How do you choose a hot dog cart?

Author
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1270
2011/08/03 20:58:36 (permalink)

How do you choose a hot dog cart?

Didn't know which forum to put this, but since this is a question for hot dog buyers rather than vendors (although I assume vendors will be interested in the answers), I put it here. If I don't already know a good hot dog cart, these are the things I look for in choosing one:

1) Interesting condiments. In New York, a lot of vendors don't even have relish; it's mustard, onions, sauerkraut, and ketchup, and that's it.

2) Cleanliness. A vendor who pays attention to that will generally pay attention to the little details, as well.

3) Signage. I'd like to know how much I'm going to be paying for something before I buy it, and I don't want to have to ask.

4) Pride. If the vendor appears to be happy with what he's doing, and shows pride in his food (or, better yet, brags about how good it is), that makes up for a lot of sins.

How about the rest of you?

Bart

2 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10115
    Re:How do you choose a hot dog cart? 2011/08/04 00:16:48 (permalink)
    The overall first impression. Cart, umbrella and other elements doesn't look like it went thru WWII. Neat, well organized, CLEAN and all that you said above. The appearence of the vehicle they use to pull it speaks volumes about their pride factor.
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:How do you choose a hot dog cart? 2011/08/04 05:55:33 (permalink)
    I look for a quality dog first and foremost. With a natural casing, prepared well, and reasonably priced. And a decent size, not a tiny 12/1 cocktail frank. Without this, nothing mentioned above means anything to me.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1