How about waffle house ?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 13
Author
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 305
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/07/10 19:14:36 (permalink)
Culver's is a good chain also.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/07/16 09:12:55 (permalink)
Originally posted by Michael Stern

One of the reasons I like Waffle House, aside from its hours of operation and hash-house ambience, is that it's one of the few places that still makes small-tread waffles. Belgians have virtually taken over, and while I don't HATE a Belgian waffle,
Absolutely!!!!!and next time your on the left coast and traveling along the coast north os SF---you MUST check out the Cream Waffle at the River Inn in Guernieville---absolutely the best waffle i ever tasted---and let me tell,this 52inch gut has seen alot of waffles--Gourmet,Epicurius--they all have been trying for many yrs---25 that i know of--to get the recipe and failed.Well worth the trip
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/07/20 00:46:47 (permalink)
Heard this one told at a party tonight:

Q: What has 16 legs and 3 teeth?

A: The night shift at Waffle House.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5475
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/07/27 00:48:00 (permalink)
Being a Calif. boy I had never experienced a WH or HH until about 4 years ago. There are 2 in Winchester, Va. and after living in the area for about a year we stopped in for food one day. My wife, whose name is Peggy, is refered to as PICKY Peggy when it comes to food... Even she liked it.

About 2.5 years ago they opened one in Martinsburg, WVa which is on the way to and from work. So we would stop there about twice a month to eat on the way home. Since we both worked graveyard some days we would want breakfast food, eggs and such and other days we would want burgers or such. They were always very accomodating and did a great job with the food. As others have stated they are inconsistent with the service though. We now have a WH about a mile from the house but I still prefer to goto the first one in M'burg. They seem to have a better wait staff.

As to my favorite food there I usually get them to make me a chili size. Bun toasted, served open faced with 2 meat patties, chili ladeled on top and a slice of cheese on top of the chili. With HBs doubled, scatterd and topped with chili. Yummy! Picky Peggy almost always get the Texas cheese steak w/o onions.

Well I guess you know where I'll be in 7 hours, unless all he11 breaks out here at work.

MikeS.
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/07/27 10:47:18 (permalink)
I am in the minority...........I dislike Waffle House. My daughter adores them and loves to eat at them while on the road. I find that many of them look slightly dirty and the service is usually quite dreadful. But I will say that one of the happiest memories is the evening we dined at one after watching the NY Giants beat the Buffalo Bills at the Super Bowl in Tampa. Everything looked and tasted great that night!!!
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5475
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/07/28 00:00:38 (permalink)
So I went to my favorite local WH and ordered my chili size. Although when I asked the new waitress for one she of course didn't know what I wanted. A chili size must be a West coast thing or something. I sure don't see them around DC.

So I explained what I wanted and she tried. Instead of open faced I got closed. No biggie, I seperated the patties and the cheese and spread the chili around. She did bring me more chili since it was pretty skimpy. Several of the people there commented on "my" creation as to it looking good.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/07/30 10:40:28 (permalink)
Unfortunately my Waffle House experiences over the years, and in pretty much all locations, mirror those of chezkatie, plus I've never found their heat, odors, noise, and crowds particularly appealing, but as chezkatie says, we are apparently definitely in the minority on this subject.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13549
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/07/30 10:49:56 (permalink)
There are several things that I do not like about the Waffle house such as smoking, noise and tiny rest rooms, but there are a lot of things I do like such as almost all of their food which is served to order, hot and tasty. I particularly llike their breakfast including what i believe is the best hash browns in the USA.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
blake76
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/02 01:25:04 (permalink)
My best WH memory: Writing waffle-themed haiku on paper napkins with fellow procrastinating English majors at 2am, right up the road from my college in SW Virginia, waiting for our 'browns.

