How Do You Like Your Hot Dog?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2008/01/24 12:04:57 (permalink)
Char Grilled with a bit of minced onion and maybe some good spicy mustard
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 512
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2008/01/24 12:55:49 (permalink)
Patrick do you have a website?
HypnotizeMe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2008/01/24 13:04:23 (permalink)
I love thick juicy hot dogs on a grilled bun, with either regular or spicy mustard, put in the classic squiggle...if it's not in a squiggle, I won't eat it!

As a Los Angelan, I do love Pink's, near Melrose...but unfortunately, the line is usually way too long! But if you're ever in the Hollywood area, I highly encourage you to check it out!
Lance Uppercut
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2008/02/03 16:32:43 (permalink)
Not everyone here in Chicago likes a salad on top of their dogs.

I prefer yellow mustard and raw onion on a natural casing dog served in a plain bun. Occasionally a little celery salt winds up on in, which is fine too.

When I travel, I almost always try and stop at a local hot dog stand to get one done up the way the locals like them.
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 315
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2008/02/03 17:29:25 (permalink)
Dietz & Watson (natural casing) steamed using a beer & water mix...served in a soft hot dog roll & topped with relish, mustard & some Texas Pete's......I could eat these all day.
pglenn
Junior Burger
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2008/02/03 17:39:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan

Patrick do you have a website?

private-message sent :-)
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 136
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/11/23 20:03:38 (permalink)
Texas Hot Wiener style is my all time favorite. Boiled Oscar Mayer dog, brown mustard, minced raw onion, hot wiener sauce, in that order, all in a steamed bun.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/11/23 20:26:45 (permalink)
tjd_tx:  There's several other recent threads relating to Texas hot wieners in which the posters seem to be unaware of your really good recipe for the sauce. How about reposting it on one or more of those threads?

Cheers, John 
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/11/23 20:45:01 (permalink)
if i go out its vienna or nothing and chicago style, at home its any good grilled beef dog with a little cheddar, mustard and carmelized diced onions
smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/11/23 21:48:03 (permalink)
tiki

Grilled or steamed---split top bun--Gouldens--or Cajun--mustard--chopped onion and piccalli or chow chow--spicy!---oh--i forgot--NOT Skinless!!! Natural casing dogs please!

tiki,  here is a blues connection to hotdogs. Whem Eli Oberstein ran the famous Cobra records company and studio that recorded those great cuts by otis Rush and Magic Sam he hasd Willei Dixon producing his recordings. Eli was always strapped for cash and Willie complained for years that he never ate so mang gd hgot dogs in his life!

PS Willie also would buy 10 pounds of buffalo fish for dinner for the family. According to his widow, Marie Dixon, he would split teh fish into two equal portions, one for Willie and one for the rest of the family.
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 206
Re:How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/11/23 21:51:59 (permalink)
hot  like mine hot !!!!!!!!! not warm but hot, that's why its called a hot dog, not a warm dog.
smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/11/23 21:54:24 (permalink)
Lance Uppercut

Not everyone here in Chicago likes a salad on top of their dogs.

I prefer yellow mustard and raw onion on a natural casing dog served in a plain bun. Occasionally a little celery salt winds up on in, which is fine too.

When I travel, I almost always try and stop at a local hot dog stand to get one done up the way the locals like them.

yes, exactly. I grew up in Chicago and have been eating chicgao style dogs since I was a toddler. While a fully loaded CSD is something to try, most chicagoans I have ever met or observed craft their toppings from what is available and what they like. I choose (the yellow) mustard that is common, onions, celery salt, and a pickle. My Dad who just passed away at 90 and ate hot dogs for all of those years, loved his with mustard and green relish which he called picalilli.

When I was about ten i was taken to a baseball game in Milwaukee where I first discovered what good german style brown mustard does for a dog. Loved it but normally choose the yellow mustard so common in Chicago on my dogs, although other than corned beef sandwitches prefer the brown or other mustard varieties on most dishes.

