How HOT??

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7027
RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/17 15:08:06 (permalink)
My former mother-in-law (in the lovely metropolis of Rapid City, MI,) grew some horseradish in the garden one year. We dug up the roots, or "ruts" as she pronounced it and scrubbed and scrubbed all the dirt off. We peeled them. Raw, they tasted like radishes. Hmmmmm, says me, this sure doesn't taste like horseradish. So we put them in the trusty food processor and ground them to smithereens. Pop off the top and stick nose WAY in there and OH MY LORD! Eyes watering, noses running, that was some POTENT stuff!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/18 07:52:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

I would classify running out of beer as a major emergency.

Pesky Pilgrims......they should've bought more Budweiser and kept on sailing.

Realy!---was a nice place till those pesky european prudes got to town!!
frognot
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/17 15:22:44 (permalink)
Used these dreaded Guatamelan Insanity peppers once & i ended up hallucinating . . .

Nevermind, that was a Simpson's episode.

Gotta nominate Scotch bonnet peppers (used in some kinds of Jamaican hot sauce) as fastest way to make yer chili too hot to eat except for the baddest of the bad. gotta wear welding gloves to stir that chili . . .
Edwaste
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/17 18:18:34 (permalink)
Speaking of gloves a word of warning when handling some peppers:

One time my wife and I were trying some Hungarian peppers we bought at a church sale.
In the past, my wife never suffered any ill effects from handling any hot peppers while preparing chili. Yet this time she after chopping up the Hungarian peppers for our batch her hands started to get an intense burning pain. We could find nothing that to relieve the pain, not washing in soap and water, milk, beer, ....anything we could get her hands into. Only time cured her. About 8 hours.

So put those mitts in gloves while chopping up them peppers.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2314
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/17 18:27:35 (permalink)
The only pepper I've ever found that I couldn't handle looked like a little cherry tomato. It was in a place outside Lima, Peru. I don't remember what they called it, but I surely remember the fire.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/17 20:03:47 (permalink)
Last spring I was with Mamaw Smith who lives next door. We were at Walmart and buying plants for our spring garden. We bought what we thought were a dozen jalapeno plants which in my opinion is one of the tastier hot pepper plants. We planted them with love and were surprised a few months later when we began to see funny shaped fruit.

It turns out that we got mislabeled jalapeno which were actually Haberno. Were they every fruitful. We had several hundreds of the round fruit which were a beautiful yellow-orange color. They were toxic I tried to use them but could not. I took them to my office and laid them out for all to take. I did provide a warning so the consumers would know how hot they were.

I am not saying that they were the hottest of the chillies but they were certainly too hot for the Sundancer.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/17 22:15:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

It turns out that we got mislabeled jalapeno which were actually Haberno. Were they every fruitful. We had several hundreds of the round fruit which were a beautiful yellow-orange color. They were toxic

Mr. Sundance, they aren't the hottest pepper on the planet, but they are in the top 5 (I think).

The first time I tried one was many years ago at a chili cookoff in the building where I worked (owned by the City of Austin, south of the river, near Sandy's). A guy I knew who worked for the city grew his own peppers. He was handing out samples there. I had never seen those little things that looked like pumpkins, so I asked him what they were. He replied, "Those are just some sweet peppers I grow. Try one."

I took a big bite. As I was passing out, he was laughing...
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/17 22:46:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

The first time I tried one was many years ago at a chili cookoff in the building where I worked (owned by the City of Austin, south of the river, near Sandy's). A guy I knew who worked for the city grew his own peppers. He was handing out samples there. I had never seen those little things that looked like pumpkins, so I asked him what they were. He replied, "Those are just some sweet peppers I grow. Try one."

I took a big bite. As I was passing out, he was laughing...

I know what I'm giving out next Halloween!!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/18 08:53:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

I know what I'm giving out next Halloween!!

Ooooooooooo...kinky. (-Hedley Lamar)
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/18 10:25:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Edwaste

Speaking of gloves a word of warning when handling some peppers:

One time my wife and I were trying some Hungarian peppers we bought at a church sale.
In the past, my wife never suffered any ill effects from handling any hot peppers while preparing chili. Yet this time she after chopping up the Hungarian peppers for our batch her hands started to get an intense burning pain. We could find nothing that to relieve the pain, not washing in soap and water, milk, beer, ....anything we could get her hands into. Only time cured her. About 8 hours.

So put those mitts in gloves while chopping up them peppers.

Oh man, no kidding. They can have evil effects on mucus membranes too. One time in the dim and distant past when I was working as a cook and making up some hot wings I happened to get crushed peppers on my hands, which I forgot about until I went to take a bathroom break. Shortly after completing the deed I started to notice a growing burning sensation `down there' and spent much of the next couple hours on the line putting ice-cubes down my pants and trying not to squirm too much. Of course if I knew then what I know now I might have been putting in ice-cream or yogurt instead.... Or wearing gloves in the first place.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/18 12:03:04 (permalink)
Hmmm...never considered Capsaicin-laced underwear...
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/18 14:39:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

Hmmm...never considered Capsaicin-laced underwear...

Hot pants?
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/18 16:16:48 (permalink)
Back in my ER days, I think I probably saw 4 or 5 people come in with pepper-related injuries.

"My hands are burning!" No to mention other delicate places. " />
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/18 16:45:49 (permalink)
One of my sous chefs was dicing fresh jalapenos without gloves. After he was finished he decided to go to the bathroom. Big mistake. He came running into the kitchen, grabbed a gallon of milk and left again. Didn't see him for another hour. Of course we were laughing our heads off.
Edwaste
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/18 18:36:19 (permalink)
quote:

Back in my ER days, I think I probably saw 4 or 5 people come in with pepper-related injuries.

So what's the cure? Something I can put in my first aid kit?
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/18 18:46:02 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Latex gloves.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/19 06:07:23 (permalink)
You must soak your, um, inflamed parts in milk. It helps some.

I was once at a "hot and spicy" food festival. There was a Jamaican Scotch Bonnet sauce that I tried, then I kind of blacked out for a minute...well, not so much blacked out as went blind..and came to sweating up a storm. When I got home, people were calling me all night saying they had seen me on the news. It was one of those filler "local color" stories about the festival and they cut to me literally rolling around on the ground. They cut back to the anchor who said, "Yup, that sure looked spicy!"
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/19 09:54:18 (permalink)

The habanero salsa I used to get would do that to you if you weren't careful with it...
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: How HOT?? 2004/02/19 10:12:08 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Rinse with lots of vinegar and then soak in some milk. Have used Isopropyl alcohol when no vinegar available with good results.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1