Wierdest WH moment: So, at the college reunion this summer, my friends and I make the pilgrimage to WH around 9pm. We actually have to wait in line (gasp), and, as we're waiting, we see them *switch all the menus, right at 9:00*. We sneak a look at an 8:55 menu, and the waffles are $1.70 or so. When we sit down ten minutes later, the waffles prices have gone up!!! Has the waffle-batter market experienced a downturn? What the heck's the difference b/w an 8pm waffle and a 9pm waffle?!? Answer: About a dollar. Apparently, waffles have a witching hour. I'm sure I'll be back in another 10 years.
glf142
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/11 13:55:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

In my traveled opinion, Cracker Barrell is at the best average. You never get fresh food,, the bisquits are almost cold, they do not have good breakfast potatoes and they are not southern as they claim. I go there, but it is only because I have people in my company from other places that want to. Their lunch is OK, but that is all. They are a Tennessee company, but their food ain't

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I disagree. Cracker Barrel is excellent. They have nice waitresses, the food is always delicious and top notch and I like their country ham better than any of the other places. Sometimes it takes a long time to wait if you're ordering for group of 6 or 7, but the food always comes out hot and ready. The ones in the South are great, but the Maryland location in Bel Air (Exit 80 on I-95, Rt. 543) is also superb too with their food.

Preston, NC

glf142
Junior Burger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/11 14:02:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mobley

I see that Waffle House seems to be spreading northward. They now have locations in MD and PA, and the locals seem to really like them in those areas. Probably a lot of patronage by truckers from the South. A good Waffle House location would be the first exit on the NJ Turnpike at the Delaware Mem. Bridge. I bet it would do great with all the truck traffic in that area. Cracker Barrell is there already, can WH be far behind?
I have always seen Waffle Houses up north in my travels, namely New Jersey. Although they're based in Norcross, GA and the Atlanta Metro area, they want to expand to fill in those blank spots of exits off interstates where there's no food, gas or hotels. I've also noticed that Cracker Barrel is expanding too up north. Went to one in Bel Air, Maryland, Exit 80 off I-95 (Md. Rt. 543), about 3 years ago; it's just as packed in that restaurant too as the ones in the South.
glf142
Junior Burger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/11 14:06:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by scbuzz

I have been disappointed on my last few trips to CB also! Quality is lacking and it took a long time to get the food and it is expensive !!!

We have a chain here in SC called Huddle House. They are a Waffle House knockoff, not quite as good as WH, but close.

I have seen the Huddle Houses--- haven't been there yet. But they want to be like Waffle House with their format similar to theirs. They also serve pancakes. And their restaurants are about 2 or 3 blocks from the Waffle Houses off some of the I-95 exits in NC, SC and even GA. So they want to take some of the WH competition.
glf142
Junior Burger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/11 14:10:00 (permalink)
quote:

Does anybody else love waffle house like me. The cheese omelet is GREAT ! So thick and fluffy ! They whip it in a blender. Have not had any bad meals at waffle house. Waffles are good too.
I love their breakfast, especially the All-star breakfast. If they should add another thing in their menu, it should be a Waffle, 2 eggs, bacon or sausage and hashbrowns for one entree. They seem to serve a Waffle and 2 eggs as one entree and hashbrowns as a separate entree. Hashbrowns aren't even listed in the All-star breakfast.
glf142
Junior Burger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/11 14:14:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by M&M

We've been fans of WH for years. They have good basic food and I love watching the cook work. Real models of memory and efficiency. How else could they get all those orders out so fast? We have also found that you can always get a good look at the locals as every WH we have ever been in seems to have a raft of regulars that come in. You can catch up on the local news while having breakfast.

One disturbing trend, however. I was in Birmingham a few months ago and had breakfast at a new WH. It seemed to have gone up scale with much more room than the normal roadside diners. I hope they don't go the Applebee's route or some such thing.
They have been remodeling the restaurants a lot. I think that they're trying to get it off its late-'70s look; bring all the restaurants to a more millennium 2003 look. They haven't changed the older restaurants as much. I think that they don't want to be criticized for bad , torn-up seats in their restaurants. But the food will always remain the same, just trying to improve the restaurant's appearance a bit.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/11 16:21:04 (permalink)
I LOVE Waffle House, almost saw a cook go "postal" there when we were in Daytona Beach for the races. Not a good place to work if you're jsut starting out for sure. He eventually just walked out and I'm glad! If he didn't I was! Best one I've ever eaten at was Ormand Beach.

Another great place for breakfast(also 24 hr)is "The Farmhouse" in Valdosta. Country ham, city ham, eggs about any way you can imagine, GRITS AND REDEYE GRAVY!
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/16 16:20:59 (permalink)
quote:

Does anybody else love waffle house like me. The cheese omelet is GREAT ! So thick and fluffy ! They whip it in a blender. Have not had any bad meals at waffle house. Waffles are good too.

