How about waffle house ?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 13
Author
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/19 19:04:29 (permalink)
I welcome those who feel they have been insulted by myself to come forward and I shall personally apologize for any distress I may have caused....i am,by nature, a man of peace(not counting a tour with the 101st)....best wishes to all
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/19 19:14:30 (permalink)
Gary, I ain't so damn thin skin that my feelings get shattered by a comment on donuts. Hopefully I was coaching you how you can contribute and improve the site. You owe me no apology and I welcome your continued post. You can make a difference and all I ask is that you think before you make definative remarks.

Perhaps I will get to try your real donuts someday. I am aware that there are others who make a superior product. Perhaps if they are good enough, they can go public, entice millions to try their product and if they are good enough, they will be successful, their stock will go up and they will not be trashed others who have tried and not been successful.

In the meantime, please continue to post and help this site.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/08/19 19:46:57 (permalink)
I appreciate your comments,but remembering about what I said about opinions? well,I fall victim to the same demons, first,my donut guys died years ago and nostalgia has been factored into their donut memories....second, how many of uslike me on monday, have waited in line at a KK(drive thru) for 20min,only two cars ahead of me,when I got to put my order in, the poor guy running the show was all alone,except for about 30 angry customers inside and told me " sorry,alls we have left are bavarian creme and plain but no coffee(fellow workers having taken the day off)?.....only to be followed by me being late for work(I am a trumpet player in the recording industry) and getting my a-- chewed out by just about everyone,coffee-less and miserable............I'll try again tomorrow
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/11/15 02:12:31 (permalink)
For the one that talked of the waffle house in Indiana yes that is a different chain than the other states. That why the Indiana one are Waffle and Steaks. The Waffle House in Kimball Tennessee was really good when we visited the area. We dont have one in Wisconsin so it is a treat to go down south and eat at one. And yes they have the best hashbrowns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/11/15 22:54:07 (permalink)
In addition, someone mentioned something about Waffle Houses in New Jersey, and there aren't any Waffle Houses in New Jersey. The closest one to here is in Middleton, DE (right near those railroad tracks I think...). But I don't even remember eating at one ever. And I liked KK donuts as a kid. They look much smaller now, and being on Weight Watcher's they're too many points.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/26 11:06:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kristi S.

The most memorable non-chain breakfast I've ever had was back in 1984 in Berea, KY, in a historically-styled little restaurant on the village square. The name of the restaurant escapes me, but it was staffed by college students and served up a really classy yet reasonably-priced breakfast. I had these amazing pecan pancakes with equally amazing real maple syrup and real butter. And fresh OJ. It was very memorable because 1) the taste and 2) the presentation. I have yet to encounter any Waffle House/IHOP/Denny's that could top a day-starter like that one!

The place you so enjoyed is Boone Tavern, and lunch and dinner there are just as memorable as the breakfast you described. All Berea College students work real jobs in lieu of tuition and some of the Boone Tavern student employees are training for a hospitality career. I hope you can return some day and enjoy their legendary spoonbread. Boone Tavern is also a well appointed and charming inn. Tours of the college leave from the lobby.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/26 11:26:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by scbuzz

Does anybody else love waffle house like me. The cheese omelet is GREAT ! So thick and fluffy ! They whip it in a blender. Have not had any bad meals at waffle house. Waffles are good too.

I'm pretty sure I've never had a bad meal at a Waffle House. Breakfast is the only meal I've had with them and it's usually never varies: waffle plus ham or waffle plus sausage patties. Sometimes with a side of scrambled eggs. I almost never order breakfast sausage in restaurants but I like to have it at WH. Their sausage is good quality, taste fresh, and is expertly prepared.

When traveling, I often stop at WH for breakfast, coffee breaks or coffee to go. Their coffee is generally fresh and they use better than average coffee beans. I always ask my servers to pour from the freshest pot, and they don't seem to mind. In fact, WH is about the only place on the road I stop for carryout coffee.

On our next visit we're going for the cheese omelette.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18275
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/26 13:26:37 (permalink)
One of the things I really like about the Waffle House has nothing to do with the food. I appreciate the fact that the top people in the company roll up their sleeves and work the grill, the counter and the booths. And, they do it on weekends and holidays, as well as during the week.

