Hot hot dog recipes!

Author
djdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 439
2013/02/14 15:17:36 (permalink)

Hot hot dog recipes!

I thought it would be kind of fun to start a thread that featured recipes that are really popular in your neck of the woods.  I know that some of this stuff is regional and what sells in my area may not sell in Miami but still...it's worth sharing what's working!

Some of you have heard of the Seattle Dog and I think it's becoming more than just a regional dog and it may be something you want to try.  The ingredients don't sound great, but I'm telling you that when put together they are delicious!

The two most common ingredients to a Seattle Dog are cream cheese and grilled onions.  Depending on the dog, just these two items will be heavenly but on other dogs you may want to add or suggest more.  I start with a warm bun...I fill Wilton disposable frosting bags with whipped cream cheese (hd approved).  I squirt a fairly generous line of cream cheese on the bun first then insert their dog of choice.  (this way the dog starts melting the cream cheese) I then top it off with some grilled onions.  (I make my grilled onions in large batches using two 7 qt crockpots...so easy!)  Sometimes they like it just like that and other times they like to add shredded cheese, mustard, sriracha (btw...you MUST have sriracha on your cart...it is a very hot condiment right now) bbq sauce, etc, etc, etc.  I easily get $4 for this dog and I'm not the most expensive dog in town.... 

Before you poo poo this idea, give it a try...it really is delicious and you might be the only cart in town that offers it!  I think the Seattle Dog has gained a lot in popularity and while I'm not saying it is or ever will be as well known as a Chicago Dog I think it's gaining momentum.  I have people visit my cart that live in other parts of the US that mention it by name.

I'm working on a different dog for the spring/summer...something that might have some fruit in it...and peppers....perhaps a pineapple flavored cream cheese with some peppers on top...not sure yet.  The whole sweet/salty combo is really hot right now. 

What about your hot recipe dogs?

11 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10289
    Re:Hot hot dog recipes! 2013/02/14 22:39:54 (permalink)
    Pizza Dog - Hot Dog, Pizza Sauce, finely chopped pepperoni or Italian Sausage, Shredded Mozzarella,in an Italian Roll or A Boboli
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Hot hot dog recipes! 2013/02/14 23:29:13 (permalink)
    I've been wanting to try this!  Foodbme....do you heat the pizza sauce?  I can't see eating it with cold sauce but maybe that's just me....

Foodbme

Pizza Dog - Hot Dog, Pizza Sauce, finely chopped pepperoni or Italian Sausage, Shredded Mozzarella,in an Italian Roll or A Boboli

jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:Hot hot dog recipes! 2013/02/15 09:31:10 (permalink)
    DJ....
    After you make 14 qts. of onions, then what? Do you freeze them or what?
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Hot hot dog recipes! 2013/02/15 10:11:51 (permalink)
    The golden rule of hot dogs is don't let the hot dog get lost in a sea of ingredients that overwhelm or detract from the fact that the hot dog is the star of the show.

djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Hot hot dog recipes! 2013/02/15 18:10:10 (permalink)
    After they are done cooking, I let them cool somewhat and each batch goes into a ziplock bag then into the fridge.  I've never had to freeze them because believe it or not, I'll go through 14 qts in about 3-4 days.  Keep in mind that they cook waaaay down....when I start, the lid can barely sit on top of the crock, but they cook down to about a 1/3 so in actuallity I probably end up with 5-6 qts if I do two batches.  I understand they freeze very well if needed and will stay good for months. 

jcheese

DJ....
    After you make 14 qts. of onions, then what? Do you freeze them or what?

jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Hot hot dog recipes! 2013/02/15 18:46:14 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

The golden rule of hot dogs is don't let the hot dog get lost in a sea of ingredients that overwhelm or detract from the fact that the hot dog is the star of the show.

Funny thing, CC.  The "West Virginia, Carolina Dog, or All the Way Dog's " were created because meat was so expensive. Pile on vegetables that Folk's can buy or grow. The popular Dog around here cost's me me .19.
    They love my chili, slaw, mustard and onions. I do offer Nathan's and Sausages.
    Sometime's the dog can slip into the background.
    BTW, got new fresh things to make Rutt's relish recipe.

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hot hot dog recipes! 2013/02/15 18:54:21 (permalink)
    I just think my alarm rang when I saw pizza dog.

FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1689
    Re:Hot hot dog recipes! 2013/02/15 19:01:29 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

Amen......amen.........AMEN!  Often when trying a new place, I'll get one "plain" just to judge the quality of the meat and skin
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Hot hot dog recipes! 2013/02/15 19:22:04 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

I just think my alarm rang when I saw pizza dog.

If the dog is an Italian Sausage.....it works.

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Hot hot dog recipes! 2013/02/15 19:25:54 (permalink)
    If the hot dog was an Italian sausage...it wouldn't be a hot dog.

happyhotdogs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:Hot hot dog recipes! 2013/02/21 08:41:23 (permalink)
    Actually, I've been using sriracha sauce at home for over a decade...didn't know it would become mainstream.  I'll have to add a bottle to the toppings on hand.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1