How about some creativity?

Author
St. Louis Browns fan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
2003/10/24 21:20:54 (permalink)

How about some creativity?

Ice cream makers could be much more creative when it comes to variety and flavors. It seems that most of the "choices" are some variation of vanilla or chocolate mixed with chocolate pieces, ribbons, cookies or other chocolate stuff.

Don't get me wrong - I like chocolate, but there are lots of other great flavors. How about some more banana, pumpkin, peach, raspberry, pistachio or coconut?

23 Replies Related Threads

jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/10/24 21:55:43 (permalink)
    One of my favorite overlooked ice cream flavors is lemon. From what I can tell it is more common in other parts of the country, but here in New England it is hard to find. None of the supermarkets around where I live carry a lemon ice cream, and even most of the ice cream stands and shops don't have it. There are exceptions. Brickley's Ice Cream, in Narragansett, RI, serves what is to me the epitome of lemon ice cream. Uncolored, gorgeously creamy, the tart/sweet balance is perfect, with the citrus lemon flavor shining through. Extraordinary.

In Cape Cod last month I had the opportunity to try a soft serve lemon ice cream (the store we were at had 24 flavors of soft serve!). I wimped out - it had been so long since I had eaten a simple vanilla soft serve with chocolate jimmies that I had to have one. Maybe next time.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/10/26 09:10:09 (permalink)
    There was a place in New Orleans that was located in the Warehouse District in New Orleans. It was only there a couple of years in the mid eighties right after the World's Fair (when the warehouse district was still full of warehouses and bums instead of the current situation where it is full of boutique hotels and would be hoi polloi).

The place was called Esther's and was run by a woman from Natchez who was a CIA grad and opened this upscale place on the cheap. She made homemade ice cream for desserts and had different ones all the time. It was my favorite place to eat for a while, just for the dessert, if nothing else.

She regularly served apple ice cream. This stuff was real ice cream (not gelato, or sherbert, or ice,or sorbet, or any of that other namby pamby stuff) and was served over a homemade sugar cookie that had been formed into a bowl. The ice cream had a very pronounced apple flavor with a very very very very light cinnamon touch. It was unbelievably good. I have tried to make it for years with varying success, but have never quite gotten it. I have gone so far as to find both the sous chef and one of the pantry guys hoping for the recipe, but no luck. Apparently she made them herself and after the rest. closed she packed up and left town, leaving only one guy dying for the recipe to this stunning dish.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/10/28 12:22:46 (permalink)
    My grandmother used to come visit us every couple of years and my dad would always make a point of making sure we had her favorite ice cream---Ginger---man it was good! My dad said that when he was young he could get it anywhere in New England but over the years its popularity waned. It seems to me that it would once again be popular---if you could get it--but i have made it myself and let me tell you---apple pie ala mode with ginger ice cream is a real treat!
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/10/28 12:44:07 (permalink)
    A few years ago around this time, The Marble Slab Creamery in one of our malls had pumpkin ice cream. It was the best ice cream I have ever had!

A scoop of that in a dark chocolate dipped cone made the holiday shopping trips bearable.

They made it again the next year, but have not since. I need to ask them why, it was delicious.

baybey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/10/28 12:53:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by St. Louis Browns fan

Ice cream makers could be much more creative when it comes to variety and flavors. It seems that most of the "choices" are some variation of vanilla or chocolate mixed with chocolate pieces, ribbons, cookies or other chocolate stuff.

Don't get me wrong - I like chocolate, but there are lots of other great flavors. How about some more banana, pumpkin, peach, raspberry, pistachio or coconut?

SLB fan:

Hear hear! You are absolutely right. To name names, Ben and Jerry's is particularly guilty of this . It is as if they have turned their back on fruit flavored ice cream. Their popularity escapes me; most all their "flavors" are combinations of chunks of this or that, all having the same flavor -sweet.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/10/28 13:15:50 (permalink)
    While I don't think that vanilla and chocolate ice creams can be beat, I do recall years ago a locally available commercial orange-pineapple ice cream (orange colored with little pieces of pineapple in it) which was extremly good. Was ice cream; not sherbet. While this flavor combination may today be available from some sources, I've not thought of it and have not seen it in years. I also like lemon ice cream, but as jgleduc mentions, it's hard to find in these parts, too. PS - typo corr.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/10/28 16:58:24 (permalink)
    Blue Bell is always coming up with new add-ins. One of my long time favorites has been Pecan Pralines and Cream ummmmmmmmmmm! That is so good.

Another has been Banana Split, which has all the ingredients for a banana split except whipped cream mixed in with the ice cream.

New this year (so far as I know) have been Coconut-Almond-Fudge, which really has large semi-sweet chocolate chips, not fudge in it, along with shredded coconut and chunks of toasted almonds, and Tres Leches Cake with Strawberries, both muy delicioso.

Okay, two of those have chocolate in 'em. Sorry.

A long time best seller has been their Peaches and Cream; I've never really cared for it and there's none this year, I understand, since the Hill Country peach crop was virtually nil because of bad weather.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/10/28 17:43:10 (permalink)
    Hermitt - have you ever tried the Fruit Special they make in the summer? It is my favorite.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/10/28 18:41:24 (permalink)
    Chinatown Ice Cream Factory is always one of my stops when I visit NYC. Chinese restaurants typically don't give desserts a second thought, so I make a beeline for this place to satisfy my sweet tooth. Check out the list of flavors.

http://www.chinatownicecreamfactory.com/
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/11/03 01:52:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Hermitt - have you ever tried the Fruit Special they make in the summer? It is my favorite.

