The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

How about waffle house ?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 7 of 13, messages 181 to 210 of 385
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
RE: How about waffle house ? Mon, 11/8/04 5:25 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hondamototech

Hi all, I had a waffle House experience today that will never be forgotten.

As a huge Waffle House fan I was appalled by the experience you reported. I called the owner of the Waffle House franchise for my area and ended up e-mailing your comments to her. She called me back to let me know that she contacted the corporate headquarters in Georgia.

Good luck, and don't give up on Waffle House.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: How about waffle house ? Mon, 11/8/04 5:36 PM (permalink)

My gripe with waffle House has nothing to do with the food...In fact everytime I have eaten at one of their stores it was quite good. Here is my gripe---
    Their booths and counter seats are locked in place, meaning there is no adjustment possible for someone who tends toward the "Larger Than Life".
    I have found at SOME places they have some free standing chairs and will permit me to sit in the aisle facing the end of the table in the booth we occupy.
    I know I am outside "the Norm" but there are a lot of folks in my 'size' who probably skip W H (I do skip them quite a bit) because they have no place to sit. Too Bad too, Their breakfasts are above average on the whole.

Sundancer7

RE: How about waffle house ? Mon, 11/8/04 5:42 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

My gripe with waffle House has nothing to do with the food...In fact everytime I have eaten at one of their stores it was quite good. Here is my gripe---
      Their booths and counter seats are locked in place, meaning there is no adjustment possible for someone who tends toward the "Larger Than Life".
      I have found at SOME places they have some free standing chairs and will permit me to sit in the aisle facing the end of the table in the booth we occupy.
      I know I am outside "the Norm" but there are a lot of folks in my 'size' who probably skip W H (I do skip them quite a bit) because they have no place to sit. Too Bad too, Their breakfasts are above average on the whole.

Mr. Mayor, you are correct in stating the the WH is not flexible with those of us who need extra space. I wish they did!!! I love their food and I enjoy their menu. They seem to be hung up with a particular format of a small size and layout. I do not enjoy their smoking policy but I sure do enjoy their food.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

Pogo

• Total Posts: 269
        RE: How about waffle house ? Mon, 11/8/04 7:15 PM (permalink)
        Have any of y'all ever wondered if the reason they keep it so cold inside is so people will get cold and leave quickly?

StevePoOo

• Total Posts: 6
          RE: How about waffle house ? Wed, 11/10/04 2:24 AM (permalink)
          my dad used to manage & cook at a WH so i know; it's kept kool bc the cook would over heat if it wasn't

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
            RE: How about waffle house ? Fri, 11/12/04 5:36 PM (permalink)
            We could easily solve the country's crime problem by surrounding the WH's and arresting the inhabitants.

carl reitz

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
              RE: How about waffle house ? Tue, 11/16/04 8:50 PM (permalink)
              Agree with Carlton. Still love Waffle house but only eat there mid to late morning. Way too dangerous in the middle of tthe night

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                RE: How about waffle house ? Tue, 11/16/04 9:43 PM (permalink)
                I was at a WH last week, and saw a woman tip the cook $50. Days later, he is still talking about that. My breakfast of choice is hash browns, scattered all the way.

rwschemquest

• Total Posts: 65
                  RE: How about waffle house ? Sun, 12/12/04 5:54 PM (permalink)
                  ALL the Waffle Houses I have been to lately all have non-smoking sections (albeit not really seperate from the rest of the place). Here in Columbus, OH we recently had a public referendum that overwhelmingly will make ALL restaurants, bars and any public buildings 100% NON-SMOKING as of January 1, 2005. WAFFLE HOUSE will become even better without those gross disgusting little stainless stell ashtrays everywhere.

Also, wish they would accept credit cards.

Don't miss the T-Bone Steak. read someplace they serve more T-Bones than anyplace in the worlds.

If you are in the Columbus, OH area, avoid the WH's at 161 and Westerville Road and also the one on 161 at I71 in the wee hours (2-4:30AM) unless your idea of entertainment is listening to the hookers talk about their evenings on their way back home. However, the hash browns are still fantastic, even at that hour.

