Sunflo9968
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Flagged as Spam (1)
2005/09/02 11:28:26 (permalink)

Hot dog cart

Hi All, I would like to know if anyone is or knows of anyone selling
a hot dog cart. My location is "down the shore" Jersey! My wife and i
are looking to open up a hot dog stand here. Thanks for any help.

58 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/02 12:41:18 (permalink)
    Visit ebay and type in "Hot Dog Cart" or "Concession" in the search box. They have several pages worth. Also check www.craigslist.org to see if there's something in your area.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/02 12:43:36 (permalink)
    you can also do a topic search in here, there a number of threads related to dog carts etc
    festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/04 11:28:13 (permalink)
    I would also check with your town.Some areas are easy to set up in,some don't allow them at all,and some you have to buy an existing vending license since they won't issue new ones.Every area is different.I would check with your town first,then the health inspector,and would highly suggest an enclosed concession trailer with a 3 bay sink and hand wash sink,which many areas require(approved sink set up),also being self contained and out of the elements is a big plus.I would look at ebay and also
    www.concessiontrailers.com
    www.usedrides.com (look under used concession trailers for sale)
    There are also hotdog cart manufacturers websites that are pretty informative,but remember they are trying to sell you equipment,and their income projections are a little"optimistic",and the prices of new carts are pretty expensive.Check your local classifieds and want ad type papers,that's where I found my 2 Waymatic trailers,at incredible prices,it took a while to find them for the prices I did,but if you keep looking they will pop up.I actually bought a fully set up hot dog truck,that was inspected and fully equipped,and professionally painted that just needed a new carb,that was sitting in someones back yard for $300.00 beleive it or not,it was a 1978 converted step van but it was clean and in nice shape,the persons wife used it a few years earlier,and he just wanted it out of their yard.I bought it and sold it a few months later for $4000.If you keep looking you will find one.I have seen NY city style push carts sell for $300 to $400 by people who just did not want them anymore.
    Good Luck!
    Jim
    Sunflo9968
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/05 00:50:28 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone for all the info and great advise! My wife and i
    are looking to start-up business next summer. In the meantime we will
    look for a good deal on a cart.Right now i work 40-84 hrs a week..
    I would rather spend that time selling hot dogs and making a few bucks! Thanks again
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/05 01:09:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sunflo9968

Thanks to everyone for all the info and great advise! My wife and i
    are looking to start-up business next summer. In the meantime we will
    look for a good deal on a cart.Right now i work 40-84 hrs a week..
    I would rather spend that time selling hot dogs and making a few bucks! Thanks again

I'd go part time before tossing the guranteed income... There's nothing "for sure" in this life...
    Sunflo9968
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/05 11:48:10 (permalink)
    Part time first.. see what happens. Thats the plan.
    ScooterNJ
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/13 07:26:52 (permalink)
    I am from NJ as well...and got a cart off of Ebay 4 years ago for $400.00. Just yesterday, Sept 12th, I got it registered and licenced. The cart is actually one of the trailer cart types, not with bicycle wheels. Registration was $15.00 and took 15 minutes. Since it had no title or anything, I was told to register it as a homemade cart.

Now maybe it can make me some money and not just be used for parties.
    ScooterNJ
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/20 17:31:19 (permalink)
    Well..wish me luck! Tomorrow I start on the "Save My Home Tour '05"

My chapter 13 was dismissed and I am going to use the cart to try to raise money. The Hot Dogs...either Sabrett or Best's...are free and a donation jar will be quite visible.

I can't get a licence so I am giving them away hoping that decent folk enjoy a dog and leave some cash. Understand, this is NOT a scam! And selling the cart, which was a gift, would only be a drop in the bucket of what I need. So..to utilize it makes the most sense.

So if you see me in your travels, stop by. NO ONE honor's God's Perfect Food more than I. If I get REAL ambitious, I make some of my chili!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/20 22:26:46 (permalink)
    Best of luck Scooter!
    ohman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 262
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/21 07:51:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScooterNJ

My chapter 13 was dismissed and I am going to use the cart to try to raise money. The Hot Dogs...either Sabrett or Best's...are free and a donation jar will be quite visible.

I can't get a licence so I am giving them away hoping that decent folk enjoy a dog and leave some cash. Understand, this is NOT a scam! And selling the cart, which was a gift, would only be a drop in the bucket of what I need. So..to utilize it makes the most sense.

I wish you luck but this will never fly...It's like trying to give people wine or beer for a donation, it is against the law. I dont think you can even give food away without your health inspection...You need to talk to a lawyer.