No I haven't. I saw it tonight as I shopped at Kroger, where they had BB 2/$6 this week . I was picking up a half gallon of Pecan Pralines 'n Cream. Managed to restrain myself to the extent of getting only one half gallon carton.

What's in the Fruit Special this year
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/11/15 22:46:20 (permalink)
    We make our own and the latest flavours are:

Roasted Pineapple and Rum
    Drambuie and Maple
    Passionfruit
    Cranberry
    Quince
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/11/16 04:47:36 (permalink)
    Baskin Robbins has seasonal flavors and my favorite just returned: Pumpkin pie! Another brand does Candy cane, another fave.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/11/16 19:11:09 (permalink)
    Personally, one of my seasonal favorites is Egg Nogg. It is one of the easiest ice creams to make. Buy the best quality egg nogg you can find & pour it in the ice cream maker. You might want to add a little rum or more nutmeg (to your tast) but even with out it, you get a good product. Think about it, what is egg nogg but a good ice cream custard base??
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15245
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/11/16 20:27:18 (permalink)
    Of the Baskin Robins seasonal flavors, PINK GRAPEFRUIT ICE was always one of my favorites. My top "regular' flavors there were Jamocha Almond Fudge and Pralines and Cream !!
    I like the 'ButterCrunchy" or Toffee/HeathBar flavors of some of the Denali brands.
    I do enjoy a good Strawberry cream when it comes to the fruit flavors.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/11/16 20:53:12 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    How refreshing to read this thread! Although I am trying to lose weight (and even thinking about ice cream doesn't help!), I was delighted to run across flavors I'd never heard of. I can only imagine ginger ice cream as a float made with a bottle of Blenheim Ginger Ale from South Carolina. Now that's almost as good as Ben & Jerry's Coffee Coffee as a float with ice-cold espresso as the adjunct... and coffee milk added (we can't get that in Georgia, so a person would have to make their own).
    The University Of Georgia Creamery used to make a run of pistachio every year before Christmas break. I haven't been to their sales room in thirty years, but it's still where it used to be when I was a kid. I'll have to ask if they're going to run any pistachio this year. It was done in a Dairy Science Department class, by the way.
    Speaking of pistachio and of Ben & Jerry's, that's another flavor that they do well. I see it every so often. Trouble is, they have to appeal to younger tastes to keep going, apparently.
    The ice cream flavor I would love to try is semi-sweet (or bitter) chocolate with coffee and peanut butter (not sweetened). Alas, my purchase of a home ice cream maker will have to wait until I manage to curb my appetite for the likes of livermush breakfasts and the homemade ales at Copper Creek Brewing Company, neither of which would produce a very good ice cream....
    Dishfully Wishfully, Ort. Carlton in Slightly Nutty Athens, Georgia.
    Stewdude
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/11/24 22:29:23 (permalink)
    For pumpkin ice cream, no one beat Dr. Mike's in Bethel, Ct. (that is equally true about many flavors). The pumpkin was rich, with a strong pumpkin pie flavor, and so so dense. It has been a couple of years but this was my traditional weekend to drive to Dr. Mikes to bring back a few hand packs of the pumpkin ice cream for a Thanksgiving treat.

On the unique front, Peanut Butter & Co., a Greenwich Village shop, makes a mean milk shake...two of their best..the fluffernutter shake and the Mary Jane shake. Both taste just like those favorite treats. Put them in ice cream form and wow...those are great.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: How about some creativity? 2003/11/25 09:38:52 (permalink)
    Just Sunday, my 16 year-old son came up with a great idea that worked. We had some dribbles of store-brand vanilla ice cream, and he mixed into it a few spoonfuls of Goober Grape peanut butter and jelly. It was really very good! Now he's inspired to create his own flavors with plain vanilla as a base.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: How about some creativity? 2004/04/22 08:49:36 (permalink)
    I like ice cream with nuts in it. Our local Ice Cream Parlor which has been here for 50 + years serves a black walnut ice cream which is wonderful and they also have a buter pecan that is full of pecans. My mother makes a homemade banana toasted almond ice cream that is out of this world.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: How about some creativity? 2004/04/22 09:05:01 (permalink)
    Guida's in middletown, CT carries a yummy blueberry cheesecake ice cream. I usually have them make my milkshakes with it - sooo good.

Marcus dairy in Danbury makes a really good coconut almond fudge. It's a coconut ice cream base with almonds and a thin fudge ribbon. Good Stuff.
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: How about some creativity? 2004/04/22 12:29:36 (permalink)
    I think I've mentioned this on a previous thread, but I'm a big fan of Green Tea ice cream. It's usually served in Japanese restaurants.

If you haven't tried it, please do!

-Yumbo
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: How about some creativity? 2004/04/22 13:34:54 (permalink)
    I found cinnamon ice cream at some boutique-ish place in Gulf Shores, AL, in '85 and have been lusting for more ever since. And while the recipe wasn't given above, I'll bet you could make a mean ginger ice cream using minced crystallized ginger.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3300
    RE: How about some creativity? 2004/04/22 15:12:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yumbo

I think I've mentioned this on a previous thread, but I'm a big fan of Green Tea ice cream. It's usually served in Japanese restaurants.

If you haven't tried it, please do!

-Yumbo

Take a short road trip to Trader Joe's on Waukegan Road in Deefield, IL for mochi ice cream balls available in four flavors: chocolate, vanilla, green tea, and mango. Don't forget your to take your Igloo with some dry ice.
    Emerald
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: How about some creativity? 2004/04/30 23:19:00 (permalink)
    Has anyone seen Creme Brulee ice cream or gelato....sometimes called burnt carmel? I once tried it in a suburb of Chicago and it's my all time favorite....even better than the soursop (or guanabana) ice cream I tried long ago at the Expo in Montreal.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1