How do I get something medium rare?

Author
grilled
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2005/06/01 02:38:07 (permalink)

How do I get something medium rare?

I have a convention oven, temperatures available are 180, 250, 320 400 and 470. What temp / time do I use to get a 1.5" steak or burger medium rare? Right now I am cooking it well done because I fear bacteria.

6 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: How do I get something medium rare? 2005/06/01 03:09:51 (permalink)
    The surest way is with a meat thermometer: internal temps: Rare=135-140 degrees, Medium rare=141-146 degrees, Medium=147-150 degrees. They now make thermometer/forks that you can stab into the meat and check the internal temp periodically as it cooks.

I don't know much about convection (you did mean convection, not "convention" didn't you?) ovens, but it's hard for me to imagine cooking STEAK (as opposed to a roast) in any oven. It's a lot easier to cook relatively thin cuts like steaks and burgers on a hot surface like a grill or frying pan or with direct heat like a broiler.

You should not need to fear bacteria in a solid cut like a steak. The harmful bacteria in question are from the intestinal tract of the animal and can contaminate the SURFACE of cuts of meat but they do not get inside it. The problem with burgers is that the meat is ground which distributes anything on the surface of the solid cuts all the way through the ground meat. But with a steak, just rinse it off and pat it dry with towels (paper or otherwise) before cooking. That plus the fact that the heat is applied directly to the surface where any critters are and almost certainly kills them will keep you safe. But burgers are another matter and if you like them rare (or less than well done) you have to take your chances or grind your own (or possibly have a good butcher grind it for you--we discussed this in another thread).
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: How do I get something medium rare? 2005/06/01 08:22:52 (permalink)
    Broil it at 500, 5 min a side...done. Don't poke it with afork, just test it with you finger, should be slightly firm but pliant.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: How do I get something medium rare? 2005/06/01 11:02:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cosmos

Broil it at 500, 5 min a side...done. Don't poke it with afork, just test it with you finger, should be slightly firm but pliant.

Works if you've got an experienced finger; not if you have to ask how to cook a steak in an oven.
    elswinger
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: How do I get something medium rare? 2005/06/01 18:27:15 (permalink)
    I found this to be true:

1) With your left hand, lightly touch the tip of your index finger to the tip of your thumb.
    2) With your right hand's index finger, press the muscle at the base of your thumb on the inside of your left hand's palm.
    3) Compare how that feels to when you press the surface of your meat.

Those are the steps. Here are the rules:

1) Touching the index finger to thumb = rare
    2) Middle finger = medium rare
    3) Ring finger = medium
    4) Pinky = well done

Also BT is pretty much right, but I would say take the meat out about 5-10 degrees before your desired doneness and let set on counter under tented foil, the temperature will rise and the juice will redistribute.

don-o
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: How do I get something medium rare? 2005/06/13 20:51:08 (permalink)
    I just experiment with anything and keep notes (mental or otherwise) of what you did. If it does not turn out right, change something suspect, and try again.

I use my gas ovens broiler - let it burn about 10 minutes. Six minutes a side for grocery store cuts thakes it to medium rare..
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: How do I get something medium rare? 2005/07/13 18:39:32 (permalink)
    let the steak come to room temperature

broil, do not bake

use an instant therometer

carry over will add about five to ten degrees

let it rest covered for five minutes
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1