How about waffle house ?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 13
Author
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
2003/03/07 08:46:21 (permalink)

How about waffle house ?

Does anybody else love waffle house like me. The cheese omelet is GREAT ! So thick and fluffy ! They whip it in a blender. Have not had any bad meals at waffle house. Waffles are good too.

384 Replies Related Threads

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2130
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/07 08:48:07 (permalink)
    I really enjoy the hash browns there. Covered and smothered and well please (that means with cheese, onions and cooked well done).
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/07 09:24:04 (permalink)
    I'm reluctant to admit it because I'm supposed to not like chain restaurants, but often times when I crave a small-tread waffle, which I much prefer to the Belgian kind, Waffle House is the only game in town. And I like it!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/07 10:04:44 (permalink)
    Love the waffles ! I always get the Pecan waffle. Great breakfast treat.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18665
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/07 12:22:19 (permalink)
    I'm a Waffle House fan. My breakfast is usually four eggs scrambled with cheese, potatoes, scattered, smothered (with onions), peppered (jalpeno slices) and topped (chili), with whole wheat toast. Sometimes, though, I'll get a few poached eggs on toast with grits.

I'm also a fan of their patty-melts, and Waffle House is one of the few places where I can get them to cook a patty of chopped meat rare.

And the coffee is great. Best of all, though, is the great show going on at the griddle. Half the fun of eating in a Waffle House is watching the grill people doing their thing.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/07 23:25:56 (permalink)
    The most memorable non-chain breakfast I've ever had was back in 1984 in Berea, KY, in a historically-styled little restaurant on the village square. The name of the restaurant escapes me, but it was staffed by college students and served up a really classy yet reasonably-priced breakfast. I had these amazing pecan pancakes with equally amazing real maple syrup and real butter. And fresh OJ. It was very memorable because 1) the taste and 2) the presentation. I have yet to encounter any Waffle House/IHOP/Denny's that could top a day-starter like that one!
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/09 12:44:51 (permalink)
    We've been fans of WH for years. They have good basic food and I love watching the cook work. Real models of memory and efficiency. How else could they get all those orders out so fast? We have also found that you can always get a good look at the locals as every WH we have ever been in seems to have a raft of regulars that come in. You can catch up on the local news while having breakfast.

One disturbing trend, however. I was in Birmingham a few months ago and had breakfast at a new WH. It seemed to have gone up scale with much more room than the normal roadside diners. I hope they don't go the Applebee's route or some such thing.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/10 09:43:16 (permalink)
    I have heard that the product varies between restaurants making it a hit or miss proposition. Any thoughts?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15305
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/10 10:36:59 (permalink)
    Kristi,
    You are talking about the Daniel Boone Inn in Berea, KY. It is a legendary foodstop, reviewed by Jane and Micheal's Grandparents in 1829, I believe..hehehe All kidding aside, it is a great stop for any meal.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/10 15:20:01 (permalink)
    I have eaten in a number of WH, and I must say that I have found them all consistent when it comes to food quality. Now quality of service is a different matter all together. Unfortunately I can't say that has been all that consistent.
    dt917
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/10 17:21:34 (permalink)
    Waffle House will always have a special place in my heart; I was driving from Massachusetts to Nashville to go to the Country Music Hall of Fame (by far the best Hall of Fame I've ever visited), when we decided to detour into the hills of eastern Tennessee to search for Melungeons (a mysterious and unique ethnic group that may or may not be descended from the doomed 16th century English colonists at Roanoke Island in what is now North Carolina). We didn't find any, and what's more, found ourselved in Knoxville, TN on Christmas Eve. Waffle House was the only place that was open, and my travelling companion and I were extremely grateful.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15305
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/10 17:56:42 (permalink)
    DT 917
    Did you ever find any reading material on that group? I have heard folktales, but haven't ever seen anything documented about their existence. There even was a segment on the PBS Appalachian Tales TV series. But I didn't get to follow up on it then either. One of the legends was that they also were desendants of some of DeSoto's explorers from his trip thru the Mississippi Valley. Please contact me off the boards as we are getting off-topic here.
    jennycola
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/17 13:21:46 (permalink)
    We don't have Waffle House in my area - I love Walker Brothers Original Pancake House in Wilmette, Illinois. Everything is good - omelets, pancakes, perfect eggs (hash browns aren't my favorite there), good sausage and bacon. It suits all the family tastebuds since they have chocolate chip pancakes too!
    Lawrence Siegfried
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/17 19:23:49 (permalink)
    Has anybody tried "Nifty Fifties" in Philly.. From what I understand it is a three store chain family owned... One is located in the Ironboud area in town... the others are on the outskirts.. The food is supream... the service even better.. the lines are long.. but worth the wait.... They have at least 40 flavors of Ice Cream.. and if you come up with a good one they will make it and post it on the menue... Only frest orange and grapefruit juices are served.. and I mean FRESH... right from the Bushel covered in chipped ice.. to a Giant Citrus Press, screwed right to the counter in front of you... directly to your glass.... WOW... !!! they also come out and serve fresh hot coffee or shakes while you wait on line... Their Hamburgers are Ground hand pressed right in front of you in a white tiled Glass room... My hats off to these guys... I never go to Philly and not stop in for a meal or Three...LOL.. Larry....
    urbanajo33
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/18 11:23:02 (permalink)
    While in school in Atlanta in the late 60's I used to go to a WH for meals whenever I could afford it. I dont remember where it was except close to downtown and on Peachtree, and if you know atlanta saying something is on peachtree is like saying the place has a door. This one had the freshest eggs I've ever eaten in a restaurant. and the only place I've ever had really top notch grits. To this day, I'll always stop at a waffle house when traveling. They are just good old fashioned diners.[:)
    geostorm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/03/19 10:03:13 (permalink)
    Me and my hubbie ate a Waffle House for breakfast one Christmas years ago and it was so much fun! All of their breakfast food is wonderful! And, there were lots of people there, too!
    Frankman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/06 15:16:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

Does anybody else love waffle house like me. The cheese omelet is GREAT ! So thick and fluffy ! They whip it in a blender. Have not had any bad meals at waffle house. Waffles are good too.

