How Much Can You Eat?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 63
Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1020
  • Reward points : 0
How Much Can You Eat? - Wed, 06/11/03 7:28 PM
Our latest story for Epicurious.com is about All You Can Eat Restaurants http://eat.epicurious.com/restaurant/sterns/index.ssf?/restaurant/sterns/allyoucaneat.html. Please check it out, and we welcome you to add any we missed to the Roadfood.com database in the form of a review.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Wed, 06/11/03 8:45 PM
I do have a pet peeve to add. Since when did all-you-can-eat restaurants evolve into all-you-care-to-eat ones? Something about that phrase just smacks of some type of food world political correctness and it really bugs me. Please tell me I'm not alone.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15064
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Wed, 06/11/03 9:54 PM
You are not alone RubyRose !!
I think a good review for a terrible dining experience is " This Place Sucks!" but in this PC world that type of review would be deleted in no time !!
I have learned to agree in general with the comments made all over this board about some health concerns and quality control at buffet style restaurants. There are a few where I feel the risk is worth the possible damage.
I have been to several AYCE places that serve "Boarding House or Family" style. That so far seems to be a reasonable compromise.

Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1020
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Thu, 06/12/03 4:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

I do have a pet peeve to add. Since when did all-you-can-eat restaurants evolve into all-you-care-to-eat ones? Something about that phrase just smacks of some type of food world political correctness and it really bugs me. Please tell me I'm not alone.

My feeling about "All You Care To Eat" is that it was a way for a restaurateur to subtly hint that the point was not to eat until you busted, but to eat until you had enough, thus discouraging customers from ravishing the buffet. And I totally agree about the health concerns about serve-yourself places. That's why I like always to be the FIRST in line for any meal, pre-sneezes. That's also why I love cafeterias so much. No, they're not all you can possibly eat, but they have the same bounteous hospitality ... and the food is handled only by foodservice professionals.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Thu, 06/12/03 4:33 PM
I love AYCE places for the variety which is important to me, since I don't have the stomach space for quantity eating..probably best I don't, I be bigger than I am now! hehe. Of course I'd rather have a smaller variety of excellent food than a large variety of mediocre stuff, like at Hometown Buffet..ugh!

VibrationGuy
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Thu, 06/12/03 6:45 PM
Color me a cynic, but I'd suspect you're *vastly* more likely to be harmed by food in places with bad temperature controls than you are from buffet service. It doesn't matter if it's a 5-star french masterpiece or a food cart in a questionable part of town; keeping food under 45 or over 140 is key. The only difference with buffet restaurants is that the bad food handling practices are front-and-center, rather than behind a swinging door or pass-through.

One advantage I particularly like about buffets is that I can take a cruise through, have some soup and a roll, both low-risk foods, and assess what the risk level is from the rest of the items. There are salad bars I wouldn't touch on a bet, right next to hot lines that are perfectly safe. I've been appalled by places that don't seem to have the turnover required for successful buffet, and willing to take more risk at places that look clean, have good food and don't let anything sit anywhere for two hours, so the temp. control risk isn't very high.

Eric, Who Really Should Make It To The Maltby Cafe One Of These Days (Any Chance Of A Full Review, Michael?)

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Fri, 06/13/03 9:23 AM
I generally feel safe with a buffet if there is an attendant on duty who actually seems interested and fequently checks on items and stirs things.

pigface
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Fri, 06/13/03 7:58 PM
I Liked the Hopkins House in Pensacola ... And No I don't need to eat that Much everyday, But it provided a Memorable Dining Experience, that we shared with three complete strangers at the same table of shared dinner platters. Highly Recommended
for western Florida

CoreyEl
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Fri, 06/13/03 10:20 PM
I never feel like I get my money's worth at a buffet, as I never can eat more than one plate, and it seems like everyone else makes multiple trips. Plus, I got the food poisoning of a lifetime at a Chinese buffet, so even the word scares me these days...

