How do I get points of interest on my Garmin? Using Mac devices.

Author
yodeler
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2013/05/22 20:07:50 (permalink)

How do I get points of interest on my Garmin? Using Mac devices.

Have the mobile app but wonder how to get the data on my Garmin. We are planning a road trip soon and I'd love to have this along. All of my other devices are mac...iPhone, ipad, MacBook Air.
Thanks for any help.

2 Replies Related Threads

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 848
    Re:How do I get points of interest on my Garmin? Using Mac devices. 2013/05/23 09:07:00 (permalink)
    You need software called poi-loader.  http://www8.garmin.com/osx/   This will transfer poi files from your computer to the device via a usb cable. Creating you own poi files is fairly easy.  Before taking any trip I always research the area and using google maps I create a poi file tailored for the trip. My garmin is a nuvi.
    A poi file is nothing more than longitude, latitude (coordinates) and descriptions, one line per location.  I create them as csv files with excel. The trick is getting the coordinates. You can find sites that geocode addresses (provide an address and they return the coordinates).  Another option that I use is an option for google maps. If you can find the location you want to mark on a google map, select 'map labs' on the bottom left of google maps and turn on 'LatLng Marker'.  Find the location on the map, then right click and select 'drop latlng marker' and you will see the coordinates.  Then use the coordinates in the csv file.

The entry in the poi file would look like....
    -73.96258,40.70998, Peter Luger
    You should also become familiar with www.poi-factory.com , tons of free poi files are posted there and a community that will help you.
    post edited by kozel - 2013/05/23 09:25:54
    GB944
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:How do I get points of interest on my Garmin? Using Mac devices. 2013/05/23 10:06:31 (permalink)
    If you have an iPhone, it is probably easier to use the Roadfood Mobile website to find nearby restaurants, then cut and paste the address into Google Maps App.  The best part is that the Google Maps are always up to date, unlike the Garmin Maps, which age unless you pay the annual fee (about $75 per unit, IIRC) for last year's data.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1