Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
jimtewell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/25 13:54:15 (permalink)
If you want to rejuvenate a raise donut, just stick it in the microwave for about 6 seconds. If you like KK and are ever in the Cleveland, OH area, try JF Frost Donuts - Original receipe for over 50 years. There's only 2, but the new owners want to franchise - actually better than KK.
jimtewell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/25 13:55:49 (permalink)
By the way, I'll drive up to 4 hours for a great donut
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/25 14:16:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:
I'll take an irregularly shaped, crafted with care, cakey donut from an independent shop anyday.

Yes, these are nice. However, good luck finding them in Boston, where every corner has a Dunkin Donuts, whose doughnuts are so unappealing that they're basically just places to grab a cup of coffee anymore. (Seriously, does anyone actually like the doughnuts at DD?) Your other options in Boston are places like Twin Donuts here in Allston, which a couple of generations ago was a great doughnut shop and is now a dusty, fly-specked hovel with greasy, rancid-tasting doughnuts, or the Honeydew chain, which I swear must get its doughnuts delivered to it every two weeks. I have never gotten a doughnut from Honeydew that wasn't stale. Trust me, Krispy Kreme is a godsend for Boston doughnuts.

How's about Mike's Donuts in Everett MA. They have been reviewed on this forum. Surely there must be a few good donut shops in the Boston area. Hey, isn't Southern New England the donut capital of the US

For great donuts here in Rhode Island, Allies can't be beat
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/25 16:49:48 (permalink)
Mike's is passable. If I'm ever in Everett, which isn't often, I'll stop by for a cruller, but I've never found their doughnuts to be worth a special trip on their own, and the new Krispy Kreme is actually closer to me by some distance (and it's easier to get there via T when I'm not in the mood to deal with the idiots on the roads), so I'll probably just keep going there.
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/25 17:10:27 (permalink)
jpatweb

Closest to me is Sugarbakers - they are most known for their wedding cakes, I've known people to stay at a reception waiting for their cake. They don't have a regular menu of certain donuts but whatever they have it's good. I've gotten donuts, pastires, tarts, bar cookies ( the peanutbutter/chocolat one is to die for!) slices of their cakes ( their carrot is great) address 23 Mellor Ave, Catonsville, 410-788-9478, If you make the trip to them have them point you in the direction of Taneytown Sandwhich, it's right around the corner from them.
Next is Louise's at 2105 Gwynn Oak Ave in Woodlawn, 410-944-1711, Since I work right there at SSA, this one is too close for safety's sake! I recommend anything these ladies make, donuts, pastries, Baltimore Peach cake, schmearcaese, & their pound cake is wonderful.
The Catonsville Bakery on Edmondson Ave at the Beltway has recently reopened under new ownership. Haven't been there since the change but have heard good things.

peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 303
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/30 15:39:39 (permalink)
Round Rock Donuts.

This is the premier food attraction of Cental Texas. Round Rock Donuts is a MUST to try for anyone coming through. They are about five blocks from I-35.

I don't know if the Sterns have reviewed them, but I suggest they do. I will even buy you guys a dozen split between regular and chocolat frosted.

I take them to friends wherever I travel (when the weather is not too warm). They are always loved.

These donuts must be among the Top 5 in the world.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/07/03 15:54:12 (permalink)
I'm 64 years old but still grew up with Krispy Kreme. I recall the delight when my parents would stop by the original store on Stratford Road in Winston Salem, and a Sunday morning run with my own kids to Tom Weatherman's South Boulevard location in Charlotte or the Peace Street store in Raleigh was part of the family routine for more than 20 years. I did buy stock when they went public--and that has been almost as sweet as the donuts. I'm glad that the rest of the world can now join in!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/07/03 15:59:43 (permalink)
Hillbilly, I agree with you, I am 61 and Krispy Kreme is as good today as it was the first time I had them.

I insist on having them hot with their special coffee.

Yes, I bought their stock also and it is just as sweet.

I was in NYC a few years ago when they first opened and I saw folks line up out the door and down the street to get them. They next day, I saw them on the Today show, not as an advertisement, but astonishment on how good they were.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
jgleduc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/07/03 17:13:08 (permalink)
quote:
wanderingjew writes: For great donuts here in Rhode Island, Allies can't be beat

Oh man, do I love that place. Growing up in southern RI, a trip to Allie's was always a treat. While everything they do is good, I never feel a need to get anything more than their plain donuts and crullers: lightly sweet with a hint of vanilla and a crunchy exterior that is unequalled. Truly the epitome of a cakey donut. Years ago, before the route 4 bypass was built, one had to drive up Quaker Lane to get on the highway north toward Providence and would pass right by Allie's. Traffic was always crazy on that road then, but it was worth the risk to make the left turn into their parking lot. Now when I head down that way, staying on the new road protects me from temptation. A great place - I believe they are reviewed elsewhere on this site.