By the way, I do not think that one can make teh case that a hot dog is more common or personifies the american roadfood experience any more than a burger, or any less!  Just two top favorites.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/11/24 13:59:06 (permalink)
smokestack lightning

tiki

Grilled or steamed---split top bun--Gouldens--or Cajun--mustard--chopped onion and piccalli or chow chow--spicy!---oh--i forgot--NOT Skinless!!! Natural casing dogs please!

tiki,  here is a blues connection to hotdogs. Whem Eli Oberstein ran the famous Cobra records company and studio that recorded those great cuts by otis Rush and Magic Sam he hasd Willei Dixon producing his recordings. Eli was always strapped for cash and Willie complained for years that he never ate so mang gd hgot dogs in his life!

PS Willie also would buy 10 pounds of buffalo fish for dinner for the family. According to his widow, Marie Dixon, he would split teh fish into two equal portions, one for Willie and one for the rest of the family.

I Believe it all!!!  Buddy of mine--Pat Moss-the Juke Joint Preacher--was mentored by Willie and tells similaer stories. Wish i had got to know him-Pat went to see him a lot and i just never seemed to time it right to tag along.
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/11/24 20:04:15 (permalink)
seafarer john

tjd_tx:  There's several other recent threads relating to Texas hot wieners in which the posters seem to be unaware of your really good recipe for the sauce. How about reposting it on one or more of those threads?

Cheers, John 

John, I'd like to put it in the Roadfoods recipe listings. Do you know how I would go about doing that?
king nojuego
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/11/24 20:09:39 (permalink)
with some nice hot onions and hot chilli personally i think i got it down pat with that there combo

the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 632
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/11/24 20:14:11 (permalink)
1)  with brown spicy mustard like Gulden's or Ballpark mustard, chopped onion, and warm sauerkraut.

2)  Chicago style, with the works.

3)  With all meat chili, chopped onion, and a stripe of yellow mustard.

tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/11/24 20:25:49 (permalink)
phatphil

mustard onion relish pickle tomato and a dash of celery salt on a poppy seed bun,oh and 2 sport peppers

or chicago style lol

ditto.
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/12/04 13:49:03 (permalink)
Not like this, that's certain!
http://bighotdog.com/

claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/12/06 13:56:58 (permalink)
Since I'm from West Virginia I've got to have slaw on my hotdog.  If I am at home I just ask for a hot dog with everything-chili,slaw, onions, mustard.  If I am out of West Virginia & I know that I will get real freshly made slaw, I ask for a chili dog with mustard & onions & a side of slaw.
Here in Indiana weiner roasts with our family & friends are  frequent events.  I always make slaw & have converted many Hoosiers to loving the slaw dog.

I also like to broil hot dogs, butterfly them.  Cut bread into 2 pieces, mayo on one slice, catsup on the other, spread out the hot dog on the catsup, top with mayo & enjoy.  This was a regular lunch when I was growing up & every once in a while I still indulge. 
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/12/06 14:52:54 (permalink)
claracamille

Since I'm from West Virginia I've got to have slaw on my hotdog.  If I am at home I just ask for a hot dog with everything-chili,slaw, onions, mustard.  If I am out of West Virginia & I know that I will get real freshly made slaw, I ask for a chili dog with mustard & onions & a side of slaw.
Here in Indiana weiner roasts with our family & friends are  frequent events.  I always make slaw & have converted many Hoosiers to loving the slaw dog.

I also like to broil hot dogs, butterfly them.  Cut bread into 2 pieces, mayo on one slice, catsup on the other, spread out the hot dog on the catsup, top with mayo & enjoy.  This was a regular lunch when I was growing up & every once in a while I still indulge. 

What kind of slaw is generally used for "slaw dogs"? Is it a mayo or vinegar based? Is it sweet or savory? I could see using a savory vinegar slaw, it would be similar to sauerkraut, which I love on a hotdog.

enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/12/06 15:25:55 (permalink)
A hot dog for me consists of the following:

Nathan's franks pan-fried in bacon grease until wrinkly and charred. The buns are then grilled in the same pan after it has been drained of most of the grease.

Toppings listed in order of preference:

1. Trader Joe's green olive tapenade and raw onions... or,
2. Chili, shredded cheddar and raw onions... or,
3. Marinara sauce and grilled onions... or,
4. A minuscule amount of yellow mustard and Del Monte relish with a healthy splash of ketchup and raw onions.

