How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!!

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6321
2011/05/31 15:31:03 (permalink)

How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!!

Just talked to my sister on the west coast, who graciously took me to my first in n out burger place a few years ago. She told me a 5 Guys opened in San Diego. She wants to go and do a comparison. I explained the similarities and differences....but I didn't know 5 Guys were on the west coast too. Maybe some day we Easterners will get an in N out !!!
   By the way, she said to mention Rocky's Crown Pub in San Diego, Her favorite burger place. Anyone ever had one??
http://rockyburgers.com/Rockys_Home.html
Since we're talking burgers in general, I hope the purists aren't upset I posted on the burgers forum. I don't think Rocky's is a chain, anyway!!

28 Replies Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3741
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/05/31 15:49:00 (permalink)
    The title suggests that you are talking  about chains,  so  that in my  opinion, is where            you should have posted this.                                                                                                                                                                                                            
    post edited by Greymo - 2011/05/31 15:50:01
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/05/31 16:42:30 (permalink)
    I don't care where you put it, Lee. We have neither.
    No Rocky's either.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/05/31 16:45:22 (permalink)
    Thanks......my sister also mentioned HODAD"s as another great burger joint. I don't think that's a chain either....Apparantly Southern Cal. has lots of choices.....
    nach0king
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/05/31 18:01:25 (permalink)
    DFW also has In-n-Out and Five Guys both. Five Guys doesn't even begin to compare - In-n-Out is vastly superior, as is smashburger.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/05/31 22:07:26 (permalink)
    Got to disagree...I'd go 180 degrees in the other direction!!!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8115
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/05/31 22:20:06 (permalink)
    Hodad's is a great place to go to if you like chocolate shakes... not hamburgers.  The only thing not ordinary about them is the wait in the line to get a table.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5094
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/05/31 23:45:10 (permalink)
    In Richardson (Dallas) we have a 50 year old family run "hole in the wall" called Del's Charcoal Hamburgers. When you drive by, you can see and smell the wood smoke coming off the char broiler. They sure don't make them that way anymore. They're the same burgers our grand folks enjoyed. And, they make their own frosty root beer, too! Not a chain, only one location! A dying breed, indeed.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/KMm-bWZsmTFMe9HT11UF_w?select=FLe7g1pF5rHiuVX6CmYqog

post edited by Twinwillow - 2011/05/31 23:55:35
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/01 05:01:04 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

In Richardson (Dallas) we have a 50 year old family run "hole in the wall" called Del's Charcoal Hamburgers. When you drive by, you can see and smell the wood smoke coming off the char broiler. They sure don't make them that way anymore. They're the same burgers our grand folks enjoyed. And, they make their own frosty root beer, too! Not a chain, only one location! A dying breed, indeed.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/KMm-bWZsmTFMe9HT11UF_w?select=FLe7g1pF5rHiuVX6CmYqog

Wow...that sounds like a special place!!!!!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4236
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/02 08:37:25 (permalink)
    nach0king

DFW also has In-n-Out and Five Guys both. Five Guys doesn't even begin to compare - In-n-Out is vastly superior, as is smashburger.

Thank you, NachOking, for your well-considered and defended opinion.  Smashburger is on my list of places to try the next time I find myself in Addison for something other than Sunday breakfast at Benedict's.

As I tell my economics classes: if everyone had the same tastes and preferences the only happy couple on earth would be "Bradgelina"!

Following is my comparison of Five Guys and In-N-Out which I posted elsewhere on these fora.  There is a lot good to be said of both.

------------------------------------------

West has at last come to "meat" East!  Mrs. Metro and I happen to be lucky enough now to have two Five Guys and two In-N-Outs within 10 miles of our home in McKinney, TX, birthplace and burial ground of Haystacks Calhoun.  If only Haystacks could have lived to see this ... 

MiamiDon's Photo

VS.

Presentation:
    After having discovered their first store - a now-closed walk-up with no seating in the Westmont Shopping Center in Arlington, VA, I have been a Five Guys customer since the Reagan Administration.  Their quality, reasonably-priced food then overcame my objections of blaring music, no seating, and sh*tty "presentation".  Since, the music has been toned down, they now provide seating, but their presentation is still sh*tty - especially as one can see above vis a vis In-N-Out .  When they were only a walk-up I could see putting everything in a poke as I had to take it to my car to eat.  Why they have not evolved beyond that is beyond me.  Mrs. Metro, who does not allow condiment bottles on our dinner table (ketchup, steak sauce, salsa, etc. are served in minature pitchers or small ramekins with tiny spoons) is absolutely horrified by the "pokes".

Another thing I hate about Five Guys presentation is that my burger looks like this on their prep table: 

And 20 seconds later when I take it out of the steaming poke 'o fries and unwrap the foil, it looks like this: 

This gives me PSTD-type flashbacks of trying to keep the grease away from my Charvet tie when eating such in my Euro-Coupe!  I am seriously tempted to take my own plate when I next go.  In-N-Out wins presentation hands down and six ways from Sunday!

