How HOT??

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
2003/12/06 17:54:48 (permalink)

How HOT??

Figured the Chili forum was a good place to ask...What IS Thehottest " /> ingredient to add to chili or other foods What do YOU and your family/guests/customers prefer I like it hot enough to bring sweat to my brow but not to take my breath away.....yes this has happened. ENJOY!!

48 Replies Related Threads

Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/06 18:09:42 (permalink)
    Initially, I have a number of dried chilies to give my chili both flavor and heat. If anyone wants it hotter, I can add REAL heat without creating an obtrusive flavor by popping in a couple of droplets (note: droplets) of Dave's Ultimate Insanity or East Armageddon. That way you won't really change much of the chili's flavor, but it will have a definite searing edge. These sauces will add pure heat to anything.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/07 21:14:37 (permalink)
    I like it when you eat the chili and taste the flavor of the ingredients, then after swallowing you get the "afterburn". I don't like it when it is so hot you can't taste the flavor. To achieve this I use a combo of cayenne and a few other dried chili powders. Jalapenos' heat was too hard to control and Serranos gave everyone umm, er, digestive trouble. My boyfriend usually adds some Dave's or Crystal to the finished product.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/07 22:52:24 (permalink)
    Dendan,
    Moose's hot sauce made here in Athens is (underline) remarkably hot. But I defer to the great Mr. Farley of the Bar-B-Q Pitt in Ashland City, Tennessee: "Let your sauce be hot, but if it masks the taste of the meat, it's too hot. It had ought bring out that flavor."
    To those ends, garlic is a a good add; also ginger. A friend of mine is working at formulating a vinegar-based barbecue sauce made with crushed red peppers and (of all things) balsamic vinegar. He would suggest marinated (in apple cider vinegar) chopped garlic cloves over anything else.
    Face it, unless you have a palate made of discarded sheets of roofing tin, if all you can taste is the HOT in something, then it's out of balance. But I'm one to talk about balance: you ought to taste my homebrewed The Citizens' Preposterously Bitter Ale....
    Outrageously Ageously, Ort. "54 And Counting" Carlton in Evetyone-Here's-Younger-Than-Me Athens, Georgia.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7315
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/08 02:50:41 (permalink)
    Ort. is going to be disappointed but here goes it: I occasionally like to have a palate made of discarded sheets of roofing tin. I can throw habaneros, chilis, cayenne, Tabasco and every other hot thing I have in the kitchen into a dish and just enjoy, yes, enjoy the fact that it's HOT and that was what I was in the mood for that particular day. Couple that with a Citizens' Preposterously Bitter Ale and we could have something here.........
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/08 06:26:13 (permalink)
    I use a can of Green Chilies (Hot Version), and that normally does the trick to make it hot, yet palatable...
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/08 10:10:06 (permalink)
    I use a combination of tobasco, louisiana hot sauce, red pepper flakes and cayenne. I use them in limited quantity to give a warm feeling to the mouth; not to turn those off who cannot tolerate too much heat. I supplement my own bowl of chile with either "Ass in the tub" Hot sauce or another similar fiery bottle of hot stuff such as xxxextra hot habanero from the Tropical Pepper Co.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/08 10:15:53 (permalink)
    I like a medium heat !! Some tabasco, more La. hot sauce .. I actually like Texas Pete !!

If it is too hot then I become miserable ... especially later on !! And I don't like that !!

I enjoy the taste more than the heat !
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/08 10:43:55 (permalink)
    In my younger, more daring days, I won a chili cook-off with my Atomic Chili recipe. I have had to mellow it in recent years because everyone complained it was too hot and I was left w/ a few gallons on chili leftover. I, too have mellowed and like the newer sub-atomic version better since I can taste the flavor of the chili mixture better. It still leaves some folks with a damp brow, but it's more enjoyable. Just a few jalapenos (seeds and all)will do the trick.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/08 14:01:58 (permalink)
    Trinitrotoluene. Some in the white chili and the rest in the chef.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/08 14:11:43 (permalink)
    KABOOM!!
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/08 14:33:08 (permalink)
    TNT I believe...
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/08 15:25:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

Hmmm. But what if it's white chili?