Mostly I'm fine w/Waffle House, but this one time...
I was pulling an all-nighter at the office - at around 4:30am I figured I deserved a good breakfast, and the WH up the road (Hwy 41 in Marietta, GA) seemed just the ticket. The picture of scrambled eggs, bacon and toast looked great - but what ended up in front of me - the eggs were the consistency of caulking and were whitish-gray, the bacon was perfectly flat strips of soylent...the raisin toast was okay, but half the size of regulation bread. The lighting in the place was like the light of a tv in a dark room. No idea just what that was all about, unless I dreamt it all at my desk...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/16 16:31:59 (permalink)
I am sad that you experienced what you did. My overall exsperience with WH has been very good. I always enjoy their waffles, and potatoes. I really enjoy thier experience.

Paul E. smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18891
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/16 20:24:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by blake76

My best WH memory: Writing waffle-themed haiku on paper napkins with fellow procrastinating English majors at 2am, right up the road from my college in SW Virginia, waiting for our 'browns.

Wierdest WH moment: So, at the college reunion this summer, my friends and I make the pilgrimage to WH around 9pm. We actually have to wait in line (gasp), and, as we're waiting, we see them *switch all the menus, right at 9:00*. We sneak a look at an 8:55 menu, and the waffles are $1.70 or so. When we sit down ten minutes later, the waffles prices have gone up!!! Has the waffle-batter market experienced a downturn? What the heck's the difference b/w an 8pm waffle and a 9pm waffle?!? Answer: About a dollar. Apparently, waffles have a witching hour. I'm sure I'll be back in another 10 years.

I've been eating in Waffle Houses for years, and I've never seen them change menus to change prices. The ones I go to have the same prices 24 hours a day, seven days a week (and they don't even have keys to lock the doors).
chefpablo2000
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/16 21:43:13 (permalink)
My favorite waffle house is Jakes Waffle House in Bishop, CA. We happened upon it on a driving trip from Fort Worth, TX to Monterrey, CA. It is a small fishing town in the mountains between Yosemite National Park and Sacramento, CA. Check it out-four stars
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/17 00:03:27 (permalink)
This thread feels like I'm in a parallel universe. Are we talking about Waffle House? What happened to everyone's taste? I'm beginning to question my own absolute repulsion to Waffle House. From my experience, it was flat, bland, and tasteless. I don't know, man. Just nothing.
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/17 07:32:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Originally posted by Michael Stern

One of the reasons I like Waffle House, aside from its hours of operation and hash-house ambience, is that it's one of the few places that still makes small-tread waffles. Belgians have virtually taken over, and while I don't HATE a Belgian waffle,
Absolutely!!!!!and next time your on the left coast and traveling along the coast north os SF---you MUST check out the Cream Waffle at the River Inn in Guernieville---absolutely the best waffle i ever tasted---and let me tell,this 52inch gut has seen alot of waffles--Gourmet,Epicurius--they all have been trying for many yrs---25 that i know of--to get the recipe and failed.Well worth the trip

Belgians are taking over? Sounds like a plot of Dr. Evil's.

Thanks for the Guernieville heads-up - I'll be that way on business this week and I'll try to check it out!
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/17 09:23:29 (permalink)
As far as the Waffle House goes in Tampa, I really go for their fried egg and cigarette ash sandwiches. My first visit I was greeted to 'southern hominess' by a snarling waitress and a Jack daniels infused fry cook, who dutifully cooked my entire breakfast w/o removing the dangling camel non-filter from his sainted lips....no small feat
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/17 09:37:32 (permalink)
My local Waffle House in Covington, LA got kind of famous in the late 80's as a sure bet if you wanted to meet a National Book Award winner. There is a famous interview with Walker Percy that appeared in Newsweek in 1988 upon the publication of The Thanatos Syndrome. This interview took place in the Waffle House. The reporter apparently expected to be taken to lunch at somewhere a little more "hoi polloi", and did not realize that Percy dined virtually everyday (along with his wife Bunt) at Waffle House. In the article (I am paraphrasing here because I can't seem to access the Newsweek archives this morning) Percy explains that his two favorite places to eat are Gallitoires and Waffle House. His main reason for these two selections is dependability. By that he meant that he liked the idea of knowing that you were going to be able to order something and have it appear in front of you in much the same state as the last time you ordered the item. While Galitoires and Waffle House are light years apart in terms of food services, they do share some things in common (and they appealed to Walker greatly) 1) Food is good and dependable 2) The conversation from the next table is always interesting (and in both places tables are close enough together that one doesn't have to feel guilty about taking interest in someone else's conversation) 3) they are both superior places to people watch.

