How do you eat corned beef?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7260
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 14:21:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Oh lleechef - adventures in cooking!

Oh yes, Lone Star! Adventures fer sure! And then there was the year that I decided to INVITE EVERYBODY for the St. Patrick's Day parade in South Boston (my old Victorian being one block away from the parade route). So I cooked a MESS of corned beef and cabbage, Irish soda bread, Irish raisin bread, bread pudding with Jameson's whiskey sauce (the Irish are BIG on bread), a keg of beer and Irish whiskey galore. ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN PEOPLE CAME THROUGH MY HOUSE!! I kid you not.....it was the best party I've ever thrown!
IansMom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 14:28:26 (permalink)
Gosh lleechef,

that sounds like my kind of party....
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 15:03:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by IansMom

Gosh lleechef,

that sounds like my kind of party....

It was pretty amazing. When I called my parents the next day and said ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN PEOPLE came through here, my Mother replied, "well, yes, you can cook all that in your restaurant and just bring it home.". Thanks Mom.
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 16:02:46 (permalink)
Sounds like a great party! I like corned beef medium-fatty piled high on rye bread with yellow mustard, w/ coleslaw and a couple dills & dill tomatoes on the side. A black cherry soda, cream soda, or cherry coke washes it down nicely. Reubens are also high on my list of delicious edibles. Funny story: I sent some friends of mine to Schwartz's recently (_legendary_ Montreal smoked meat house - talk about Roadfood Heaven!) - 1st mistake, friend's wife doesn't like smoked meat and orders a turkey sandwich (don't get me wrong, it's house-cured and smoked and of the finest quality, she was just sorta missing the point of the Schwartz's experience, but to each their tastes...), 2nd mistake, she asks for mayo on her sandwich - I can only imagine the scornful visual expression and scathing tone, born of many years of Schwartzitude, with which the well-seasoned waiter (and there are no other kinds there) responded when he informed her that no such condiment ever crossed the threshold of that venerable establishment. When they relayed their adventure to me I was incredulous `You asked for _mayo_ at Schwartz's?!?!? I'm surprised they didn't turf you then and there!!' Sometimes the customer _isn't_ always right....
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 16:03:56 (permalink)
Here is my recipe and it is really good!
Kilkenny Corned Beef
5lb corned beef brisket
Boiling water
1 T. mixed pickling spices
1/2 cup mustard
1/2 cup brown sugar
mandarin orange slices
watercress or parsley

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Wash corned beef well and place on rack in large roasting pan. Cover with boiling water; add pickling spices and cover pan with foil. Bake in oven 2 hours or until fork tender. Allow to cool in liquid. (this can be done the day before, which I do. Refrigerate. About one hour before serving, put beef in roasting pan and bake in 325 degree oven for 30 minutes. Combine the mustard and the brown sugar and spread mixture over the beef and bake for 30 min longer or until well glazed. Place on platter and garnish with orange wedges and watercress (or parsley). Serve with Killybegs Horseradish sauce.

Killybegs Horseradish sauce

8 0z. sour cream
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons horseradish (or more to taste)

Combine and mix well and refrigerate overnight (or at least 4 hours). You can use non fat sour cream or yogurt for a lighter sauce

Irish Vegetable Platter (to go with the beef)

10 medium boiling potatoes
1 lb package of baby carrots
2 or 3 cut up turnips (if desired)
1 large head of green cabbage
boiling water
1 stick butter or oleo
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1/4 cup dried parsley

Cook potatoes, carrots and turnips in boiling water until done. Drain and put on heated platter. Cut cabbage in wedges and boil in the corn beef water until done. Arrange on platter with the carrots and potatoes and turnips. Melt butter and add parsley and pour over the vegetables to coat well.
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 16:07:32 (permalink)
it's interesting to see the two corned beef camps: Jewish style and Irish style. Irish style is served with cabbage...
Roy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 17:31:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I prefer first-cut corned beef. That's the lean end of the brisket. I like it piled high on corn rye with a good, grainy mustard, preferably Batampte mustard. When I make one I use half a pound of the thin-sliced corned beef.

My favorite sandwich using corned beef is something that used to be called an Al's Special at a place called Al's in New Haven (Whalley, corner of Sherman) that is no longer. It was equal amounts of corned beef and pastrami on rye with swiss cheese, dark mustard, onion and tomato. This sandwich was at least three inches thick, and the hot corned beef, hot pastrami and cheese were heated till the cheese melted. Then the mustard was added, and then the raw onion and tomato were placed on top. I make this at home about once every couple of months (because that's about all I can afford at close to $15 a pound for corned beef and the same for pastrami at the kosher market).

I remember Al's well Mike. Pity it's gone. Also the Al's Special though I didn't remember the name.
Nowdays, I eat my corned beef Irish style with the cabbage and, call me nuts, but with ketchup, not mustard. Same with the next day sandwiches on rye.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18853
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 17:42:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Roy

quote:

I prefer first-cut corned beef. That's the lean end of the brisket. I like it piled high on corn rye with a good, grainy mustard, preferably Batampte mustard. When I make one I use half a pound of the thin-sliced corned beef.

