How about waffle house ?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 13
Author
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 636
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/07/11 10:11:33 (permalink)
Had the opportunity to visit the WH for breakfast over the weekend; it had been too long since I'd been there. Great pecan waffle, decent sausage. I always ask them to ccok both well; as I like a little crispiness to each item. While I'll admit the quality in a WH has a lot to do with the cooks, it seems overall the quality of the place is better the further south you go....

Another plus, it's one of the few places north of Kentucky - Tennessee that you can get grits.
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/07/12 08:17:50 (permalink)
Read most of this thread.

Comments...not to be too PC but I dislike Cracker barrels on a few different food levels...food quality, price to quantity ratio and overall product delivery but their staunch anti-gay stance just puts me off. Too much a social liberal I guess.

Waffle House...Ah...two over easy, double browns well, dry whole wheat and no meat. Just water, thank you.

Consistant and stable although the cigarette smokers have run me out before ordering on occassion. Just occassionaly I have walked into a WH and there was a fog at about chest level...coffee to go please.
rachel d
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/07/19 23:37:52 (permalink)
We moved here from Alabama in 1990; Hubby was here for a military course, and barely got two days' leave to come get me, since Desert Storm had cut loose just before. We had our Alabama Christmas with the family on Christmas Eve and got up at 4 a.m. on Christmas Day and set out on our 12-hour journey. We carried snacks and I seem to remember eating something along the way, but by the time we got way up I-65 into Tennessee from the Alabama coast, it was past lunchtime, and NOTHING was open.

We just kept looking at signs and food ads, and then there would be the empty parking lots. FINALLY, way up in the mountains, a little Waffle House stood, welcoming all travelers in that icy day. We stopped, though the line was way out the door into the parking lot. BUT, apparently they had called in all their staff, because cheery waitresses in elf-hats were outside, distributing coffee and juice to everyone waiting their turn. People with newspapers shared sections with others waiting in line. Some folks were sharing pictures of their grandchildren, and a couple of the waiting people were showing perfect strangers through their Winnebagos.
The waitresses asked singles and couples to join up and share a table or booth, and the crowded conditions just added to the festivity. They kept the jukebox playing Christmas tunes, the coffee pot constantly circulating, and the laughter was contagious. I suppose we had our "usual" breakfast that day--waffles, eggs, bacon for him, Denver & raisin toast for me--but what we ate was the least memorable part of the whole experience.

We were a part of a moment that was like no other, a gathering of strangers from all parts, a group of hungry travelers, all far from home on that most blessed of days, sharing a meal and the warmth and laughter of a wayside restaurant. Nobody was grumpy with the crowding and the waiting; nobody complained about standing out in the cold or having to sit in the smoking section. We all smiled and reached out and shared the festivity of the day in a much more meaningful way than consuming food and paying the check.

We go to Waffle House now and then--but ALWAYS on a Saturday in December, one of us will say "Waffle House Day?" and the other will smile and say yes. We go and sit and eat our meal, remembering the day that we all found refuge and a meal in that small, crowded room which fed us with more than waffles.
rachel d
Junior Burger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/07/20 00:02:04 (permalink)
Gotta Go!!! I just mentioned what I was writing about to Hubby and that I was wanting a waffle, and he said LET'S GO!!! We're not dressed for going out, I just threw on my sandals, and that's just what WH is all about.

plb
  • Total Posts : 1037
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/07/20 00:33:57 (permalink)
rachel d,

Great and touching story, welcome to Roodfood!

plb
Bonzmoose
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/07/20 00:41:25 (permalink)
What a heartwarming story, rachel d. Being retired military we have traveled on too many Christmases and can appreciate your adventure and memories. We enjoy eating at Waffle House from time to time. In fact, late at night, it's fun to go out for a waffle or burger and hash browns, scattered, smothered and covered. I'm getting hungry right now.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/07/21 00:30:56 (permalink)
After all the sniping about WH, Rachel, that's the first post that made me sorry we don't have them around here in Colorado.
Waltergiant
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/07/23 21:21:47 (permalink)
I travel a lot and am always happy when I am in a state with a Waffle House. Sad to say, there are none where I live.

I recall there being some locations with an all-you-can-eat menu, but I haven't seen that lately.

Hash Browns all the way, pecan waffle, orange juice...
Meridian
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/07/31 12:41:39 (permalink)
I have eaten at different breakfast eateries from Hawaii to Pennsylvania and the review I provide is not based on a single experience, but the overall, consistent experience at each of the franchises listed. Almost without exception (one or two) this has been my experience:

Waffle House

Eggs: Poor preparation, no matter how you order them they always cook (or rather, not) them the same way...the egg whites raw (a good way to get salmonella poisoning! ) and runny. If I ordered them over-medium they were cooked soft on the outside with egg white still raw in the center. If I order them over-medium well, about the same, very little distinction. If I order them over-well they are scorched and crisp on the outside, but still raw on the inside (how can this be?! ridiculous!). How well you prepare eggs is a defining characteristic of a fine cook, but, it's not that difficult.

