Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
stubby77
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 491
2010/01/08 22:59:12 (permalink)

Hot dogs steamed in beer?

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking on these forums for a couple months now, but this is my first post. I recently purchased a mobile food trailer - I didn't have any definite plans when I bought it, I just felt it was a good investment. I have since then been working on a business plan and searching for a location with the hopes of opening this spring.

At any rate, I ran across a hot dog vendor online who stated he steams his hot dogs in beer. I was curious if there are any members here that are doing that? It seems like an odd choice (and perhaps something the HD and/or liquor licensing authorities might have issues with - even though he isn't technically serving beer, it does mean having and storing it on the truck).

What do you all think about this idea? I may try it to see how they come out (he does claim to have the best dogs anywhere and maybe the beer is his secret).

Thanks,

Stubby

92 Replies Related Threads

LarryJK
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/08 23:27:20 (permalink)
    I'll try that idea myself.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/08 23:59:37 (permalink)
    Offhand, I would think it would depend entirely on the alcoholic beverage laws in your state/county/city, especially since you would be serving hot dogs to both adults and minors.  (Yes, I know that the alcohol would pretty much evaporate during the steaming process, but this would not necessarily be reflected in the way the laws might be written.)  Probably in most states, partial (open) bottles of beer could not be legally transported to or from your sales site.  And if you wanted to do a festival in another state, the problems would probably be multiplied a hundredfold.  I really think the HD might be the smallest part of the problem.
    quickdog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 500
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 00:01:59 (permalink)
    stubby77

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking on these forums for a couple months now, but this is my first post. I recently purchased a mobile food trailer - I didn't have any definite plans when I bought it, I just felt it was a good investment. I have since then been working on a business plan and searching for a location with the hopes of opening this spring.

At any rate, I ran across a hot dog vendor online who stated he steams his hot dogs in beer. I was curious if there are any members here that are doing that? It seems like an odd choice (and perhaps something the HD and/or liquor licensing authorities might have issues with - even though he isn't technically serving beer, it does mean having and storing it on the truck).

What do you all think about this idea? I may try it to see how they come out (he does claim to have the best dogs anywhere and maybe the beer is his secret).

Thanks,

Stubby

There is a local hot dog cart I visit and I shoot the breeze with the vendor. He uses Trader Joe's lager to steam the hot dogs and sausage. He made our front page of the local newspaper. I never asked him if the HD ok'd using beer though. Another idea I found is to use some sort of bouillon cube in the water. I still havent experimented with this put i plan to.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18873
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 00:55:43 (permalink)
    The Lum's chain started out in Miami with not much more than hot dogs steamed in beer, and they seemed to make out pretty well for a lot of years.  And I remember hot dogs steamed in beer being a pretty big seller in New Braunfels, Texas back in the '50s.

EDIT: I mistakenly said San Marcos originally instead of New Braunfels.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/01/09 10:11:39
    Ice Cream Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 02:23:31 (permalink)
    Don't worry about feeding it to the kids, we already do with beer batter, not to mention wine in dishes.
    If you can find a good non alcoholic beer you are all set.
    flhotdogger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 08:29:24 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

The Lum's chain started out in Miami with not much more than hot dogs steamed in beer, and they seemed to make out pretty well for a lot of years.  And I remember hot dogs steamed in beer being a pretty big seller in San Marcos, Texas back in the '50s.

When I started reading this thread Lum's is the first thing that popped into my head. I was just a kid in upstate NY when one opened and even though I never had one of their dogs steamed in beer that is the one thing I remember about them all these years later.
    Joedog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 194
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 09:20:10 (permalink)
    Lums ,we had one in Dover NH. What a blast from the past. Nothing like a Lum Dog. Come to think of it maybe thats why I am such a lush !I need to get a Lawyer.
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 09:38:04 (permalink)
    I don't think its worth the trouble. When your dealing with events and everyday people, I would think they would buy their 9 year old a Hot Dog cooked in beer. There are also a few Religious groups that wouldn't buy one cooked in beer. If you had a German restaurant or Pub it may go over well, I wouldn't fool with it in a operation that your out to get as many sales as possible........If the success of your business depended on selling Beer Dogs then I would agree, but, there are two may other ways of cooking dogs. Why disassociate yourself from some groups of people.....billyb
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 09:49:27 (permalink)
    You eliminate too many people who..do not like beer. There are some of us that do exist. It also does not lend that much to the final product.  

