The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

How Do You Like Your Hot Dog?

Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 143 of 143
Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Mon, 01/4/10 5:43 PM (permalink)
Dearfolk,
   I find I never posted to this thread (will ceases never wonder!).
   My favorite way to eat a hot dog thusfar is to take a good wurst (not a brat, though), steam it in beer, place it on a multi-grain bun, and slather it with dark mustard: Plochmann's, Zatarain's Creole, Gulden's, or Woeber's Hot & Spicy are four good examples.
   Nice munchin' there.
   Of course, I suspect that once it unfreezes here enough for me to motor to Columbus, Georgia to The Original Source (The Dinglewood Pharmacy) and try one, my favorite will probably be THE SCRAMBLED DOG.
   There are also scrambled dog variations to be had at Piggy Park in Thomaston and Nu-Way Weiners in Macon for sure, and I suspect at Charlie Joseph's in LaGrange.
      Hot Ziggedy Dog Diggedy, Ort. Carlton in Lake Perry Como Is Frozen Over Athens, Georgia.

carollwdls

• Total Posts: 86
    Re:How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Tue, 01/5/10 12:44 PM (permalink)
    John Sagi

SHE,BlackQueen

I'd like permission to add your recipe to my website. 

Website

John, Feel free to add my humble little "recipe" to your hot dog website! It would be an honor :)  I did forget to add one step in the prep ~~ after slicing the dogs, cook (broil, boil, grill, fry, zap) them FIRST. Then add the toppings & broil till the cheese melts to your liking.
    Ciao!  

IntelligentT82

• Total Posts: 125
      RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Wed, 01/6/10 12:02 PM (permalink)
      High Springs Gator

I really like Kraft Hot and Spicy Mayo on my Dogs and Brats. I like to put it on my fries too. Yum

That looks soooo GOOD.  I gotta buy it and try it.  I like putting mayo on my hot dogs and I love spicy food so that's like the best combination right there. Mmm I already know it's good just looking at it.

swvadon

• Total Posts: 36
        RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Sun, 02/21/10 7:46 PM (permalink)
        I like a couple of different versions. If forced, I'd take a slaw dog, minus the onions. That means a beef dog, skinless, topped by mustard, chili, and cole slaw.

I really do love what I call a NYC-style dog - Nathan's or Sabrett's with brown mustard, kraut, & red onions. Good crunch to the dog, tangy kraut, and that wonderful red onion sauce.

I grew up with slaw dogs, though, so they are #1 to the #1A of NYC dogs for me.

swvadon

• Total Posts: 36
          RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Sun, 02/21/10 7:50 PM (permalink)
          The slaw normally used on a 'slaw dog', popular in the Mid-Atlantic is a mayo based slaw. Mustard or vinegar based is a tiny minority.

The creamy taste of the mayo slaw gives an excellent contrast to the warm spiciness of the chili.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
            RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Thu, 02/25/10 5:02 PM (permalink)

rebeltruce

Grilled, mustard and raw onions are they way I eat them at home.

Out, I like "meat" sauce, onion and mustard. I also like a good Chicago dog or what I like to call a "garbage can dog", this is one with everything but ketchup!....mustard, onion, relish, meat sauce, and kraut.

My favorite dog is from a shop called Laskaris in Lewistown, Pa.

Bill says "Hot Dogs are an Northern/East Coast thing. West of the Mississippi, you could drive for days and never see a stand."

I agree that the hotdog is #1, there may not be any "stands" west of the Mississippi, doesn't mean folks aren't eating hotdogs......by the millions!!!

Good call!

I had two with chili and onion today at Laskaris.  The dog itself was very good, nice smoke and spice, and the chili was excellent.

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
              RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Thu, 03/11/10 8:50 AM (permalink)
              Excellent Joe!!!

I hadn't subscribed to this thread when I posted...found your response while goggling Laskaris's to see if they were still open. Planning a trip through Lewistown in May and wanted to stop by and have a few of my favorite dogs...glad you liked them!! Did you happen to try an order of fries?

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
                RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Thu, 03/11/10 10:05 AM (permalink)
                mustard!

jdog

• Total Posts: 25
                  RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Mon, 04/19/10 5:44 AM (permalink)
                  Favorite way is deep fried Texas weiner, with the Greek sauce. It's comfort food. Hot grill, or better yet, Libby's lunch in Jersey are the best. At home, if I don't have a quart of their sauce handy, I like to deep fry a Thummans, put it on a toasted bun with horse radish, relish, and saurkraut, (fried with chopped onions).

Joe 

BelRose

• Total Posts: 65
                    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Mon, 04/19/10 10:16 AM (permalink)
                    Whenever I visit a new hotdog joint, I believe in trying my first dog plain, if a hotdog is not good enough naked, it will not be any better with toppings, the second dog will be whatever the specialty of the house might be (except when I am in Chicago and not at Hot Doug’s where I avoid those monstrosities and order a hamburger…). 

When I make them at home, I like to get a natural casing dog, grill it until it splits, and then serve it on a decent bun, again naked as the day it was born.  When I can find them my favorite are Thumman’s out of New Jersey.

hannahbannah

• Total Posts: 31
                      RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Mon, 04/19/10 1:06 PM (permalink)
                      Flo's hotdogs in Cape Neddick Maine.  One  with mustard and relish, one with the secret sauce and mayo.
                        Second choice is Mel's in Tampa.  Its classic Chicago dog.  I love the green relish.  Where can I buy it in Florida???????????