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Sat, 06/14/03 1:01 PM
I'll second the food poisoning at a Chinese Buffet, while the rest of my family was enjoying Easter dinner this year, I was upstairs moaning and groaning from the Chinese buffet we went to the night before. Didn't eat too much at the buffet, just the wrong thing and I was the only one who ate it.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15064
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Sat, 06/14/03 4:42 PM
I decided to post this entry here as opposed to the BBQ thread because I want to have those of you who might search out other dishes on a buffet have the opportunity to see how the folks in Western Kentucky make things "Right". Stern's did a nice review of the Moonlite some time back. The prices have gone up a bit, $11 for dinner now, but the quality and variety remains great.
In the first photo I want to show you the Hot Veggies available with the meat that is pictured in the restaurant review section of this site. From left to right...Fried Apples, Green Beans with Ham chunks,Mac and Cheese, Creamed Corn, Whole Okra Pods stewed with Tomato and Onions, A Brocolli-Cheese Cassarole, and Mashed Potato's and Gravy (Brown)

In the meat section, In addition to the four basic BBQ meats (Pictured below)--Chicken-Pulled Pork and Pork Ribs-Brisket- Mutton (chopped fine and in chunks) they had (Thursday evening) Fried Shrimp (pass them by next time) Catfish Filets (outstanding) Whole Catfish, and Country Ham on small Bisquits. Here is the basic BBQ service..Keep on coming back as needed to make you "more than Happy".

After all these decisions Here is what I came away with... On the little plate...Cole Slaw, Potato Salad, Pickled Beets, and the Shrimp that I will pass on next time...too much breading on to little shrimp. In the main arena!!! I have Fried Apples, Mutton chunks, Pulled Pork and some Pork Ribs, and several Catfish filets. AND some really good Ice Tea.

Two other attractions that I did not post photo's of...The Burgoo, Kentucky's version of the Brunswick Stew. It receives rave reviews from many of the folks at the place..I just make it a low enough priority when compared to the other items, that I pass it by often. Also they have a really nice clean and well-chilled cold veggie bar. Slaw is good, Potato Salad is better. Lots of added veggies and melon slices and balls and other fruit.
If you jump over to the Pie Favorite thread, you'll see why we kept our plates 'Moderate' The dessert offerings are worth a second look for sure.
Finally they have a "store & take-out section" in an ajoining room by the entrance. You can buy anything on the menu for take-out, plus the usual Tee-shirts and Hats, Burgoo (Canned), Sauces, and 4 lb bags of Hickory Chips for use with home smokers. It is fun wandering thru this area, after one completes the Prime Mission.

Pool Boy
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Sun, 06/15/03 2:22 PM
I love burgoo.

I am not a fan of buffet type places, though.

algernon99
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 06/23/03 4:29 PM
My favorite all-you-can-eat is when Tony Roma's does their annual (or is it semi-annual) Endless Slab promotion. All you can eat Tony Roma ribs is heaven on earth for me. And I can eat a fair amount, under the right conditions. Health concerns don't come into play because you order each new slab or half-slab and it comes by waiter from the kitchen.

Oh my goodness, I'm salivating all over the keyboard....

Rich
http://www.beanbible.com

peppertree
  • Total Posts : 301
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Thu, 06/26/03 5:55 PM
Applebee's near me is having All You Can Eat ribs this week.

The question how much can you eat? I surprised myself yesterday. I am 5'8" and weigh about 165. I am not a fat person though I probably could lose 15 pounds.

Yesterday I took a friend to a local NY style deli called Manny Hattans. I ate a deli style brisket sandwich (fat and heavy filled with meat) and my friend never had a knish before since he is a Texan and a Gentile so I ordered a knish for us to share. We also decided to share an order of fries which was a pretty full dish of fries.

My friend had a deli sandwich and to eat his half of the knish, he had to push himself. He got pretty full from
the sandwich. He did not even attempt to eat a french fry. As for me, I ate my sandwich and half knish plus I ate the whole order of fries and had a bottle of Dr. Brown's Cream Soda. After we parted, I had a half hour to go before an appointment. I was still hungry so I went to Chick-Fil-A and bought a chicken sandwich to go and bought a 44 ounce Coke to drink with it from a gas station. I still was not full but I was no longer hungry. Sometimes I wonder about how much I can eat.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3580
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Thu, 06/26/03 6:19 PM
One interesting thing I've noticed about some of these "all you can eat" specials is that they really aren't worth it. For example------Johnny Reb's here has catfish on the menu with sides etc. for $10. I ALWAYS have a lot of leftovers to take because they are huge portions. They have an AYCE special during the week for $14-------but you can't order leftover food (usually what i've found on AYCE menus. In the long run, I feel I get more food on the regular menu than the AYCE. That goes for most places that have these specials.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13388
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Thu, 06/26/03 7:17 PM
Gee Whiz Peppertree: I wish I had your problem. I restrict my diet because of health preferences. I cannot even come close to your ability to consume. Good luck and I hope you can continue.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

BigGlenn
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Fri, 06/27/03 12:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

Johnny Reb's here has catfish on the menu with sides etc. for $10. I ALWAYS have a lot of leftovers to take because they are huge portions. They have an AYCE special during the week for $

Just left Johnny Rebs a hour ago. Took my daughter there for her 16th Birthday, She wanted Catfish. I still do not like Johhny Rebs as I mentioned earlier in another thread. Tonights meal just proved my point. Again, Chris N Pitts is better by far.