The meat:
    Both use excellent quality fresh, hand pattied beef.  As neither wants a salmonellosis scandal, both source their own beef and cook it "well done".  As Five Guys's patties are 65% larger than INO's (3.3 oz. vs. 2 oz.), Five Guys is the jucier, tastier finished product.

The bun:
    In keeping with the tradition of their first store which was located next to their bun supplier, Brenner's Bakery, the Guys use a substantial sesame seeded bun while INO's is closer to a Wal-Mary "Great Value" bun.  That said, Five Guys bun had better be substantial in order to survive the abuse it undergoes with their above-mentioned (and illustrated) sh*tty presentation!

The toppings:
    Both are fresh and top-notch, but the Guys have a far greater variety (A-1, sauteed shrooms, etc., etc.) which they apply at no extra charge.  (Nothing is "free", however, see pricing & value below).

The fries:
    You tell me:  
                                          Five Guys (this photo illustrates less than half their "small" portion)                                                                               

vs.

INO

Both cut their own fries fresh in-house, blanch them, then fry them to finish right before serving.  INO peels their potatos, the Guys do not and also cut a larger fry and serve a MUCH larger portion.  The Guys fry in peanut oil, INO uses vegetable oil.  The Guys' fries have a definite potato taste; INO's are kind of mealy.  The "fry contest" is in fact "no contest".  And the Guys even provide malt vinegar!                                                                               

Price, FYI:
    INO Double Double w/cheese, L/T/P/Sauce (4 oz. beef): $3.75 (and looks very pretty when served!)
    Five Guys "regular" w/cheese and "you name it toppings" (6.6 oz. beef): $5.69
    Five Guys "small burger" w/cheese and "you name it toppings" (3.3 oz beef): $3.75
    INO Fries Regular: $1.75
    INO Fries "animal-style" - regular size w/ sauteed onions & burger sauce: $3.30 (served w/ fork, thank you)
    Five Guys "Small": $2.79 (more than twice the serving as INO, and malt vinegar is available!)

Bottom Line:
    Both places beat the living snot out of McWendyKing and are excellent exemplars of American Entrepreneurship.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/02 09:29:57 (permalink)
    Again, I think this is right on....fair and accurate.Thanks!!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/02 10:17:50 (permalink)
    Jim, the ONLY problem with INO is, the long lines. Over on DallasChowhound.com  they're saying the wait on line is still a half hour at 4:00PM!
    I'm waiting for their next Dallas location to open later this summer at Caruth & 75. That one is only 4 miles from my house.
    Can't wait for my double, double animal style
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/02 10:18:07 (permalink)
    In-N- Out and 5 Guys are two different experiences. In-N- Out is a company owned,non franchised, classic fast food drive-in/sit down/drive through in a free standing parcel. 5 Guys are franchised stores usually located in a strip mall/center. IMO the two burgers are in different classes and the 5 Guys product varies from location to location.

By the way, I understand the master franchise for 5 Guys in SoCal was purchased by Phil Mickelson,the professional golfer.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/03 07:06:37 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

Jim, the ONLY problem with INO is, the long lines. Over on DallasChowhound.com  they're saying the wait on line is still a half hour at 4:00PM!
    I'm waiting for their next Dallas location to open later this summer at Caruth & 75. That one is only 4 miles from my house.
    Can't wait for my double, double animal style

After 3 weeks even at non-peak times it's still at least a 30 minute wait in Allen.  I'm reminded by the old Yogi Berra quote:  "It's so crowded nobody goes there anymore!"
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/03 07:20:44 (permalink)
    acer2x

In-N- Out and 5 Guys are two different experiences. In-N- Out is a company owned,non franchised, classic fast food drive-in/sit down/drive through in a free standing parcel. 5 Guys are franchised stores usually located in a strip mall/center. IMO the two burgers are in different classes and the 5 Guys product varies from location to location.

By the way, I understand the master franchise for 5 Guys in SoCal was purchased by Phil Mickelson,the professional golfer.

Phil Mickelson!  He had better weatch himself or his "man-boobs" will be making a comeback!

You are right about the differences between INO and the Guys.  As Five Guys does not advertise "word of mouth" is everything; Jerry Murrell had better get on top of quality control or the golden goose might expire.  The one good thing I'll say about McDonald's is that they are equally awful everywhere.  Out of curiosity I've tried them in Rio and Paris and the food is all the same.  And so is the help - they don't speak English over there either! 
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2011/06/03 07:22:39
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6398
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/03 08:56:32 (permalink)
    In-n-Out, 5 Guys, Smashburger, Elevation Burger, etc. are all just fast food chain stuff to me and nothing to get excited about. What makes them interesting is none of them are totally national thus have a mysterious desire aura. They all taste OK but they don't compare to a good upscale bar/pub burger that can be had in most cities. That's why I have blocked even seeing the fast food chain forum threads. Not worth talking about.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/03 10:06:30 (permalink)
    Davydd

In-n-Out, 5 Guys, Smashburger, Elevation Burger, etc. are all just fast food chain stuff to me and nothing to get excited about. What makes them interesting is none of them are totally national thus have a mysterious desire aura. They all taste OK but they don't compare to a good upscale bar/pub burger that can be had in most cities. That's why I have blocked even seeing the fast food chain forum threads. Not worth talking about.

