How To Dry Age And Smoke A 15 Pound Brisket

Author
scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 684
2010/11/03 12:25:52 (permalink)

How To Dry Age And Smoke A 15 Pound Brisket

I've dry aged and smoked many a brisket but I always run out of patience around the 14 day mark and throw the beef on the smoker.

It always comes out good but I'm wondering what the benefits would be if I could coax another two weeks or so out of the dry aging process?

Experienced brisket agers and smokers please respond.

9 Replies Related Threads

edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2087
    Re:How To Dry Age And Smoke A 15 Pound Brisket 2010/11/03 14:15:01 (permalink)
    Question ??? After dry-aging, how much meat do you windup trimming off?
    How are you dry-aging?
    post edited by edwmax - 2010/11/03 14:21:33
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 684
    Re:How To Dry Age And Smoke A 15 Pound Brisket 2010/11/07 14:16:42 (permalink)
    Brisket is placed in bottom of 35 degree fridge on wire rack in larger pan, after two weeks only the most dessicated portion is trimmed off. I've cooked raw briskets bought the same day as smoking and they come out just fine but the aged ones seem to taste beefier.
    I'm researching my next brisket as I eat the current one out of the fridge. Found a good site here that breaks down the chemistry of aging:

http://foodobsessity.blogspot.com/
    edwmax
    Re:How To Dry Age And Smoke A 15 Pound Brisket 2010/11/07 16:15:25 (permalink)
    True "dry-aging" will result in a weight loss of about 25% to 40% of the meat from dessication & mold.   Usually 25% with good humidity control & very sanitary conditions.

I doubt you are achieving or can control the humidity at 80% to 85% in a household refrigerator.    Therefore, I believe you are simply concentrating the flavors by Draining of the beef with very little tenderizing occurring.  This can be done with steaks in a few hours and larger cuts in 5 to 7 days.  Without a special humidity controlled cooler with circulating air (fan), draining is about the best anyone can do in a residential refrigerator.

Next you state that you "smoke" the brisket.  The smoke will cover up any flavor enhancement achieved by dry-aging or draining.  The slow cooking & smoking will tenderize the beef.  I don't see there is any benefit in dry-aging beef or buying dry-aged beef if it is going to be smoked.    ... But if it works for you ... Great ...
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:How To Dry Age And Smoke A 15 Pound Brisket 2010/11/07 16:34:22 (permalink)
    They have small clip on fans that will help the drying process, do they also have the meat sit on a cloth/towel to draw out the moisture ???? I know they have to turn and put a clean cloth daily......Bill
    edwmax
    Re:How To Dry Age And Smoke A 15 Pound Brisket 2010/11/07 16:58:12 (permalink)
    From the above link there is an other link to the beefresearch.org and a summary of dry-aging studies http://www.beefresearch.org/CMDocs/BeefResearch/Dry%20Aging%20of%20Beef.pdf
    That report indicates little difference between dry-aging vs. wet-aging at 14 days with wet-aging retaining all it's weight.  The flavor of dry-aged beef becomes more pronounced vs wet-aged at 21 days.   .... So, IMHO, anything less than 21 days wet-aging has an advantage over dry-aging because of weight retention and in just a few hours some flavor concentration can occur with "Draining" of excess water.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:How To Dry Age And Smoke A 15 Pound Brisket 2010/11/07 16:59:38 (permalink)
    edwmax

True "dry-aging" will result in a weight loss of about 25% to 40% of the meat from dessication & mold.   Usually 25% with good humidity control & very sanitary conditions.

I doubt you are achieving or can control the humidity at 80% to 85% in a household refrigerator.    Therefore, I believe you are simply concentrating the flavors by Draining of the beef with very little tenderizing occurring.  This can be done with steaks in a few hours and larger cuts in 5 to 7 days.  Without a special humidity controlled cooler with circulating air (fan), draining is about the best anyone can do in a residential refrigerator.

Next you state that you "smoke" the brisket.  The smoke will cover up any flavor enhancement achieved by dry-aging or draining.  The slow cooking & smoking will tenderize the beef.  I don't see there is any benefit in dry-aging beef or buying dry-aged beef if it is going to be smoked.    ... But if it works for you ... Great ...

I couldn't agree more!

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10218
    Re:How To Dry Age And Smoke A 15 Pound Brisket 2010/11/07 17:22:46 (permalink)
    I see no benefit in dry aging Briskit. Now if it was Prime beefsteak, that's different. But hey, If it floats your boat, go sailing!
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 277
    Re:How To Dry Age And Smoke A 15 Pound Brisket 2010/11/07 20:19:45 (permalink)
    Foodbme

I see no benefit in dry aging Briskit. Now if it was Prime beefsteak, that's different. But hey, If it floats your boat, go sailing!

What is a "beefsteak", and why would it benefit from dry-aging yet a  brisket wouldn't?  And why wouldn't you see any benefit from dry-aging a brisket? 

Thanks.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:How To Dry Age And Smoke A 15 Pound Brisket 2010/11/10 14:04:35 (permalink)
    tommyeats

Foodbme

What is a "beefsteak", and why would it benefit from dry-aging yet a  brisket wouldn't?  And why wouldn't you see any benefit from dry-aging a brisket? 

Thanks.

There are ham steaks, pork steaks, lamb steaks, etc.
    If you properly smoke a full cut brisket, say 14 hours,  the fat and connective tissues will meld with the brisket in such a way as to make dry aging pointless.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1