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Tue, 07/1/03 1:30 AM
quote:
opportunity to see how the folks in Western Kentucky make things "Right". Stern's did a nice review of the Moonlite some time back.

So where is the Moonlite? Western Ky is kinda vague and since I'm brand new here...I don't have a clue. Thanks!

MikeS.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3580
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Tue, 07/1/03 4:54 PM
I just may need to try Cchris and Pitts this weekend-------what's their best thing to try?

BigGlenn
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Tue, 07/1/03 6:38 PM
quote:

I just may need to try Cchris and Pitts this weekend-------what's their best thing to try?

"Mr. Sails" The Pork Ribs are great. My wife likes the Beef Ribs or Prime Rib. I have heard that their Baseball Cut Steak is the best. I usually get either Chicken Fried Steak or the Combination BBQ Of Chicken and Ribs. Lunch is cheaper, Dinner you get a lot more. "Prepare to Wait if you get their Late!" for Dinner. If you take the kiddies they have the best prices for kids meals. They get a lot too! I hope that you enjoy it as much as my Family and I have over the last 15 years. P.S. This is not an all you care to eat place but it is worth going to for good BBQ.
Happy 4th Of July Yall!

kangolpimp
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Tue, 07/15/03 1:15 AM
Some all you can eat buffets have signs asking to please only take the amount of food you can eat. Others are a bit more subtle with signs that say please help us to not waste food. My favorite is when the sign says you will be charged for uneaten food. Has any restaurant ever enforced this policy? Has it happened to anyone here?

yumbo
  • Total Posts : 330
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Tue, 07/15/03 2:46 AM
Way back when I was a member of a collegiate swimming team, our bus rolled into an AYCE place after a meet. It was a grueling competition and we were starving. We had just served ourselves our 2nd helping when the manager decided to close down. Our coach confronted him and he replied: "That's all you can eat."

kangolpimp
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Tue, 07/15/03 2:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by yumbo
Our coach confronted him and he replied: "That's all you can eat."

If that's all we can eat, this is all we can pay! That's what I would have said as I left half the price of the buffet.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Wed, 07/16/03 9:45 AM
quote:

One interesting thing I've noticed about some of these "all you can eat" specials is that they really aren't worth it. For example------Johnny Reb's here has catfish on the menu with sides etc. for $10. I ALWAYS have a lot of leftovers to take because they are huge portions. They have an AYCE special during the week for $14-------but you can't order leftover food (usually what i've found on AYCE menus. In the long run, I feel I get more food on the regular menu than the AYCE. That goes for most places that have these specials.

$10 for catfish!!!!In Checotah Ok there are 3 different places i can get ayce catfish for 6.99----another reason i moved to Oklahoma!!!!

foodguy
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Wed, 07/16/03 10:50 AM
Maggiano's Little Italy (small chain, a few restaurants only in big cities)is the best all you can eat / family style. The sides, deserts pastas entre, its just too good.

[|)][|)][|)][|)]

pennypincher
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Wed, 07/16/03 11:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by MikeSh

quote:
opportunity to see how the folks in Western Kentucky make things "Right". Stern's did a nice review of the Moonlite some time back.

So where is the Moonlite? Western Ky is kinda vague and since I'm brand new here...I don't have a clue. Thanks!

MikeS.

pennypincher
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Wed, 07/16/03 11:24 AM
quote:

quote:

MikeS.

The Moonlite BBQ Inn is in Owensboro, KY, southeast of Evansville, IN.

http://www.moonlite.com/index.htm

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 3:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by algernon99

My favorite all-you-can-eat is when Tony Roma's does their annual (or is it semi-annual) Endless Slab promotion. All you can eat Tony Roma ribs is heaven on earth for me. And I can eat a fair amount, under the right conditions. Health concerns don't come into play because you order each new slab or half-slab and it comes by waiter from the kitchen.

Oh my goodness, I'm salivating all over the keyboard....

Rich
http://www.beanbible.com

I'm glad Rich mentioned the Tony Roma's promotion. I took note of their current TV advertisement and saw my chance when a rib-loving friend came through town last Friday. Over the years the two of us have enjoyed some good ribs--from Calhoun's in Knoxville to Fat Matt's in Atlanta--and she was game.