Bacon/sausage: Very good. This is one of a few things they do well.

Coffee: Hard to beat. Not weak, but not too strong. Just right.

Waffles: Similar to eggs. You would think this being their namesake that special emphasis on excellence would be the order of the day. However, sadly, it is not. If you don't specify, it will likely not be browned at all and often still wet in the center. I've learned to order my waffle "dark to extra dark" to try to get it rich golden brown medium. However, sometimes, it comes to me burnt to a crisp(where's the consistency?)! I only continue to patronize Waffle House because when they get it right, there is nothing like a Waffle House waffle and because of their hash browns.

Hash Browns: Second to none. This is where they shine. The variety of style is what makes their hash browns wonderful. They are also seemingly always cooked perfectly. Why can't they do this with everything else? Then again, it's hard to screw up hash browns.

Toast: Never had a problem here.

Grits: Satisfactory. Never bad, but nothing to write home to mama about either.

Service: About average.

I can only comment on these items because I never eat anything else at a Waffle House.

Cracker Barrel

Eggs: I've only eaten at a half dozen different locations, but they have always been very consistent. The eggs are always perfect!

Pancakes: Excellent (in fact, better than IHOP!). The pancakes are sufficiently fluffy, moist and still retaining enough cohesiveness that you don't end up eating a mass of syrupy crumbs with a spoon! This is because they don't use that miserable "just add water" pancake batter.

Bacon/Sausage: Very good. Offer a choice of pork or turkey sausage both of which have good flavor and not too spicy.

Hash browns: Mediocre, however, the Hashbrown Casserole is excellent.

Coffee: Mediocre. A little weak and bitter.

other items have been very good and the service always excellent.

IHOP

:

Pancakes: You would think this being their specialty it would be the best. This, however, is not the case. They use a "just add water" pancake batter (see pancakes under Cracker Barrel). The pancakes are fluffy, but dry and crumbly. The crepes are a little better, but not consistent. The variety and flavor of the crepes is still very good.

Omelettes: Outstanding! The best omelette I've ever had is their Chicken Fajita omelette.

Coffee: Good.

Sausage/bacon: Bacon is very good. They serve link sausages, which I don't like period, so I can't offer an objective assessment here.

other: Their skillet dishes are excellent. One I particularly like is the Machaca, a blend of several meats, eggs, patatoes, onion and peppers.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/07/31 12:48:52 (permalink)
Amazing. I've never had eggs badly cooked at a Waffle House. I always order my fried eggs over medium and they come with cooked and properly-runny yolks and thoroughly cooked whites. Waffles? I've never seen a waffle there that was wet in the center, regardless of whether you get one light or dark.
V960
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/08/01 16:18:15 (permalink)
Strangely because I eat in WF's so often I've had EVERTYTHING wrongly cooked at one time or another. Argued w/ a cook just last week that over medium did NOT mean scrambled and rock hard. Waitress came to the rescue and cooked them properly. He threw down his apron and walked out...everyone in the place just laughed.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 636
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/08/01 16:29:41 (permalink)
I like WH a lot; better than Cracker Barrel, for sure. Had breakfast there last week. My only complaint, ever, is that sometimes you get too much butter (margerine) on the grits. I like to add my own, and don't want them to come swimming.

If I tell them over light, I get it. If I say well done, no problem.

Eggs, grits, and toast for $2.30 is the best deal around, too.
V960
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/08/02 09:46:10 (permalink)
Coffe Cup in Charlotte has this same problem. Ask for grits w/ NO butter and the bowl comes w/ at least a 1/2 inch of margarine on top. Been that way for twenty years. They've changed hands so many times in the past three years I don't even go anymore.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/08/02 11:20:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

Strangely because I eat in WF's so often I've had EVERTYTHING wrongly cooked at one time or another. Argued w/ a cook just last week that over medium did NOT mean scrambled and rock hard. Waitress came to the rescue and cooked them properly. He threw down his apron and walked out...everyone in the place just laughed.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest I've never had anything impro0perly cooked at a Waffle House. I'm in a Waffle House several times a week for one thing or another, and I've had steak overdone, eggs overdone (never underdone) and hash browns cooked till crisp. But as a Waffle House devotee since 1972 I must say that with few exceptions everything I've ordered has been served as requested.
Rt66Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/08/03 21:24:58 (permalink)
I love the Waffle House...Been eating there since I was a little kid, and a couple of the waitresses at the WH in my home town have been working there for 20+ years, and still remember me, even though I only get there every few months, since I now live about 45 miles away.

