How do you cook your turkey?

Author
cajun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
2003/11/25 19:27:00 (permalink)

How do you cook your turkey?

Have you ever tried to fry or cook one in a cajun microwave oven?

3 Replies Related Threads

Paul J
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: How do you cook your turkey? 2003/11/30 00:06:10 (permalink)
    Erm.. nope.

The problem with turkey, of course, is that if not given extra-special treatment it tends to taste of slightly soggy cardboard, or worse, dry cardboard.

The way around this is to use soft flavours to compensate. Let's start with the stuffing:

As my father - who is after all a butcher - is always telling me, 'Never eat anything that's been up a bird's arse'. Admirable advice, so what you're looking for here are vegetables which will gently flavour the bird as they roast, but which you aren't too bothered about discarding. I tend to go for:

1 large red onion, halved.
    1 clove of garlic.
    1 large fennel root, halved.
    2 sweet mandarin oranges, pierced.
    Coriander [silantro].
    1 thumb-sized pat of unsalted btter.

Now to the seasoning:

Squeeze the juice of two whole lemons liberally over the bird [add the lemons to the stuffing afterwards], and follow this up with a thin coating of melted butter. Add salt and white pepper [never use black pepper for cooking - it's for seasoning of cooked food. White pepper is much more flavoursome, and people who get them the wrong way round are as stupid as those who fry in extra virgin olive oil.]. Ordinarily, you should never add salt and pepper to meat until it is sealed, but the butter is going to buy you some time. A little freshly chopped oregano to finish, and then cover the top of the bird in unsmoked, unsalted bacon. This will serve two functions: One, it will hold the flavours in, and: Two, roasted bacon with poultry and game tastes marvellous.

Place the bird in a greased roasting tin _over_ a bed of roughly chopped potatoes. These will roast at the same speed as the bird, and become suffused with the juices running out of it, so that none of those lovely tastes and aromas are wasted. A few longitudinally quartered red onions in the dish might not come amiss, either.

Cook in the usual way for the usual time, and enjoy.

Cheers;

Paul
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: How do you cook your turkey? 2003/11/30 06:00:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Paul J

Erm.. nope.

The problem with turkey, of course, is that if not given extra-special treatment it tends to taste of slightly soggy cardboard, or worse, dry cardboard.

The way around this is to use soft flavours to compensate. Let's start with the stuffing:

As my father - who is after all a butcher - is always telling me, 'Never eat anything that's been up a bird's arse'. Admirable advice,

Paul

What about eggs?
    Paul J
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: How do you cook your turkey? 2003/11/30 19:11:34 (permalink)
    Posted - 11/30/2003 : 06:00:19
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
    Originally posted by Paul J

Erm.. nope.

"As my father - who is after all a butcher - is always telling me, 'Never eat anything that's been up a bird's arse'. Admirable advice,

Paul

What about eggs?"

I tend to find that the shell does the trick there - you never hear day-old chicks complaining, do you?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1