The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To?

MiamiDon

How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Wed, 05/11/11 4:41 PM (permalink)
This is the poll topic for this week. 

I have eaten food purchased at 17 restaurants that are either in the official Roadfood.com reviews or are in the Roadfood 2011 book.  I thought it would only be about a half dozen, at first.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3289
    Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Wed, 05/11/11 5:01 PM (permalink)
    I have answered incorrectly if we are only supposed to count officially recognized restaurants.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
      Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Wed, 05/11/11 8:48 PM (permalink)
      I don't get out much...

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
        Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Wed, 05/11/11 9:13 PM (permalink)
        I said six to ten on the poll, but I didn't realize that included places reviewed here. With that it's 18 just in Connecticut and 12 in Ohio. I didn't bother with any other states.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
          Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Wed, 05/11/11 9:43 PM (permalink)
          Taken from the restaurant list on the front page:

California :

1 California Roll Factory - Los Angeles , CA 
          2 Cassell's Hamburgers - Los Angeles, CA
          3 Clifton's Cafeteria - Los Angeles, CA 
          4 Du-Par's - Los Angeles, CA
          5 Earl's Donuts - Chatsworth, CA
          6 El Gallito - Cathedral City, CA
          7 El Tepeyac Cafe - Los Angeles, CA
          8 Fab Hot Dogs - Reseda, CA
          9 Fosselman's Ice Cream Company - Alhambra, CA 
          10 Galco’s Soda Pop Shop - Los Angeles, CA 
          11 G's Juice - Playa Del Rey, CA
          12 Hadley Fruit Orchards - Cabazon, CA 
          13 Hodad's - Ocean Beach, CA
          14 In-N-Out Burger - Hollywood, CA 
          15 John O'Groats - Los Angeles, CA
          16 Mama's on Washington Square - San Francisco, CA
          17 Mom's Tamales - Los Angeles, CA
          18 Munch Box - Chatsworth, CA
          19 Original Pantry - Los Angeles, CA
          20 Pann's - Los Angeles, CA 
          21 Philippe the Original - Los Angeles, CA
          22 Pink's Famous Chili Dogs - Los Angeles, CA
          23 Randy's Donuts - Inglewood, CA 
          24 Roscoe’s House of Chicken ’n Waffles - Los Angeles, CA 
          25 Sherman's Deli & Bakery - Palm Springs, CA
          26 Shields Date Gardens - Indio, CA
          27 Tadich Grill - San Francisco, CA
          28 Wheel Inn - Cabazon, CA 

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
            Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Wed, 05/11/11 9:44 PM (permalink)
            I am glad that this thread has cleared the matter up.  I wasn't going to vote in the poll until I found out whether it was for only those places mentioned in one of the books, only restaurants reviewed in the "Restaurant" section of this website, or if it could be any place anywhere that could qualify in the general definition of being "Roadfood" rather than being one location of a chain or a franchise operation, or existing as a fancy "black tie" eatery.  In my various travels I have come across many that could qualify in the general definition of good Roadfood, but are not spectacular enough in their menu to deserve a review or a special trip.  (In other words, they have good food, if you happen to be hungry when you are near by.)  Example: Cookie Jar Cafe, Salem, SD, about 3 mi. off I 90.

Michael Hoffman

Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Wed, 05/11/11 9:46 PM (permalink)
              Boy, Mar, don't you ever cook?

mar52

Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Wed, 05/11/11 9:48 PM (permalink)
                That list shocked me.  I thought I never get out.

Michael Hoffman

Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Wed, 05/11/11 9:49 PM (permalink)

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                    Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Thu, 05/12/11 2:16 AM (permalink)
                    You can all see my list on the thread These are the Places i've Eaten on roadfood" .It is 243.
                    <message edited by mr chips on Thu, 05/12/11 9:45 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Thu, 05/12/11 8:41 AM (permalink)
                      mar52-
                      That is an impressive list!  The place I really want to hit is Clifton's Cafeteria.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7382
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Thu, 05/12/11 8:56 AM (permalink)
                        Mar,

I concurr with Buffetbuster
                        I'm flattered that you included some of the places I reviewed

I counted 373 for me, but I didn't include any of the places I reviewed (unless they were subsequently reviewed by one of the Roadfood Team Members)