So if you see me in your travels, stop by. NO ONE honor's God's Perfect Food more than I. If I get REAL ambitious, I make some of my chili!
    ohman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/21 07:53:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ohman

quote:

I wish you luck but this will never fly...It's like trying to give people wine or beer for a donation, it is against the law. I dont think you can even give food away without your health inspection...You need to talk to a lawyer.

ohman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/21 08:01:33 (permalink)
    quote:

I hate to keep posting on this but this is just wrong. Why cant you get a health permit and inspection, I did! If you cant afford it I can understand that but how are you going to pay the fines for selling without a permit?
    ScooterNJ
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/21 08:05:33 (permalink)
    The towns here make it impossible to get one. One local town will not permit sales of ANY food not pre=made in a kitchen. As for fines..I will get told to move along. This is just a trial run. Believe me....if I could get a permit, I would in a heartbeat.
    ohman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/21 08:18:32 (permalink)
    Scooter I am not trying to bash you but I think you had better be very careful. I have to carry a 1 million insurance policy and the way people are so "sue" happy now I am glad to have it. So thats another thing for you to think about. This just sounds like a recipe for diaster but I understand trying to save your home.
    Sunflo9968
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/21 10:47:00 (permalink)
    Hey ScooterNJ Which town are you trying to do business in? North, Central,
    or South Jersey. Sorry to here about your Chap 13. I have to say you are keeping a good attitude! Hang in there brother.
    ScooterNJ
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/21 10:53:57 (permalink)
    I am in The northwestern tip of Morris County
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1875
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/21 15:53:30 (permalink)
    Scooter ,

The real Scooter lives in NJ and we passed Phil Rizzuto Park while on the Jersey Hot Dog Tour last Saturday .

If you are so interested in giving the dogs away for a donation , how about an exact location , I'm sure some hungry roadfooders would give you a visit if they are in the area .

HOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY COOOWWWWWWWW!!!!

Benzee
    ScooterNJ
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/21 15:56:57 (permalink)
    Actually....my real name IS Scooter. If you see me..ask to see my driver's licence.

As for location...in and around Budd Lake.
    alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/21 16:32:38 (permalink)
    I will be in the Bud Lake area on weekends the whole month of October at (WAIT FOR SHAMELESS PLUG)....
    The HAY RIDE OF HORRORS in the Hunted house this year I will be the evil clown mention my name and pay twice the price

They sell of version of a hot dog there not sure what kind of dog but it is pale pink and is pretty scary
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/21 16:54:22 (permalink)
    In the 'hunted house'?? That sounds even scarier than a haunted house!
    alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/21 17:32:48 (permalink)
    You got me. Hey that would be a good idea, Send the people in and let the "actors" hunt them.
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1875
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/21 23:02:04 (permalink)
    Scooter ,

No need to show me your license unless you happen to violate the VTL in the Big Apple .

Good luck with your endeavor . Do I need a life preserver and boat to get to the dogs

" in and around Budd Lake "

Or just a bathing suit

Benzee
    ScooterNJ
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/22 19:39:14 (permalink)
    Ok...false starts but WILL be up and running tomorrow or saturday.
    As for Budd Lake....I will be on dry land. I mean...the idea of hot dog lovers in a Speedo....ummmm......not a pleasant image!
    Sandy Eggo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/22 22:02:04 (permalink)
    Have you tried eBay? (Uncle Vic already made this suggestion). By the way, jist some words of encouragement. The co-founder of Costco, Jeff Brotman, started bsuienss with a hot dog cart. His stand was called "Man Bites Dog" or something like that in the Seattle Center area. Of course location is key, but he made money in that venture and started another and then eventually helped fund the founding of Costco. So humble beginnings can lead to greatness if you work hard, have a good location, treat people right and.... have good food!
    ScooterNJ
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/23 11:22:37 (permalink)
    Another day postponed...former s.o. here and she is sick as hell!
    Tomorrow come hell or high water.....going to hit a neighborhood garage sale thing.
    Wish me luck!
    ScooterNJ
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/24 17:15:51 (permalink)
    Ok..day one under my belt! Decided against the neighborhood sale thing,and went to a BIG open spot on the highway at a Jughandle. Got a late start...around 1 PM..knocked off at 4:30.
    Did 30 hot dogs at an average of $3.00 a piece. Actually ran out of buns. Only offered ketchup, mustard and kraut. I would NOT touch money...had a jar for the donations. Lowest...$1.00 from a boy. Highest...$20.00 for a single dog! All in all..a positive experience.

Going to make the next step to sodas and the Sabrett Onions. Will probably set up again tomorrow and then during next week, hit some job sites,garages, etc. Wish me luck!
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/24 18:03:27 (permalink)
    Scooter,

I wonder if throwing private parties into the mix would work. It might put you on sounder legal ground.

Around here there is a very successful family run BBQ caterer, that works all the local radio stations. Radio stations are always having promotions and this caterer often offers free dogs and/or burgers. In return the BBQ guy gets thousands of dollars worth of free promotion on the radio and a whole lot of lucrative gigs. He does very well using this method.

Until you get on your feet I would leave the donation jar there even at the radio gigs, if you want to try this method. I would also have the jocks tell "the Scooter story" so people will be more willing to put money in the jar.
    ScooterNJ
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/26 19:00:38 (permalink)
    Ok..update. The owner of the spot I was at was contacted by the police regards me being there. I investigated what I need to do to get "legal", and with the angle I use...FREE...it's unclear. So, time being, I am down for the count!
    ScooterNJ
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hot dog cart 2005/09/26 19:39:31 (permalink)
    I had his enthusiastic permission! That isn't a problem.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1