Author
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
2007/11/25 22:09:35 (permalink)

How Good are Electric Fireplace?

Hello All,
My wife found a beautiful, Cherry Wood electric fireplace
at Costco for $500 and some dollars. She is in love with it.
I am wary because I am not sure it really heats 400 sq. feet.
I just think it is pretty.
Anyone have any experience or advice on electric fireplaces?
Take Care and thanks,
Fieldthistle

30 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8404
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/11/26 01:10:31 (permalink)
    It's for the look, not the heat. It's just a plug in heater and not a good one.

But it is pretty.
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/11/26 10:02:24 (permalink)
    We have one and while it does put out some heat, I wouldn't rely on it as the main source for heat.

The dog loves to snooze in front of it.
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/11/26 10:38:27 (permalink)
    I have a small one that looks like a Franklin Stove in my den. I use it mostly for decoration. My den is 20'X 22' and on not so cold nights such as 45 deg. or warmer I use it to warm the den instead of warming up the whole house. It does a good job of removing the chill. But like was mentioned not to good as a main source of heat.

joe
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/11/26 11:31:09 (permalink)
    Check around, I think you could find a cheaper one that also has a heater. I saw a real nice one at Home Depot for around $300, and also saw one at Big Lots.

I have a small 2 bedroom apartment behind my house and it use to have wall space heaters but they all stopped working except for one in a bedroom. I am buying a small electric fireplace I saw at HD that will fit good in the living room/dining area at it is only about $150.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/11/26 11:54:17 (permalink)
    My electric throws some heat ... Don't count on it for that
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/11/26 12:03:25 (permalink)
    Hey Brother--electric resistance heat is the most expensive way to heat anything--
    besides which you wouldn't come close to heating 400 Sq Ft with it. It is a nice
    ornament but it is like trying to heat your kitchen with a toaster. Plug it in
    and watch your meter spin around and around, also.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6431
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/11/26 12:29:56 (permalink)
    The Costco electric fireplace is a 1,350 watt 4600 BTU/hr heater. Most all electric type portable heaters are 1,500 watts max so as not to blow the circuit breaker. From the description you have the option to have the flame effect with or without heat. If that be the case, it is a nice looking unit and could be aesthetically pleasing without a big hit on the electric bill. As for heat, it depends on the size of your room and how well insulated it is. The way I designed my house I can supplement heat my entire 2,400 sf house with 10,000 BTU/hr at -15 degrees outside.

If you don't have a fireplace at $500 this would be the ticket. It would be a lot, lot less than a gas fireplace or wood burning fireplace. In most homes it would not be much more than a small space heater but just the feel of the heat when sitting in front of it might be enough for the emotions.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/11/27 10:20:33 (permalink)
    This company ran a full page ad in our Minneapolis Star-Tribune newspaper this morning running a special deal on Amish electric fireplaces. I bet it is in a lot of newspapers. You might find it interesting.

http://www.amishfireplaces.com

The newspaper ad says you buy the Amish made fireplace mantle and case for $298 you get the $249 electric fireplace insert free for the next 48 hours.

I normally gloss over such ads but found it interesting since it fits with this topic.
    rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/11/28 19:30:37 (permalink)
    I don't have experience with such a heater. Fieldthistle, we installed a Jotul wood burning stove a couple years ago. It is a joy to have for fun as well as heat. I cook camp coffee on it occasionally just for fun. Although the Jotul is more expensive than some other choices, I recommend the stove.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1455
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/11/29 17:56:33 (permalink)
    Electric fireplace?

The next thing you know somebody will start a thread about cooking a NY strip in a microwave...

Whats wrong with FIRE???

FIRE GOOD!!!
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/11/29 20:40:36 (permalink)
    Electric fireplace? That's an oxymoron. As for the Amish fireplace deal- that ad has been running for months. So much for the 48 hour special...
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/11/29 21:32:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

Electric fireplace? That's an oxymoron. As for the Amish fireplace deal- that ad has been running for months. So much for the 48 hour special...