Right now, I am severely jonesing for scrambled eggs, hash browns scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, and topped, with rasin toast, grits, and the world famous waffle....No wonder I'm fat!

The Waffle House is certainly a good place to see interesting people. One of the fellow regulars at my local WH sports an eye patch, and many tatoos, another looks like a greaser that stepped straight out of 1956. And there are students, stoners, and every other plausable kind of interesting person.

I remember about five years ago, I was managing a RadioShack store, and finished with my regular inventory at about 3am on Thanksgiving Morning, and I took my crew out there. Everyone was talking to each other, people were singing along in unison with the Waffle House songs being played on the jukebox. We were all slap happy tired, and the place was so packed that it took nearly an hour to get our food, but I can't recall a time where I had more fun at any resturant.

Long live the Waffle House!!!
little dog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/06 21:15:44 (permalink)
I'm from CT and I love Waffle House. I get a waffle, bacon, and hashbrown, scattered and covered. When will waffle house be in CT????
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/07 01:10:00 (permalink)
There are no Waffle Houses in Portland. Have loved Waffle House since the 70"s. Love the Hash Browns. I eat mine with everything, including jalapenos. My wife loves it and my son loved it on his first visit last year. Always stop in one when we are in a state with Waffle House.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/09 11:23:33 (permalink)
Waffle House? ugh.

I call it the Aweful House.

Look, it's not hard to cook eggs. Having eggs taste good, is not hard.
I'm not saying there's no need for an Aweful House, but in my experience, the Aweful Houses I've been to were old and dingy.

The food was mediocre, and for breakfast, the grits were wretched. And this is at a couple different Aweful Houses.

I no longer patron of Aweful Houses. If I want a greasy spoon and am not sure of a good local joint, I'll find a Silver Diner or Johnny Rockets.

There's a great mini-chain in and around State College, PA (about 4 restaurants) call the Waffle Shop. The one in downtown State College near the university is fantastic. Long waits on football Saturday and sunday mornings, but worth it.

If you're even in the Northern VA area, I suggest Amphora's on rt. 123 which is called Maple Ave in Vienna VA. An old style fine dining diner (if that's possible) that's open 24hrs. It's close to I-66.

I'll infrindge a little copyright and give you the Washingtonian's review. (you can also read it for yourself at http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/Profiles/amphoras.html )

This gem is worth a drive: There's a cocktail bar; the waiters wear white coats and bow ties; they bring you bakery-fresh sun-dried-tomato or cranberry-walnut bread; they serve peanut-butter pancakes. Open 24-7, Amphora has 350 menu choices, all available at any time of day.
It might not feel cheap, but it is. Diner fare includes a deluxe burger with full fixings and fries for $6.59 and a western omelet for $6.29. Falafel, gyros, and souvlaki are under $9. The place also does fancy: The Arna chicken, with feta, garlic, cinnamon, and tomatoes, is $11.59 and comes with a salad. The fried filet of sole sandwich is $9.99, peanut-butter pancakes are $5.49, cheese blintzes $6.29. Leave room for dessert, like the $4.69 homemade cheesecakes or the $5.29 chunky chocolate mousse.

I hope Michael Stern will do a review of it someday.
rachel d
Junior Burger
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/13 01:11:47 (permalink)
We had a party photo shoot on Saturday night, and after loading all the equipment into the car and getting back on the road, it was almost 12:30. I'd been promising myself a cheeseburger all evening, as the food at the party DID NOT equal the lively spirits, the GREAT band, or the congenial crowd. Neither Hubby nor I partook of the soggy, greasy buffet, and we were starving by midnight.

We drove a block, pulled into Arby's at 12:36, said "Hello" into the lighted voiceboard, and a grumpy voice shouted, "WE'RE CLOSED!!" (The door sign said 1 a.m., because we pulled back around and checked. The next three places were also still lit, but locked tight, though their hours were plainly posted, and it was not closing time).

With each in and out of the drive-through, we were more and more disappointed, and finally I said, "By &*#$, if the whole town's closed down, we've got a WAFFLE HOUSE right over near our house!" And Hubby chimed in with, "YEAH!!!"

So we finally arrived at WH about 1:45, took our weary bodies and sleepy heads into a booth, and were greeted cheerfully, as always, by a tiny chirpy woman with a black napkin pinned on her head. I have never figured out the reason for that---it's certainly not for sanitary reasons, because the little scrap of fabric barely floats above their hairdos. And not to take away from my dear Waffle House, I always think of those old British movies where the hanging judge throws one of those little black squares atop his wacky white wig just before sending the guy to the gallows.