My favorite sandwich using corned beef is something that used to be called an Al's Special at a place called Al's in New Haven (Whalley, corner of Sherman) that is no longer. It was equal amounts of corned beef and pastrami on rye with swiss cheese, dark mustard, onion and tomato. This sandwich was at least three inches thick, and the hot corned beef, hot pastrami and cheese were heated till the cheese melted. Then the mustard was added, and then the raw onion and tomato were placed on top. I make this at home about once every couple of months (because that's about all I can afford at close to $15 a pound for corned beef and the same for pastrami at the kosher market).

I remember Al's well Mike. Pity it's gone. Also the Al's Special though I didn't remember the name.
Nowdays, I eat my corned beef Irish style with the cabbage and, call me nuts, but with ketchup, not mustard. Same with the next day sandwiches on rye.

Rick Geltman, the son of Al's owner Murray Geltman, has opened a place on Amity Road called Murray's. I told my sister about it and she, a regular at Al's, went there last week and told me it didn't compare.

Do you remember the other pastrami sandwich at Al's, the Pastrami Special? That was pastrami, swiss and tomato and onion. They'd wrap the meat and cheese in aluminum foil and put on the grill till the cheese melted, then add the tomato and onion.

There used to be a place across the steet from Al's called Chucks. As I recall, mostly old people (much younger than I am now) went there. The only thing I remember from Chucks was the Chucks Delight -- an omlet with chicken livers.

The only place I ever ate corned beef and cabbage in New Haven was the Arena Grille. Every Thursday.
chinesegirl
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 18:01:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

I like my corned beef warm, with some fat on it, with Gulden's mustard, on fresh rye with seeds. I like it by itself and I also like it with swiss cheese if available (only non-kosher delis will have this option).
I also enjoy it on toasted rye with chopped liver.

My style exactly---but ive never had it with the chopped liver on rey--sound really good though!!!

Same here...but I need some salad on the side, to make myself feeling less guilty
Attman's the best in DC/Baltimore area. I used to drive 1 hour to Balimore just to get my corned beef sandwich and some polish kielbasa
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13545
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/14 13:48:58 (permalink)
There is a great deli in a seedy part of Milwaukee that is rumoured to be owned by Bud Selig, commissioner of baseball. I believe it is on North Street The place is sorta run down and sells only two sandwichs. Corned beef and pastrami. It is thick sliced and steamed. They also sell borsch (sp) which is sort of strange.

Both sandwiches are super.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3313
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/14 17:53:11 (permalink)
Paul, the place is called Jake's. I've haven't experienced it yet. Every time I go there, it's been closed. Guess I'll just have to adjust my schedule. Beji's in Milwaukee serves excellent Vienna corned beef that is thickly cross cut. Star Bar restaurant on I94 in Kenosha county serves an excellent reuben made with Vienna corned beef. Manny's Coffee Shop & Deli(www.mannysdeli.com)on Chicago's west side near the old Maxwell Street and my childhood neighborhood serves a corned beef sandwich that is Chicago's equal to New York's Katz's and Stage Deli.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/15 18:10:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

it's interesting to see the two corned beef camps: Jewish style and Irish style. Irish style is served with cabbage...

I think both camps serve with cabbage. But the Irish use smoked shoulder for their "boiled dinner". Which is taboo for the Jewish who corn the beef brisket. The Irish also use pork loin to make "bacon" which is very tasty and they make some pretty good bangers and blood sausage.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/15 18:12:50 (permalink)
OK, while I'm on about Irish food......anybody ever eat Colcannon?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/15 18:19:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Sure. It's basically potatoes and cabbage. I haven't had it in years. In fact, the last time I had it there was corned beef in it, too.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/15 18:54:09 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Sure. It's basically potatoes and cabbage. I haven't had it in years. In fact, the last time I had it there was corned beef in it, too.

I never saw corned beef in Colcannon, but that would be good too! It was the left over boiled cabbage mixed in with mashed spuds and served with ham and it was a yummy combo.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/15 20:23:08 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

I never saw corned beef in Colcannon, but that would be good too! It was the left over boiled cabbage mixed in with mashed spuds and served with ham and it was a yummy combo.

Don't forget leeks. Really yum.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3763
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/15 22:13:23 (permalink)
I am guessing this isn't the place to say I like my corned beef served on white toast with a dab of mayo?

Actually, I was surprised to see someone else like a sandwich like me -- corned beef fatty enough that you don't need the mustard. Personally, I am not a big fan of condiments on my sandwiches at all...if the meat is tender and moist enough, I don't think you need mayo, mustard, etc...just not a big fan myself. Now, it turns out people call that healthy. Who knew? As for the corned beef, slap it on some rye bread, and I am in heaven. If the sandwich is washing down a bowl of chicken noodle/matzo ball soup, then all the better.

