How about waffle house ?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 13
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18382
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/28 10:46:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jm199

The only chain breakfast restaurant that i will eat at is Bob Evans. The Waffle House is wretched-dirty, overpriced and unappealing. Thank goodness it is mainly in the south, and hasn't invaded the north yet!!

For some reason I've been thinking for years that Ohio is not exactly in the southern part of the United States. Obviously, I've been wrong about that, because there are plenty of Waffle House restaurants in Ohio. There are lots of Bob Evans places here, too, probably because my friend and occasional hunting partner Bob Evans lives in Ohio, where he began the business. And, as I've told him often enough, Bob Evans restaurants are terribly overpriced. By the way, he agrees.
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1087
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/28 13:28:06 (permalink)
I don't think Bob Evans is terribly overpriced for breakfast. The dinners might be a little high compared to similar quality places but a good breakfast can be be had for around $5. My big problem I have with them is their hash browns. They just don't cook them very well. I have had them anywhere from almost raw to way overdone. And I've never really had them where I like them. The ones at Waffle House are much better. I still like Bob Evans biscuits and gravy though.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/28 19:24:31 (permalink)
The Sundancer personally rates the hash browns at the Waffle House the best in the USA. I have had them every place I travel, I have traveled all 50 states, all of the Canadian areas, Central America, South America and Europe and I have not had any that is better. I admit that due to the size of Waffle House that they have some that slip up occasionally, but for the most part, it don't get any better.

Some will bash them due to an experience at some place that did not do a good job. For those that manage people, that will occur. As a average, they fall above the bell curve.

I have not had their hash browns close to five months due to the Atkins thing. If I am ever able to return to my former dietary habits, I will assure you that I will go directly to Waffle house and pig out on the Hashbrowns, covered, smothered and whaterever else.

In addition, I particularly enjoy their fresh cook food on your order. It is not pre-cooked. You get it fresh, hot and wonderful.

Respectfully

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/28 20:11:07 (permalink)
I'll take a local café or Waffle House breakfast over a Bob Evans' breakfast any day. A few too many scortched pancakes have dictated this mindset, plus I can depend on good quality in any WH breakfast. The just-right eggs and big waffle come to the table hot and perfectly prepared. They serve very fine sausage patties too.

I can be dragged to a Bob Evans, but I never choose to go there.
SeanDeb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/29 06:16:41 (permalink)
Can anyone tell me how to unsubscribe from this forum?
While I think that food talk is a vital and worthwhile topic for discussion, I think that a year long (almost) discussion on the pros/cons of Waffle House is just not worth the time and/or attention.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/29 07:08:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SeanDeb

While I think that food talk is a vital and worthwhile topic for discussion, I think that a year long (almost) discussion on the pros/cons of Waffle House is just not worth the time and/or attention.

SeanDeb: May I respectfully suggest that you simply do not click on it. That makes it easy.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
SeanDeb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/29 07:11:44 (permalink)
Yes, you may respectfully suggest that I don't click on it, but that doesn't stop the emails.

Anyway, I found the Unsubscribe link. Thanks for your input.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/29 09:23:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SeanDeb

Perhaps, then, you ought not spend the time or attention on this topic.
Acuff-12
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/29 10:08:44 (permalink)
I, for one, am not tired of this topic. Though I'm from the North (NJ)I first ate at a WF in Nashville, and have been a fan ever since. Though they do have the Best hash Browns, I like the fact that they have SWEET TEA. That is rare north of NC. The quatlity of the tea varies depending on how far north on gets, but still, it aint bad. The only bad experience I had was at one in Fredereick MD, and the food was good, the service was kind of lack luster. The Double T Diner down the road is a great non-WH place for any meal, but I'll save that for another topic.
Matt
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7771
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/29 10:26:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Acuff-12

I like the fact that they have SWEET TEA. That is rare north of NC. The quatlity of the tea varies depending on how far north on gets, but still, it aint bad.