I didn't think we discriminated here.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/08 19:40:17 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

quote:

Hmmm. But what if it's white chili?

I didn't think we discriminated here.

That was very clever.

and funny too!

I think my taste is discriminating...
    Edwaste
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/08 20:09:56 (permalink)
    Eating chili is supposed to be an enjoyable experience, not an endurance test or proof of testosterone. Some friends dragged me to one joint, knowing that I loved chili. I think battery acid would have been more palatable. I think the cook used chinese chili oil.
    I like leaving with a nice warm feeling in my tummy, a bit of sweat on my brow, and a slight buzz from the spices.
    If my wife and I have the time we prefer to roast our chili peppers, remove the skin and seeds, and add them with some spices.
    If we do make our chili hot, it burns more going down than going out.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/10 02:43:57 (permalink)
    Ort., do you keep a supply of this Bitter Ale on hand? (thinking of a quick trip to Athens)
    BTW, I saw you on City Confidential last week. Gang, we have a celebrity in our midst.
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/15 11:34:57 (permalink)
    Well, I just returned from New Mexico and brought back with me a supply of New Mexican chile in a variety of heat scales.

I picked up some powder (crushed and ground New Mexican Red chile powder) called Sandia. And another bag the vender told me was hotter. I used it to make an enchilada sauce and wife and I who like our heat had a hard time eating it.

Put into chili as an ingrediaent, the Sandia variety pepper is a lot of good heat with flavor. Not the biting uncomfortable heat, but a "glow" if you will.
    A local from Deming New Mexico suggested to me not to mix a lot of different varieties of peppers into dishes I was cooking. She said it really does make a difference.

In the Summer, I have a small cart and I sell things I find from my trips like chile peppers and powder, nuts, garlic, etc etc.
    Most folks like the medium hot varieties for chili making. Once they've used the real powders, they usually never buy a packaged "chili fixins" store bought again
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/15 19:20:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Ort., do you keep a supply of this Bitter Ale on hand? (thinking of a quick trip to Athens)
    BTW, I saw you on City Confidential last week. Gang, we have a celebrity in our midst.

Pete,
    No, but if I turn up the formula when I clean out one or another of the car trunks, I'll be sorely tempted to pass it along on a brand new thread for homebrewed beer recipes. After all, beer IS a food if it's made with barley malt, yeast, hops, and water - and not a ton of useless adjuncts. I've still got that recipe, but just exactly where it is is a good question at the moment....
    Waist Deep In More Clutter Than Even The Clutter Family Cemetery Could Have, Ort. Carlton in Debris-Strewn Athens, Georgia.
    P.S. I am not a celebrity. The only reason I don't put my own name in the phone book (the listing remains in my late Mother's name) is so 2,386 drunk students can't ring me up at once to go out for a pint. When I manage to install the nicety of an answering machine, I'll put in a drop listing or something. Or else do what I did years ago... put it in the name of Lothario T. Phardthaus. Seriously!!
    If anyone's coming by Athens, I'll gladly e-mail you my contact information. I'm not a hermit. By the way, Copper Creek Brewing will be open all through the Holidays... and Matt's rumoured to have a very "Special Ale" maturing in the vats as we write....
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/15 19:37:41 (permalink)
    I sincerely love mildly hot, spiced food. I must have a sensitive heat sensor as when it is more than mildly hot, my entire body breaks out in a huge sweat. My hair become so wet, it messes up my Tony, sweat runs all over my face and down my neck.

I raise Jalapenos and I use them in everything including my chili, tamales, hamburgers.

