The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

 Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches

Author Message
Fieldthistle

  • Total Posts: 1948
  • Joined: 7/30/2005
  • Location: Hinton, VA
Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches Fri, 10/28/05 12:18 PM (permalink)
Hello All,
I love Wendy's Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches. But for some reason they are not consistent in their hotness.
Recently, I had a Burger King's version of Wendy's Hot and Spicy Chicken. At first, I thought I had just a chickend sandwich, then the after-burn turned on, and I enjoyed it more than the last Wendy's I had eaten. Plus, the bun was better and had corn-meal on the bottom of it, and the tomato was part of the sandwich, no extra charge.
The one good thing about fast food franchises was supposed to be consistency, but like anything with humans involved, there is never consistency despite what system is created to deliver a product.
Which place in your area serves the best hot and spicy chicken product?
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
 
#1
    Adjudicator

    • Total Posts: 5057
    • Joined: 5/20/2003
    • Location: Tallahassee, FL
    RE: Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches Fri, 10/28/05 8:30 PM (permalink)
    Next time you are at Wendy's, tell them you want a chicken filet sandwich cooked-to-order (this will NOT work @ drive-thru window). They may "bitch & complain", AND you will have to wait about 10 min. or so, BUT they will do it if you persist. In the meantime, since you have to wait anyway, tell them you want an order of fries cooked without salt. Again, they are obliged to comply.
    When they had a salad bar, I would do this all the time. The best chicken sandwich from Wendy's I ever had was sandwich cooked as above with cheese, extra onions, lots of alfalfa sprouts, and ranch dressing from the salad bar.
    BTW, once you have gotten your hot, freshly cooked salt-free fries, be sure to request about 6-7 salt packets for your fries (more=better).

    Other tips:

    When ordering chili; request that your chili be served from container located at the drive-thru area (freshest). Make sure they STIR same A LOT before they put into container (watch them).

    Potatoes:

    Regardless of toppings, request your potato to be pulled from warming cabinet reserved for "plain potato (with s. cream, etc.) drawer.

    Burgers:

    If you order a burger and there is no meat on the grill; leave the premises pronto.

    Frosties:

    Never order a Frosty afthe 5 PM unless the establishment is mega busy all of the time.

    Toppings (if you like)

    Always ask for extra (whole piece) lettuce, same with tomatoes, pickles, onions, & mustard.

    Requests for extra ketchup will usually result in a disaster, similar but not so bad for mayo.

    Pre-made salads: Avoid after 3 PM unless, once again, the establishment is mega busy all of the time.




     
    #2
      stricken_detective

      • Total Posts: 2330
      • Joined: 3/10/2004
      • Location: the 262
      RE: Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches Tue, 11/1/05 12:50 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Regardless of toppings, request your potato to be pulled from warming cabinet reserved for "plain potato (with s. cream, etc.) drawer.
      As a former Wendy's employee, I gotta tell you, there is only 1 drawer for all the potatoes, once they are done cooking. They all start out the same. What you DON'T want, is the liquid margarine they pour on it before the cheese sauce/broccoli, chili, bacon, etc. Make sure they know that. It has nothing to do w/any drawer, it's the "butter" in the squeeze bottle, which is not actually butter, but hydrogenated bullcrap that is margarine.

      I like Wendy's Spicy Chicken the best. Ask them for the Chili Hot Sauce to go with it, and extra mayo, no lettuce. YUM
       
      #3
        Adjudicator

        • Total Posts: 5057
        • Joined: 5/20/2003
        • Location: Tallahassee, FL
        RE: Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches Tue, 11/1/05 8:42 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by stricken_detective

        quote:
        Regardless of toppings, request your potato to be pulled from warming cabinet reserved for "plain potato (with s. cream, etc.) drawer.
        As a former Wendy's employee, I gotta tell you, there is only 1 drawer for all the potatoes, once they are done cooking. They all start out the same. What you DON'T want, is the liquid margarine they pour on it before the cheese sauce/broccoli, chili, bacon, etc. Make sure they know that. It has nothing to do w/any drawer, it's the "butter" in the squeeze bottle, which is not actually butter, but hydrogenated bullcrap that is margarine.