My fave breakfast is two eggs (over easy of course), double order of hash browns (scattered of course), bacon, WHITE toast and NO GRITS. Everything has just the right level of grease and you can watch them cook everything right before you eyes. The juke box even has some special country tunes ABOUT WAFFLE HOUSE which seem to make the food taste even better.
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by scbuzz

My only real gripe with both WH and HH, is that they allow smoking anywhere in the resturant. Now I'm not really down on smokers, but I really hate to sit in a resturant and have someone sit right behind me and start smoking. Kinda ruins the food enjoyment for me!

And I was not aware that Huddle house had been around that long. I guess they are just kind of new to my area.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5357
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: How about waffle house ? Tue, 12/14/04 5:45 AM (permalink)
                    I too am of the 4x persausion and don't readily fit in the WH booths. I tend to get there at slower times and sit at one of the chairs. They usually have 4 to 6 chair seats and I do fit the stools at the front bar.

Our county went smokeless about 2 years ago and it is a blessing!

My current favorite breakfast is triple HBs scattered and 3 eggs over easy. Quitting time in 15 minutes and I know where I'm going...

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5357
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: How about waffle house ? Tue, 12/14/04 5:46 AM (permalink)
                      Off of a friends calendar

YOU MIGHT BE A REDNECK IF...

You've ever slow danced in a WH

a noid

• Total Posts: 45
                        RE: How about waffle house ? Wed, 12/15/04 11:47 AM (permalink)
                        Fast, not fancy...any port in a storm.

SouthHillbilly

• Total Posts: 295
                          RE: How about waffle house ? Wed, 01/26/05 1:39 AM (permalink)
                          I really like Waffle House. Their food is consistently good. . . good quality ingredients and well prepared. Very reasonable prices. Watching a good Waffle House cook is worth the price of the meal. watched a guy last year someplace between Tampa and Naples who was flipping eggs, slinging hash, frying bacon and tossing home fries as good as any diner chef I remember as a kid growing up in the mid Atlantc diner belt in the 50s.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                            RE: How about waffle house ? Wed, 01/26/05 5:26 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by SouthHillbilly

Watching a good Waffle House cook is worth the price of the meal.

Ditto.

This "debate" will never end, but many of you know that I'm on the "Waffle House side". They are unique as a chain in that each one seems to have it's own "feel". Walk into a McDonald's anywhere in the country, and you feel like you're in a McDonald's. Walk into a Waffle House, and it feels like a local diner.

Another fun thing is to listen to the waitresses talk about their personal lives.

Sundancer7

RE: How about waffle house ? Wed, 01/26/05 6:12 PM (permalink)
                              Like Bushie, the Sundancer is on record as being a Waffle House fan. I too like to watch the cook work. Most of the time it is poetry in motion. I could never do what they do. It is like they have four tight arms and four left arms. They got something going on all the time. I do not think there is a thing on their menu that I do not like.

Since there are so many of them, I am sure that some of you will come across some that do not meet your expectations. That is the bell curve with everything. In my opnion that average better than any other chain around.

My main event with them is breakfast. Their hashbrowns are the best I have ever had. I usually get them with their steak and eggs. Since I have been doing the Atkins thing, I tend to leave out the hashbrowns which I enjoy so much.

As Bushie indicated, the debate will probably always continue but I am on record indicating my enjoyment of this fine, handy and tasty place.

Paul E. Smith
                              Knoxville, TN

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                                RE: How about waffle house ? Wed, 01/26/05 7:29 PM (permalink)
                                Like The Mayor,I am a rather large person and my complaint is the same,most are very uncomfortable. In Tampa,we have several but only one has stools that swivel. I kinda like the place,breakfasts are good and cheap. In fairness to WH,their stores are small and accomodations for folks like me are probably prohibitive from a economic viewpoint,I can't fault them for that.

Michael Hoffman

RE: How about waffle house ? Wed, 01/26/05 8:18 PM (permalink)
                                  Most know that I'm a big Waffle House fan. In fact, I consider Waffle House to be Roadfood. I know it's a chain, but I also know that you can walk in and get things made the way you want them, with fast and very friendly service.

This morning I walked into my Waffle House and ordered four poached eggs on wheat toast, hash browns scattered, smothered (with onions), peppered (with sliced jalapenos) and topped (chili), and a slice of country ham on the side. Now, they don't have it on the menu, but the grill cook turned around and asked me (I was sitting at the counter) if I'd like some redeye gravy with my ham. I said yes, and he proceeded to make some.