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9565
                        RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Mon, 04/19/10 3:41 PM (permalink)
                        Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
                          My favorite way to eat a hot dog thusfar is to take a good wurst (not a brat, though), steam it in beer, place it on a multi-grain bun, and slather it with dark mustard: Plochmann's, Zatarain's Creole, Gulden's, or Woeber's Hot & Spicy are four good examples.
                          Nice munchin' there.
                          Of course, I suspect that once it unfreezes here enough for me to motor to Columbus, Georgia to The Original Source (The Dinglewood Pharmacy) and try one, my favorite will probably be THE SCRAMBLED DOG.
                          There are also scrambled dog variations to be had at Piggy Park in Thomaston and Nu-Way Weiners in Macon for sure, and I suspect at Charlie Joseph's in LaGrange.
                             Hot Ziggedy Dog Diggedy, Ort. Carlton in Lake Perry Como Is Frozen Over Athens, Georgia.

Brother Ort:
                        What, Pray Tell, makes up THE SCRAMBLED DOG???

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9565
                          RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Mon, 04/19/10 3:54 PM (permalink)
                          A good quality, all beef, natural casing, Quarter # Dog - Grilled on a Flat Top until it explodes, Dropped in a Steamed Bun then dressed with a Spicy Brown, Grainy Mustard and very finely chopped Sweet Onions.

Alternate cooking method: Dog on a long stick cooked outdoors over a wood fire until it explodes! 

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                            RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Mon, 04/19/10 6:45 PM (permalink)
                            'been a long time since I ate a hot dog cooked over a campfire. Gotta make a point of having one one of these days.

The Bear

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                              RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Sat, 05/1/10 3:10 PM (permalink)
                              I like to.start mine off in a skillet with a little water to cook some of the salt out. Then pour off water and brown in skillet. Then using a warmed bun add lots of mustard,chopped onion and creamy coleslaw made fresh with mayo. Something a regular Saturday event is local churches have hot dog sales with homemade chili and slaw. These are always good to get on a busy Saturday

tdj_tx

• Total Posts: 135
                                RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Sat, 05/1/10 7:40 PM (permalink)
                                I have a confession to make. Recently I had a grilled bun length Nathan's beef hotdog with sweet relish and spicy brown mustard. It was really good, for some reason the thought of putting pickle relish on a hotdog was a bad thing. I'm just to accustomed to Coney or Texas Hot Wiener Sauce for my dogs.  I was going to try the so called "Pickle Dog", a grilled dog on a hollowed out pickle half, topped with cole slaw. I canceled the "Pickle Dog", seemed too pickley for me.

bwave

• Total Posts: 231
                                  RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Sat, 05/1/10 7:45 PM (permalink)
                                  A chicken frank charred on a propane grill, with ketchup and onions, and maybe some chopped dill pickles, on any kind of roll but potato rolls.    2 per year on July 4th, and none until the following year.

BelRose

RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Sun, 05/2/10 9:22 PM (permalink)
                                    bwave

A chicken frank ... with ketchup..

bwave

• Total Posts: 231
                                      RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Sun, 05/2/10 9:42 PM (permalink)
                                      BelRose

bwave

A chicken frank ... with ketchup..

Thought you'd like that!   LOL - but yes, I prefer the taste of chicken franks, and I can't stand mustard.  (unless it's in bbq sauce.)

BelRose

RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Sun, 05/2/10 10:37 PM (permalink)
                                        I actually am not the biggest mustard fan, if you see up thread, I like my dogs plain... but ketchup??? might as well put beans in Chili.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                          RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Sun, 05/9/10 9:48 AM (permalink)

I am working in a kitchen for a retirement community. Whenever we serve hot dogs (or hamburgers), we fill little ramekins with ketchup, mustard, relish and chopped onion.
                                          The ketchup goes out almost two to one.  Considering male to female ratio of these residents, all I can say is that your mama knows better.
                                          Happy Mothers Day

mark

<message edited by doggydaddy on Sun, 05/9/10 9:50 AM>

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                                            • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                            RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Sun, 05/9/10 10:41 AM (permalink)
                                            Char-grilled, well done, with Vern's or Merkt's cheddar cheese, and smothered with well done grilled onions, prepared by Bachelorette Jillian Harris.

CSD

MiamiDon

RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? Sun, 05/9/10 11:01 AM (permalink)
                                              Foodbme

Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
                                                Nice munchin' there.

Brother Ort:
                                              What, Pray Tell, makes up THE SCRAMBLED DOG???

For what it's worth, according to Wikipedia this is the story of the Georgia Scrambled Dog:

Georgia, especially the southern portion of the state, has a variation called the scrambled dog (or dawg, as it is colloquiolly known). Originating in Columbus, Georgia, it is a cheap, usually red-skinned hot dog, served on a toasted white bun and topped with mustard and spicy chili. This particular chili contains beans and has large chunks of diced raw onion mixed directly into the prepared sauce before being spooned onto the dog. The Scrambled dog in its traditional configuration was invented at now-defunct cigar store and newspaper stand run by Firm Roberts on Columbus' Broadway beginning in 1908. The most famous purveyor of the dog today is the city's Dinglewood Pharmacy, there it is topped with ketchup, mustard, chili with beans, onions, sliced dill pickles, and oyster crackers.
                                              In the 1940s, Johnnie Wise ate a scrambled dog in Columbus and liked it so much that he added his version of the dog to his menu at Johnnie's Drive-In in Fitzgerald, Georgia. His variation kept the toasted hot dog bun topped with mustard, ketchup, homemade chili, sliced hot dogs, and oyster crackers, but he topped it with sliced dill pickles and slaw. Johnnie's menu also includes the Johnnie Burger, which is a scrambled hamburger topped with slaw. 

<message edited by MiamiDon on Sun, 05/9/10 11:07 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 143 of 143

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com