He also claimed that the grilled chicken breast with a pecan waffle on the side was his favorite meal and the best chicken he had ever had. I happen to prefer ham and cheese omelette with hash browns (smothered, covered, scattrered) and wheat toast with peach preserves. I also like watching the short order people when they are really busy. They are wonders to watch if they are any good at their job. Models of planning and organization.

The Waffle Houses on my side of the Lake used to be owned by former New Orleans Saint Johnny Poe, although I do not believe that he owns them any longer. Lucky for Johnny the Waffle House has a much better dependability record than any Saints team he played on (or any Saints team period)
glf142
Junior Burger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/19 13:46:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Cracker Barrel is not even close. The food is not even close. I am from Tennessee and they are a Tennessee company (Lebanon), but that has nothing to do with it. Perhaps they are doing well financially, but their projgram does not cut it. They give you the volume, but the food is cold and slow

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
I think it's ironic that there are two Tennessee family restaurant food chains within short distances from each other. Shoney's headduartered in Nashville and Cracker Barrel headquartered in Lebanon. They both have an emphasis on comfort food and that's why they have lasted. Really, I've seen more cars at Cracker Barrel than I see at Shoney's.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/19 14:16:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by goldsborscht

This thread feels like I'm in a parallel universe. Are we talking about Waffle House? What happened to everyone's taste? I'm beginning to question my own absolute repulsion to Waffle House. From my experience, it was flat, bland, and tasteless. I don't know, man. Just nothing.

Between this thread and the Krispy Kreme Thread I am ready to pull out my hair. I just wish these two threads would die a natural death!
garykg6
Cheeseburger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/19 17:29:07 (permalink)
WANDERINGJEW is a man after my own heart, these institutions insult my palate as well as my colon a day later......anybody who praises 'KK' has not had a real donut in his or her life.....period!!
and as for GOLDSBORCHT, that man can be my guest anytime in search of 'real' roadfood......GARYKG6(goyem)
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/19 17:48:40 (permalink)
Garykg6: I praise KK all the time cause I like their product. I am sure you travel a lot as I do. I am sure that there are better donuts out there, but I happen to extremely like them. My job has taken me to 50 states all of the Canadian providences, most of central America, Most of South America and all of Europe. I like pastries and I have had them in every country. Your statement that anybody who has ever given praise to KK has never had a real donut is a little immature. I think what compromises a real donut is really in the eyes of the taster. I can understand you not being particularly fond of KK to characterize everyone else who does not share your opinion as not having good taste indicates immaturity with your judgement.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/19 18:10:52 (permalink)
I've had more "real" doughnuts in my life than you've had hot breakfasts -- and I have the waistline to prove it -- and I love Krispy Kreme. More to the point, I don't have to have my tastes validated by you or anyone else, and I don't appreciate being told that my tastes are somehow inferior to yours, a point of view that is not going to win you many friends and admirers on these boards.
garykg6
Cheeseburger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/19 18:45:16 (permalink)
sorry Paul,but I'll stay with my 'immature judgement'....this entire website is based on judgement,whether it be immature,learned,second-hand or otherwise. judgements are based on factors not always present on the ability of any human being completely subjective. For instance,you may review the same pitstop from different perspectives,based upon your mood, lack of sleep or the awarding of a bonus........my advise would be to lighten-up and not engage in spitting contests with people you know little or nothing about, my remark was sent to arouse response,not to humiliate or denigrate anyones gastric intuitions, you,of all people, should realize that.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/19 18:56:04 (permalink)
Gary: I do not mind you having an opinion. As you stated that is a little about what this forum is about. When you start to characterize others, that is when you cross the line. If you do not like KK or any other group, that is entirely up to you, but when you state that your opinion is better than several hundred million people who happen to like a product and that they do not know what they like, that is when you embark on the immaturity level. I did not take your post as one to arouse but I did take it as one to insult those who did not agree with your point of view.

I do appreciate you having an opinion. You can vote your opinion by not patronizing products you do not care for. That is the American way. I do it every day. I buy products I like and those that I do not, I do not buy. I even state my opinions on this forum but I never will insult others with my point of view. You can do this by intelligent debate and not by insult.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1