Houston and Galveston shrimp

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13526
2006/11/28 20:05:50 (permalink)

Houston and Galveston shrimp

Having spent almost three months in Houston, I have had numerous opportunities to sample shrimp at many different restaurants.

I have enjoyed several shrimp places in Galveston and much to my surprise, the prices of shrimp are basically the same here as in my home town of Knoxville.

I would suppose that the quality is much better because of its proximity to the Gulf of Mexico?

The grocers all have huge amounts of shrimp available but the prices does not vary very much.

I would guess that there are places close to the docks where the boats come in that sell shrimp much cheaper?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

7 Replies Related Threads

Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Houston and Galveston shrimp 2006/11/29 08:46:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Having spent almost three months in Houston, I have had numerous opportunities to sample shrimp at many different restaurants.

I have enjoyed several shrimp places in Galveston and much to my surprise, the prices of shrimp are basically the same here as in my home town of Knoxville.

I would suppose that the quality is much better because of its proximity to the Gulf of Mexico?

The grocers all have huge amounts of shrimp available but the prices does not vary very much.

I would guess that there are places close to the docks where the boats come in that sell shrimp much cheaper?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

There are places in Galveston and along the bay where the shrimp boats dock. However the price does not vary much. They are fresh though, usually the shrimp you buy in the morning were swiming around the Gulf the night before. The stuff in the grocery stores is a dollar or two cheaper but usually imported, frozen and not gulf shrimp. I always tell people if you eat at a restaurant that serves fresh gulf shrimp like Monument Inn, Clarys, or Pier 19 you can taste the difference and will not eat Red Lobster or similar places without noticing. I was standing in line to eat at NOLAS in New Orleans a couple of years ago when they put out the trash they had boxes of frozen shrimp, after all that talk Emeril does about fresh New Orleans seafood.

joe
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6474
    RE: Houston and Galveston shrimp 2006/11/29 14:03:31 (permalink)
    I don't know about the tx gulf shrimp prices

I know over in the FL gulf, you can get the gulf shrimps straight from the boat between usually $5 a pound unsorted (if you are a local, if you are a tourist the price is $7 or $8 a pound)

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: Houston and Galveston shrimp 2006/11/29 14:10:42 (permalink)
    Paul,
    Last night on the Food Channel, the Program "The Hungry Detective" featured a tour of Houston hitting on 5 places that were relatively unknown outside the local area. The Cop in the show is the guy who drove Alton Brown around the South Bay area of L.A. after his accident on the Motorcycle Tour. Some of the places on the tour of Houston looked good.

If you check out the Network TV show listings on the web it will tell you when the show will be re-broadcast.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10332
    RE: Houston and Galveston shrimp 2006/11/29 14:11:35 (permalink)
    I lived in Pensacola FL for 16 years and can report that there is NOTHING better than fresh-off-the-boat gulf shrimp, (Except maybe fresh-off-the boat Grouper!)
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Houston and Galveston shrimp 2006/11/29 14:12:31 (permalink)
    In the Houston/Galveston area they go for about 3.95 for small to 6.95 for jumbo and 7.95 for the giant tiger shrimp, thats with head on. In the grocery store you pay about 5.95 for large no head.

joe
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6474
    RE: Houston and Galveston shrimp 2006/11/29 14:36:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

I lived in Pensacola FL for 16 years and can report that there is NOTHING better than fresh-off-the-boat gulf shrimp, (Except maybe fresh-off-the boat Grouper!)

anything off the boat out of the gulf is some mighty fine eating.

grouper, snapper, shark, dolphin, flounder, AJ, trigger fish, shrimps.......
    blohatchii
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Houston and Galveston shrimp 2006/11/29 15:08:20 (permalink)
    Must agree with Cajunking. Used to go Grouper fishing off of Marco Island. Had a great time. On an average day we would get about 65#'s of grouper after it was fileted. Got an extra treat one time when grouper caught the stone crab that took the bait. Caught a shark once, walked me around the boat for about 45 minutes then lost it when we went to gaff if. Oh well... all in a day of a good time.

Blohatchi
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1