        I like Wendy's Spicy Chicken the best. Ask them for the Chili Hot Sauce to go with it, and extra mayo, no lettuce. YUM



        I tend to disagree about the potatoes. The potatoes for Wendy's plain potato with sour cream & chives has a holding time of one hour.
        All other types of potato -- holding time TWO hours. Logically, after one hour all unsold potatoes from SC&C drawer are pulled any put into another part of the warming drawer. Depending upon the demand for the bakers, employees are supposed to drop a new batch into the convection oven every 30 minutes. In reality, however, I would bet that NONE of these procedures occur anymore, as Wendy's is now in contol of the corporate bean counters. If the location is franchised, be sure to expect 3X lower quality. Wendy's now does NOTHING similar as compared to the days of yore. Their "quality" now is only perceived by the public at large as being better than the other FF choices. In reality, they are much worse.
         
        #4
          stricken_detective

          • Total Posts: 2330
          • Joined: 3/10/2004
          • Location: the 262
          RE: Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches Tue, 11/1/05 9:35 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Adjudicator
          I tend to disagree about the potatoes. The potatoes for Wendy's plain potato with sour cream & chives has a holding time of one hour.
          All other types of potato -- holding time TWO hours. Logically, after one hour all unsold potatoes from SC&C drawer are pulled any put into another part of the warming drawer. Depending upon the demand for the bakers, employees are supposed to drop a new batch into the convection oven every 30 minutes. In reality, however, I would bet that NONE of these procedures occur anymore, as Wendy's is now in contol of the corporate bean counters. If the location is franchised, be sure to expect 3X lower quality. Wendy's now does NOTHING similar as compared to the days of yore. Their "quality" now is only perceived by the public at large as being better than the other FF choices. In reality, they are much worse.
          Ahhhhh, ok. I see what you are saying now. And no, the Wendy's I worked at did not do that.

          To me, the "quality" people speak of when they speak of Wendy's means they will make your food to order, unlike McD's & others. & also the flavor. But that is only my own personal perception.
           
          #5
            Lucky Bishop

            • Total Posts: 1049
            • Joined: 6/9/2003
            • Location: Allston, MA
            RE: Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches Tue, 11/1/05 10:38 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Adjudicator

            In the meantime, since you have to wait anyway, tell them you want an order of fries cooked without salt. Again, they are obliged to comply.
            BTW, once you have gotten your hot, freshly cooked salt-free fries, be sure to request about 6-7 salt packets for your fries (more=better).



            You're gonna have to explain this one to me. Why on earth are salt-free fries that have been salted after they're served (which means that the salt clumps and slides off instead of sticking to the hot greasy just-out-of-the-oil chips, as god intended) better than the regular ones? They may be two minutes or so fresher -- probably no more than that, unless you're going to Wendy's at some ridiculous time like 9 p.m. -- but they'll be infinitely less appetizing.
             
            #6
              Adjudicator

              • Total Posts: 5057
              • Joined: 5/20/2003
              • Location: Tallahassee, FL
              RE: Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches Wed, 11/2/05 6:40 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

              quote:
              Originally posted by Adjudicator

              In the meantime, since you have to wait anyway, tell them you want an order of fries cooked without salt. Again, they are obliged to comply.
              BTW, once you have gotten your hot, freshly cooked salt-free fries, be sure to request about 6-7 salt packets for your fries (more=better).



              You're gonna have to explain this one to me. Why on earth are salt-free fries that have been salted after they're served (which means that the salt clumps and slides off instead of sticking to the hot greasy just-out-of-the-oil chips, as god intended) better than the regular ones? They may be two minutes or so fresher -- probably no more than that, unless you're going to Wendy's at some ridiculous time like 9 p.m. -- but they'll be infinitely less appetizing.


              You take the salt to confuse the employees. The fries are better since they are hot out of the oil. Most FF places have "by the book" holding times of 5 minutes. When was the last time you think most of them followed THAT rule?
               
              #7
                Rev.Bucky

                • Total Posts: 57
                • Joined: 5/3/2004
                • Location: Medford, OR
                RE: Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches Wed, 11/9/05 5:53 AM (permalink)
                A few more rules to add to the ones below...

                Only do this once per store, or if you continue to, make sure it is always a different employee.