The Lexington, Kentucky store's endless slab promotion applies to all varieties of ribs and the price is $17.99. I was only interested in the baby back ribs and when the damage was done, the server said I was about one bone short of eating 3 slabs.

Our server could not have been more gracious or attentive in keeping us supplied with hot ribs. The restaurant serves reorders in half slab amounts, which makes sense. Incidentally, this special doesn't apply to the side dishes. On our visit, every plate of ribs were served just right - tender, flavorful and cooked to perfection.

It was fun to get my fill of ribs in a restaurant. There is not a lot of meat on baby backs which is why I was able to go through 3 slabs. I should mention that I love TR's milk based slaw; it always tastes fresh and is not sweet. Just good natural flavors. I should also mention I skipped the rolls and other side dish.

As rib chains go, I like Tony Roma's, and I particularly like their spicy, "original sauce" for ribs (which can be purchased on site and in supermarkets).

I discovered Tony Roma's in 1985 in Nashville. The store was located on Elliston, by the Vandy campus, and was wildly popular. At that time there were only 5 TR stores in the nation, all in rich cities like Palm Beach, Miami, Palm Springs, etc.

For me, Tony Roma's cannot compare with Dreamland (ribs cooked over hickory coals) or the better Memphis rib joints, or with ribs from a whole hog slow-roasted, half a day in East Carolina. But in the barbeque barrens of the Inner Bluegrass, these baby backs sated us just fine, until I can break away for the world-class fare.

The store manager told me this promotion is slated to continue through the end of the year. I would certainly do it again.

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 5:14 AM
Back in the days when I was managing restaurants with buffet lines, I would routinely, every hour or so, go through the line checking temps with a thermometer and alcohol wipes. I was always surprised when people commented that they had never seen that done before.

spadoman
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 8:28 AM
Last time I went to one of those places, the waitress came up to me and said,

"OK, that's all you can eat!"

hilldweller
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 9:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by spadoman

Last time I went to one of those places, the waitress came up to me and said,

"OK, that's all you can eat!"

Was that before, during, or after you were finished with your meal?

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6232
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 12:29 PM
Mr. Mayor, that food looks divine, but we find we cannot consume large quantities of food without feeling ill and uncomfortable. We had dinner out Fri. night, split an appetizer, split an entree and we were full. So we usually do not go to AYCE.

hermitt4d
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 12:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

I generally feel safe with a buffet if there is an attendant on duty who actually seems interested and fequently checks on items and stirs things.

At Steak Kountry in Houston, managers circulate throughout the serving stations wearing wireless headsets to keep in touch with the kitchen and keep the steam tables replenished. I've never stayed as long as 2 hours , but with the crowds they have it'd be hard to imagine anything sitting out that long.

I don't know how they allow people to eat as much as they do and still make a profit. Top price, on Sat-Sun, when there's someone there carving roast beef and ham to order, is $9 and change, including tax.

There's a limited selection of salads I think they do well; meat dishes are typically well-done, especially the 'steak' and fish, but I can live with that. Limited selection of veggies, but what they have they do well. Deserts are a waste of time as far as I'm concerned, but I prefer SK over Luby's, the famous cafeteria chain, Black-Eyed Pea and most local soul food restaurants I've tried. But only once every couple of months. I wouldn't go anywhere near that often except one of the three locations is just 10 blocks from my house and I pass it everyday that I hit the freeway.

I use this as a healthier alternative to fast food places - love having some selection of veggies other than FFs - and it's almost as fast as a fast food place. I've figured out what they do well and I stick to that .

Liketoeat
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 2:09 PM
Too much (at home, picnic, fishfry, potluck, in AYCE restaurant, wherever) though fortunately for some reason cannot now pig out nearly to the extent I did in years past, for the current smaller portions seem to be adding more inches to the waistline than did the former greater quantities.

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 6:49 PM
How much I can eat depends on the food. Le Caveau in Back Bay Boston, which is owned by the Peppertree Company that owns Le Marche and Movenpick in Boston, Toronto and Montreal, has a regular deal that's all the mussels you can eat for $9.99, and if you ask, they'll bring you a big bowl of frites and mayo to go with them for the proper Belgian experience. Turns out that I can eat three bowls, which works out to about six dozen mussels. I turned down a fourth bowl, but I did go upstairs for a crepe.

marberthenad
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 7:20 PM
AYCE places are great for those on Atkins. Choose all the low carb dishes and you are home free ......

