Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!!

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
2003/03/07 09:39:01 (permalink)

Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!!

YUM ! Right off the cooking line. So light and airy they melt in your mouth. I can almost eat a dozen before I even know it !

90 Replies Related Threads

yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/03/07 15:24:34 (permalink)
    Don't get me wrong. I love Krispy Kreme, but I grew up in NC, and as I recall they were all over the place. So I'm a little puzzled about the big fuss over Krispy Kremes. Out here in Issaquah (near Seattle) the new franchise caused humongous traffic jams.

Are there any other doughnut franchises that make a glazed doughnut with that same melt-in-your-mouth quality?

-Yumbo (Seattle WA)
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/03/07 23:51:24 (permalink)
    No, there aren't any other donut franchises that offer the airy goodness that Krispt Kreme does. That's what makes them so distinctive. I adore those darn things, especially the uber-decadent creme-filled ones. Eating one of those suckers must be akin to how Eve felt when offered the apple. My better half, however, despises Krispys and prefers the snazzier Dunkin' Donuts. The strawberry frosted ones. May he someday return from the Dark Side.
    Xiara71
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/03/09 17:40:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kristi Siegel

No, there aren't any other donut franchises that offer the airy goodness that Krispt Kreme does. That's what makes them so distinctive. I adore those darn things, especially the uber-decadent creme-filled ones. Eating one of those suckers must be akin to how Eve felt when offered the apple. My better half, however, despises Krispys and prefers the snazzier Dunkin' Donuts. The strawberry frosted ones. May he someday return from the Dark Side.

I hope he does too. I love Krispy Kremes. There used to be a couple of shops in the Richmond, VA area. Now there is only 1. The hot glazed ones are fabulous. Dunkin' Donuts are vastly inferior to the golden fluffiness of a 'Hot One'.
    bumper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/03/09 22:26:16 (permalink)
    Yes their is another donut shop that makes great donuts by hand that I rate as good as any Krispy Kreme donut ! The name of the shop is Richy Kreme DoNuts 2601 Old Knoxville Hwy in Maryville Tennessee . Check them out if yor even in the area .
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/04/07 17:11:42 (permalink)
    I agree with Bumper. The place he referes to is around Eagleton Village in Maryville. The only problem is there is only one and when they sell out, they close which can be anytime of the day. They are great, but Krispy Kreme is ubiquitous, their quality is consistent, they are open a lot of hours and all in all, I rate them the best.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/04/07 19:07:59 (permalink)
    Yumbo, there is a place that can fulfill your desires, but you'll have to travel to Texas. Lone Star Bakery, in my home town of Round Rock, TX, is the purveyor of the famous "Round Rock Donut". The recipe dates back over 70 years. I thought it was funny that when Krispy Kreme opened up a store here in Round Rock, it really didn't make much difference after the first week or two. People here love the local thing.

Here's their link, and I hope you (and the rest of the Roadfooders) can visit sometime:
    http://www.roundrockdonuts.com/index.html

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/04/07 19:29:21 (permalink)
    If you ever have the opportunity to buy a Krispy Kreme hot, buy them and eat them in the shop with some of their wonderful coffee. The newer shops they are opening are beautiful with their red, green and white ceramics and the viewing area of the donut cooking area is a show within itself. I even like their clothing option and gift store. Nothing beats a hot Krispy Kreme. I am from Knoxville, TN and we have had Krispy Kremes here for at least 50 years, but we race the NHRA circuit and in Ontario, CA, we went to the Krispy Kreme as early as 5:00AM and they were packed and we went as late as 10:00PM and they were packed. I ate six one time. They only bad thing is they get larger once they are eaten.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/04/07 19:59:08 (permalink)
    We've had Krispy Kremes in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA all of my life. . I like to get half a dozen glazed and then usually a few glazed with chocolate icing or stuffed with sweet creme.
    The only problem, and I believe it's been noted here before---is that they don't hold up well. After several hours, the glazed get stale fast and just don't seem to be worth the calories.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/04/07 20:08:10 (permalink)
    I agree with you as after a few hours, they ain't so good, but neither is any other donut. You can nuke them and they sorta return to normal. I wish I had bought their stock when they were a new issue. Nothing beats a hot Krispy Kreme

