Houston's Taquerias Arandas

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
2006/12/04 10:17:02 (permalink)

Houston's Taquerias Arandas

This restaurant was featured in yesterdays Houston Chronicle. I have not tried it but I did stop by to check their menu out as there is one very close to my Residence Inn on Main Street.

Their menu was very interesting as it featured a lot of non traditional typical Mexican restaurants menu items.

I am hoping some of you might give me your opinion of this locally owned restaurants.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

1 Reply Related Threads

Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Houston's Taquerias Arandas 2006/12/04 10:42:42 (permalink)
    They are now a franchise in many Texas cities and are no longer owned by one person. I read an article a few years ago, the person that started them started with a taco truck on a shoestring. He would buy enough ingredients to get started each day and would run to the store next door and buy more as he sold more food.

They are pretty good but inconsistent from location to location even though they use the same menu. There is one in Pasadena near where I live that is very good. And there is one on the Gulf Frwy near Hobby Airport I ate at once and the portions were smaller and not as good but still not bad. They have an excellent breakfast special.

Their flautas, enchiladas, mole, tacos, burritos and tortas are very good. I stay away from their meats like steaks and fajitas because they are cooked on a griddle not grilled and are sometimes dry or tough. We have too many good fajita joints in town to eat a bad one. But overall they are not too bad. The menudo on weekends is good as well as the pozole and the caldo de res sure goes down good on cold days like the last few we've had. They also have a couple of Arandas Seafood restaurants around. The Mexican Shrimp Cocktail is great. It is a goblet full of shrimp, cocktail sauce, pico de gallo and avocados.

joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1