How Do You Like Your Hot Dog?

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
2007/11/29 09:14:23 (permalink)

How Do You Like Your Hot Dog?

The Hot Dog no doubt is The All American Food. We can argue pizza, hamburgers, chili etc. But one must agree that the Hot Dog rules as #1. Its regional variations and versions are really amazing. Whether it be mustard, chili, mayonnaise, relish, cheese, bacon or God forbid Ketchup. The ways they are served across the country are astounding. Even the cooking methods are different from the Deep Fried Rippers, Griddle top classics, Boiled in beer, Chicken broth, or Water. Heck when I was in college I used to electrify them with an extension cord and a couple forks in my dorm. One thing stands true Everyone has a favorite and most stand behind there version to the death and long for there return home to relive the Hot Dog of there youth. As long as I live, travel, and try many of the styles across this country I will always be a Detroit Coney advocate as the best version. As would a Chicago native continue to run it thru the garden with a little celery salt on top. (a version I love also) I also think that all of us Hot Dog addicts have tried to duplicate the versions we treasure most. If you could explain how you eat your Hot Dog. How you prepare it. What is the best place or Restaurant to get it? And post your recipe if you have one. I will be looking forward to your replies. Have Fun Russ
post edited by Russ Jackson - 2010/03/11 09:09:05

142 Replies Related Threads

will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 421
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 09:32:18 (permalink)
    Oh dear....I'm afraid I'm one of those God Forbid ketchup people! Along with mustard, raw onion, kraut, and special sauce (Greek coney-type sauce). It's not so much about the cooking method here in Alabama as it is the toppings, espcially the sauce.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 10:09:03 (permalink)
    Grilled or steamed---split top bun--Gouldens--or Cajun--mustard--chopped onion and piccalli or chow chow--spicy!---oh--i forgot--NOT Skinless!!! Natural casing dogs please!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7836
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 10:13:07 (permalink)
    Hebrew National/Sabrett or Nathan's Hot Dog with Hebew National Mustard, Sauerkraut and Red Onion Sauce (or Grilled Onions)

Mayonnaise on a Hot Dog??

Oh yes, the bizarre folks back in Seattle used to do that!
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 11:34:43 (permalink)
    My fav. is a hot dog with ketsup slaw. Made by grating a small cabbage, grating up a small onion, and adding ketsup and a little vinegar. Ketsup slaw is very popular here in Huntsville. Next, I like mine with mustard, onions and pickle relish.

And, why is it hotdogs taste so much better out? I fix them a lot at home, but they just don't taste the same as if I were at a ballgame or any other outdoor event. Even the ones at the mall food court taste better (at least to me).
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 11:49:51 (permalink)
    Grilled over an open flame with mustard and chili. And, I really don't agree that the hot dog rules as number one. That's really not a statement that is automatic.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4625
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 12:11:38 (permalink)
    I'll agree with that, Dive.
    Hot Dogs are an Northern/East Coast thing.
    West of the Mississippi, you could drive for days and never see a stand.
    Hamburgers are a universal treat across America. Hot Dogs are not.
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 12:42:37 (permalink)
    North Carolina style! chili, slaw, onions and mustard.

But I agree, the ones I make at home are never as good
    as the ones I get out. No idea why.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 12:55:18 (permalink)
    Grilled, mustard and raw onions are they way I eat them at home.

Out, I like "meat" sauce, onion and mustard. I also like a good Chicago dog or what I like to call a "garbage can dog", this is one with everything but ketchup!....mustard, onion, relish, meat sauce, and kraut.

My favorite dog is from a shop called Laskaris in Lewistown, Pa.

Bill says "Hot Dogs are an Northern/East Coast thing. West of the Mississippi, you could drive for days and never see a stand."

I agree that the hotdog is #1, there may not be any "stands" west of the Mississippi, doesn't mean folks aren't eating hotdogs......by the millions!!!
    Russ Jackson
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 13:09:42 (permalink)
    How can you say no Hot Dogs west of the Mississippi? There are hundreds if not thousands in many of those states? California with Pinks,The famous foot long Dodger Dog, the 99 cent world renowned at Slots-of Fun in Vegas, Puka Dog in Hawaii or the over 350 Wienerschnitzel locations all of which I believe are in west of the Mississippi states. Dont get me wrong I Love Hamburgers and that is a whole seperate forum. I also heard that Papaya King the famous establishment out of New York the best dog east of Detroit is going to expand out west. Just having fun enjoy all.
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 13:21:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

How can you say no Hot Dogs west of the Mississippi? There are hundreds if not thousands in many of those states? California with Pinks,The famous foot long Dodger Dog, the 99 cent world renowned at Slots-of Fun in Vegas, Puka Dog in Hawaii or the over 350 Wienerschnitzel locations all of which I believe are in west of the Mississippi states. Dont get me wrong I Love Hamburgers and that is a whole seperate forum. I also heard that Papaya King the famous establishment out of New York the best dog east of Detroit is going to expand out west. Just having fun enjoy all.

Someone has been watching too much Travel Channel food shows.

Just kidding.

