Hotel Brunches

Author
doug_ua
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 94
2008/02/19 15:37:52 (permalink)

Hotel Brunches

Love a good hotel sunday brunch, and the tr-state area offers plenty. 3 of my favorites include:

Hyatt Regency in Greenwich, CT
Garden City Hotel in Garden City, NY
Renaissance Westchester Hotel in White Plains, NY
Doral Arrowwood in Rye Brook, NY

These are not cheap - they are most defintely "special occasion places" - New Year's Day, Birthday, or the end of a nice weekend getaway. Musts for me include omelette and waffle stations (bonus if ice cream and toppings are available for the waffles), raw bar, multiple carving stations, standard breakfast sides, andmore

14 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/19 15:55:33 (permalink)
    I'd be interested to hear what other RF'rs experiences with hotel brunches is (are?)

Mine have been iffy at best.

BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/19 15:55:55 (permalink)
    Our favorite in the tri-state area is at the Hotel Thayer. It is 26.95 and includes all the champage you want. Plus great shrimp cocktail, and the deserts are to die for. It has an omelette station, and I can't remember about the waffles. The view of the Hudson is pretty nice, too. It is RIGHT on the Hudson. In warm weather you can sit outside on the patio.

The Hotel Thayer is on the grounds of the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y. This is the same hotel the hostages were bussed to after they were released when Reagan took office. Beautiful lobby, too. This hotel was built around 1870 something. The dining room is one of a kind, really lovely.
    doug_ua
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/19 16:05:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Barbara - the Thayer sounds great - will have to keep it in mind for mine and my wife's next local getaway. here is the link..http://www.thethayerhotel.com/dining.html. I actually liseted 4 of my favorites when I said 3 - I guess I got carried away!
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/19 16:26:10 (permalink)
    I couldn't get there with that address, but try www.thethayerhotel.com/weekend_showcases.asp. Hope I got that right. Oops, it went up a dollar, too.
    brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/19 16:28:26 (permalink)
    My best buudy was the che over several beautiful of John Q's Holidomes. The did put out dandy spreans.
    When I worked for Baby' Does at Mile Hi. I dont see how we made money. Ice carvings surrounded by Snap-n-Eats and iced shrimp. Carving station with either Prime Rib or a steamship, Log-O Lamb, Roast turkey and Smithefield hams. The Line was on the path so one stop was Eggs Benedict, omlettes, Eggs to order and crepes all made fresh. There was a pasta station, Fried chicken, A rottating cassarole(Veal with peppers, braised short ribs, chicken marsala-each week). Bacon, link sausage, home fries and hash browns, diferent sauces and 2 veggies(fresh) and scrambbled eggs. Commplementary champange and fresh juices and a dessert table. $16.95 in Denver back in "86. We ran 2 buffet lines and did $4-5K on a Bronco home game.
    All the specialty restaurants,(Baby Does, Brittany Hill, Rusty Pelican, 94th Aero Squadron etc.) did big brunches but ours was the best.
    britt
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8496
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/19 18:53:52 (permalink)
    I have found the buffet breakfast at most hotels(from the cheapest hotel to the finest) to be average at best.However, in a small town called Manitowoc, Wi.a Holiday Inn had a wonderful, fresh spread.Their eggs were wonderfully fresh, their prime rib top notch, and all the trimmings were excellent.Good memories!!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/19 19:09:48 (permalink)
    Not always "average". Some are very good...and when you realize a family eats free,a deal. Our favorite is in Lancaster PAhttp://www.amishviewinn.com/amenities.htm:The Amish View
    This is one great breakfast....love the Amish baked oatmeal!
    jfitz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/19 19:17:08 (permalink)
    Most hotel brunches are food fights except for the Ritz -Carlton.
    shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/20 09:16:18 (permalink)
    And the Ritz-Carlton one is by far the best. We had brunch one Sunday at the R-C in the Buckhead part of Atlanta and it was just amazing. All good quality food, sushi and raw bar, caviar, Italian meats, lamb and everything in between. They had enough good food to feed China for a week.
    juleebella
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/20 09:32:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brittneal

My best buudy was the che over several beautiful of John Q's Holidomes. The did put out dandy spreans.
    When I worked for Baby' Does at Mile Hi. I dont see how we made money. Ice carvings surrounded by Snap-n-Eats and iced shrimp. Carving station with either Prime Rib or a steamship, Log-O Lamb, Roast turkey and Smithefield hams. The Line was on the path so one stop was Eggs Benedict, omlettes, Eggs to order and crepes all made fresh. There was a pasta station, Fried chicken, A rottating cassarole(Veal with peppers, braised short ribs, chicken marsala-each week). Bacon, link sausage, home fries and hash browns, diferent sauces and 2 veggies(fresh) and scrambbled eggs. Commplementary champange and fresh juices and a dessert table. $16.95 in Denver back in "86. We ran 2 buffet lines and did $4-5K on a Bronco home game.
    All the specialty restaurants,(Baby Does, Brittany Hill, Rusty Pelican, 94th Aero Squadron etc.) did big brunches but ours was the best.
    britt

I'm sorry, but that's one of the funniest typos I've seen in a while (at least I'm assuming it was a typo).
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/20 10:32:27 (permalink)
    Here in Boston The Liberty Hotel corner of Charles and Beacon St.
    And in Harvard Sq. The Charles hotel both are excellent, but not cheap.
    Chow Jim
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/20 10:49:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BarbaraCt

Our favorite in the tri-state area is at the Hotel Thayer. It is 26.95 and includes all the champage you want. Plus great shrimp cocktail, and the deserts are to die for. It has an omelette station, and I can't remember about the waffles. The view of the Hudson is pretty nice, too. It is RIGHT on the Hudson. In warm weather you can sit outside on the patio.

The Hotel Thayer is on the grounds of the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y. This is the same hotel the hostages were bussed to after they were released when Reagan took office. Beautiful lobby, too. This hotel was built around 1870 something. The dining room is one of a kind, really lovely.

I have eaten a number of meals on the campus of West Point, and they have all been excellent. The next time I am up that way, I would surely consider the Sunday brunch at the Thayer. One of my colleagues regularly stays there, as well, and she reports that it is one of the finest hotels in which she has ever stayed. One time she told us "while you guys all stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last night, I slept in a CASTLE!"
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/20 10:59:43 (permalink)
    http://www.hoteldel.com/dining/crown.cfm

Brunches just dont get any better than the one at The Hotel Del Coronado.If you ever visit San Diego it is a must visit...Russ
    booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Hotel Brunches 2008/02/20 11:13:44 (permalink)
    Oh Russ, you beat me to the punch! I've had the pleasure of partaking in the brunch at the Hotel Del several times. It truly is an experience.
    The price sure has gone up since the last time I was there, which was probably 11 or 12 years ago. I think it was around $32 pp.

I don't know that I could consume $70 worth of food if a gun were pointed at me. Though, I must confess, I'm getting stingier in my old age!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1