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    fdm813
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/04/08 02:26:10 (permalink)
    I live in Roanoke, Va. I have a Krispy Kreme approx 5 mins away. I work nights and pass by the KK every day about 3:30, just when they are in the middle of cooking those circles of delight. But now I must take a differant route to work. Too much temptation. It was either go a differant way or get a seat belt extention. Buy every once in awhile...........................
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/04/08 07:09:29 (permalink)
    The problem with Krispy Kreme is if you are within a mile radius, they snag you with their olafactory fish hook. Gee whiz, they smell good!!!

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Frankman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/04/09 11:11:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I agree with you as after a few hours, they ain't so good, but neither is any other donut. You can nuke them and they sorta return to normal. I wish I had bought their stock when they were a new issue. Nothing beats a hot Krispy Kreme

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I was introduced to Krispy Kreme when I lived in Florida in the mid 80's. Haven't had one since, until they came to Connecticut. My first reaction to the hot donut was a very oily taste. How could this be the donut I used to love so much? I had bought two and I had the other when I got home. Whew! Now that's the Krispy Kreme I know and love. I guess I dont like them "Hot Now".
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/04/09 11:20:02 (permalink)
    I love them hot and unfortunately they don't like me. Last experience I had was I bought a dozen hot and a quart of cold milk. They were so hot and soft that I inhaled about 4-5 in minutes. I guess it was the yeast and milk that made them get larger. I had to get some Pepcid, PDQ. They were still good, but I do not do that anymore. Two max.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lvw
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/04/09 12:17:35 (permalink)
    We had our first hot KKs while in Las Vegas. We were at a rockabilly festival and would stumble back to the hotel every night at about 2 or 3 am after a night of music and drinking cheap booze. There was a KK in the hotel next door (the Excalibur), so the four of us would split a dozen, glug some milk and then head back to the hotel to sleep until noon the next day. I have to say, I never had a hangover the whole trip. Of course, I weighed about 10 pounds heavier.

Our favorites were the glazed and the sour cream. Ah, the memories....[|)]

Lisa
    ykslam
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/05/25 21:32:49 (permalink)
    It seems that Krispy Kremes are avaiable everywhere now.
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/05/28 22:23:00 (permalink)
    We're in the heart of Kreme country here. I have a friend that swears her husband can hear the "Hot and Fresh Now" sign go on from 'way across the county.

Phil's on Church St. near downtown Burlington, NC, makes really good fresh doughnuts. Give those a try if you're in the area.
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/05/30 08:36:46 (permalink)
    I've never liked Krispy Kremes all that much, even hot. They seem kind of insubstantial. But I love going to the shop and watching that big donut-making machine, with the workers scooping up the fresh donuts with chopsticks. That's entertainment!
    pmtn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/08 20:35:49 (permalink)
    how is it that a small portion of our culinary experts can be addicted to a minute pastry? albiet, kk's are pleasing, yet not high cusine, another void filled.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/08 20:56:28 (permalink)
    I grew up in South Central PA. No Krispy Kremes there (as least not when I was growing up). My first taste of them was in Miami. We were on vacation and we saw the sign that said "Hot Donuts" and we almost caused an accident doing a U-turn. Now that I live in MD, I get them on a fairly regular basis. Whenever I need a hit.

In Alexandria, VA, Krispy Kreme has one of their factories. And traffic is already bad in that area! Sheesh!

In S. Cent. PA, we had Maple Donuts. Great sugary glazed donuts, and a good size bigger than your average Krispy Kreme. I wonder what one of those would be like hot? Mmmmmmmm......
    http://www.mapledonuts.com/

Meowzart
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/24 15:48:47 (permalink)
    So the first KK opened in Massachusetts this morning, in Medford. naturally, my friends J and L and I went to the opening festivities. (Their media manipulation is truly remarkable, and it's always fun to take part in something like that.) If you've had a Krispy Kreme, these are just like the ones you've had, only you don't have to be in the South anymore. If you haven't, L. pretty much nailed the traditional glazed when she said it tastes like air enrobed by sugar. They're very light, very sweet, and extremely tender, especially when hot off the machine. My favorites, the raspberry filled, are only slightly less ethereal. The cake doughnuts are fairly workmanlike, but tasty enough when fresh.