Instead of making it part of the core process (if allowed) make it part of an optional selection...like a beer cheese sauce (if allowed).
    RandW
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 10:08:48 (permalink)
    This was my first thought as well ... We had a Lum's where I grew up in Albany NY which became the "official" starting point for our Friday night festivities .... EVERY Friday night.  When Lum's eventually expanded their menu to become something like a Chile's or Applebie's they featured one of the best burgers I've ever tasted ... the Ollie Burger ... Of course the Ollie Burger has a history all of its own and worthy of a thread by itself.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 10:16:26 (permalink)
    RandW 

Of course the Ollie Burger has a history all of its own and worthy of a thread by itself.

A search for Ollie Burger here on Roadfood will result in lots of stuff about Ollie Burgers, including a thread about Ollie's Trolley.

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3314
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 11:01:14 (permalink)
    The Chicago/Milwaukee rule for encased meats clearly states:

1. Brats are simmered in beer/onion mix and finished off on a char grill.

2. Hot dogs are simmered or steamed strictly in water, with a beer being a beverage of choice to enjoy with a hot dog.

CSD-PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 11:09:35 (permalink)
    CCinNJ  Instead of making it part of the core process (if allowed) make it part of an optional selection...like a beer cheese sauce (if allowed).

Been there, done that and it doesn't work. Beer blended with cheese is unacceptable, because it's too bitter and over powers the hot dog.

CSD

BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 11:16:51 (permalink)
    They Have Rules for cooking Brats, and Dogs????? What the heck do they have the Sausage police raiding restaurants that don't comply. Ok, Pull over show me your Brat, don't try anything stupid like cooking it the way you want to.........................Billyb
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 11:35:09 (permalink)
    chicagostyledog

CCinNJ  Instead of making it part of the core process (if allowed) make it part of an optional selection...like a beer cheese sauce (if allowed).

Been there, done that and it doesn't work. Beer blended with cheese is unacceptable, because it's too bitter and over powers the hot dog.

CSD

I agree with you. But some are hell bent on getting the beer to go with the hot dogs...instead of selecting the hot dog with a great flavor profile that does not need beer...but for the draw of BEER.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 11:40:36 (permalink)
    BillyB

They Have Rules for cooking Brats, and Dogs????? What the heck do they have the Sausage police raiding restaurants that don't comply. Ok, Pull over show me your Brat, don't try anything stupid like cooking it the way you want to.........................Billyb

Billyb,

It a regional thing. Here's some suggested reading material on the subject...

Cheers,

CSD
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 11:43:51 (permalink)
    Cheers! Drink your beer (if you must) and serve great hot dogs without ketchup!
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 12:10:26 (permalink)
    Hey CSD, I'm from the old school, if the customer wants it, they got it. If they want Ketchup on Lobster, who the hell am I to tell them no. My little one likes Ketchup on her dogs, she wants it, she gets it. I don't bother with these know-it-alls that try to tell people how to eat their food. My little girl, and I, were watching a Hot dog special and they showed super dog owners saying no Ketchup in the restaurant. She said Papa we can't go there, I like ketchup on my hot dog. I told her, sweetheart, Papa will bring some ketchup packets if we go. I would love to see them tell me I couldn't put the ketchup on her dog.....Billyb
    waydeg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 12:11:04 (permalink)
    chicagostyledog

The Chicago/Milwaukee rule for encased meats clearly states:

1. Brats are simmered in beer/onion mix and finished off on a char grill.

2. Hot dogs are simmered or steamed strictly in water, with a beer being a beverage of choice to enjoy with a hot dog.

CSD-PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs

I was always under the impression that a hot dog wouldn't accept the flavoring too well as they are a dense paste vs a brat that is ground.
    Seems to me you just shop around and find the hot dog you prefer (flavor wise) rather than trying to doctor one up.
    And to add to that, I've found many places that drown their dogs in toppings - I can barely taste the dog!

