How I ate my summer vacation

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1422
Re:How I ate my summer vacation 2013/08/13 08:48:51 (permalink)
CajunKing

Turkey Manhattan made their appearance the week after Thanksgiving.  The rest of the time it was beef manhattans at school.

I just realized i had been to Lurton's many times in previous times.

Commiskey, Indiana was home to Camp Louis Ernst, my BSA summer camp.  It had a "lake", dining hall, camp sites, trails, rifle and shotgun range, trading post, winter cabin.  The camp is in great disrepair, and none of the features I remember are there any more the lake has filled in over the years, the rest fell down or was torn down for safety reasons.

The camp was also home to the "Gollywampus" a mythical creature that roamed the woods at night with a giant red eye, and scared the heck out of many a young camper.  The "Gollywampus" was first reported there the year they dammed the creek to make the lake, they were using block and tackle to place a HUGE Limestone block in the center of the dam, when the rope broke and crushed a man to death.  They couldnt get the rock off of him until the next day when a crane could be brought in, but during the night the Gollywampus came to the camp and moved the rock, the next morning all they found was the rock moved and the trail of blood that led into the surrounding hills.  To this day on a dark and gloomy night you can still see his red eye glowing in the woods, and hear the moanful wail of the killed workman.

Or so we told all the younger scouts who came to camp ernst for the first time.

Commiskey is right up the road and on wednesday night of summer camp we would hike there and get ice cream or a root beer float.

Fantastic story!!!  Thank you for sharing.
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1422
Re:How I ate my summer vacation 2013/08/13 08:50:15 (permalink)
Very fun report, SC.  Your idea of dessert is hilarious.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 538
Re:How I ate my summer vacation 2013/08/13 09:22:00 (permalink)
Later thought, just random, maybe out to lunch....

I saw the Manhattan in an Amish restaurant in Florida.  There are several Amish places in that area, and other Amish people too.  There is a big Amish population in Indiana.  The Manhattan is best known there.  Did the term travel to Florida?

lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7022
Re:How I ate my summer vacation 2013/08/13 12:32:22 (permalink)
love2bake

Very fun report, SC.  Your idea of dessert is hilarious.

I applauded the dessert choice too!  Once in Dreamland BBQ in B'ham the waitress said, "All we have for dessert is banana pudding."  To which I replied, "Good!  I'll have another 1/2 rack of ribs!"
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8495
Re:How I ate my summer vacation 2013/08/13 20:27:08 (permalink)
I prefer meat any day. I would have ordered an additional dinner, as well......
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:How I ate my summer vacation 2013/08/19 17:49:45 (permalink)
Great report, Brad!

Sorry I got to the conversation so late.  Cajun King knows more about the Beef Manhattan than I do.  All I can tell you is that I've seen it served that way all my life.  And it's always been served with brown gravy, the more concentrated (and intense in flavor) the better.

EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4077
Re:How I ate my summer vacation 2013/08/20 15:21:34 (permalink)
Wow, ScreamingChicken, awesome report! I'll take (Beef) Manhattan, a BPT, the Delta Diner---heck, I'll take it all! You've got me salivating now.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1