The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 640
How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Tue, 02/1/11 12:22 PM (permalink)
Ingredients
1 10 lb Pork Shoulder
Salt, kosher or sea
Pepper, Black
Hickory wood, dry cured
Method
* Build a good sized fire in your smoker out of hickory wood. I like to use my Weber Kettle as it puts out world class smoked meat
* Let your fire go to embers
* Place your heavily salted and peppered Pork Shoulder on opposite side of smoker from fire
* Open bottom vent and top vent all the way as George cooks his meat at high temperature. He gets a big shoulder or butt off his smoker in about 3 hours so that should tell you how hot he's cooking
* This is not the typical low and slow style in fashion at many pits around the country. That's ok, as for this style barbecue, the shoulder ends up with a heavy, crispy crust of the much prized "outside slice" portion of pork
My visits to Archibalds are sorely limited by the fact I live in Central Texas and while Black's down in Lockhart can approach the greatness of Archibald's, honestly there is no finer barbecue to be had than in George's little 6 seater in Northport Alabama.

Cooking notes:

*Story behind the recipe
*Kentucky pork shoulder preparation vs Alabama pork shoulder preparation
*love for Archibald's Barbecue in Northport Alabama  here:

http://www.scrumptiousche...en-Pound-Pork-Shoulder

comment section includes low/slow method as well
<message edited by scrumptiouschef on Tue, 02/1/11 1:55 PM>

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
    Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Tue, 02/1/11 1:02 PM (permalink)
    I prefer low and slow...this is how I cook a shoulder in the oven (without the flaming wood of course). I attempt to get crispy 'cracklin' skin and serve it sliced. If I'm doing BBQ, its low and slow and pulled at the end and served with the sauce of choice (Dinosaur BBQ Sensuous Slathering Sauce for me).

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 640
      Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Tue, 08/6/13 12:55 PM (permalink)
      Just wrestled 2 ten pound pork shoulders off the smoker after an all nighter. Time for smoked pork po boys for lunch.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Tue, 08/6/13 1:08 PM (permalink)
        The trouble with smoking a 10 pound pork shoulder is getting it into that damn little rolling paper.

RIMSHOT

I'll be here all week!

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3559
          Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Tue, 08/6/13 4:08 PM (permalink)
          I've got a Traeger smoker. I'll do the rub like you say. What temp should I cook it at? In the past, I've used 225 degrees. what temp to do it the way you do it? any idea what internal temp to shoot for?
          Your recipe sounds great. Looking forward to trying it.
          Thanks!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Tue, 08/6/13 4:19 PM (permalink)
            The outcome of our recent Hog Hunt gave us 3 Hogs, 'Live weight' 275, 300, and 450 lbs respectively.  We got 4 Butts of roughly 10-12 lbs each and 2 whole shoulders of 20-22 lbs+ each. The Picnics from the 4 Butts went into the sausage grinder.

I hope to fire-up our new Home-Built Smoke-House within a week to Smoke our first Butt. (and some Ribs). I will do a photo record of that effort when it happens. The new SmokeHouse is built to resemble an old OutHouse, but has my old Brinkman Smoker for an attached, but outside fire/heat souce. The Smoker measures 4' x 4' x 8', sort of a cross between an OutHouse and a Large Telephone Booth. We'll see how it performs shortly.
                Luckily I have a lifetime supply of Hickory, Persimmon, and Fruitwood to keep the Smoker going for many years...if I don't burn it down with a careless move !!

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Tue, 08/6/13 6:51 PM (permalink)
              Al - That sounds like a neat idea maybe you can post a pix of the outhouse smoking?

Your hunt sounds very productive too bad your freezer arrived in time Groucho and I were hoping it wouldnt

Ed and Al - You might want to inject your butts or shoulders with some apple juice, this will let it stay nice and moist throughout the smoke.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Wed, 08/7/13 2:19 PM (permalink)
                OK  Here is the Smokehouse ready for it's first job (this coming weekend.)

A Homebuilt Smokehouse--
                We we are about ready to test the new Smokehouse we have built in our back yard. It is about 5' x 5' x 8' tall, and uses an older Brinkman side-cooker for a fire/smoke sourse. We will cover the floor with a sheet of aluminum to prevent and possibility of falling ash or ember that might get by the filters in the carry-tube.

