How about Churches fried chicken?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
cy_dugas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/06/28 15:06:33 (permalink)
Unfortunately, I recently ate at Church's.

We still have a few here in southern Louisiana.

Not nearly what I remembered.  They served large hot pieces of chicken, lightly seasoned, and fresh when I was a kid.  I also like the pickled jalapenos and the thick fries.  Now you get a couple of pieces of cornish hen, dried out, with cold fries.  The peppers are still pretty good, though.

cy
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/06/28 16:56:32 (permalink)
MandalayVA

There's a Church's near my office, but it's in a VERY scary part of town and doesn't have a drive through, so unless I take an armed guard with me I'll just have to live in ignorance.

Heh, most of the  Churchs in the Richmond area  are in , well, marginal neighborhoods.  I wouldn't be afraid to go, but then again I AM armed lol.  But I would not go with my kids, that is for sure. 

I haven't had it in years, it was not that different than popeyes except they didn't have spicy.

Since it is a lot closer to go to Lee's Famous I go there instead if I have a hankering (or go west out to Charlottesville for Wayside)
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/06/28 23:55:14 (permalink)
About 5 years ago here in NYC, there were a lot of White Castles that also sold Church's Chicken. They just never made an impression on me. I just checked their directory, and they now only list one in NYC (in the tourist hotel section of Manhattan.) The next nearest one is in Philadelphia. I would like to confirm the accuracy of their store locator by veryifying local White Castles dropped Church's Chicken. I tried it once and I can't remember anything about it.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1074
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/06/29 14:07:26 (permalink)
Well around here , in New Braufels  and Seguin there is a Chicken Express out of Dallas, and a Bush's Fried Chicken in Converse,one on FM78 going towards San Antonio, and another on Topperwein Road and Kitty Hawk across from the Block Buster. Haven't tried either one yet, and there still is Church's around here.
harleytexas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/06/29 20:34:03 (permalink)
Every Church's I have been to in this area, I've had poor service. Won't ever go back.
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/06/29 21:33:53 (permalink)
the health dept. fined the one here for roaches.
ate there once, not bad. the roachs probably added more flavor.
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/06/29 23:36:57 (permalink)
My office when I first moved to town was next to whats probaly the last surviving Churches in the Dayton Metro Area.  The food used to be quite good.  I do remember the "batter girl" that was always manning the fryer(the line was always to the door back in 87)  She was always covered head to foot with flour and and batter!  I took my wife ther the last time maybe 3 years ago and the place was filthy.  There were stacks of paper products on the floors behind the counter and general disarray!  it smelled so bad we actually left!
There was a good one in Kettering for awhile.  it was one of the combo joints.  This was the White Castle/Churche that used to be around.  The last trip there the prices had just gone up and the pieces were so tiny it was a shame.  Smaller than KFC tried years ago.  ACtually would have been a tie for a Agme hen size.  The worst was both meals had a wing.  They both had the full pin feathers sticking out of the flapper!  14 bux for 2 2piece meals with only fries, roll and 2 drinks.  It was so sad that I brough them back un touched and asked for a refund.  my wife wouldnt touch it with the big feather sticking out.  the counter guy got really nasty.  I even offered to pay in full for the drinks and fries just returning the chicken if that was the best he would do.  He got nasty and almost calle te cops when i demanded a supervisor.  When one finally came, she said she couldnt help.  Even tho she was the on duty manager she was a White Castle employee and didnt have access to the hurches register except to Z it out at shift change!
 The last Churches I know of are the one in Springfield which is boarded up and accross from the Metro Housing in the hood, that one was burned out years ago and just sits there an eyesore and saaaafety hazzard!
Good bye churches of Yore!
Now I id love Jim Dandy's.  my first was in Biloxi Mi back in 70 than i lave accross the street from one in denevr in the Mid 70s.  They had the first "spicy" chicken i ever tasted and boy did I love it!
All we have locally is our Dear Col!  Its a good 20 mi to a Popeyes and all the Lees have closed up near me!
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/06/29 23:43:04 (permalink)
Britt,
You do tell a wonderful story. Even if it not about a pleasant subject.
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/06/30 00:21:14 (permalink)
Sorry to be a downer.  there is nothing i love more than a great fried chicken-Spicy Breast for me please!  Now my only choices seem to be the dear old bearded guy and what they offer at the delis in my grocers.
i wwill say some of the very best chicken i have ever had the pleasure of was at ThriftWay stores in Cincinnati.  They were part of the Wynn-Dixie family.  it was so moist and juciy it took a napking in each hand!
I used to really enjoy Broasted chicke but I must have had a change in taste as it always seems to be dry anymore to me.
I want trying to make the poor batter gril seem like a health hazzard.  it was just incredible to see how she just dove right in and got the job done.  I will always comment on a rude or uncaring food servic worker or manager.  The bottom line is satisfaction.  We pay a good dollar for or food these days and deserve that best they are able to provide with what they have to offer.
pamelakrest
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 362
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/07/02 08:08:38 (permalink)
If you get Church's chicken soon as it's out of the fryer, it's very good actually.
I have a weird thing I do when I want Church's chicken FRESH  hahah I wait till I know they are busy, I constantly let customers in front of me knowing they will get all of the old chicken, soon as I see the fresh chicken coming up, I put myself back in  hahahahahah ppls look at me weird but who cares...I have blazing hot chicken going home to munch on
Pam
badbyron722
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/07/04 07:53:01 (permalink)
Churches always seems so greasy to me.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1074
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/07/08 10:43:26 (permalink)
Still got Church's Chicken around San Antonio area for sure. I don't know about the Church's Chicken in your areas, but I saw an ad on TV  for some new platter deal they have. They have it looks like a battered boneless chicken breast which you can get with cream gravy or some kind of nacho cheese sauce, and all the trimmings and I think a drink.I'll have to check out their website. Best fried chicken I ever ate (commercial that is) was at Youngblood's Chicken down on Broadway near the Witte Museum back in the 1960s when I was a kid.