I'm aware of that and would not have noticed had it not been for this topic. They must be using Mennonites in the ads because the Amish do no like to be photographed.
    Fieldthistle
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/11/30 04:05:55 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    To those who question an electric fireplace, let me explain.
    We already have a wood fireplace in the den. My wife wanted
    something classy-looking in our living room area where we
    greet guests. I wanted something efficient. I have no intention
    in making major structural changes to my living room, thus the
    idea of an electrical fireplace. The fireplace at Costco was beautiful.
    I was seeking advice on efficiency.
    The electrical fireplace is for the wife...the fireplace in the den is
    the place all the family gathers when I make a fire.
    Thanks for all advice.
    Rouxdog, at my parent's home we had a wood stove and the best thing about it
    was that when the electric went off due a snowstorm, we would still be warm
    and we would heat up food on top of the stove. But my mother hated that stove.
    She called it, "Old Ugly."
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    akamudman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/12/06 11:18:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

I'm aware of that and would not have noticed had it not been for this topic. They must be using Mennonites in the ads because the Amish do no like to be photographed.
    akamudman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/12/06 11:27:56 (permalink)
    Amish fireplaces? They ran an ad in the Daily Sentinel, Grand Junction, today and initially accepted, ordering the 'free insert' with a credit card. It was simple. They even offered expedited shipping for an extra $16 which would make delivery in about three weeks instead of six.

THEN I did a search for a review at google, and decided to cancel my order, feeling that the product was more expensive than I could find regionally. The first call to 'customer service'...I eventually hung up the telephone after twenty minutes. The second call....well it's been a half hour and no one has picked up the phone.....

I know nothing about the quality of this unit, only about the promised customer service when it comes to changing one's mind.

Looks like they are quick to sell, and VERY slow when it comes to customer service. I hope everyone else has better luck. I'll call my credit card company and cancel the charge.

The moral of the story, 'look before you leap'.

Moni51
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/12/13 12:47:51 (permalink)
    New to the site. Just some info on the amish fireplaces we have one coming if it ever gets here. Their specials are non-existant and shipping is not free! But we ordered one instead because relatives claim they absolutly love theirs!! We have been waiting over 3 weeks for it and called twice. 1st time it was waiting to be shipped, 2nd time (6 days later) it was being shipped that afternoon. Now we are just waiting, one more call and our order we be cancelled as well but I'm patient and will give them the benefit of the doubt.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/12/13 15:52:39 (permalink)

We have L P gas heat in our home. The working fireplace is more "work" than I care to tend (burning wood), so we installed an L P gas-log "fake" fire. We love it. I went 'cheap' on the extras so we have to turn it on by reaching into the logs for the controlls...as opposed to a thermostatic switch on a wall somewhere(or Another remote control). But it does the job very well. We can turn the house temp down to 60 for comfortable sleeping at night and then hit the fireplace for "space-heat" in the living/kitchen/computer area without using the main furnace for the rest of the house.
    Meantime our monthly electric bill holds at about $70 a month so long as we don't run the AC.(cloths dryer is electric). Hot Water, stove and furnace are all L P Gas. Gas averages about $80 a month year-round.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/12/13 15:53:29 (permalink)