                Make sure there is no place the employees can place, or hold your food where you can't see it, if not...

                Be ready to eat phlegm, or hamburgers tenderized by the old shoe and floor process.

                By the way, the old salt free fry trick, while cute and effective has a tendency to really tick off minimum wage employees who are overworked, overstressed, and sick of having to hold a fake smile, see my BE READY rule, and, well, be ready!!!

                quote:
                Originally posted by Adjudicator

                Next time you are at Wendy's, tell them you want a chicken filet sandwich cooked-to-order (this will NOT work @ drive-thru window). They may "bitch & complain", AND you will have to wait about 10 min. or so, BUT they will do it if you persist. In the meantime, since you have to wait anyway, tell them you want an order of fries cooked without salt. Again, they are obliged to comply.
                When they had a salad bar, I would do this all the time. The best chicken sandwich from Wendy's I ever had was sandwich cooked as above with cheese, extra onions, lots of alfalfa sprouts, and ranch dressing from the salad bar.
                BTW, once you have gotten your hot, freshly cooked salt-free fries, be sure to request about 6-7 salt packets for your fries (more=better).

                Other tips:

                When ordering chili; request that your chili be served from container located at the drive-thru area (freshest). Make sure they STIR same A LOT before they put into container (watch them).

                Potatoes:

                Regardless of toppings, request your potato to be pulled from warming cabinet reserved for "plain potato (with s. cream, etc.) drawer.

                Burgers:

                If you order a burger and there is no meat on the grill; leave the premises pronto.

                Frosties:

                Never order a Frosty afthe 5 PM unless the establishment is mega busy all of the time.

                Toppings (if you like)

                Always ask for extra (whole piece) lettuce, same with tomatoes, pickles, onions, & mustard.

                Requests for extra ketchup will usually result in a disaster, similar but not so bad for mayo.

                Pre-made salads: Avoid after 3 PM unless, once again, the establishment is mega busy all of the time.





                 
                #8
                  jellybear

                  • Total Posts: 1135
                  • Joined: 10/15/2003
                  • Location: surf city, NC
                  RE: Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches Wed, 11/9/05 8:17 AM (permalink)
                  It must be a joy to see you walk in the restaurant.
                   
                  #9
                    DamnTheCowboys

                    • Total Posts: 69
                    • Joined: 7/15/2006
                    • Location: Richmond, VA
                    RE: Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches Sun, 07/16/06 3:11 PM (permalink)
                    Having trouble with the consistency of the hot and spicy chicken sammich at Wendy's? Here's a tip. I do this all the time with the Hardees 99 cent spicy chicken sammich- if you go to Hooters, order a side of 3 Mile island sauce when you leave. You can also buy this stuff in some grocery stores. Drizzle the 3 mile sauce liberally on your chicken sammich from wendy's or wherever. It gives it a great flavor plus more heat. I also like to add mustard but that's just me.
                     
                    #10
                      PapaJoe8

                      • Total Posts: 5504
                      • Joined: 1/13/2006
                      • Location: Dallas... DFW area
                      RE: Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches Mon, 07/17/06 1:14 PM (permalink)
                      Churches has one now I think? Anyone tried it?
                      Joe
                       
                      #11
                        dreamzpainter

                        • Total Posts: 1609
                        • Joined: 2/6/2005
                        • Location: jacksonville, FL
                        RE: Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches Mon, 07/17/06 1:32 PM (permalink)
                        all those commercials for hot and spicey sandwichs leave me rolling on the floor, I have yet to find one that is more than just above bland, you can add taco bells "fire" sauce to the list of c'mon get real , wheres the heat..... pass the serranos please
                         
                        #12
                          Adjudicator

                          • Total Posts: 5057
                          • Joined: 5/20/2003
                          • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                          RE: Hot and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches Mon, 07/17/06 9:11 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Parses6

                          quote:
                          Originally posted by jellybear

                          It must be a joy to see you walk in the restaurant.


                          my thoughts exactly. If you are going to the same Wendy's, you may have some "extras" added to your food for being a pain in the rear


                          Not when you know the franchise owner...
                           
                          #13
                            Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                            Jump to:

                            Current active users

                            There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                            Icon Legend and Permission

                            • New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

                            2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com