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 7:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Liketoeat

Too much (at home, picnic, fishfry, potluck, in AYCE restaurant, wherever) though fortunately for some reason cannot now pig out nearly to the extent I did in years past, for the current smaller portions seem to be adding more inches to the waistline than did the former greater quantities.

Liketoeat, I believe the problem is that the new formulas they use for laundry detergent cause fabric shrinkage (particularly in the waistline) at a much higher rate than before. I noticed a similar problem right around the time they stopped adding phosphorous. Coincidence I think not!!

Also, I just noticed you're a Double Cheeseburger now! Congrats!!

Liketoeat
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 9:05 PM
Hello, Bushie, and big thanks, because I surely do like your answer to the reason for my ever tighter pants. That shrinking fabric explanation sure sits a lot better with me than does the answer I was coming up with of expanding waistline. I'm going to use it from now on. And thanks also for the double cheeseburger congrats.

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 9:34 PM
Lucky bishop: you went upstairs for a what?

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 10:55 PM
You heard me, innuendo boy.

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 11:08 PM
Hey, Liketoeat,

I think that double cheeseburger has more to do with the tight pants than the shrinking fabric!!!

Liketoeat
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Mon, 11/3/03 11:25 PM
Pwingsx, it should be obvious that a man of Bushie's knowledge and abilities is as correct in his analysis of washing and fabric matters as he is of food matters, plus his conclusion does so much more for my ego than does yours (or my earlier erroneous conclusion)!!

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Tue, 11/4/03 1:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

Our latest story for Epicurious.com is about All You Can Eat Restaurants http://eat.epicurious.com/restaurant/sterns/index.ssf?/restaurant/sterns/allyoucaneat.html. Please check it out, and we welcome you to add any we missed to the Roadfood.com database in the form of a review.

Jane and Michael included the Blue Willow Inn at Social Circle, Georgia in their top ten list of All-You-Can-Eat Restaurants. I'd love to hear what Roadfood readers have to say about this highly regarded establishment. The Blue Willow has been on my list of must-visits for a long time now.

Ralph Isbill
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Tue, 11/4/03 4:36 AM
There was a couple of mentions of "Johnie Rebs" Long Beach, CA. My son took me there some 10 to 12 years ago. Enjoyed the food, even threw some peanut hulls on the floor. Somewhere around here I have a recipe for Johnie Rebs Corn bread. It is good! If anyone is interestedI will look it up and post it.

Ralph Isbill
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Tue, 11/4/03 4:39 AM
Make that Johnny Rebs. It's late

Bushie
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Tue, 11/4/03 8:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

Jane and Michael included the Blue Willow Inn at Social Circle, Georgia in their top ten list of All-You-Can-Eat Restaurants. I'd love to hear what Roadfood readers have to say about this highly regarded establishment. The Blue Willow has been on my list of must-visits for a long time now.

I LOVE the Blue Willow Inn; I suggest you go ahead and make the trip! Besides the great food, it's an all-around neat experience. I've eaten there several times.

With the holiday season approaching, I'd recommend a trip in December. Some of the little towns around there have some good Christmas lights, and it's fun. (Then, you could drive back up through Nashville and visit the Opryland Hotel to catch their Christmas lights. I used to plan business trips to Nashville every December just for that. )

Anyway, consider this a vote FOR the Blue Willow Inn.

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Tue, 11/4/03 5:02 PM
Sorry, Liketoeat. It was just too good to pass up, and I have no self-control. No offense meant.

Liketoeat
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Tue, 11/4/03 8:42 PM
Hope you realize that no offense taken, Pwingsx. Nobody can make more fun of my current "round the middle" problem than I can, but I give you credit for doing a damn fine job there. Keep up the good work!

BigGlenn
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Tue, 11/4/03 8:48 PM
Buffets............Heaven and Hell all in one place! I can't keep away from them. It's not my Fault, it isn't, it isn't, it isn't!!!!!!

howard8
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Wed, 11/5/03 9:29 AM
Liketoeat:
Simple solution to shrinking pants. You simply lower them to below your stomach and waist. The lower you go the looser the pants. It really works!

spadoman
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Wed, 11/5/03 10:15 AM
I get Dunlap disease when I go to buffets.
My stomach DONE LAP over my belt!

booboobirdie
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Wed, 11/5/03 10:24 AM
There is a place in Rhode Island, in the backwoods off of exit 3 (I-95). Anyway, it's called The Nordic Lodge, and it offers "The Viking Buffet", open April through December (I think). I believe it's up to $53.00 per person this year, for AYCE lobster, shrimp, steak, chicken, deserts, pretty much anything you could wish for. It's absolute gluttony...you really need to be a big eater to get your money's worth (not a problem for me).

http://www.nordic-lodge.com/

Liketoeat
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Wed, 11/5/03 12:16 PM
howard8, thanks, but I'm aware of and practicing to some extent the solution you suggest. I was hoping that you or someone could come up with a better answer. Guess I know the best solutions - push back from the table plus engage in more exercise activities - but was after the "easy way out", which don't think really exists.

