Houston to CT

Author
dgeorge
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2004/05/07 12:14:50 (permalink)

Houston to CT

I will be driving from Houston, Texas To Connecticut and I am looking for some good roadfood in between does anyone have any suggestions?

6 Replies Related Threads

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Houston to CT 2004/05/07 17:50:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dgeorge

I will be driving from Houston, Texas To Connecticut and I am looking for some good roadfood in between does anyone have any suggestions?

dgeorge,
    Let some other people offer some suggestions and then I'll try to interject something apropos. By the way, roughly what route are you taking? Houston to CT takes in a lot of potential twists and turns, y'know. And there's a lot of difference in Roadfood in New Orleans, Mobile, and Atlanta from that of Waco, Texarkana, Little Rock, Memphis, and so forth.
    I'm pretty good regards old established places in portions of the Southeast, and others who lurk waiting to pounce on such a quiery as this know plenty of worthy stops as well.
    It would also help if you'll tell us some of your food likes and dislikes so we can steer you away from places that would potentially disappoint you and toward those that would make you glad you wandered by here.
    We all await your response(s).
    UnHungrily (But Only Momentarily!), Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Sunny, Warm Athens, Georgia... Which Isn't Too Far Off Your Path!
    dgeorge
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Houston to CT 2004/05/07 20:00:01 (permalink)
    I will come up thru oklahoma then MO , Ind , Ohio and PA . I love BBQ , Hot Dogs and big food with meat involve
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:

dgeorge,
    Let some other people offer some suggestions and then I'll try to interject something apropos. By the way, roughly what route are you taking? Houston to CT takes in a lot of potential twists and turns, y'know. And there's a lot of difference in Roadfood in New Orleans, Mobile, and Atlanta from that of Waco, Texarkana, Little Rock, Memphis, and so forth.
    I'm pretty good regards old established places in portions of the Southeast, and others who lurk waiting to pounce on such a quiery as this know plenty of worthy stops as well.
    It would also help if you'll tell us some of your food likes and dislikes so we can steer you away from places that would potentially disappoint you and toward those that would make you glad you wandered by here.
    We all await your response(s).
    UnHungrily (But Only Momentarily!), Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Sunny, Warm Athens, Georgia... Which Isn't Too Far Off Your Path!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Houston to CT 2004/05/09 23:36:12 (permalink)

I will come up thru oklahoma then MO , Ind , Ohio and PA . I love BBQ , Hot Dogs and big food with meat involved

dgeorge,
    You're flat out of my geographical territory.
    There ought to be some places along your route specified in the restaurants section of this website. BBQ is a Kansas City staple, along with chicken dinners and (of course) steaks. Jefferson City has a cafe that specializes in brain sandwiches. St. Louis has "noodle parlors" that are as ubiquitous as Cincinnati's chili joints, but they serve chop suey instead... and don't forget the toasted ravioli and/or the snoot sandwiches (no joke on the latter!).
    By time you cross through Illinois and into Indiana, you're in farm cooking country. You might well find edible BBQ if you detour through Evansville, Indiana, but Henderson, Kentucky (right across the U. S. 41 bridge) is a better bet.
    Let me again leave you in the hands of other people more experienced in your route's Roadfoodings than I. Just let us know what you uncover, and good luck.
    Unknowingly, Ort. Carlton in Slowed-Down Athens, Georgia.
    Bulldozer Rectangle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Houston to CT 2004/05/10 08:50:59 (permalink)
    I've done that drive twice, but in the opposite direction. I went through Eastern PA, Knoxville, Atlanta, Louisiana...

Those last 2 are roadfood heaven.

Anyway, whichever direction you go, def go to Moe's Midtown and Harry's pizza once you get there. Great food in Houston, but I miss those places!
    mikeyjake
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Houston to CT 2004/05/19 13:10:52 (permalink)
    When you get past NYC, there is a holy grail of food to be eaten...

Maybe the best dogs in the country (Food Channel thought so) about 20 minutes into CT on 95...
    http://www.superduperweenie.com/

Then, in New Haven, the legends of pizza...
    http://www.pizzatherapy.com/pepe's.htm
    http://www.pizzatherapy.com/sally's.htm

The original hamburger (maybe 5 minute drive away)
    http://www.louislunch.com/

And, as a bonus... A few blocks away...
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=319

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    RE: Houston to CT 2004/05/19 14:32:07 (permalink)
    Let's firm up the route just a bit more...
    Houston to OK City
    OK City to St Louis
    St Louis to ??? Indy and Columbus? or Louisville Cincin. Columbus?
    Columbus-Philly via I-70 and the Pike?? or I-80/84
    Give us the data, and you'll get more suggestions.
    Having done those routes several times...I would suggest thinking in terms of Houston-Texarkana-Little Rock- Memphis- Knoxville then up I-81 thru VA and PA. plenty of food on all of the possibilities.

If you are not concerned with straight line driving the shortest distance.. do the New Orleans, River Road, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, Cincincy, then up to I-70 east... You won't starve on that route !!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1