Hot and Sour Soup

Author
Netfeather
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
2003/10/13 17:17:53 (permalink)

Hot and Sour Soup

I'm on a mission to find the best hot and sour soup in Chicago...and eventually in every other city I visit.

Any suggestions.....

23 Replies Related Threads

mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/10/13 19:29:26 (permalink)
    My all time favorite Hot and Sour soup was at Hong Min on Cermak in Chinatown. The restaraunt burnt down over the summer but I have been told that they will be rebuilding shortly. They also have a location in Palos Hills (708-599-8488) After that my next favorite place for Hot and Sour is Shui Wah in Chinatown square.

I also liked the Hot and Sout at Pickup Stix. They are from
    the West Coast and are begining to popup in the Western Suburbs. The soup did come close to Hong Min or Shui Wah but was pretty good for a gringo version.
    hilldweller
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/10/15 15:19:40 (permalink)
    This isn't going to help with your quest but I love hot and sour soup! I've probably never even had really good h&s soup, just variations on standard takeout. But I imagine that there's no such thing as "bad" h&s soup, the worst I'd assume is adequately mediocre; after all how badly can something so simple be messed up anyway?
    baybey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/10/15 15:25:12 (permalink)
    Does anyone know if hot and sour soup is authentic Chinese or invented here--for that matter what about wonton soup or egg drop soup?
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/10/15 16:34:34 (permalink)
    My husband makes hot & sour that's as good or better than most restaurants! Once you buy the dried mushrooms at the Chinese grocery and store them in airtight containers in your pantry, there's nothing else too out of the ordinary that goes into the recipe.
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/10/15 17:20:21 (permalink)
    Hot and Sour is authentic, (I can't speak to won ton, and egg drop, but I imagine they are too). I first had H&S in Chicago at a place called Charlie Lui's (long gone) near Wrigley. It quickley became my favorite soup.

Its really pretty easy to make if you can find the dried wood ear (a tree fungus). I actually made it from a Weight Watcher's recipe a few weeks ago. The proportions were just right. I think the only concession to dietary concerns was the omission of the egg yolk (I'll use the whole egg the next time). I made it with some pork stock I had in the freezer, because it seems like a porky kind of soup (the recipe called for chicken stock). I also substituted champagne vinegar in lieu of the rice wine vinegar (we were out). This lent a slight 'winey' taste to it. I'm sure it'll be better with rice vinegar.

Success lies in the proportions of vinegar to chili paste, and a steady hand on the thickening with corn starch...too thin is better than too thick in my book.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/10/20 15:07:59 (permalink)
    Netfeather, if you ever find yourself in Rockville, MD, you owe it to your hot-and-sour-soup-lovin' soul to eat at Joe's Noodle House. Here's a link to their menu...
    http://www.joesnoodlehouse.com/menu.html
    dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/10/20 15:19:07 (permalink)
    Best I've had (no help in Chicago, sorry) is in Boston at Moon Villa on Edinboro St. in Chinatown. This version uses chicken stock with a slight amount of tomato/cayenne added, whole egg, wood ears, all the regular veggies, tofu, sprouts and shredded pork. When I make this at home I add ginger ale (Blenheim if I have it) to the stock for a little added zip.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/12/29 11:26:39 (permalink)
    Americans sometimes speak of judging a Chinese restaurant by its hot and sour soup. Generally, I will not patronize a Chinese restaurant unless the hot and sour soup is fairly good.

I’ve eaten hot and sour soup about every week of my life—somewhere—since 1982; that's twenty plus years of enjoying my favorite Asian soup. In Lexington, I dine on Chinese fare at Asian Wind in Palomar Centre. The food is great and their hot and sour soup is the best I’ve eaten anywhere. A whole lot of other people say the same.

Asian Wind's hot and sour soup is made with rich pork stock, lean pork, eggs, wood ears and regular mushrooms, soy sauce, salt, white vinegar, white pepper, crushed red chilies, bamboo shoots and tofu. One thing that separates this hot and sour soup from others is the additon of oyster flavored sauce. I should mention the soup is made fresh each day and has no MSG.

I heard my brother once say he could eat hot and sour soup every day of his life. I've thought that too.
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/12/29 11:45:12 (permalink)
    For truly authentic soup, pork stock is necessary. Wood ears and lily buds are necessary. Most importantly, red vinegar for sour and white pepper (not chili) for heat are essential.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/12/29 11:59:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by essvee

For truly authentic soup, pork stock is necessary. Wood ears and lily buds are necessary. Most importantly, red vinegar for sour and white pepper (not chili) for heat are essential.