andyh40
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/07/08 11:18:30 (permalink)
I use to live directly across the street from the first Church's Chicken in Springfield Ohio on South Limestone St. At that time, it was better than KFC or Famous Recipe. The pieces were huge, and it was always fresh. You could watch the person prepping it in the window. They were always covered in flour. That was in the early 70's, and the place closed down in the 80's.

The last time I ate at a White Castle/Church's I was really disappointed. The chicken pieces were smaller, and had a completely different batter taste. Nothing ever stays the same...Sigh!
Rando
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/10/29 17:43:52 (permalink)
  I just went to a Churches for the first time.... it is not bad.  The spicy is hotter than Popeyes, and I like that!  seems to have more flavor. 

That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 421
Re:How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/12/06 08:23:42 (permalink)
John A

I like it, I admit I have probably never met a fried chicken I did not like, just some more than others.

John

When I lived closer to DC many, many years ago (like 15 or more) there was a Churches on Georgia Ave (very busy main strip that runs through NW DC) I really liked the way the chicken tasted and loved the rolls (they were not biscuits) I would drive 3o minutes one way at night when ever the urge hit me. I kid you not it seemed like you got a million pieaces of chicken for like $7 bucks. Everyone I know in Maryland would make the same run to DC for Churche's. I will never understand why they closed and there are no more around here. Ever time I went there the place was very busy.

As for the late night runs there, it didn't hurt that they had strip clubs a few minutes down the road. Man I use to love those Penthouse club memories.. (those of you from DC know what I am talking about)!! :-)
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8084
Re:How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/12/06 14:42:39 (permalink)
I was driving through Inglewood, CA last Thursday and there it was.... Church's.

I had to try it so I did a little car maneuvering without getting a ticket.

I haven't seen a Church's in many years.

My first comment to the girl behind the one inch thick protective glass wall:

You don't have clams!  That's what I used to have at Church's.

Anyway, I ordered 2 three piece meals, one dark and one white.  The dark was for me.

First bite I said that the coating needed salt.  I was met with a "NO! from the white eater.

Then I got in to the meat.  

All of the chicken that I bought had been over-brined. The meat of the chicken was exceptionally salty.

Pollo Campero is still number one!

andyh40
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
Re:How about Churches fried chicken? 2009/12/07 08:56:20 (permalink)
I just ate at a Church's while in Nashville yesterday. I got the spicy chicken with a wing and a leg. The wing was the biggest I had ever scene, with loads of white meat...the leg was also large and both were very tasty. On the other hand...the mashed potatoes had a thimble-full of gravy on them, and their famous honey-biscuits, while very good, were just a little larger than a fifty-cent piece.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1