That's Roadfood, folks. That's Roadfood.

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
                                    RE: How about waffle house ? Wed, 01/26/05 9:23 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Most know that I'm a big Waffle House fan. In fact, I consider Waffle House to be Roadfood. I know it's a chain, but I also know that you can walk in and get things made the way you want them, with fast and very friendly service.

This morning I walked into my Waffle House and ordered four poached eggs on wheat toast, hash browns scattered, smothered (with onions), peppered (with sliced jalapenos) and topped (chili), and a slice of country ham on the side. Now, they don't have it on the menu, but the grill cook turned around and asked me (I was sitting at the counter) if I'd like some redeye gravy with my ham. I said yes, and he proceeded to make some.

That's Roadfood, folks. That's Roadfood.

Yes, indeed.

Michael Hoffman

RE: How about waffle house ? Sun, 01/30/05 1:14 PM (permalink)
                                      From the For Whatever It's Worth Department: The nothernmost Waffle House is located in Toledo, Ohio at 42 degrees latitude.

Waquoit

• Total Posts: 2
                                        RE: How about waffle house ? Sun, 01/30/05 10:50 PM (permalink)
                                        Last time I went to a Waffle House I sat at the counter and ordered eggs and hash browns with onions. Everything came on one plate, the potatoes were covered in that nasty orange cheese. I said, "Excuse me, I ordered onions on the hash browns, not cheese." The waitress doesn't say a word, grabs my plate and my knife and proceeds to scrape the potatoes into the waste basket at my feet. She than throws the plate and knife back at me. A few minutes later she throws a separate plate of hash browns at me. I thought that was the Waffle House way. No thanks.

Michael Hoffman

RE: How about waffle house ? Sun, 01/30/05 11:44 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Waquoit

Last time I went to a Waffle House I sat at the counter and ordered eggs and hash browns with onions. Everything came on one plate, the potatoes were covered in that nasty orange cheese. I said, "Excuse me, I ordered onions on the hash browns, not cheese." The waitress doesn't say a word, grabs my plate and my knife and proceeds to scrape the potatoes into the waste basket at my feet. She than throws the plate and knife back at me. A few minutes later she throws a separate plate of hash browns at me. I thought that was the Waffle House way. No thanks.

Sounds terrible. I wonder, thouoght, how one can order hasbrowns with onions at the Waffle House. If you want onions with the potatoes you have to order them scattered and smothered.

Rex Allen

• Total Posts: 157
                                            RE: How about waffle house ? Mon, 01/31/05 2:35 AM (permalink)
                                            I have only eaten at one Wafffle House. I believe in Arkansas, some where. My daughter took me there because she likes their coffee. It was not bad, but not a lot of food. Rex in San Diego.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                                              RE: How about waffle house ? Sun, 02/20/05 12:53 AM (permalink)
                                              This topic seems to have died out but oh well... Waffle house is a great roadfood palace and just about the only place you can get decent food at any hour and for those families on a budget, everyone can get what they want (expect maybe for that one you swear cant be yours) Hashbrowns scattered covered smothered peppered etc etc and a two inch thick whipped omelet and a side of georgia ice cream dripping with butter, havoc on the cholestrol but...... and the coffee is about the best you can find on the road except maybe TA truckstops... Waffle house is an early morning(3am)must before heading out to the gulfstream for a day of fishing or those nights you wake up hungry as a bear and dont want to wake the family.. at 6'4 and 280 pounds the booths are a lil tight but I just sit cattycornered and stretch out anyway. Huddle House is almost as good but there aren't as many around north florida. Somebody mentioned Cracker Barrel..pleaseeeeeeeee a 30 minute wait on the "porch" and the gravy is bland, the rolls heavy and the grits like wallpaper paste, not to mention the prices belong in some(shudder) NYC bistro!! I can fill the table with good grub a cherry coke and a bottomless cuppa joe for 10 or 12 bucks at waffle house, now THATS roadfood!! Thats real food hmmm.. its 2am..off to clog the arteries!!