Krispy Kreme's coffee used to suck, but supposedly they've been working on it lately. I didn't have any.

I do wonder how well KK will do in the long run in New England: I don't doubt that they'll thrive, but they're southern-style doughnuts, and the standard in NE is for cake donuts, usually not glazed and only barely sweet. They're better than Dunkin Donuts -- DD's product has been useless for a good twenty years, which is why they only do ads for the coffee (which is sublime) anymore -- but all I know is that my wife, a dyed-in-the-wool lifetime Allstonian, doesn't much like Krispy Kremes at all. She says they're too fluffy, too sweet, and kinda cloying.

The decor is '50s pastel, which is my favorite of the various options KK offers for their franchises, and it's quite easy to reach via T: Orange Line north to Wellington, exit via the parking garage and you're right there. J and L had a worse time getting there by car, but unlike a comparable store in Boston proper, at least there's parking.

There were junior high gymnasts singing a Krispy Kreme jingle to the tune of "The Safety Dance." This is why I go to these openings.

jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/24 16:47:30 (permalink)
    I might be in the minority here but I find KK's donuts to be mostly forgettable.

I'll take an irregularly shaped, crafted with care, cakey donut from an independent shop anyday.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/24 16:55:39 (permalink)
    That is the reason there is chocolate and vanilla. Something for everybody, me, I'll go with a KK anyday. My all time favorite.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/24 17:01:48 (permalink)
    My favorite has always been the Dixie Cream doughnuts (next to my Daddy's homemade!)

I pass on the Krispy Kremes, not enough substance to merit the calories!
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/24 21:24:19 (permalink)
    The Baltimore Sun had an article in todays Business section about KK opening it's first store in Australia! McD's here comes KK.. I don't particularly care for KK myself too many good local bakeries. Around KK is everywhere, every grocerystore has KK in them.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/25 08:47:18 (permalink)
    ocdreamer: Any donuts you can recommend in the B'more area? Like so many other things that are bad for you, the pickings are slim down here in DC?
    quote:
    Originally posted by ocdreamr

The Baltimore Sun had an article in todays Business section about KK opening it's first store in Australia! McD's here comes KK.. I don't particularly care for KK myself too many good local bakeries. Around KK is everywhere, every grocerystore has KK in them.
    AmeriKenArtist
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/25 08:54:14 (permalink)
    Krispy Kreme opened their first franchise in Medford Mass., a suburb of Boston. There is a rush toward that store! I don't want to fight eight miles of Boston Traffic, so I'll have to settle for DD, which seems to be on every block here!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/25 08:58:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jpatweb

I might be in the minority here but I find KK's donuts to be mostly forgettable.

I'll take an irregularly shaped, crafted with care, cakey donut from an independent shop anyday.

AB-SO-FREAKIN-LUTELY!!!!!
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/25 13:06:50 (permalink)
    quote:

Yes, these are nice. However, good luck finding them in Boston, where every corner has a Dunkin Donuts, whose doughnuts are so unappealing that they're basically just places to grab a cup of coffee anymore. (Seriously, does anyone actually like the doughnuts at DD?) Your other options in Boston are places like Twin Donuts here in Allston, which a couple of generations ago was a great doughnut shop and is now a dusty, fly-specked hovel with greasy, rancid-tasting doughnuts, or the Honeydew chain, which I swear must get its doughnuts delivered to it every two weeks. I have never gotten a doughnut from Honeydew that wasn't stale. Trust me, Krispy Kreme is a godsend for Boston doughnuts.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot and Fresh Krispy Creme !!! 2003/06/25 13:49:02 (permalink)
    Yeah, the complaints about DD seem to be universal, which is really too bad. I think deep down everyone has fond memories of it and would like it to be better.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1