How about waffle house ?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 13
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/09 12:08:10 (permalink)
I found the Huddle House on the internet. Everything appears almost identical to the Waffle house except the color. The menu is almost identical down to the hasbrowns which are offered the same way. You know"covered, smothered, etc.

I had said in an earlier e-mail that they had been around for 50 years. The web site indicated 36 years and about 350 stores located in the southeastern states.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/09 12:29:26 (permalink)
Yeah they even mix the eggs in blender for the omelets like WH does. They have the same setup for waffles too ! I enjoyed HH, but just thought WH was better. I noticed the hash browns selection too.
Matchstick Man
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/09 18:14:14 (permalink)
The first WH I went to was in Virgina Beach back in 1976. Ever since then, where ever I travel, if I am not near a restaraunt listed in "Road Food" etc I will always look for WH. My favorite item on the menu? A few years ago they had AYCE... sure wish they'd bring that one back (I'm in WISC which doesn't have any WH's.....yet)
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/10 08:36:05 (permalink)
Does AYCE mean "all you can eat"? An all you can eat Waffle House? WOW, that's a new one on me !
fglaser@coastalnet.com
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/10 15:56:22 (permalink)
Waffle Houses are terrific; they have the best hash browns ever, and that is a real accomplishment. I like the plain waffles better than the pecan waffles. The bacon is remarkably good, smokier and crunchier than the supoermarket variety. In fact, everything at the WH is good, at least throughout North Carolina. Cracker Barrel is another story; it is worse than mediocre, and some of it is inedible. Waffle House belongs; Cracker Barrel doesn't.
bumper
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/10 19:26:41 (permalink)
RIGHT ON !! C B is a poor immation of road food .
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/10 19:41:41 (permalink)
Cracker Barrel is not even close. The food is not even close. I am from Tennessee and they are a Tennessee company (Lebanon), but that has nothing to do with it. Perhaps they are doing well financially, but their projgram does not cut it. They give you the volume, but the food is cold and slow

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1034
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/10 19:53:43 (permalink)
One of the reasons I like Waffle House, aside from its hours of operation and hash-house ambience, is that it's one of the few places that still makes small-tread waffles. Belgians have virtually taken over, and while I don't HATE a Belgian waffle, it cannot compare to an elegant old-fashioned one, as served at[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=586']Willy Nick's[/url] in Katonah, New York.

Actually, this photo is two piled atop one another -- an ideal way to melt maximum amounts of butter in between. That measly single cup in the background was only the beginning!

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/10 20:01:49 (permalink)
One of the things that I appreciate about the Waffle House is their consistency. They seem to be the same every location and they go with the greeting everytime you enter the establishment. Grits are good, waffle is good, hash browns are great and every thing is good. The only complaint I have heard is the smoking policy. Food is outstanding.