RE: Numbers 1, 2 and 3: No mustard will be tolerated on these dogs. Not a speck. Especially the chili dog.
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
Re:How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/12/06 17:24:36 (permalink)
It depends on what I'm in the mood for, but it's usually:

Chicago Style
Southern Style with slaw
Chilli Cheese dog with onions and mustard but no beans in the chilli.
Dog with ketchup, mustard, relish, and onions.

Andrea
jhofman
Junior Burger
Re:How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/12/08 16:36:49 (permalink)
I eat my hot dogs one of three ways:

1. With ketchup only.
2. With ketchup and mustard.
3. With ketchup, mustard, baked beans and shredded tillamook cheese.
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/12/08 17:32:59 (permalink)
 I an still partial to the Chicago Dog. Vienna Beef dog, neon green relish, spicy yellow mustard, onions, cucumber, tomato, pickle, and of course celery seed all on a poppy seed bun!

The other variation that I like is the classic Sabrett with mustard, sweet onion sauce and a little kraut! 

I haven't had one of those since I last visited New York when I was a teenager. (many moons ago)

David O.
post edited by boyardee65 - 2009/12/08 17:35:15
appycamper
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2009/12/08 17:50:14 (permalink)
grilled or fried, toasted bun, mustard and sauerkraut. once in a blue moon chili and chopped onion. steamed dog only in dire circumstances, ditto the bun.

brats can have the mustard and sauerkraut, or mustard and grilled peppers and onions. bun should upgrade in crustiness.

hot links get mustard only.
Padraig Muldoon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2010/01/03 20:15:38 (permalink)
It depends on the dog, bun and cooking method to me.

If I'm dining at a new hot dog establishment for the first time I want to try them 4 ways.

Plain - to see what you're working with.
With Heinz ketchup - no other brand will do.
With chili, mustard and onions - now we're getting serious.
With chili and cheese - my current favorite.

Then figure out which combo of all of the above works best for the location and repeat.

Toasted roll sometimes, steamed others, New England style lightly buttered with a roller grilled dog works nicely.

How about right off a stick over a bonfire?  

Pork & beef first and foremost, all beef next, venison dogs a distant third, turkey dogs if that's all there is, I guess. 

carollwdls
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2010/01/03 21:58:18 (permalink)
When I was about 14 (around a million years ago in the mid-60's) I took a couple of hot dogs, split them lengthwise, smeared a squiggle of spicy brown mustard down the center, laid a slice of colby cheddar cheese on them & topped them with Pace's brand GREEN salsa and broiled it in the oven. Yes, 45 years ago Pace's introduced a green hot sauce but it was nothing like the current one. The salsa had a short run, & the recipe was lost in the mists of time (yes, I wrote them a letter in the 80's & they couldn't find it).

The concept has only been tweaked over time. I now prefer to use all-natural nitrate/nitrite free beef/pork hot dogs, spicy brown mustard, Asadero or Queso Blanco cheese & Mrs. Renfro's Green salsa, which is the ONLY one I can find that, like the Pace's of yore, does NOT have tomatillos in it. The green is strictly a result of jalapenos. In a hurry I will zap them (not an option in the mid-60's) but they are still best broiled ~~ or grilled. Bunless.
CiaoMeOwwww!
John Sagi
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 146
Re:How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2010/01/04 14:02:56 (permalink)
SHE,BlackQueen

I'd like permission to add your recipe to my website. 

Website

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2010/01/04 15:43:43 (permalink)
boyardee65

I an still partial to the Chicago Dog. Vienna Beef dog, neon green relish, spicy yellow mustard, onions, cucumber, tomato, pickle, and of course celery seed all on a poppy seed bun!

The other variation that I like is the classic Sabrett with mustard, sweet onion sauce and a little kraut! 

I haven't had one of those since I last visited New York when I was a teenager. (many moons ago)

David O.

Does anyone have a neon green relish recipe?
...Russ
outolunch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2010/01/04 17:28:18 (permalink)
I used to like chilidogs but since moving to New England I find that I have adapted to local custom and my tastes have changed. Now I like a grilled hot dog on a buttered and grilled top opening roll with nothing coming between the hot dog and the roll. It is funny because before moving here I had never seen a top opening roll before.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1