Yes, I have been to a few Waffle Houses in my time and they were all very good. Not only for breakfast but for lunches and dinners too. By watching how they made waffles, I was able to come up with a slammin pancake. Wish they had some in Connecticut.
    mobley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/06 17:25:05 (permalink)
    I see that Waffle House seems to be spreading northward. They now have locations in MD and PA, and the locals seem to really like them in those areas. Probably a lot of patronage by truckers from the South. A good Waffle House location would be the first exit on the NJ Turnpike at the Delaware Mem. Bridge. I bet it would do great with all the truck traffic in that area. Cracker Barrell is there already, can WH be far behind?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/06 18:55:32 (permalink)
    In my opinion the Waffle House is the only chain that truly belongs in the "Road Food " category. There are few places that remain consistent. I can state that Krispy Kreme, Krystal, White Castle and the Waffle House are the only ones that have stayed the same. Look at McDonalds, they have produced products that have got smaller, charged more and reduced quality. Waffle Houseis SUPER

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/08 09:29:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

In my opinion the Waffle House is the only chain that truly belongs in the "Road Food " category.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I agree that it does fill the bill ... but I would supplement that suggestion with Steak 'N' Shake of the southern Midwest and Maid-Rite of Iowa. I've never been disappointed at either.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/08 09:45:59 (permalink)
    it is my opinion that the Waffle House is a bit more ubiquitous than Maid-Rite or Steak and Shake. A different crowd hangs out at the Waffle House. They have the best has browns I have ever had. I get them covered, smothered and whatever else they come in. I like their entire menu.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    paoconnell
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/08 09:47:29 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Sundancer

In my opinion the Waffle House is the only chain that truly belongs in the "Road Food " category. There are few places that remain consistent.

I never have eaten at a Waffle House, other than the Indiana chain of the same name (which I understand has changed their name, and has gone downhill in the last ten years).

Cracker Barrel restaurants are uniformly good, though I suspect the best ones are in Tennessee where the chain started.

The best recent breakfast I've had was at the Frontier in Albuquerque. Two eggs over easy, carne adovada, hash browns, fresh baked tortillas, Red Rock coffee (local roaster), and a Frontier Roll split with my wife. Mmmmmm good!
    bumper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/08 20:19:00 (permalink)
    Cracker Barrel TOO MUCH OF A STORE ! Food started good now too generic for me
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/08 21:22:28 (permalink)
    In my traveled opinion, Cracker Barrell is at the best average. You never get fresh food,, the bisquits are almost cold, they do not have good breakfast potatoes and they are not southern as they claim. I go there, but it is only because I have people in my company from other places that want to. Their lunch is OK, but that is all. They are a Tennessee company, but their food ain't

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/09 08:33:41 (permalink)
    I have been disappointed on my last few trips to CB also! Quality is lacking and it took a long time to get the food and it is expensive !!!

We have a chain here in SC called Huddle House. They are a Waffle House knockoff, not quite as good as WH, but close.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/09 08:40:48 (permalink)
    I believe the Huddle House group has been around longer than the Waffle House. We had one here in Knoxville 50 years ago. I have seen some new ones popping up. Best I remember, the menu was similar.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Frankman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/09 10:50:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mobley

I see that Waffle House seems to be spreading northward. They now have locations in MD and PA, and the locals seem to really like them in those areas. Probably a lot of patronage by truckers from the South. A good Waffle House location would be the first exit on the NJ Turnpike at the Delaware Mem. Bridge. I bet it would do great with all the truck traffic in that area. Cracker Barrell is there already, can WH be far behind?

Well, Crackerbarrel made it to Connecticut. Hopefully Waffle House will too.
    Frankman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/09 10:59:03 (permalink)
    quote:

I have been disappointed on my last few trips to CB also! Quality is lacking and it took a long time to get the food and it is expensive !!!

We have a chain here in SC called Huddle House. They are a Waffle House knockoff, not quite as good as WH, but close.

I have only been to two Huddle House's but my experiences were both very good. Both visits were on a trip and early in the am. I found the food every bit as good as WH. But then, there was no crowd and the food came hot.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/09 11:36:03 (permalink)
    My only real gripe with both WH and HH, is that they allow smoking anywhere in the resturant. Now I'm not really down on smokers, but I really hate to sit in a resturant and have someone sit right behind me and start smoking. Kinda ruins the food enjoyment for me!

And I was not aware that Huddle house had been around that long. I guess they are just kind of new to my area.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18665
    RE: How about waffle house ? 2003/04/09 12:02:40 (permalink)
    quote:

I've been to Huddle House places in Tennesee and Georgia and thought they were good, although I prefer Waffle House. A similar chain in the South is Omlette House. I've been to a couple of those in Alabama.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 13
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1