How about waffle house ?

Page: << < ..111213 > Showing page 11 of 13
Author
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/06 19:06:09 (permalink)
I sit here thinking of crisp crisp hash browns...no toppings...no peppers, onions, cheese...basically just potaotes and grease frying on the griddle...

Heinz 57 and Tabasco...AHHHHHHHH
BBQ Barney
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 161
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/06 19:35:05 (permalink)
OK, a northerner in WF Land--just passed through on a return from Louisville to Des Moines, IA and had my WF fix of eggs over easy, hash browns with onions, crisp bacon, raisen toast and grits with tabasco---still great stuff that is not available in yankee country. I've ordered this meal about twice per year on trips, for about twenty-five years and will admit that, probably, two times I had less than good food!
V960
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/07 08:23:47 (permalink)
WH is not perfect. The smoking situation can get so bad I will walk into a fog at waist level and simply ask for a coffee to go.

Some of the cooks are great and some are idiots...I don't think a BSME is required for the job. I do feeel that although WH is surely a chain it is also run on the local level as a roadfood kind of place. Big city WH's tend to be crap but small town ones tend to be much much better. Just my opinion.
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/07 10:56:07 (permalink)
Of the 2 WH's closest to home, the one down the beach has the better veiws, the other being just off I95. Of course at 3am the veiws both places are basically empty roads. Food wise the service and taste are basically indistinguisable
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/07 17:19:41 (permalink)
It appears that the closest Waffle House to me is 117 miles west, in Clarks Summit, Pa. Does anyone have any info on this Waffle House in particular? Is it worth the trip? Any details would be appreciated. Thanks
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/07 18:26:13 (permalink)
This is all beginning to remind of some old "Deadhead" friends of mine that spend hour after hour comparing their 127 taped versions of different live performances of "Truckin!".
ScreenBear
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/08 22:52:27 (permalink)
It appears that the closest Waffle House to me is 117 miles west, in Clarks Summit, Pa. Does anyone have any info on this Waffle House in particular? Is it worth the trip? Any details would be appreciated. Thanks
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/09 10:46:09 (permalink)
117 miles would be a nice afternoon/evening drive. The Savannah Ga Waffle House is about a 2 hr drive north or around 140 miles of interstate driving and is a nondestination destination when I just feel like getting out and driving. My other favorite nondestination destination is the Waffle House in Daytona Fl about a 100 mile interstate drive south
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/11 15:38:00 (permalink)
NO WAFFLE HOUSE IS WORTH A 2 HOUR DRIVE!!!

oops. was I yelling?

If you want to take a drive for fun and you end up stopping at a WH, well, that's one thing.
But to drive 2 hours to and 2 hours fro, just to go the WH? Save yourself the gas and time, it's not worth the trip.

V960
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/11 18:41:34 (permalink)
Scorereader and I agree on this one. I eat at WH at least twice a week on average and don't go to some because I would have to cross traffic when I exit. I like them but here in the south we take them for granted.

Excuse me (when leaving a WH) but where is the next WH? Well, Darling its at the next exit!

I might go down the interstate an extra five miles, if I was headed in that direction, but go out of my way?...sorry just too many WH's down here.

I like them, maybe love them...but 120 miles each way?...no way!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18450
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/11 19:09:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

oops. was I yelling?

If you want to take a drive for fun and you end up stopping at a WH, well, that's one thing.
But to drive 2 hours to and 2 hours fro, just to go the WH? Save yourself the gas and time, it's not worth the trip.

So, what you're saying is that my driving from Columbus, Ohio to Parkersburg, West Virginia for lunch at a hamburger place was not clever? I guess you're saying the same thing about my drive from Columbus to Port Clinton Ohio for a perch sandwich. And my lunch drive to Charleston for a fried bologna sandwich lunch wasn't a real good idea, either. And, although it's closed now, driving to Cincinnati for dinner at Maisonette was pretty stupid.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/11 19:18:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

oops. was I yelling?

So, what you're saying is that my driving from Columbus, Ohio to Parkersburg, West Virginia for lunch at a hamburger place was not clever? I guess you're saying the same thing about my drive from Columbus to Port Clinton Ohio for a perch sandwich. And my lunch drive to Charleston for a fried bologna sandwich lunch wasn't a real good idea, either. And, although it's closed now, driving to Cincinnati for dinner at Maisonette was pretty stupid.

Sheesh...........after hearing people on this board go on and on about Waffle House, it is going to be my next destination spot for sure. I am not going to worry that the nearest one is over one hour away. I am going to do as Ruth Richel does. I am going to wear a wig and some weird glasses.........I do not want anyone to know that it is Chezkatie..............that way, I will really be able to see what a WH is all about!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/11 19:21:40 (permalink)
ELEVEN pages of WH trivia

Why, I'd just as soon go toCRACKER BARREL.

Bet neither one of them could serve this:

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/11 19:25:55 (permalink)
It's OK chezkatie, everyone will recognize those jalapeno earrings and the bunny slippers.
V960
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/11 19:43:20 (permalink)
I love the place but wouldn't too far out of my way because in NC, SC and TN you can see the next WH from the one you just left.