The basic shelves are in, but we will modify the hanging racks as we test various methods for future use.

Meantime today we have our little electric smoker doing a rack of ribs for tonight.

Here is the new smokehouse, minus it's final layer of White Oak Siding, to give it that "Old OUTHOUSE" appearance !

8/7/2013 43K    

I will add some photos when I get the Thermometers (2) installed in the door, and get it loaded with our first Pork Shoulder in the New Smokehouse.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1056
                  Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Wed, 08/7/13 2:46 PM (permalink)
                  It sounds like cheating but a friend of mine will cook the shoulder on the smoker for two-three hours then wrap it and finish it off in the oven. I have not done this and was wondering if you had? I had some of his and it was not bad at all. The smoke flavor was there and he contends that after the first few hours any meat won't absorb much more smoke any way.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1056
                    Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Wed, 08/7/13 2:46 PM (permalink)
                    It sounds like cheating but a friend of mine will cook the shoulder on the smoker for two-three hours then wrap it and finish it off in the oven. I have not done this and was wondering if you had? I had some of his and it was not bad at all. The smoke flavor was there and he contends that after the first few hours any meat won't absorb much more smoke any way.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Wed, 08/7/13 4:58 PM (permalink)
                      Brisketboy,
                      Funny you should mention that technique. At this moment we are finishing a Large Rack of Pork Ribs that got 4 hours in our electric Smoker at 205 degrees with a dry rub and some brown sugar rubbed on both sides.  Now they get an hour or so tightly wrapped in foil, after being brushed with a light coating of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, sealing them in encourages moistness in the finished meat. (Oven set at 350 degrees)  Watch for a photo here shortly.
                      AL

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6223
                        Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Wed, 08/7/13 5:07 PM (permalink)
                        al
                        You're right, it does look like an outhouse from the outside, but the inside looks like a sauna!  A smoky pig sauna at that!  I smell a lot of smoky good eats in your future. 

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Wed, 08/7/13 8:12 PM (permalink)
                          OK Here is the first rack of ribs from our recent Hog Hunt.  4 hours in the electric smoker then foil covered for about an hour in our oven at 350. I should have put them on racks to keep them out of the drippings in the oven, but forgot...so paper towels were used to mop them off a bit.

<message edited by mayor al on Thu, 08/8/13 11:38 AM>

EdSails

Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Wed, 08/7/13 8:28 PM (permalink)
                            Al, they look awesome!

Sundancer7

Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Wed, 08/7/13 11:22 PM (permalink)
                              Al, how was the taste,  were they overdone?

Paul E. Smith
                              Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Thu, 08/8/13 5:55 AM (permalink)
                                They were 'Done', but not 'Overdone', Janet likes a Mesquite rub we get at Costco, with some Brown Sugar added to tone down the spicy peppers.  Then we brush on a small amount of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce for the oven treatment near the end.  Tasted great.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Thu, 08/8/13 6:21 PM (permalink)
                                  I headed to Al's house for leftovers (doubt that there were any)

Al I love your smoker, I think it will do wonderful.

Brisketboy - Meats do absorb most of their smoke in the first few hours, and many places smoke then roast/bake to finish.  A lot of the time if you continue to smoke or add more wood to smoke you get a very acrid product (as Alton Brown says "Not Good Eats") also you don't want to smoke over the pretty white smoke that a fire first puts out, it is better to smoke over the clear smoke after the initial burn off, the "smoke" you see from a BBQ place is actually the smoke from the fat burning, the wood smoke is clear.

White smoke is full of carcinogens, clear smoke has the impurities burnt out of it, but still has the wnoderful smokiness to it.

EdSails

Re:How To Smoke A Ten Pound Pork Shoulder Thu, 08/8/13 7:15 PM (permalink)
                                    CajunKing is right. Most pit masters follow a 3-2-1 cooking plan. 3 hours smoked, foil with some apple juice and honey for 2 hours back on the smoker, unwrap and grill (or just cut the smoke down) for the last hour.
                                    <message edited by EdSails on Thu, 08/8/13 7:16 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com