Yesterday (Christmas) the regional manager, the brother of the owner of the most of the Waffle Houses in Ohio, and the owner, herself, were all working right alongside the regular staff during the morning. During the afternoon, the owner was still there working the grill, and she was washing dishes, too. The other managers had split up and gone to other Waffle Houses.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/27 01:08:05 (permalink)
Waffle House experiences are one of those cultural touchstones many of us like to share. Like several folks here, I enjoy the WH experience about as much as I enjoy the breakfasts, and I've always found the employees friendly and helpful.

But this past August that pretty record of 100% customer satisfaction came to an end, and I wound up with my very own "Most Memorable Waffle House Story".

Last summer I was vacationing in eastern North Carolina and hot on the barbeque trail (Parker's, Mitchell's, Skylight Inn, Wilber's, and B's) when I decided to go to Wilmington for the weekend.

The plan was to stay in Wilmington Thursday night and go to Wrightsville Beach on Friday, maybe staying overnight. When I checked out Friday, the motel was no longer serving coffee in the lobby. So, I went to a nearby Waffle House to drink some coffee--a lot of coffee--and then get some to go.

Sitting at the counter, about 2 feet from the cash register, I expected service pretty quickly as there were 5 servers within 10 feet of me. The only other customers were two regular types, also at the counter.

But I had walked into a a major meltdown among the staff. The oldest waitress in the group was all charged up and acting out while the four younger women seemed stricken; they were just standing frozen, and looked very stressed. The server on the warpath was unintellibible to me, and appeared to be paying herself a salary from the cash register. I waited about ten minutes and no one even looked my way.

Finally I decided to get out of Dodge, but said to them: "You people are ridiculous". As I walked out, I heard the wild woman say, "I'm sorry, sir."

The upshot of all this is that I became lost on the way to the beach and stayed lost. To my dismay and embarassment, I found myself far from the beach, crossing the Cape Fear River near the city riverfront on the route to the U.S.S. North Carolina.

Discouraged and still addle brained from the lack of hot liquid, I gave up the beach idea, and settled on tracking down two new barbeque places between Wilmington and Raleigh. Thankfully that adventure turned out very well (The White Swan in Smithfield and Stephenson's in Willow Spring), and I was happy I skipped the beach.

JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/27 01:13:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

One of the things I really like about the Waffle House has nothing to do with the food. I appreciate the fact that the top people in the company roll up their sleeves and work the grill, the counter and the booths. And, they do it on weekends and holidays, as well as during the week.

Yesterday (Christmas) the regional manager, the brother of the owner of the most of the Waffle Houses in Ohio, and the owner, herself, were all working right alongside the regular staff during the morning. During the afternoon, the owner was still there working the grill, and she was washing dishes, too. The other managers had split up and gone to other Waffle Houses.

Michael, I'm glad you shared this information with us. Most impressive.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/27 15:37:17 (permalink)
Due to the Atkins thing, I have been having breakfast frequently at WH. I like the way they do their eggs and I always get their steak. Always tender and tasty. Can't have the bread, grits or hash browns.

I miss their hash browns the most. I like them with everything except the chili.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/27 16:22:11 (permalink)
As a Waffle house regular I've had my share of bad experiences, including staff meltdowns. And then there was the time two customers started shooting at each other inside the place. (They were both excellent examples of learning to shoot by watching movies about drug dealers. They both emptied their pistols and hit nothing but windows, walls, floor and ceiling.)
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/27 16:23:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

quote:

Michael, I'm glad you shared this information with us. Most impressive.

I've thought for years that Waffle House has to be a great place to work.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/27 16:32:18 (permalink)
seeing how there are so many Waffle House's, occasional bad experience's can be expected. There is the bell curve. In my opinion, when you have as many locations as WF has, you will have that occaional customer rudeness or bad meal.

Our divisional which has 2500 employees out of 125,000 has been partially hired by the Sundancer. I use consultants and various other sources to employee and believe me, I wish I could hit 50% of good hires.

Overall, the WH menu is consistent and I sure do enjoy the taste.

Low carb man
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/27 21:13:43 (permalink)
Me too Sundancer !! I go back often and love their omelettes, especially the cheesesteak !! I too am on the Atkins and find WH one of the best places to eat hot, freshly prepared, good food and still stay on the diet !!