I found quite a few places that serve suit tea in the Richmond and Norfolk VA area. I do agree, I dont' think you will be succesful finding sweet tea in Northern VA, especially in the DC suburbs.
stormycat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/29 12:17:46 (permalink)
I have only been to WH twice. Once in Jackson Miss. and once in W. Virgina. The food was okay...the hasbrowns are better than the waffles, I think. The one thing that I do remember was the terrible service. Southern Hospitality my ass! I am sure that this was just a freak occurance that I happened upon two really unhappy employees, but I have to admit that I will probably never go back becuase of it.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/01/29 13:01:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stormycat

I have only been to WH twice. Once in Jackson Miss. and once in W. Virgina. The food was okay...the hasbrowns are better than the waffles, I think. The one thing that I do remember was the terrible service. Southern Hospitality my ass! I am sure that this was just a freak occurance that I happened upon two really unhappy employees, but I have to admit that I will probably never go back becuase of it.

You can critique "southern hospitality" to your heart's content; I don't care. But you don't need to fall back on course language to do so.

Little children sometimes sit in their parent's laps and read these posts. Think about them, even if you don't respect the rest of us.

We don't need foul language here, storycat. Please edit your post to remove the offensive word.
marcbla
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/03/13 19:07:44 (permalink)
I travel to florida several times a year and always enjoy my stop at WH, but i have one question, does the same waitress work in all locations? No matter what WH i stop at or what time of the day or night it seems like the same waitress waits on me all the time
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/03/13 21:13:45 (permalink)
I hate to rain on your parade, but my single experience with Waffle House was a disappointment. Maning, SC. Sign on the door: "no eggs, no hash browns". So we went up the street a few yards to a filthy run down (maybe the original from the '60s) awful Huddle House and ate a burnt grilled cheese sandwich. I'll never willingly go back to either of those chains - there's too many Mom and Pop diners with great food
to waste my life in cruddy chains.
blake76
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/03/14 03:04:40 (permalink)
There's nothing like a late-night waffle-fest with a few girlfriends to take the edge off that perennial lament, What's Up with Men, Anyway??? ;) For that matter, lock the U.N. in a Waffle House, one night, and I'd bet the world would be a better place by dawn.....
wrfc5
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/03/15 15:54:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

I really enjoy the hash browns there. Covered and smothered and well please (that means with cheese, onions and cooked well done).

Even better if you add jalepenos!
wrfc5
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/03/15 16:09:10 (permalink)
quote:

I, for one, am not tired of this topic. Though I'm from the North (NJ)I first ate at a WF in Nashville, and have been a fan ever since. Though they do have the Best hash Browns, I like the fact that they have SWEET TEA. That is rare north of NC. The quatlity of the tea varies depending on how far north on gets, but still, it aint bad. The only bad experience I had was at one in Fredereick MD, and the food was good, the service was kind of lack luster. The Double T Diner down the road is a great non-WH place for any meal, but I'll save that for another topic.
Matt

We do have sweet tea here in Virginia, but if you venture farther north, you're pretty much out of luck. I have a good friend from North Carolina who, when offered "sweetened" or "unsweetened" tea, rolls his eyes in mock horror. Apparently, down there, its just understood that there is only one way to drink it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/03/15 19:38:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wrfc5

quote:

Matt

We do have sweet tea here in Virginia, but if you venture farther north, you're pretty much out of luck. I have a good friend from North Carolina who, when offered "sweetened" or "unsweetened" tea, rolls his eyes in mock horror. Apparently, down there, its just understood that there is only one way to drink it.

Here in Ohio sweet tea is available in many places, including all Waffle Houses, and at Skyline Chili.
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/05/30 02:42:37 (permalink)
Has anyone been to one of the Indiana Waffle Houses? There are I think 4 of them in Indiana. The other waffle house chain is called Waffle and Steak in Indiana.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3967
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/06/01 14:16:35 (permalink)
On my recent cross-country roadtrip I ate at the Waffle House for the first and second times ever. I was very unimpressed by the steak sandwich I had one night (sort of a poor imitation of a Philly Cheesesteak) but I did enjoy the waffle I had for breakfast at another time.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/06/01 14:36:25 (permalink)
Waffle House is a good place for us to eat while traveling. My daughter does not care for breakfast type foods, so even at 7:00 in the morning, she can order a grilled chicken sandwich instead of the typical bacon and eggs for breakfast. Most of the Waffle Houses, we have found are pretty good. I think that the waffles always smell good while they are cooking.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/06/07 11:10:57 (permalink)
After reading all of the responses to the Waffle House Forum, we decided to eat at Waffle House this past Saturday. I had a Waffle and sausage patties which were both very good with the maple syrup.
My husband had the Breakfast special-waffle, 2 eggs, sausage, grits,
toast and jelly for 5.99 which he said was very safisfying. But toast and waffles both seemed a little much bread. My daughter of course had a chicken melt which she claims is the best. Over all , it was all very good and the staff was very attentive and friendly.
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/06/07 14:04:20 (permalink)
I've always liked Waffle House for breakfast and had never tried anything other than the ordinary.....but after reading so many of your comments regarding the hashbrowns smothered, covered and topped, I had to try it. We went last night for a light Sunday night supper and the hashbrowns were superb! I've learned so much here and that is one of the best things I've learned so far....now will never have just toast and bacon again. It's hashbrowns all the way!