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                          Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Thu, 05/12/11 9:46 AM (permalink)
                          Very impressive L.A. list, Marlene.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                            Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Thu, 05/12/11 4:02 PM (permalink)
                            I've eaten a lot of good Roadfood, but I've never paid attention to if any of them were from this site or the Stern's books of recomendation.

mar52

Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Thu, 05/12/11 6:47 PM (permalink)
                              I think that Clifton's finally closed its doors.  I ate at a few of the locations.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3289
                                Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Thu, 05/12/11 9:09 PM (permalink)
                                WarToad

I've eaten a lot of good Roadfood, but I've never paid attention to if any of them were from this site or the Stern's books of recomendation.

Exactly. If the only thing that counts for something being "roadfood" is to have been featured or reviewed on this site or in one of the books, then that pretty much goes against everything I think of as "roadfood". If I had to go by the criteria that it has to be something from here or one of  the books, then I don't believe I've been to more than a couple. But by my reckoning, it's somewhere between 75 and 100. Probably my fault for not reviewing them, but I've never been very clear on who is allowed to write reviews, and it never occurs to me when I'm there anyway,

plb

Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Thu, 05/12/11 10:36 PM (permalink)
                                  mar52

I think that Clifton's finally closed its doors.  I ate at a few of the locations.

The downtown one was still in operation as of two years ago.  It still has a website.

Louis

• Total Posts: 713
                                    Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Thu, 05/12/11 11:29 PM (permalink)
                                    I kept my selections to those that have appeared in the books.  For someone who can't get away from home very often, I was surprised at how much territory I had covered over the last 20 years.  I had been to nearly 50 roadfood restaurants throughout the South and Midwest and the edge of the eastern west.  I still have a lot of territory to cover.  I'm preparing for my two-week summertime roadfood binge now.

buffetbuster

Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Fri, 05/13/11 5:53 AM (permalink)
                                      Where are you headed this year Louis?  How do you decide where to go?

mar52

Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Fri, 05/13/11 1:15 PM (permalink)
                                        I've been to a few great Roadfood places in some other states.

My home state places seem so ordinary to me because I eat at them often.

Louis

• Total Posts: 713
                                          Re:How Many Roadfood Places Have You Been To? Fri, 05/13/11 7:14 PM (permalink)
                                          Well, Cliff, that's a good question.  How do I decide where I'm going and where am I going this year?

First off, I try to find a place in the United States that I haven't been to before that I can travel to and back within a 14-day span.  Once I settle on a destination, I work out a roadfood itinerary, one that I won't wear myself out driving.  (Back in 1997 I think I hit 14 states in 14 days; I was so tired from driving that my vacation was coming back to work.)

I had been avoiding urban centers, but since I bought a GPS (thanks to you, Cliff, who kept writing about them in your trip reports) I have braved the wilds of urban traffic without getting myself killed.  Last year I finally made it to Cincinnati.  Before then, I would look at those Cincy street maps for hours and eventually talk myself out of a visit.

My preference, though, is what I've been used to all my life: small town America.   Or a very medium-sized city without a lot of traffic.  It's kind of neat, I think, to find a culinary diamond in the rough.

This year I'm looking at Louisiana, New York, Maine, and Iowa.  I have yet to travel to those states.

Two years ago I spent most of it in Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana.

I was going to Louisiana last year, but the extreme heat we had in the latter part of June kept me in Michigan and northern Indiana and Ohio for the most part.  I spent one full day in Nashville, and then I headed back north where it was cooler.  I went to the Indianapolis region and Springfield, Illinois to finish out the rest of my roadfood destinations.  (It was kind of a botched trip, in that the extreme heat kind of messed up my plans to also travel to Alabama and Louisiana.)

I travel with a huge two-foot stack of printed out sheets from this website when I travel.  And now that I think about it, I might go through those.  I only looked at the recent books when I said that I had been to almost 50 roadfood restaurants.  If I went through all my notes, the number of restaurants I've been two might be somewhere in the 50-100 category.  Maybe 75 or so.

Traveling by the roadfood books and the pages on the website is a great way to spend a vacation.  I've been doing it nearly every year since 1992 and have never regretted it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com