I just cannot handle super hot stuff.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/15 22:27:28 (permalink)
    I grow my own Serrano's, that's about as hot as I used to go on the Scovil Scale. But lately, I don't use them near as much. I grew a bunch a couple of years back, Dried and Ground them Seeds and All... They filled a Garlic Salt tube that I had emptied. 2 years later the tube is still 3/4 full. Hot ain't what it used to be for me.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/15 23:05:46 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    I went to spend the night at the Scoville Hotel on Mitchell Street in Atlanta once. They gave me room 312. I walked up there, but I couldn't sleep - it was way too hot. Even the air burned my goozle bigtime.
    Hab A Nero On Me, Ort. Carlton in Cool-And-Comfortable Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. The hotel really is the Scoville. It was still open (and dirt cheap) the last time I checked. Maybe I ought to stay there sometime - I understand that in spite of other appearances, it's totally safe.
    P. P. S. Does anyone know the relative Scoville ratings for the most-known peppers? Cayenne is only something like 23, I think. May we have enlightenment, o exalted, all-knowing ones?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/16 06:57:30 (permalink)
    http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/blhotchiles.htm

There ya go Ort---this ought to help you out there with Scoville.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/16 12:21:09 (permalink)
    Ort., tiki beat me to the punch, I was going to suggest a web site but tiki's is actually better and easier to read.
    This Scoville scale was invented by this dude, Wilbur Scoville, in 1912, He was a chemist at Parke Davis pharmiceutical company. Since the Internet had not been invented yet and he could not spend hours with Roadfood people, he wasted his time making solutions of pepper extracts and diluted them in sugar water until the "heat" was no longer detectable to a taster. I wonder who the tasters were.
    Anyway, it all has to do with capsaicin, which in it's pure form ranks 16,000,000 on good Wilbur's scale. Wow. That's some pretty hot sh**. Common pepper spray (which we all carry to fend off the pesky bears) is 2,000,000. I think one of the hottest peppers ever recorded was a Red Savina Habanero at 580,000.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/16 21:53:36 (permalink)
    An interesting point on understanding scoville scale----no matter hwom many different peppers you put in a dish it will never be hotter then the the highest ranking pepper--set the degree of heat with that pepper and you can add several lower ranking peppers to round out the flavor and make a fuller pepper flavor.Works for me anyway---sort of verticle and horizontal flavoring---the highest give intensity--the lower ,depth.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/17 09:35:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the info guys and gals. This has been a good topic for me. I always learn something here.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/17 11:43:42 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Pete,
    After all, beer IS a food if it's made with barley malt, yeast, hops, and water - and not a ton of useless adjuncts. I've still got that recipe, but just exactly where it is is a good question at the moment....

No doubt. Running out of beer is the real reason the pilgrims stopped in Mass, instead of heading south along the coast. the orginal plan had them heading for south of the jamestown colony, which is one of the reasons they were so ill-prepared for that first winter. They weren't supposed to be in a place that had winter to begin with.

From someones Mayflower journal (I can't remember who)
    "Have decided to put ashore. We are running sort of victuals and our beer is almost spent"

No, I don't know why I remember that.

The pilgrims stopped in Mass to eat fried clams, lobster rolls and chowdah. Sheesh! Didn't you go to History Class? Oh, you played hookey that day? Well, there ya go. There wasn't any good grub in Jamestown.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/17 12:12:22 (permalink)
    I would classify running out of beer as a major emergency.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/17 12:44:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

I would classify running out of beer as a major emergency.

Pesky Pilgrims......they should've bought more Budweiser and kept on sailing.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/17 14:23:34 (permalink)
    quote:

I always went to class. I didn't pay much attention when I was there, other than making the occasional snarky remark from the front row (Mr. Stanley, come sit up here in the front row so I can keep my eye on you).

But I went to class.

yeah, right.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: How HOT?? 2003/12/17 14:25:56 (permalink)
    AND......the topic of the forum is what? Can we go back to talking about hot peppers and that Wilbur Scoville dude? Huh? No? Oh yeah, that's right, he didn't have Internet back then. BOOORRRRRRING.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1