Anyway, we settled in, ordered decaf, which was brought hot and fragrant and perfect, and selected his usual waffle and eggs and bacon and grits, with my Fiesta and raisin toast and a shared S&S. For some reason I asked if the Fiesta (WHY do I remember its being called something else? Denver? Western?-- Fiesta just sounds strange now) has jalapenos. She said yes, but I didn't have to have them, so I said leave them out.

Our order arrived, and when she set down my omelet, a definite little dark circle was showing right through the tender browned top---not a bell pepper, for sure. I fork-tined out 12 of the little round demons before eating the omelet...I LIKE hot things, but had not intended to consume any at that time of night. And the moments they had spent in contact with that onion/cheese/eggy concoction were a nice addition---all the flavor and just a hint of the heat. It was really tasty, actually, quite a nice counterpoint to the bland grits and sweet raisin toast.

Our server came back with coffee, saw all the castaways on the rim of my plate, and gasped in dismay. "Oh, HON! Let me get you another one!!" But I was enjoying it, and Hubby was already well on his way with the waffle, etc., so I kept it. But it was nice of her to ask.

We finished our breakfast/dinner and got home to bed about 3:30---quite a nice evening, with lots of dancing and happy people and a nice meal of comfort food to soothe our weary selves. You can always depend on Waffle House to be just what it is.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/13 10:33:17 (permalink)
I think the pleasure you had was due to the fact you were starving.

here's the points I got out of your experience:

1) it was the only place open

2) it was 1:45am and you hadn't eaten since lunchtime

3) the waitstaff wears napkins on their heads.

4) you didn't get what you ordered

4) the grits were bland

5) your meal (at a Waffle house no less) took nearly an hour and forty five minutes!

thank you for adding some more reasons to continue to steer clear of the Aweful House.
You're so right. You can depend on the Aweful House being the Aweful House, even late.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/13 13:37:52 (permalink)
I can't tell you how much I appreciate you staying away from Waffle House. It makes things so much more pleasant for the rest of us.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/13 16:58:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you staying away from Waffle House. It makes things so much more pleasant for the rest of us.

Thank you. I can't tell you how glad I am that I won't be seeing anybody at the waffle house either.

V960
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/14 17:03:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

Thank you. I can't tell you how glad I am that I won't be seeing anybody at the waffle house either.

I'm confused...is scorereader staying away from WH or just trying to scare people away so that he can flirt w/ the help?

I'll be the guy in the corner putting Heinz 57 on his crisp hash browns.

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/14 18:46:30 (permalink)
It's the napkins on their heads...so sexy.

Actually, I'm surprised some roadfood diehards frequent the WH so much.

I don't have a particular hateness for chains. Some chains I like. Usually the smaller ones like the Waffle Shop in Centre County, PA (in and around Penn State U.) and the Penn State Sub Shop.

But there are plenty of other chains that I like:
Darryl's Restaurant (which is owned by the parent corp. of Houlihan's),
Chipotle (authentic or not),
Maggiano's Little Italy,
Bread and Chocolate,
Cheesecake Factory,
Hard Times Cafe,
Rock Bottom Brewery,
Spaghetti Warehouse,
Ruth's Chris,
Five Guys,
Chadwicks,
Clyde's,
Starbuck's Coffee,
Silver Diner,
Faccia Luna (very small chain)
Ben and Jerry's

and there are probably others.

I've had soooo many bad experiences at several different Waffle Houses, that I just can't think of a situation where I'd go to one.

Before going to Waffle House here are some chains I think are better:

Silver Diner
Johnny Rockets
Original Pancake House
Friendly's
First Watch (FL)
Waffle Shop (PA)

and some more I can't remember. Probably been too long since I've been to it.

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/22 15:53:35 (permalink)
quote:

Way to keep the tone around here as nasty as possible. So much for the "regulars" keeping up the decorum.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/22 17:02:19 (permalink)
Decorum? You know, I trust, what you can do with your decorum.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/22 18:45:43 (permalink)

Recent Posters on this Thread....

Let's put on a smiley face and remember that Miss Manners will do BAD things to you if you get into aflaming session !!

Big (and I do mean BIG) Brother is watching !
Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/22 18:59:41 (permalink)
quote:

The speed as to how fast this entire forum is going DOWNHILL cannot be measured.

It's a shame, because it was really awesome a while back.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/22 19:15:44 (permalink)
Funny. I think this forum has some terrific posters aboard, and some terrific, meaningful and intelligent posts. In other words, there are good folks with interesting points of view. But, hey, what do I know? I'm a Waffle House fan.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: How about waffle house ? 2005/09/22 19:39:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wigo

quote:

The speed as to how fast this entire forum is going DOWNHILL cannot be measured.

It's a shame, because it was really awesome a while back.

Geez..............I must be on a different wave length because I was just starting to think it was really interesting.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1