But in all seriousness I somewhat agree with the Northern/East statement and I am from the left coast and a native of the Seattle area. Not a good "random" hot dog stand to be found and no regional hot dog specialties on the west coast as well.
    Russ Jackson
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 13:31:38 (permalink)
    Actually I have eaten all of those many times except Puka Dog.
    But I am really looking for relish combinations,Chili concoctions,Mustard brands,West Virginia Slaw recipes. And believe it or not 7-11 years ago had a great chili cheese dog. I cant vouch for it today but in the late 80s it was top quality.
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 13:55:25 (permalink)
    After I boil them up for a few minutes for the kids, I take a few out and pan fry them in butter till they are blistered and almost black. Delish.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 14:08:14 (permalink)
    Fab - my mom use to always boil our hotdogs and every once in a while I do this too. But, my fav. way at home is to pan fry them in a little olive oil.

When my son was little when we would go to cookouts my son would ask "why are we the only ones that don't burn hotdogs when they are grilled?" Seems that a lot of people like them burnt and crisp.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 15:24:30 (permalink)
    My favorite: a New York Kosher-style dog, slowly grilled on a flat griddle. Served with mustard and coarse, fresh hot sauerkraut. My favorite places to get them: Nathan's owned and operated restaurants, Papaya King, Gray's Papaya. The same as my mother used to buy for me as a kid from Coral Drinks on Fulton Street in Brooklyn.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 15:43:42 (permalink)
    Lately, I've been putting homemade red cabbage (the sweet/sour stuff) on my hot dogs. It's kind of like sauerkraut and relish combined. I also like thin-sliced Polish dill pickles and pepper relish. Whatever the toppings, they always include a good mustard. Never ketchup. pb
    jettababs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 16:05:10 (permalink)
    I'm partial to the tiny steamed hot dogs Skyline serves. About 2/3 the size of a regular hot dog, with Skyline chili ladled on top, and about a cup of shredded cheddar mounded on top. And then hot sauce sprinkled on top of that. Since they're so small, you need at least two. Yum!
    djtomatoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 16:24:51 (permalink)
    i like nathans with mustard and cole slaw and some onion,,,,NO KETCHUP!!!

i have people come to my hot dog stand [in eugene, oregon...west coast] , and ask for mayo...yikes!!!!" />
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18451
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 16:57:17 (permalink)
    Split, grilled, in a toasted bun and topped with dark mustard, relish and warm sauerkraut -- sometimes with chopped onions below the sauerkraut.
    Russ Jackson
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 18:04:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jettababs

I'm partial to the tiny steamed hot dogs Skyline serves. About 2/3 the size of a regular hot dog, with Skyline chili ladled on top, and about a cup of shredded cheddar mounded on top. And then hot sauce sprinkled on top of that. Since they're so small, you need at least two. Yum!

Have you ever tried Camp Washington or Dixie Chili in northern Kentucky?
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 18:33:59 (permalink)
    My fave is with chili and cheese, but I also favor hot relish, mustard, or anything spicy on top. I love New England-style buns that're grilled on both sides, but I also love pillow-soft steamed ones, too. As long as it's good, I'll try them all!
    Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 20:59:04 (permalink)
    Hot dogs are one of my favorite eats! Especially love them with some good homemade chili, mustard, double minced onions and several splashes of Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce. Buns must be warm, either toasted or steamed. Serve 'em with some good baked beans, too! Judy
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 22:19:28 (permalink)
    I never thought I would be saying this, but the Southern dogs at Hocutt's in West Virginia are so good, I am learning to love cole slaw as a topping. Still, it is hard to beat just chili, mustard and onion.
    tames
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/29 22:26:34 (permalink)
    Theres a joint in Columbus Ohio that I love called Village Coney. They serve a dog with bbq sauce, french fries and shredded motzarella all in the bun - it's awesome! I usually get at least two.
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/30 07:32:31 (permalink)
    Slow cooked on a flat griddle, then scored for the final heating.

Yellow mustard, onion, and chili (and sometimes slaw, making it NC style dog). This is about the only thing I use regular French's yellow mustard on, any other style dog combo of toppings, or mustard only, I'd use a brown mustard.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8365
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/30 07:45:00 (permalink)
    My favorite are chicago style.But in the absence of those ingredients,I like a Hebrew National,grilled or pan fried, with a good coarse brown mustard...
    jettababs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/30 11:10:15 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Not yet, but those places are high on my list of places to try! I keep running out of time every time I'm down there--next time it will be top priority.
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/30 12:56:11 (permalink)
    quote:

Actually I have eaten all of those many times except Puka Dog.
    But I am really looking for relish combinations,Chili concoctions,Mustard brands,West Virginia Slaw recipes. And believe it or not 7-11 years ago had a great chili cheese dog. I cant vouch for it today but in the late 80s it was top quality.

I remember the Hot Dogs from 7-11 as well. Back in the early 80's they actually had decent food such as the hot dogs and they had really good pre-made sandwiches as well.
    Russ Jackson
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/30 15:17:19 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

Not yet, but those places are high on my list of places to try! I keep running out of time every time I'm down there--next time it will be top priority.

You can order Dixie Chili online http://www.dixiechili.com/ I think it is by far the best Cincinnati style chili and holds up very well in the can. Once you try this stuff you will never use Hormel again.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? 2007/11/30 15:22:49 (permalink)
    Not at all!

Judge Jean
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1