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Fri, 11/7/03 1:04 AM
quote:

Liketoeat, I believe the problem is that the new formulas they use for laundry detergent cause fabric shrinkage (particularly in the waistline) at a much higher rate than before. I noticed a similar problem right around the time they stopped adding phosphorous. Coincidence I think not!!

So how do you explain my wedding band getting too tight for my ring finger and I now have to wear it on my pinkie half the time???

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Fri, 11/7/03 7:06 AM
There was a time----very very long ago --when myself and four other guys--all in our 20's at the time--junped in the car in San Franciso on a road trip to Bloomington Ind--we had a wedding to go to--in any case--we drove,stopping only for gas and pit stops as far Little America in Wyoming and while filling the gas tank noticed that they had fried chicken--all you can eat--$2.99!! Now for a group of 60's guys with the munchies--that was heaven. We proceeded to to "eat more chicken than any man ever seen"--(thank you Doors)-they would set down a full platter on the table and take an empty back to refill. After about 40 mins the manager came out and asked if we would please leave now--we said we werent done yet--we went around and around till finally they offered us us bags of chicken just to get us out of there! We smiled--took the bags and drove non stop off to Indiana!

On another day my brother and i were headed to Point Judith RI to catch a ferry to Block Island when he brought the car to a screeching halt and pointed out the window to a sign and said LOOK AT THAT!!!--it said--"today only--all the lobster you can eat $14.99" We walked in the door--he's 6'7"/300lb--me5'11" 265lb---He looked at the hostess and said---"you folks are in trouble!" The lobster was great---and ---we missed the ferry!

Bushie
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Fri, 11/7/03 8:34 AM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

So how do you explain my wedding band getting too tight for my ring finger and I now have to wear it on my pinkie half the time???

Too many "finger foods"??

aimala66
  • Total Posts : 100
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Fri, 11/7/03 8:57 AM
i always feel like these places are a rip-off b/c they are usually pricey for the quality of food you are offered. for me, food is about quality, NOT quantity.

buffets smack of the michigan state cafeteria...it's been a decade and i'm still not over taht culinary nightmere. that was all you can eat, too......and just about every night i ended up with cereal or a bagle. how depressing.

and these nicer places that have "all you can eat" nights feel like a scam as well. why do i want to pay $17.95 for bad veal oscar and and bottomless bowls of soggy pasta when i can get something made to order and fresh for the same or less?

amy

Roy
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Thu, 11/20/03 5:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by booboobirdie

There is a place in Rhode Island, in the backwoods off of exit 3 (I-95). Anyway, it's called The Nordic Lodge, and it offers "The Viking Buffet", open April through December (I think). I believe it's up to $53.00 per person this year, for AYCE lobster, shrimp, steak, chicken, deserts, pretty much anything you could wish for. It's absolute gluttony...you really need to be a big eater to get your money's worth (not a problem for me).

http://www.nordic-lodge.com/

Guess what's back..... www.custys.com

marberthenad
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Fri, 12/5/03 9:03 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the original list published at Epicurious? I clicked on the link, but it looks like they have taken the list down.

Flagger Bob
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: How Much Can You Eat? - Fri, 11/30/12 12:45 PM
I like all you can eat.  Tho I no longer can stuff myself as before.  1st place I ever went to was Stockholm in Sommerville, NJ at about age7 or 8.  I'd finish a plate and waiter would take it away from me!  Did not like that, but kept getting another plate.  Nowadays I favor Hibachi Grill and Buffet (VA, MD), Jumbo Buffet in WV, Butcher Block in VA.  Have never been disappointed in either location.  Fortunately I do not go often, so a meal there precludes one or two at home next day.  Notice a lot of gray heads in these places taking advantage of the Senior rate.  Can't blame them.  Also, sadly, see a lot of very overweight folks in same.  Not great for them healthwise.  But we all make our own choices in life.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 63