Thanks for the tip all of you.

Donna
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/06/07 15:15:38 (permalink)
You mean you didn't get them peppered?
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/06/07 16:31:21 (permalink)
Next time....peppered or maybe all the way with everything but the kitchen sink! They were gooooood!

Donna
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/06/07 17:45:52 (permalink)
Hiram Callahan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/06/09 17:49:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Donna Douglass

I've always liked Waffle House for breakfast and had never tried anything other than the ordinary.....but after reading so many of your comments regarding the hashbrowns smothered, covered and topped, I had to try it. We went last night for a light Sunday night supper and the hashbrowns were superb! I've learned so much here and that is one of the best things I've learned so far....now will never have just toast and bacon again. It's hashbrowns all the way!

Thanks for the tip all of you.

Donna

Only on this website could a meal involving Waffle House Hash Browns be desribed as "light."

As for me, I'm breaking a three-day trip to Pittsburgh at Carlisle, PA twice, so I can eat at the closest WH to me (New York City) as many as four times in two stops.

Sweet.
mrsbuffer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/06/25 12:38:50 (permalink)
Waffle House is nasty. Mrbuffer and I ate at the one on the NC-SC border right near Myrtle Beach last year and it was horrendous. I was quite surprised because I'd heard so many good things about it. Maybe I hit it on a bad day.

I have to interject, though, that there are two place near my house that mrbuffer and I hit regularly for breakfast. The first is the Blue Horizon Diner in Monticello, N.Y. on Rt 42 right near the exit to the Quickway; they have THE BEST blueberry pancakes!

The second, and don't scoff because it's a chain, is Perkins in Matamoras, PA, right off I-84. Our usual is the eggs and biscuits with gravy (eggs easy over, sausage links for me and bacon for mrbuffer.) Yes, it's not the healthiest thing on the menu but it's good.

Peace out,
Marita
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1087
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/06/25 14:44:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Montecarlolsus

Has anyone been to one of the Indiana Waffle Houses? There are I think 4 of them in Indiana. The other waffle house chain is called Waffle and Steak in Indiana.

Since I grew up in Indiana, their version of the waffle house was the only one I ever tried until I moved to Ohio. It was always our post football game hang out in high school. It is definitely different than the national chain. For one thing, they did not have all the different methods of fixing the hash browns. They did have decent biscuits and gravy and if I remeber correctly they had one thing that was something like Hoosier style eggs benedict that used cheese sauce instead of hollendaise.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: How about waffle house ? 2004/06/28 01:25:23 (permalink)

Here in Ohio sweet tea is available in many places, including all Waffle Houses, and at Skyline Chili.

I've never even been offered sweet tea in a Skyline Chili in Ohio. Which one do you frequent? I tend to like my tea sweetened if I'm south of the Mason Dixon line, but I've found that it can be made drinkable if you order it as a half and half up north. The farther away from the line you get, the sweeter the tea seems to get. I'd like to try it alongside a Skyline 3-way.
As for the original Waffle House topic, my family and I ate at the then new Waffle house on Rt. 9 in Wilder, KY, on a regular basis after it opened several years ago. The service and food was great and the restaurant was spotless at first, but things gradually settled into a rapid downhill ride. On our last trip there, the "manager" had comandeered the juke box and was giving the whole place a "concert" of his favorite Brooks & Dunn songs as he ran the grill. The place was filthy, our order got screwed up three times, and the heat was broken. It was so bad that we had to eat in our winter coats. We've never been back. I'd be willing to give it another chance, but my wife doesn't forgive that easily.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1