JL
peppertree
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/07/03 18:48:33 (permalink)
I live about a five minute walk from Krispy Kreme. They are very good, but on Sunday, I will drive 20 miles up to Round Rock and then back to supply my church with Round Rock Donuts. Three dozen chocolate frosted and two dozen regular round rock.

Now think, there is a reason why I drive right past Krispy Kreme for a Round Rock. Some at church prefer Krispy Kreme, but most want Round Rock Donuts.
dafidilgrl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/08/14 16:20:26 (permalink)
I work in the Wellington Business Center, right next to the new KK... every morning for 2 weeks we had at least 10 boxes of them all over the office. FINALLY it stopped... I like the glazed w/chocolate icing and sprinkles :) yum.
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

So the first KK opened in Massachusetts this morning, in Medford. naturally, my friends J and L and I went to the opening festivities. (Their media manipulation is truly remarkable, and it's always fun to take part in something like that.) If you've had a Krispy Kreme, these are just like the ones you've had, only you don't have to be in the South anymore. If you haven't, L. pretty much nailed the traditional glazed when she said it tastes like air enrobed by sugar. They're very light, very sweet, and extremely tender, especially when hot off the machine. My favorites, the raspberry filled, are only slightly less ethereal. The cake doughnuts are fairly workmanlike, but tasty enough when fresh.

Krispy Kreme's coffee used to suck, but supposedly they've been working on it lately. I didn't have any.

I do wonder how well KK will do in the long run in New England: I don't doubt that they'll thrive, but they're southern-style doughnuts, and the standard in NE is for cake donuts, usually not glazed and only barely sweet. They're better than Dunkin Donuts -- DD's product has been useless for a good twenty years, which is why they only do ads for the coffee (which is sublime) anymore -- but all I know is that my wife, a dyed-in-the-wool lifetime Allstonian, doesn't much like Krispy Kremes at all. She says they're too fluffy, too sweet, and kinda cloying.

The decor is '50s pastel, which is my favorite of the various options KK offers for their franchises, and it's quite easy to reach via T: Orange Line north to Wellington, exit via the parking garage and you're right there. J and L had a worse time getting there by car, but unlike a comparable store in Boston proper, at least there's parking.

There were junior high gymnasts singing a Krispy Kreme jingle to the tune of "The Safety Dance." This is why I go to these openings.

Texicana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/08/15 09:10:10 (permalink)
No Krispy Kreme franchises in my town but the independents here aren't bad at all.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/04 15:00:41 (permalink)
CNN just included a most interesting Krispy Kreme feature in one of its news segments. As frequently as they repeat most of their features, it will probably be played again a dozen times today before its finally retired.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/04 15:07:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Liketoeat

. As frequently as they repeat most of their features, it will probably be played again a dozen times today before its finally retired.

Kind of like this thread
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/04 15:46:58 (permalink)
I went by the Krispy Kreme of my childhood last month, the original on Stratford Road in Winston- Salem, NC, and couldn't believe my eyes. They are replacing the old classic store with a new design, and it just is not the same. I sent an e-mail of protest (as a stockholder as well as a 60 year devotee of KK as the standard for excellence in donuts) and received the "business upgrade" letter in response. It broke my heart to see this old institution going away.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/04 15:58:00 (permalink)
Though there are no KK's in this area, I'm surely sorry to hear of the change, Hillbilly, from KK experiences elsewhere in the past.
And as to retirement of this thread, wanderingjew, I personally hope that it and all other threads remain non-retired so long as there are persons around who are interested in the topics, regardless of whether they are or are not subjects of interest to me.(PS -typo correction)
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/04 16:12:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Liketoeat

And as to retirement of this thread, wanderingjew, I personally hope that it and all other threads remain non-retired so long as there are persons around who are interested in the topics, regardless of whether they are or are not subjects of interest to me.(PS -typo correction)