Just my .02
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 12:12:20 (permalink)
    Hell i like mayo,ketcup and mustard Slaw.
    I will partake of the beer, but a waste in the pot. Chilled in a glass.
    post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/01/09 12:14:12
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 12:18:16 (permalink)
    It has nothing to do with knowing it all. It is a part of the traditional core in many areas where hot dogs are important. The same person could cry  whine or be offended at the outlook...but let's say they come from BBQ country. I doubt they would wish for their ribs to served smothered in raspberry sauce. Such is life.

Serving it with is different than what a person decides to do with or to it....after service.
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 12:19:43 (permalink)
    Curbside Grill

Hell i like mayo,ketchup and mustard Slaw.
    I will partake of the beer, but a waste in the pot. Chilled in a glass.

Wow Curb, you mean you eat a Hot Dog the way you like it ???? and not as your told....... That would be like, living in the free world. Maybe someday we will all think that way............Billyb  
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 12:21:30 (permalink)
    BillyB 

I told her, sweetheart, Papa will bring some ketchup packets if we go. I would love to see them tell me I couldn't put the ketchup on her dog.....Billyb

I don't know if they still do it, but at Louis Lunch anyone caught trying to put bootleg catsup on a hamburger would get his food snatched away and would be tossed out in a flash.

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 12:26:29 (permalink)
    waydeg, the hot dog is a grind before it becomes an emulsification that's injected into a casing (plastic or natural). The brat is a grind.

Billyb, during my years of street vending, two out of three of my customers used ketchup on a hot dog and I never got involved in the politics of what customers were using to dress their dog. My priority was meeting their needs, present and future. An important concept taught at Hot Dog University is: "Always put yourself on the customer side of the cart or counter." It's what they want, not what you want.

Off to walk my dog in subzero weather.

CSD
    post edited by chicagostyledog - 2010/01/09 12:28:32
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 12:29:08 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood!

If I had ever told some gritty hot dog vendor that my little James would be sad if he could not be served a hot dog with ketchup he might tell me to go learn to be a better Mother. We would laugh and James has learned a lesson in life.

BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 12:39:15 (permalink)
    Some people teach their kids to be followers, I teach my little girl to be a leader. You can follow everyone else's path in life, or pave your own road....to each their own................

CDS ..........Well said
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 12:43:07 (permalink)
    chicagostyledog

Michael Hoffman

BillyB 

I told her, sweetheart, Papa will bring some ketchup packets if we go. I would love to see them tell me I couldn't put the ketchup on her dog.....Billyb

I don't know if they still do it, but at Louis Lunch anyone caught trying to put bootleg catsup on a hamburger would get his food snatched away and would be tossed out in a flash.

There are some hot dog stands in Chicago that don't serve of offer ketchup. One is Gene & Jude's and the other is Jimmy's. Both have been in business since 1954 and are constantly busy.

CSD

Louis Lunch has been in business since 1895, and it's been selling hamburgers since 1905 -- never with any catsup.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 12:45:02 (permalink)
    Some teach to embrace tradition find the beauty and charm in it  and be tough about it....or it will be lost in a sea of giving and getting anything you want.  There is beauty charm and character in old school. If you don't like it you don't have to eat it. ...but you don't get your way just because you want it. Same goes for sitting in the seat in a restaurant and not running around.
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hot dogs steamed in beer? 2010/01/09 12:58:57 (permalink)
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1