And you can find one on about every street corner to boot !!!
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/28 09:50:25 (permalink)
Count me in, as well, as a fan of the Haus. When the paperwork piles-up, I've often day-dreamed about operating my own WH franchise. Fortunately, I've worked enough in the food business years ago to prevent me from ever actually acting on this notion.
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/30 09:56:09 (permalink)
GF and I stayed in Amarillo on the way to Colorado for Xmas. When we headed out the next morning we stopped at the Waffle House just down from the motel. The experience was memorable - but only because we can't make the nightmares go away!

The girl behind the counter went on and on about the visit from the health inspector just the day before. She was amazed that they passed, mainly because the sink and floor drains were clogged.

The short order cook seemed to know what he was doing, and, in fact, seemed very professional in the way he made GF's omelet. He used a modified milk shake mixer to fluff up the eggs.

Since we were the only customers, the cook took a seat at one of the booths while the girl checked us out. I couldn't help but notice that the cook didn't wash the mixer after he used it. I also couldn't help but wonder if the thing was clean when he made GF's eggs.

GF was sooooo happy that I pointed that out to her!
haximon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/30 13:49:00 (permalink)
I'm also a WH fan. While living in Kansas City, I discovered WH in St. Louis in 1992 and was instantly hooked. I live in Cincinnati now and I still eat at WH at least twice a month. The food is pretty consistent; the bacon's a bit random tho. Nobody has better hash browns (well done please). When I drive out of the area breakfast is still first WH in the direction I'm going.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/30 14:18:04 (permalink)
Another Cincinnatian! wooo!

Without getting too personal or anything, what part of town are you in, Haximon? I'm in Mt Washington.

Also, have you had breakfast at Sugar N Spice on Reading near Xavier?

(my apologies in advance for this non-waffle-house-topic aside)
M&M
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/30 16:43:39 (permalink)
Two WH meals on our annual trip back to Alabama for Mom's Christmas dinner. First on Christmas Eve night in Athens, Alabama. A really packed house and things were hopping. Two cooks behind the counter one of which was engaged in loud running battle with the waitresses. In fact, our waitress asked us if we would like to adopt a child because she would like to get rid of the cook. The battle raged on the whole time we were there with loud arguing between them and two dropped glasses. My ham omlet was terrific but M's Texas cheese steak was, ahem, very forgettable.

On the way back to St. Louis ate in B'ham WH. Great place. One of the newer larger facilities. When we walked in on Sunday morning the entire staff turned and gave us a big hell-o as they did for each and every patron that came in. My usual ham omlet was terrific and M's eggs over easy with hash browns (despite my insisting that she had to eat grits in the South) were excellent. Filled our coffee cups the instant they were empty and without asking gave us to-go cups of coffe when the bill was presented. Loved the place.

If I may be permitted an off the subject note. We ate at Jubilee Seafood while in Montgomery and were very pleased. We highly recommend to anyone travelling to Alabama's Capital City. Jubile is on Woodley Road just past Huntington Collenge. Smallish place with an absolutely terrific wait staff, very knowledgeable, very prompt, very courteous. Place was packed, noisy and everyone was in a great after Christmas Day mood. M had boiled royal red shrimp and a cup of gumbo. Gumbo was just ok but shirmp were excellent. I had baked crab encrusted sea bass that was fantastic. Mom downed fried oysters that were very good. Sea bass came with wild rice and slaw on the side. Lemon butter sauce on fish. Slaw seemed somewhat of an odd choice for a slightly upscale meal but it worked well and was delicious. Good bread to go along. Prices per entre were about $20 so a little above standard road food tab but worth it.

In other news heard that Sahara changed ownership after some 50 years under the direction of the Deep family. Mixed reports but only hearsay says food is not as good. We didn't get a chance to sample so will reserve judgment.

One final note. Montgomery now has an excellent art museum. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Hopper, Monet, Sargeant, Rothko, all represented. Museum sits on same compound as the Alabama Shakespeare Theatre and both are recommened.
SeanDeb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/30 16:48:42 (permalink)
Ewww. Waffle House.
The food is OK if you like your breakfast to taste like an ashtray, and as long as you like walking out at 7:00am smelling like a tavern.

I've eaten there several times, and had the exact same experience, whether I was in Georgia, South Carolina, or Virginia.

I much prefer Shoney's for a bad breakfast.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/30 17:01:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SeanDeb

Ewww. Waffle House.
The food is OK if you like your breakfast to taste like an ashtray, and as long as you like walking out at 7:00am smelling like a tavern.