We have L P gas heat in our home. The working fireplace is more "work" than I care to tend (burning wood), so we installed an L P gas-log "fake" fire. We love it. I went 'cheap' on the extras so we have to turn it on by reaching into the logs for the controlls...as opposed to a thermostatic switch on a wall somewhere(or Another remote control). But it does the job very well. We can turn the house temp down to 60 for comfortable sleeping at night and then hit the fireplace for "space-heat" in the living/kitchen/computer area without using the main furnace for the rest of the house.
    Meantime our monthly electric bill holds at about $70 a month so long as we don't run the AC.(cloths dryer is electric). Hot Water, stove and furnace are all L P Gas. Gas averages about $80 a month year-round.
    Fieldthistle
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/12/14 06:23:12 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    We decided to go with a propane fireplace in the living room, but
    thankfully, I still have my wood-burning fireplace in the den. I just
    get a joy out of building my own fire.
    Thanks for all the comments and advice.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    comojeff866
    Junior Burger
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/12/14 10:22:27 (permalink)
    akamudman:
    I had ordered an Amish Fireplace. I called customer service the same day and cancelled. The more I thought about it the more I decided it was not that great of a deal (IMO). I did not have to wait more that 1-2 mins and the person asked me a few questions (name, address, payment method) and it was cancelled, no problem. Maybe you called on a very high volume day.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/12/16 00:20:41 (permalink)
    Our discussion timing was pretty good ! Today we lost power for over 12 hours (ice-storm took out a number of trees/power lines). Being without power our resources in the house were curtailed. The furnace, while fueled by L P Gas, uses an electonic ignition...so it was dead. The fireplace, being a 'cheapie' had a pilot light. So the fireplace worked, although the fan for circulating the warm air did not function, we had enough radiant heat to keep the business-end of the house toasty warm. The stove fuctioned but only in daylight, as we didn't like trying to cook in the dark or by flashlight this evening.

All is working now, and we are feeling better about the refrigerator and freezers knowing they are holding the cold.
    Fieldthistle
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/12/16 10:22:54 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Al, last night we lost power. We lit candles and oil lamps, and I stoked up a fire in the
    fireplace. It was very cozy.
    I would rather have snow storms than ice storms anytime.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/12/16 12:04:42 (permalink)
    --Thistle,
    Janet has a BUNCH of the fruit scented candles (as well as a box of the 24 hour 'emergency' candles too), so we had the soft candle light around the house...with the smell of apples in the air! Janet did use up a set of batteries for a small flashlight while trying to read the night away (Abe Lincoln style)! The two pooches knew something was not right...they stayed close to us in the dark .
    Fieldthistle
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2007/12/16 15:52:00 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Al, our two dogs did the same. I am not sure if they were
    protecting us or seeking our protection. Regardless, it felt
    good and special.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2008/02/25 20:47:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Moni51

New to the site. Just some info on the amish fireplaces we have one coming if it ever gets here. Their specials are non-existant and shipping is not free! But we ordered one instead because relatives claim they absolutly love theirs!! We have been waiting over 3 weeks for it and called twice. 1st time it was waiting to be shipped, 2nd time (6 days later) it was being shipped that afternoon. Now we are just waiting, one more call and our order we be cancelled as well but I'm patient and will give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Wondering if you ever got it. I was thinking maybe the horse had a broken leg.
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 490
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2008/02/28 11:40:51 (permalink)
    i picked up a great little faux stove with flames and heat at HOme Depot for just over a $100. It doesn't fill aroom, but it is a great decorative and proactical touch to your decor.
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2008/02/28 12:44:18 (permalink)
    I bought my second electric fireplace about three weeks ago and the next day the first one stopped working. After doing all the troubleshooting in the owner's manual I determined it must have something to do with the remote control.

I called the manufacturer to inquire about a replacement and after very few questions, she assured me it was the main switch and sent one free of charge, even though I've had the fireplace three years.

marsha_4
    Junior Burger
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2008/04/07 11:44:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

This company ran a full page ad in our Minneapolis Star-Tribune newspaper this morning running a special deal on Amish electric fireplaces. I bet it is in a lot of newspapers. You might find it interesting.

http://www.amishfireplaces.com

The newspaper ad says you buy the Amish made fireplace mantle and case for $298 you get the $249 electric fireplace insert free for the next 48 hours.

I normally gloss over such ads but found it interesting since it fits with this topic.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: How Good are Electric Fireplace? 2008/04/07 12:20:02 (permalink)
    Ha! Is this thread going to become the "Groundhog Day" thread that competes with the Orion Cooker?

Yes, I posted that and ironically the full page ad showed up again today in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1