One thing that I have never understood is how they do the turnover thing. There is not that much space and you seem to be able to get a seat no matter when you enter. I do not like the stools where you pay. The customers have to reach over you.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/10 21:02:41 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
The Waffle House/Huddle House debate continues on ad nauseum, doesn't it? Huddle House began after Waffle House: a disgruntled WH manager left and started up HH: WH's first store opened in 1955 on College Avenue in Avondale Estates, Georgia... I think it's an insurance agency now. WH # 1 is right up the street, but it's a new building. HH began in about 1957. Both are headquartered in the Metro Atlanta area, hence the proliferation of both in this area.
In Indiana, someone had already trademarked the name "Waffle House," so WH stores there are known as Waffle & Steak. Interesting trivia, I suppose.
My favorite breakfast place in Atlanta is The Lakewood Diner on Lakewood Avenue in Southwest Atlanta. The location used to be a Huddle House, but the chain closed it. The shopping center owner recruited the old employees (many of whom had worked together there for 15-20 years), cleaned the space up, and reopened it. It's a non-chain eatery and superbly, loveably unfancy. Bet'cha I could write an entire novel there in two weeks' time.
Another good breakfast place is The Majestic Food Shop on Ponce de Leon Avenue. It's been in the same location since the Plaza Shopping Center opened in 1938.
Next time I visit Judy's Diner in Lilburn, I'll report back to y'all. This is a mom-and-pop neighborhood eatery diagonally across U. S. 29 from Spiced Right Bar-B-Q, one of Atlanta area's very best... a double whammy if there ever was one.
In Charlotte, The Landmark Diner on Central Avenue is superb. My favorite thing there is a livermush-and-feta cheese omelette of my own concoction. Only in North Carolina, folks.
Cacklingly, Ort. Carlton.
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/11 08:12:10 (permalink)
WOW ! Livermush and feta omelette !!! Now I like all of those individually, but have never tried them as a combo !! Interesting ! Must give this a try.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/14 19:05:44 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Someday I'll learn to spell "nauseam" correctly.
Unspellcheckingly, Ort. Carlton.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/14 19:25:14 (permalink)
It never ceases to amaze me how CB can pak the crowds when they have mediocre cuisine. Their breakfast potatoes are marginal at best, they serve cold bisquits, gravy that is at best OK, service that is slow!!!! Marketing is everything I guess. I am from Tennessee and CB is a Lebanon, TN company, but they ain't got it.

I would rather have one breakfst from Waffle House than ten from CB

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
bumper
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/16 21:59:45 (permalink)
YOUR SO RIGHT PAUL ! C B IS JUST TO KEEP FROM NOT EATING AT ALL !
Matchstick Man
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/17 09:23:39 (permalink)
Sorry I missed your question to my posting until now, scbuzz. Yes, AYCE = All you can eat. When I lived in Texas 93-98, the local WH's in the area had an AYCE selection. Cheap, too. If I remember correctly they had a low price in the morning and a higher price after noon. But that may have only been in the DFW Metromess area.
silverspork
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/24 04:48:15 (permalink)
A friend and I ate at a Waffle House in Nashville and we were
hooked. Breakfasts are pretty basic in preparation, but these
folks know their stuff. Everything was perfect. We then tried
to eat at every one we could find as we went cross-country.
(transporting a car bought on eBay). My only regret is that
the chain has yet to reach the West Coast.

If I were an accredited investor, I'd buy a good half-dozen
franchises.
pigface
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/29 23:27:16 (permalink)
We have No WH in Michigan (Maybe is true)
and I enjoyed a good breakfast last week in northern Kentucky.
The food was very good, and I would have frequented them more often, but
the Parking lots were consistently small, and impossible to park a RV, Travel Trailer,
Motor Home, Massive Semi-tractor trailer in their lots.
So I ate at the CB the first day out ... and the WH was better, and cheaper
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/30 09:59:09 (permalink)
I understand (childhood memory, not hard data) that the Huddle House chain started out as a knock-off of an earlier chain called "Toddle House," where one was supposed to "toddle in" for a meal. The HH's I've visited fit the general appraisal: much like Waffle House, slightly less extensive menu. Great hash-browns!

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I had said in an earlier e-mail that they had been around for 50 years. The web site indicated 36 years and about 350 stores located in the southeastern states.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/30 21:07:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

quote:

In my opinion the Waffle House is the only chain that truly belongs in the "Road Food " category.
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I agree that it does fill the bill ... but I would supplement that suggestion with Steak 'N' Shake of the southern Midwest and Maid-Rite of Iowa. I've never been disappointed at either.

seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/30 21:10:23 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

In my opinion the Waffle House is the only chain that truly belongs in the "Road Food " category.
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I agree that it does fill the bill ... but I would supplement that suggestion with Steak 'N' Shake of the southern Midwest and Maid-Rite of Iowa. I've never been disappointed at either.
Michael: the ShakeN Bake you visited must be a distant cousin to the one we were unfortunate enough to stumble into in St Petersburgh FL. Awful AWFUL AWFUL!!!!

urbanajo33
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/05/04 07:34:25 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/06/09 00:57:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by paoconnell
The best recent breakfast I've had was at the Frontier in Albuquerque. Two eggs over easy, carne adovada, hash browns, fresh baked tortillas, Red Rock coffee (local roaster), and a Frontier Roll split with my wife. Mmmmmm good!