Oh come on! Where's your sense of humor
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/04 16:40:55 (permalink)
Just calling it as I read it from your comment and snarly and frowny faces used with the post. Truly happy I misinterprerted. My apologies.
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/04 18:16:52 (permalink)
The fact that there isn't a KK convenient to where I live or work is why I'm not 50 pounds heavier. Apart from the hot-off-the-belt originals, they make the best raspberry jellys these days - others tend to have a cloying goo for filling; these have a kind of pleasing granular texture.
peppertree
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/04 20:24:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Yumbo, there is a place that can fulfill your desires, but you'll have to travel to Texas. Lone Star Bakery, in my home town of Round Rock, TX, is the purveyor of the famous "Round Rock Donut". The recipe dates back over 70 years. I thought it was funny that when Krispy Kreme opened up a store here in Round Rock, it really didn't make much difference after the first week or two. People here love the local thing.

Here's their link, and I hope you (and the rest of the Roadfooders) can visit sometime:
http://www.roundrockdonuts.com/index.html

I like Krispy Kreme, but a bad Round Rock Donut beats a good Krispy Kreme.

There is a free donut coupon that is printable for Krispy Kreme on the web. I assume that it is available at their web site.
Lucky Bishop
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/05 01:37:34 (permalink)
Why print a coupon when they hand you a freebie the second you walk in the door?
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/05 08:12:19 (permalink)
Looking for good doughnuts in Boston?? Try Kane's in neighboring Saugus (10 miles up Rt. 1). A paradise of hand-made mounds of round!
Lucky Bishop
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/05 15:45:23 (permalink)
Although if you're going to Kane's, skip the doughnuts proper, which are nothing special. Get the coffee roll, which is about nine inches across and about four inches thick (I am not exaggerating, I took a ruler to it once), and dripping with cinnamon icing. If there are two of you, order one and split it. I've never been able to finish one in a sitting, and I'm known for my trencherman ways.
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/05 16:01:06 (permalink)
You're so right, Bishop! Stick with the age-old rule of never eating something bigger than your head!
jfwest
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/25 17:03:26 (permalink)
I grew up in the South where KK's were a staple. Was living in Cincinnati several years ago when a KK franchise opened. You would have thought the pope had come for a visit. With so many great bakeries and donut shops in that part of the world (particularly in Cleveland), I could never figure out the draw of Krispy Kremes. Moved back to the South and watched one of the original shops close up and move to another location. The locals swear to this day that Krispy Kreme has gone out of business since that shop is gone. As for me and mine, a "real" donut tastes similar to the ones that Dunkin Donut prepares. However, none of this matters today as Dr. Atkins has put all of them on indefinite suspension.
peppertree
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/25 17:52:09 (permalink)
Well "in your face KK." Round Rock Donuts opened near KK in South Austin this week. Not only is a RR donut better, but it cost two thirds of a KK.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/26 07:08:39 (permalink)
JFWest: I too am on the Atkins diet. Just finished my two week induction phase. I passed by the KK doughnut factory this morning and they were cooking heck out of donuts. The wonderful aroma attacked my olafactory senses so intense that it was all I could do to talk my brain out of doing a 180 degree turn for a half dozen of those tasty brown morsels.

I talked my brain out of doing wrong and passed on. My brain was lying to me and tried to talk me out of my decision.

Sometimes I think I am too old to be doing this nonsense.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/09/26 08:48:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

JFWest: talked my brain out of doing wrong and passed on. My brain was lying to me and tried to talk me out of my decision.

Sometimes I think I am too old to be doing this nonsense.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I keep trying to convince myself that Krispy Cremes are dreadful and that I dislike them intensely. The truth of the matter is that I could sit down with a glass of skim (LOL) milk and easily eat four at one sitting.

I have not had one in ages........but going down to my condo in Florida in a couple of weeks and there is a Krispy Creme shop in the area that has been there for years.........my brain might tell me not to be foolish and I might just walk right in and enjoy!
LizzieR
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/10/02 21:46:55 (permalink)
Lucky Bishop, not all Krispy Kremes offer a free doughnut. I have been to many in the New York metropolitan area and only recently found a new store in Huntington, Long Island that actually hands you a hot, fresh one for free. Good to know if you live in the area and they are as delicious as ever.
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/10/03 13:58:17 (permalink)
*checks Krispy Kreme big book o'Donut Etiquette*

NO !!

Says right here on page 98, paragraph 4, subsection B ..... they offer them free, so you take'em free !!! NO GUILT involved !!!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1