Hot!How Important is Ambiance to You?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10257
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/20 16:52:59 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Foodbme
To me, Noma looks comfortable, therefore it has Ambiance.

I agree that it looks like a wonderfully comfortable place to enjoy a casual lunch of, say, a $9.00 'gourmet burger', Neapolitan pizza, or barbeque.

But for a $500 pp. three hour degustation?  
Non, la-a, iie, Nein, naonyet ... frigging NO!

Here's what I demand for that:

Sorry, looking out the windows at steel girders doesn't reflect Ambiance to me, even if it's the Eiffel Tower and Paris. Give me a little Bistro on a quiet street somewhere in Paris. 
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4088
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/20 16:59:03 (permalink)

Compare and contrast dining at Noma:

With having a classic dish at La Tour d'Argent:

Chacun a son gout!

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/20 17:13:20 (permalink)
rumaki
Metroplex.Jim:  Is that photo at the restaurant at the Eiffel Tower (I assume so)?

I cannot tell you how thrilling it was to dine in that restaurant.  I had escargots and frog legs, and crepes for dessert.  Yes, I suppose it was touristy, but the food was spectacular and the waiter couldn't have been nicer.

Yes, that is Le Jules Verne.

And I had a similar experience and feel much the same as you.

I have also observed that an ambiance such as that has a calming on the clientele.  At Le Jules Verne, I have a hunch that even a table full of Texans would not force you to share their conversation and merriment. 

Such refuge is rare here in Dallas, but one can always enjoy a quiet meal here.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2631
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/20 17:30:15 (permalink)
MetroplexJim -  Are those true (wear a cowboy hat at all times) Texans, or nouveau (wear a Cowboy's hat at all times) Texans?
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/20 20:05:21 (permalink)
JRPfeff
MetroplexJim -  Are those true (wear a cowboy hat at all times) Texans, or nouveau (wear a Cowboy's hat at all times) Texans?

Actually, the felt fedora indoors and boot set are quite mannerly.  Mostly though, they stick to their country clubs for reasons that became obvious to me two weeks after moving here. 

The problem is:

1)  The BMW/Lexus SUV-driving, sandal-wearing 38 year old men with their vacuous (but fit!) blond brood mares being blissfully oblivious to the din coming from their litter of future Republicans. (At least for that, Bless their hearts and fecund bodies).

2)  Ball-cap wearing rubes with no volume control and their ditzy females who feel they must cackle loudly at every bon mot that dribbles from the lips of 'their man' (who is in fact, merely the latest in a long line of significant others). 

And that's just at breakfast.  Add beer for lunch and bourbon for dinner and one immediately grasps the basis of the stereotype.

Even though these ill-educated hicks (including the many with degrees from a Texas institution of higher learning) well could afford Lexus or Benz, they drive jacked up F-150 trucks with no signs of use in their beds - not for work, but to terrorize the all the BMWs, Benz, and Lexi that choke the magnificent highways of the Metroplex!  

Alarmingly, most of these hicks wear sandals, too!   (BTW: How can one kick sh*t in sandals). 
Hairy man toes.  Ick.  Shi*ty, hairy man toes.  Double ick!.

I could go on, but you get my drift.

That said, the ones that worry me are the recent émigrés from Cali who have come to Texas so as to be able to afford a nice home, and the taxes & utilities, and nice cars, ... and even have kids

They look a little bitter here - especially in the summer - but at least they are well-behaved in restaurants.  Of course those men wear sandals, too.  But, they wax their man toes.

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/07/21 09:13:48
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/20 20:16:08 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
JRPfeff

Actually, the felt fedora indoors and boot set are quite mannerly.  Mostly though, they stick to their country clubs for reasons that became obvious to me two weeks after moving here. 
The problem is:
1)  The BMW/Lexus SUV-driving, sandal-wearing 38 year old men with their vacuous (but fit!) blond brood mares being blissfully oblivious to the din coming from their litter of future Republicans. (At least for that, Bless their hearts and fecund bodies).
2)  Ball-cap wearing rubes with no volume control and their ditzy females who feel they must cackle loudly at every bon mot that dribbles from the lips of 'their man' (who is in fact, their most recent significant other).  
And that's just at breakfast.  Add beer for lunch and bourbon for dinner and one immediately grasps the basis of the stereotype.
Even though these ill-educated hicks (including the many with degrees from a Texas institution of higher learning) well could afford Lexus or Benz, they drive jacked up F-150 trucks, but, alarmingly, most of these hicks wear sandals, too!  (How can one kick sh*t in sandals.  Ick.) 
That said, the ones that worry me are the recent émigrés from Cali who have come to Texas so as to be able to afford a nice home, and nice cars, and have kids.  They look a little bitter here - especially in the summer - at least they are well-behaved in restaurants.  Of course those men wear sandals, too.