I've eaten there several times, and had the exact same experience, whether I was in Georgia, South Carolina, or Virginia.

I much prefer Shoney's for a bad breakfast.

Wow! I've eaten in Waffle Houses all through the South and in Ohio and I've never had experiences such as you describe. Although, there is a Waffle House near Jeffersonville, Ohio, off Interstate-71, where there are no free coffee refils.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/30 17:15:06 (permalink)
quote:
[br}Although, there is a Waffle House near Jeffersonville, Ohio, off Interstate-71, where there are no free coffee refils.

Egad!! No free refills. That WOULD be a bad experience!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/12/30 18:36:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
[br}Although, there is a Waffle House near Jeffersonville, Ohio, off Interstate-71, where there are no free coffee refils.

Egad!! No free refills. That WOULD be a bad experience!

No free refills. I walked in one day and saw the sign. I walked right out. When I got home I called the woman who owns the franchise for most of Ohio and Indiana and asked what was going on. She told me she knew about that place, and assured me it was not one of hers.
misterzerox
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/24 15:08:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jennycola

We don't have Waffle House in my area - I love Walker Brothers Original Pancake House in Wilmette, Illinois. Everything is good - omelets, pancakes, perfect eggs (hash browns aren't my favorite there), good sausage and bacon. It suits all the family tastebuds since they have chocolate chip pancakes too!
misterzerox
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/24 15:27:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jennycola

We don't have Waffle House in my area - I love Walker Brothers Original Pancake House in Wilmette, Illinois. Everything is good - omelets, pancakes, perfect eggs (hash browns aren't my favorite there), good sausage and bacon. It suits all the family tastebuds since they have chocolate chip pancakes too!

Oops, I hit the wrong key before. Nope, no Awful House in the Chicago 'burbs (sorry, my husband's brother lives in Atlanta and he always calls it that so I can't bring myself to try it but I'm sure it's good)But jennycola is correct about Walker Brothers. Their food is simply orgasmic, the best pancakes I have ever tasted, loaded with butter, huge omelettes, chicken,apple & maple sausage; oh help me I'm drooling...And the quality is consistently the same, whether in Lake Zurich, Lincolnshire, Glenview,Wilmette, Arlington Hts, even Phoenix, AZ! There is a Richard Walker's in Schaumburg, just as delicious, more lunch choices though. So anyone going to Chicago, stop at Walker Brothers; just pick one, they're all over the northern suburbs. And get to breakdfast early or you'll be waiting on lines going out the door.
jm199
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/24 15:35:26 (permalink)
The only chain breakfast restaurant that i will eat at is Bob Evans. The Waffle House is wretched-dirty, overpriced and unappealing. Thank goodness it is mainly in the south, and hasn't invaded the north yet!!

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/24 16:14:37 (permalink)
It seems that everyone has their thoughts about the Waffle House. I for one really like and appreciate their style. Hot, fresh, cheerful and extremely tasty. Number one hash browns in the USA.

Love their breakfast, particularly the steak and eggs over well. I really enjoy watching the cook flip the eggs on their special pans. I wish I could do it like they do. Even the grits are great. Waffles are especially good particularly the pecan ones.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/24 22:44:41 (permalink)
GF and I ate at a Waffle House in Amarillo on our way to Colorado over Christmas. It was quite an experience to say the least.

We got an early start – before 6am – and we were the only customers, so we sat at the counter. The waitress was a down-home sort, very country and very likable. But she was just a bit too honest.

She started telling us how the health department had visited the day before, and she didn’t know how the place passed inspection what with the drains not working and all. Luckily (or maybe not) we were almost through eating by then, so we just sat and listened.

GF had an omelet, and the cook had sat down by the time the waitress was telling us all this. I happened to catch sight of the egg mixer (like a milk shake mixer) and noticed GF’s egg residue still on it. I had to wonder if it was already dirty when he fluffed her eggs.

Count us among the “never-go-backers” to Waffle House.
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/28 10:17:49 (permalink)
WH are like most eating establishments and they are only as good as the management wants them to be. I have eaten at many WH's and most have been excellent. I have been to some that were dirty and the wait staff unconcerned and distracted. I don't go back to those. Fortunately the ones that are in the town where I live and the town where I work are very well run. Recently WH has been closing down the older, run down establishments and building new ones. The management seems to be on top of things and the food offered is excellent. Everyone will have their own experiences.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1