Try Chunkiang or black Chinese vinegar. I also cheat on the pork stock and use Knorr Chinese Style Ham Bouillon Mix that I get at my local Asian market.
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/12/29 12:12:42 (permalink)
    Haven't done with the Chunkiang yet, Grampy. Thanks for the tip.
    vinelady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/12/29 14:30:13 (permalink)
    There is such as thing as bad Hot and Sour soup. I had this one restaurant try to serve me Sweet and Sour sauce with some meat, vegies and chili paste as a H&S. Yukky

Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/12/29 14:38:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by vinelady

There is such as thing as bad Hot and Sour soup. I had this one restaurant try to serve me Sweet and Sour sauce with some meat, vegies and chili paste as a H&S. Yukky

Yes, there is very bad Hot and Sour soup. Some places use much too much cornstarch and very poor broth. But Sweet & Sour Soup? Sounds godawful. As I say in such situations, I would rather eat bees.
    Acuff-12
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2003/12/31 15:49:56 (permalink)
    There is a place in Germantown, MD(Off 118) called Happy Uncle. They serve great chinese food and lots of big soup dishes. They serve a "Hot and sour noodle soup" that is great. It does have mushrooms, but it is very spicy and for $6.00, its a whole meal, served in a large bowl.
    Matt
    chinesegirl
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2004/01/13 14:47:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Acuff-12

There is a place in Germantown, MD(Off 118) called Happy Uncle. They serve great chinese food and lots of big soup dishes. They serve a "Hot and sour noodle soup" that is great. It does have mushrooms, but it is very spicy and for $6.00, its a whole meal, served in a large bowl.
    Matt

I miss Happy Uncle. My favorite dish is the vegetarian bird thing. basically it's tufu skin warp with bean sprouts, served over spinach. Home style pork chop is good, too. Chinese meat ball soup is also good.
    chinesegirl
    Hamburger
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2004/01/13 15:00:40 (permalink)
    I am Chinese, and many of my "American" friends asked me how to make hot and sour soup. The thing is, my mom never taught me how to make hot and sour soup, instead, she sent me these little packages of instant hot and sour soup mix, and voila...
    [url][/url]http://www.roxytrading.com/pages/products_result.asp?cat=500

You can buy them in your local chinese grocery store.
    Acuff-12
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2004/01/16 14:24:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chinesegirl

quote:

Matt

I miss Happy Uncle. My favorite dish is the vegetarian bird thing. basically it's tufu skin warp with bean sprouts, served over spinach. Home style pork chop is good, too. Chinese meat ball soup is also good.

did you used to live in the DC area? Si I don't need to tell you of the abundance of good Asian resturants here. BUT... In checking your profile, I found you are in Pittsburg. I have inlaws there, so I go there often. Any good Asian resturants you can recomend in that area? I know that they have great Pizza and subs.
    Matt
    chinesegirl
    Hamburger
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2004/01/18 15:41:39 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by chinesegirl

quote:

Matt

did you used to live in the DC area? Si I don't need to tell you of the abundance of good Asian resturants here. BUT... In checking your profile, I found you are in Pittsburg. I have inlaws there, so I go there often. Any good Asian resturants you can recomend in that area? I know that they have great Pizza and subs.
    Matt

just checked out a Japanese restaurant "Chaya" on It's very 2104 Murray Ave., Squirrel Hill, very authentic. As far as Chinese, there's Orient Kitchen on 4808 Baum Blvd, and Tasty, a small family run place on 213 S Highland Ave.
    andypants
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2004/03/27 20:46:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

Netfeather, if you ever find yourself in Rockville, MD, you owe it to your hot-and-sour-soup-lovin' soul to eat at Joe's Noodle House.

The best kung pao I ever had was at Chef Peking in Rockville (at the corner of Rt 355 and Nicholson Lane). Most places don't use enough hoisin sauce but this was perfect. Szechuan Best in Randallstown (SW of Baltimore) is also pretty good. Both of them also have good h&s soup, but I can't really say where the best I ever had was from.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6747
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2004/03/28 01:14:06 (permalink)
    I make my own hot and sour soup and it's awesome, but time consuming, julienning all those vegetables, peeling the fresh water chestnuts, cooking the bamboo......but it's definately worth it! I like to make it REALLY HOT and REALLY SOUR!!
    The Scarlet Pumpernickel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2004/11/17 18:29:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

Netfeather, if you ever find yourself in Rockville, MD, you owe it to your hot-and-sour-soup-lovin' soul to eat at Joe's Noodle House. Here's a link to their menu...
    http://www.joesnoodlehouse.com/menu.html

I'm definitely going to visit Joe's when I'm in Wheaton next year.
    You have to love a menu that has Hot, Extra Hot and Numbing.
    I might even try the Pork Intestine with Szechuan Sauce or the Shredded Pork Ear.

TSP
    poundpod
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2004/11/17 20:03:33 (permalink)
    I know this is going to sound weird, but there is a vegan kosher Chinese restaurant in Parsippany, New Jersey called Veggie Heaven (and believe me, I've spent time in Veggie Hell) that makes the best Hot and Sour Soup I've ever eaten.

Instead of vinegar, the chef uses lime juice for the "sour," and the soup is refreshing, bracing, and spicy.

The veggie moo shu is fabulous, and I want to know how they make those fake boneless spareribs.

ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Hot and Sour Soup 2004/11/17 20:54:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by poundpod

...., and I want to know how they make those fake boneless spareribs.

What?? You don't think Tofu's have ribs?? Of course they do, you just go to your local health food store & you'll find the ribs right next to the Tofurkeys.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1