SouthHillbilly

RE: How about waffle house ? Thu, 02/24/05 10:15 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by carlton pierre

We could easily solve the country's crime problem by surrounding the WH's and arresting the inhabitants.

carl reitz

I've been to many Waffle House restaurants in many parts of the south and have never had any sort of unsavory experience. I usually have my family with me and never hesitate to stop.

I wonder why anyone would make such a comment. Could it be some personal dislike, prejudice or racist attitude? Just curious.

Michael Hoffman

RE: How about waffle house ? Thu, 02/24/05 10:27 AM (permalink)
                                                  dreamzpainter, you're a man after my own heart.

Michael Hoffman

RE: How about waffle house ? Thu, 02/24/05 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by rwschemquest

If you are in the Columbus, OH area, avoid the WH's at 161 and Westerville Road and also the one on 161 at I71 in the wee hours (2-4:30AM) unless your idea of entertainment is listening to the hookers talk about their evenings on their way back home. However, the hash browns are still fantastic, even at that hour.

While I haven't been to the Waffle House at 161 and I-71 in quite a while I do frequent the one at 161 and Westerville Road. And, while I always see police officers inside eating and drinking coffee I have not yet had the good fortune to run into any hard-working women doing their best to earn livings, other than those waiting tables and working the grill.

I can't help wondering whether you assume that any woman having something to eat during the early-morning hours is a woman of ill repute. I know that the three registered nurses who got off work at 2:30 the other morning at St. Ann's and were having coffee in said Waffle House would sort of resent the fact that you might consider them to be anything less than pillars of their community.

SouthHillbilly

• Location: Alum Creek, WV
                                                      RE: How about waffle house ? Fri, 02/25/05 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                                      "I'm just curious how in the world you could possibly sniff out racism in the original post."

Paulie, In the south, there is a disproportionate number of African-Americans in the food service industry. In this environment, Waffle house stands out. They boast that over 1/3 of their management staff is minorities. I would venture to guess that over 1/2 of their cook and wait staff is also minorities. Often, you will go into a Waffle House and the entire staff will be African-American.
                                                      No matter where, when or who, I have always gotten good food and friendly service at Waffle House with no hassles either outside or inside at all hours of the day and night.

Since it came with no explanation, THAT is why I question the comment:
                                                      "We could easily solve the country's crime problem by surrounding the WH's and arresting the inhabitants."
                                                      I just smells funny, and the odor is familiar.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                                        • Location: Newberry, FL
                                                        RE: How about waffle house ? Fri, 02/25/05 10:58 AM (permalink)
                                                        I had Waffle House at 3a this morning. It was fantastic. Not crowded, food was served in NO time. I had steak rare, 2 eggs over easy, double order of hash browns, toast. The staff was outstanding as well. Restaurant was clean, can't comment on the restrooms this trip. I'd could use a repeat about now.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                                                          • Location: jacksonville, FL
                                                          RE: How about waffle house ? Sat, 02/26/05 4:21 PM (permalink)
                                                          The disparaging comments about WH's late night denizens seems totally without cause! Perhaps the haughty taughty commentator just looks down on all regular people with disdain. My most recent weekly visit was shared with a truckdriver, a pair of policemen, a small family and a couple of construction workers.

ctfrasier

• Total Posts: 253
                                                            • Location: nashville, TN
                                                            RE: How about waffle house ? Mon, 03/14/05 4:21 PM (permalink)
                                                            I love Waffle House! I'm a legacy, though. My dad cannot pass a Waffle House without at least stopping for coffee. I grew up on the stuff as a kid then sobered up on it as a college student. My meal of choice is the chopped stak and eggs with my hashbrowns covered, but not scattered.

As for Huddle House, I have never been impressed. Maybe it is just those in middle and east Tennessee, but the food never seems to come close to the Waffle House standard. I think they try to do too many things like pot raost and other country-style foods for anything to be great. But it may just come down to local management as others have said.

I see someone talking about the Loveless Cafe here in Nashville. It has recently re-opened after being closed for renovations. Some locals are not very happy it was bought by a corparation so the food may not be what you remember. Another great breakfast in Nashville at the Hermitage Cafe on Hermitage Ave, just outside of downtown. The building looks pretty grungy but the breakfast is great!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 7 of 13, messages 181 to 210 of 385

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com