Had B'fast there this am in Salisbury, NC and lunch at the City Club in Winston. Not roadfood but for sure good eats. Clouds were at window level (19th flr) and life was good. Sweet and sour pork tips (and that is what part of the pig?) were outstanding. Nice to have a college roomie who did well.
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/11 20:01:03 (permalink)
Mr.D-L and I are heading to a Waffle House an hour away tomorrow. It helps that it's also a scenic drive to get there, but I'm not sure we'd care if it wasn't scenic. We found the WH a few months ago, and hadn't been to one since leaving Atlanta 23 years ago. We're looking forward to it!
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/11 21:09:11 (permalink)
I would just as soon have this go on to a 40 page forum..........anything to beat that darn "long gone chains" forum!
ScreenBear
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/11 23:22:19 (permalink)
My question is answered…almost. Now, if someone would only relate whether or not the Clarks Summit, Pa., Waffle House is a good example of the species.

You see, we are Waffle House challenged in N.J. That is, we don't have one. Mere diner food, some say? Well, that’s all the more reason to keep an eye on the prize. For believe it or not, the state that perhaps has the most diners per square inch is diner-less of late.

Yes, the generation that made our diners fun and full of character is gone. Only a handful of true standouts like the Tops Diner in East Newark still exist. The stainless steel mediocrities that now call themselves diners are but ghosts of their ancestors…mostly all just a repetitious blur in the overgrown landscape, serving soulless cookie cutter eggs and Veal a la Pretentious to diners who apparently won’t vote with their wheels.

Therefore, I must travel if I am to preserve the American Roadfood ideal by eating at a Waffle House. Whether or not to invest the 117 miles each way is apparently relative from what I gather here.

Now, if all the responses were diatribes about how Waffle House is not a worthy stop under any circumstances, I'd rein-in the whole idea. But, such is not the case. One million Roadfooders can't be wrong. My esteemed colleagues here are, for the most part, apparently fond of the place. It's just that they're used to it.

What it all boils down to then, are the collateral facts, tangible and otherwise. Foliage is sure to decorate the pathways and help set the mood. In the crisp air we’ll sense that now is a time for important missions to be undertaken…before winter sets in. The Chevy in the garage champs at the gearshift. And so with the right pal to navigate and cheer on the enterprise, hark…destiny, the open road and the Waffle House beckon.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/12 10:17:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

oops. was I yelling?

No Michael, I don't believe I said any of those things.
What I did say, is that the Waffle House is not worth a 2 hour drive in each direction.

Stupid is as stupid does Mr. Hoffman
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/12 10:21:50 (permalink)
Yes, you keep proving that.
V960
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/12 11:05:32 (permalink)
Gentlemen, Gentlemen...over WH?

Let's be nice and play well w/ others.

I think the world of the Waffle House system. Simple diner food w/ great condiments on the table. I will grant I'm in a rut...two eggs over medium, crisp hashbrowns, dry whole wheat, yes, I want the grits and a glass of water.

Here in NC and SC we take them for granted...they're everywhere, literally at every other interstate exit. I have generally found that the smaller the city the better the WH. And the converse also holds...the larger the city the worse the WH. Just my personal opinion.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/12 11:05:54 (permalink)
I would be very happy if a Waffle House were a two hour drive from Portland.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/12 11:52:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

Scorereader and I agree on this one.

" />

we found a common ground!

I would actually suggest to Screenbear, that if you have a road trip heading down South and you're craving WH, to just hit one off an exit. As pointed out, there's one at just about every exit off the highways.

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/12 12:01:02 (permalink)
Screenbear - There's a Waffle House in Allentown.
That's only 70-75 miles from Westfield.
Just head West on I-78.

1783 Airport Road
Allentown, PA
V960
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/12 13:38:24 (permalink)
Humans are interesting beings. Can't have it...Got to have it.

I remember bringing back Coors beer in my suitcase after a skiing trip to Colorado in th early seventies, couldn't get it on the east coast so it had to be the best, right?

Buying the last case of original coke in the store for my wife for forty dollars when they came out w/ new coke. God, I must really love that woman.

120 miles each way for WH? Sorry, there're not THAT good. As I have "said" before there're everywhere in NC and SC so we end up taking them for granted.

But one assignment I had a few years ago in France had me have my wife air ship me a five pound bag of grits. After a month w/o grits I was dieing. We also drove an hour each way to Luxenbourg City every other Saturday afternoon to go to a steak house to get a baked potato. Arlon Belgium didn't have such a thing. Pizza was to die for but no baked potato.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/12 20:06:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

I would just as soon have this go on to a 40 page forum..........anything to beat that darn "long gone chains" forum!

So. You like my forum...?/?/?/

Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/12 20:13:37 (permalink)
"But one assignment I had a few years ago in France had me have my wife air ship me a five pound bag of grits. After a month w/o grits I was dieing. We also drove an hour each way to Luxenbourg City every other Saturday afternoon to go to a steak house to get a baked potato. Arlon Belgium didn't have such a thing. Pizza was to die for but no baked potato."

No baked 'taters

NO GRITS

Hell; thems fightin' werds to me.

V960
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/13 07:49:17 (permalink)
We were building a fiber plant for the then Allied Signal and I had guys knocking on my door in the morning when they smelled the grits cooking. Small pot on a hot plate but we shared.

By the way WH has crap for grits for the most part...Southern company and they don't teach these people how to make grits that aren't lumpy?
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1187
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/13 08:45:08 (permalink)
A general observation:

This thread is STILL ATTRACTING COMMENT? Oy gevalt.
V960
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/10/13 09:10:33 (permalink)
Haven't a clue what "oy gavalt" means but yes it travels on.
Page: << < ..111213 > Showing page 11 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1