Hey Jim,
That's what makes Texas TEXAS!
Dallas--- Second only to Scottsdale for a proliferation of Plastic Surgery Handiwork!
post edited by Foodbme - 2014/07/22 01:06:47
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/20 20:25:09 (permalink)

I think we lead Scottsdale in such procedures for those under 60.
CCJPO
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 528
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/21 07:40:45 (permalink)
I had to laugh at the cowboy hat reference. I have found that that are many "cowboys", that are "all hat and no cattle" cowboys. I have cattle, I hate hats, as they make my head itch. However I have a pretty good Stetson, beaver, for those necessary occasions. Since I am losing my hair, I usually wear a loose, tie down bucket hat or a very old Cleveland Indians baseball cap. I have no class whatsoever. But I don't feel that I have to impress many people at this stage of the game. LMAO.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/21 09:40:23 (permalink)
CCJPO
I had to laugh at the cowboy hat reference. I have found that that are many "cowboys", that are "all hat and no cattle" cowboys. I have cattle, I hate hats, as they make my head itch. However I have a pretty good Stetson, beaver, for those necessary occasions. Since I am losing my hair, I usually wear a loose, tie down bucket hat or a very old Cleveland Indians baseball cap. I have no class whatsoever. But I don't feel that I have to impress many people at this stage of the game. LMAO.

Oh, yes.  We still have "the real deals".  They wear the hat their daddy passed down, a plain double pocketed shirt, comfortable natural fiber pants, and re-soled many times boots.  Their only adornments are plain wedding bands, a serviceable watch, and some form of Masonic insignia.  They drive decade old American luxury cars that are spit-shine clean despite having 300K on the odometer.  Those gentlemen are TEXANS.  They are soft-spoken and have manners the Queen of England would envy.  Do no mess with them.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 514
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/21 11:05:04 (permalink)
MP Jim --
Someone who has lived in Texas said you could live there forty years, and never be a REAL Texan.  This guy lived in FW-D.  I would think that attitude would be found more outside the cities if anywhere.  Have you found that?  I would think not so much in a university setting.

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/21 11:31:52 (permalink)
Frankly, the 'real TEXAN uniform' I described in #39 above is fairly common in Ft. Worth than it is in Dallas.  The gentlemen with such ethos in Dallas (more properly, Highland Park & University Park - independent cities wholly within Dallas) tend to dress bespoke, boots included.  Their watches are leather-strapped Patek-Philippe; their vehicles start at Lexus & Benz.  But, the bearing and manners are the same.

The university faculties down here are considerably less looney than elsewhere, but are still looney.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/07/21 11:36:48
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6817
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/21 11:40:11 (permalink)
Now I'm not sure if I'm sad or glad I've never been to Texas.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7899
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/21 12:02:55 (permalink)
Been in Texas going on 2 months now.  Let's say it's differnt.

I've never seen so many American made cars since the 50s.  Kids are now adorned with tattoos from their wrists all the way to their belt line leaving no naked skin to be seen.  That's the women as well and they're not all kids.  Hope it scares away the skeeters.

I do see boots on some of the "older" men and I like the way it affects their stride.

I'm almost to the Oklahoma border and that does make a difference.  I think this is more old school Texas.

I don't see the bobbed noses here or the inflated flotation devices.  Except for the tattoos and piercings, people are real and not plastic.  I see more big belt buckles than hats.

The one thing I do see here more often than in Los Angeles is manners.  Don't see cars covered in door dings, either.

kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 828
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/21 14:36:21 (permalink)
Returning to the regular scheduled programming.....

Wasn't there a restaurant that used the catch phrase 'You can't eat atmosphere'?  I seem to recall it may have been Horn & Hardart. 

Being from NY I'm fairly familiar with Peter Lugers (both locations) and a place on Long Island offering similar fare (excuse the plug for PG's Steak House in Huntington or Ellwood NY). Similar fare with very similar prices.  Recently the wife and I had the opportunity to drive from the east coast to Denver and back. On the way we stopped for a steak lunch at Doe's Eat Place in Little Rock and got a T-bone for 2 with salad and fires that we enjoyed as much as back east.  The place has zero ambiance but is a classic and the best part, the total bill was $38.  If we lived nearby, in no time my cholesterol would have a comma in it.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/21 15:49:37 (permalink)
lleechef

Just think of it as 'the Augustine's Pizza' of places to live. 

There's a lot to love about it, but then ...
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6817
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/21 17:35:42 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
lleechef

Just think of it as 'the Augustine's Pizza' of places to live.

I had a feeling you would say that!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/07/22 01:14:21 (permalink)
I used to travel to Dallas frequently back in the early 70's which prompted me to write a C & W Song titled, "Oh, Take Me Back To the Land of The Buffont Hair-do & Mercedes Benz!"
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/08/10 13:11:42 (permalink)
Foodbme
I used to travel to Dallas frequently back in the early 70's which prompted me to write a C & W Song titled, "Oh, Take Me Back To the Land of The Buffont Hair-do & Mercedes Benz!"

Since the '70's, the hair has been toned down a bit, but it still is relatively 'large' vis a vis 'everywhere else'.  And Lexus and BMW have now joined Benz as the most common means of urban transport, but get 40 miles away from Dallas and Ford trucks outnumber all cars combined.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: How Important is Ambiance to You? 2014/08/10 13:17:23 (permalink)
I was playing around with Zagat and came across a picture of my favorite 'ambiance spot' in the U.S.:  The Prime Rib in Washington, D.C.

If you can't 'close the deal' after a dinner/date here it's definitely time to move on!

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/08/10 13:27:26
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1