Ah, the Frontier. Until a little over a year ago, I lived three blocks from the Frontier. The massive weight gain I experienced when living in Albuquerque was directly related to this fact.

However, I certainly didn't get fat from the Waffle Houses there. There were four or five of them, and I ate at three of them several times each, and I was uniformly disappointed every time. The food was that unfortunate combo of skimpy and substandard. Perhaps being that far from the home office, they weren't bothering to be up to code?

Always loved the self-advertising songs on the jukebox, though.
Pool Boy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/06/14 14:25:49 (permalink)
I love Waffle Haouse. They are usually very consistent food-wise. I am glad I saw the tip about being able to order the hash browns 'well' as I like mine a bit crispier. The waffles, like the pecan waffle are sublime and even the sandwich-y type food is good.

We were hoping some would slowly creep up into the Washington DC area, and they made it to Potomac Mills Mall, but then skipped to north of Baltimore with, I think, nothing in between. Do the Waffle House folks think central Marylanders don't want Waffle House hospitality?! They would be sadly mistaken!
NancyPeter
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/06/14 15:05:14 (permalink)
We live in NJ, so whenever we load our two boys in the car (15 & 11) & drive to Florida, even they can't wait to stop at Waffle House. The cheese omelettes are light & fluffy and the pecan waffles are scrumptious! There is also some kind of Texas cheesesteak sandwich that beats many a Philly cheesesteak, which tend to be overated (maybe I say that because I'm from North Jersey orginally).

The only problem areas with WH is that sometimes they are not very clean and also the smoking issue...
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/06/14 17:59:24 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Here comes Carolyn, the librarian, shutting the machines off, so I gotta hurry.
Huddle House started in 1962, according to their menu, which I checked a couple of days ago. Their menu is larger than is Waffle House's; they are one notch less corporate in their outlook.
Used to be a single-location place in Sandy Springs north of Atlanta called The Char House. When they widened Roswell Road, it was a casualty. Sniff. I only ate there once; it was A++ good!
Hurriedly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
P. S. I'm off to Achim's K-Bob as soon as I finish this post, if not sooner. A week and a half without a k-bob puts me into withdrawal. I gotta stop he
wrfc5
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/07/04 19:23:08 (permalink)
I'm a big fan of sausage melts. And anyplace I can get hashbrowns with jalepeno peppers, onions and chili at 4am can't be all bad.
St. Louis Browns fan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/07/08 22:10:56 (permalink)
I'd sure love to see a few Waffle Houses here in Cheeseland (Wisconsin). Great hash browns and very reasonable prices.
haximon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/07/10 14:18:01 (permalink)
I discovered WH while on vacation in 1992 and loved it so much I still eat there at least every other week.

Best breakfast in the country to me is Loveless Cafe in Nashville. It is worth the wait for a true southern beakfast. Everything is good.
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/07/10 14:38:30 (permalink)
My best Waffle House memories:

Clumps of poor and exhausted nursing students doing late night and/or early morning cramming before exams, and the nice waitresses kept us in plenty of hot coffee and called us "honey".

Back in the day, when Gilley's was still a "regular" dance hall (before Urban Cowboy)...going dancing (and drinking!) til last call, then going to the Waffle House for a huge breakfast.

*sigh*
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/07/10 17:53:27 (permalink)
Ugh. Waffle House is the only place I've ever eaten
that made me really, really sick. Except for a Chinese joint
with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much MSG....

I mean, the menu alone was bad.....
Western omelette topped with Chili and cheese?
Pepto by the quart....
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1