Although I always enjoyed an occasional INO when traveling out west, I definitely concur with your message.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/03 10:32:22 (permalink)
    Here in the far western reaches of Chicago land we now have 5 Guys which joins Smashburger and Tom and Eddies all within 2 miles of one another. Tom and Eddies is a new 3 store chain owned by two former McDonalds execs that features fresh made burgers. 5 Guys just opened a week ago and I haven't tried it, but Tom & Eddies is superior over Smashburger IMHO.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/03 20:19:33 (permalink)
    All this about burgers and what is "fast food" and what is not got me going down memory lane and remembering the best "fast food" I ever encountered:  the first Arby's in Youngstown, OH ca. 1965.

They had only two items on the menu: a 79 cent REAL roast beef sandwich and a 49 cent "Jamoca" milk-shake:  no fries, no Coke, nothing but real beef and real shake.  (The present Arby's food bears no resemblance whatsoever to what was served then: a real roasted round of beef was sliced to order and the milk-shakes involved actually scooping ice cream). 

Arby's prices were "super-premium" as one could then get a 3 pc. chicken dinner from Red Barn for 59 cents; 61 cents would get you 2 burgers, fries, and a "shake" from McD's; nevertheless, Arby's was so good we used to drive 20 miles to pay the extra for quality.

Five Guy has done a good job at keeping their menu simple.  And their fries are much better than they were in 1986 when they just dropped raw potato into peanut oil without first blanching them.

Is there any entrepreneur out there who would recreate the original Arby's?  There is a fortune to be made.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/03 21:01:09 (permalink)
    I agree, simple menu,fair value!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/04 10:30:43 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

Twin --- thanks for the tip.  I have to meet a colleague in Richardson next week for lunch and Del's will be the spot.

And speaking of your tips: as Mrs. Metro, who won't go near an Asian reataurant, is out of town for a few weeks
    I'll also make time for First Chinese BBQ.  As she is our family comptroller I'm sure I'll get a call that night asking me what I'm doing taking cash from an ATM!  Even though I love teaching I dearly miss the cash registers from my days as a small businessman.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/04 13:35:30 (permalink)
    Jim, be sure and let me know what you thought of Del's.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/06/06 19:46:29 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

Jim, be sure and let me know what you thought of Del's.

Had lunch there today:  Burger topped by "Tangy Relish Sauce with Onions", rings, and root beer.

Great stuff!  And VERY reasonable prices, too!  My buddy (who has lived in Richardson for more than a decade) had never heard of the place.  We both thank you for the "tip".
    isaacgish
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/10/11 18:58:40 (permalink)
    You guys should move to st. George, UT.  We have an In and out, and a pretty new 5 guys.  I've never eaten at 5 guys but I hear it's pretty good so I should try it soon.  
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8115
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/10/11 19:32:05 (permalink)
    I LOVE Del's.  It's in a strange location, but worth finding it.

My order was the exact copy of Jim's.  When I first looked at that "Tangy Relish Sauce" my reaction was disappointment.  Then I tasted it!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/10/12 00:05:49 (permalink)
    I suspect Five Guys (which i like) is about to be krispy kremed; a formerly beloved regional chain will expand and lose the quality that made it a regional phenomenon. I can't believe that Krispy kreme now features ice cream and it is still shocking to have a 5 Guys less than a mile from where i work.
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1118
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/10/12 09:40:45 (permalink)
    Let me add my two cents to the confusion. Here in greater Austin we now have "Terra Burger" The first organic all natural burger at twive the price of In & Out. The yupsters never quit.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/10/12 13:10:31 (permalink)
    Brisketboy,

With Terra Burger and previously mentioned, Rudy's you describe things where I know that you are near 183. I never see anyone in that parking lot.  One quality place here that may grow is P. Terry's; their lot is always full and the one on Town Lake is a destination for my lakefront walks as their outdoor seating is dog friendly. I haven't tried them, but there are a few Elevation Burger places which also fills this niche.
    I hope Top Notch never expands, ever. Their lot is always full. 

mark
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1118
    Re:How Lucky are they? in n out and now 5 guys,too!!! 2011/10/12 14:32:51 (permalink)
    You're right dd, I work right across from the IHOP on 183 and there is never anyone in the terra burger lot. Our receptionist went there once and won't go back. I would like to mention that when I was active duty we used to drive from San Diego to Long Beach and there were two places we dropped into religiously. Pea Soup Andersons in Carlsbad, and the In and Out there by Seal Beach. Double Double with Onions...oh my.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1