Steve
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2888
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/16 01:32:15 (permalink)
The most common mistake with corned beef and cabbage is when people throw it all into the same pot. The potatoes turn into a greasy, salty, watery mess. I always boil the veggies seperately. That way the meat is falling apart, but the potatoes aren't.
Frankman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 300
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/16 07:20:39 (permalink)
I like mine cooked with a thick fat cap then trimmed lean and sliced as thin as possible. I love Reuben's this way. Any kind of "sturdy" toasted bread, mustard, raw onion, almost any cheese as a cold or warmed sandwich. As a plate, I don't mind a little fat at all. I have cooked a few myself and have never had one that I didn't love no matter what I cooked it with. Plain, brown gravy, BBQ sauce. It's all good. Some savoy cabbage, a potato and yellow mustard. It is probably just habit from the days before spicy brown. The storebought stuff? I don't care for that at all.
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/16 08:13:12 (permalink)
How do I eat corned beef? In the form of a Reuben only!! Lean corned beef, sliced thin, piled high, on a homemade rye bun, several slices of good Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, Russian dressing. Yum Yum, it's the only way to go
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4608
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/16 09:34:54 (permalink)
So far, I only like corned beef in a hash, which is how it is served (and served well) at the Sugar N Spice here in Cincinnati.

Then again, the picture of the sandwich at Katz's in NYC is quite tempting.
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 450
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/16 10:24:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

I am guessing this isn't the place to say I like my corned beef served on white toast with a dab of mayo?
Steve

Steve:
I have total respect for people's individual tastes but in the words of my dear mother, "OY VEY!"
10X10
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/16 10:49:36 (permalink)
Good Morning All, This is my first posting to a forum so forgive me for any rookie mistakes. I could not resist chimeing in as this particular topic brings back a childhood ritual for Sunday afternoons in my house.

A fatty corned beef/pastrami sandwhich from Zacky's Deli in New Haven CT. served on Rye bread with brown mustard, a sour pickle and a side of potato salad, all served up in front of the TV watching football with my Dad!

Nothing was better for me.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/16 11:54:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

Actually, I was surprised to see someone else like a sandwich like me -- corned beef fatty enough that you don't need the mustard. Personally, I am not a big fan of condiments on my sandwiches at all...if the meat is tender and moist enough, I don't think you need mayo, mustard, etc...just not a big fan myself. Now, it turns out people call that healthy. Who knew? As for the corned beef, slap it on some rye bread, and I am in heaven. If the sandwich is washing down a bowl of chicken noodle/matzo ball soup, then all the better.

Steve

I remember ordering a "Kosher-style" corned beef sandwich in a Holiday Inn in Charleston, West Virginia in 1965. I had just taken a job there, leaving Connecticut, and I was not familiar with the fact that there were people who'd never had such a sandwich. When the waitress brought my food, I was sort of confused. There on the plate was a a club sandwich -- white toast, cut into quarters, with those long toothpicks topped with colored plastic feathers, or whatever. Inside was some thick gray meat, mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/16 11:57:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

The most common mistake with corned beef and cabbage is when people throw it all into the same pot. The potatoes turn into a greasy, salty, watery mess. I always boil the veggies seperately. That way the meat is falling apart, but the potatoes aren't.

I do it all in the same pot and I've never had any problems. Of course, I cook the meat first, then add the potatoes and cabbage.
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/16 12:25:09 (permalink)
I will never forget the Corned beef and cabbage dinners at Burke's South End Tavern in Troy N.Y. A bar and restaurant that had a Lady's entrance until just a few years ago. It was a friendly place and they
had a different special for every day of the week.

The corned beef was served boiling hot with boiled potatoes and cabbage.
With rye bread and butter.

I always have loved the taste of apple cider vinegar on the cabbage
it has a sweet and sour flavor that is very good, as it mixes with the salty fatty juice of the beef and butter from the potatoes.

paul and louise
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/16 15:46:42 (permalink)
corned beef on coarse wheat bread
...with pepper jack cheese and mayo
and instead of lettuce use alphalpha sprouts-lots of sprouts
10X10
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/16 16:05:51 (permalink)
TY, long time listener, first time calle
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

quote:
Originally posted by 10X10

Good Morning All, This is my first posting to a forum so forgive me for any rookie mistakes. I could not resist chimeing in as this particular topic brings back a childhood ritual for Sunday afternoons in my house.

A fatty corned beef/pastrami sandwhich from Zacky's Deli in New Haven CT. served on Rye bread with brown mustard, a sour pickle and a side of potato salad, all served up in front of the TV watching football with my Dad!

Nothing was better for me.

Welcome to the show 10x10!!!
Julia I
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/20 10:06:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Paul, the place is called Jake's. I've haven't experienced it yet. Every time I go there, it's been closed. Guess I'll just have to adjust my schedule. Beji's in Milwaukee serves excellent Vienna corned beef that is thickly cross cut.

chicagostyledog, Jake's is only open for lunch, maybe until 3 pm or so. Be prepared to wait in line! I love Jake's, but my Jewish brother-in-law prefers Benji's.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3313
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/20 15:40:58 (permalink)
Thanks Julia. I bought a pound of corned beef from Benji's this weekend. If you like lox, the finest lox is at Grasch's in Brookfield on west North Avenue. Their fish, poultry, and meat is on par with 4-5 star restaurants. I've heard Milwaukee will be getting a "Whole Foods" store. Whole Foods is in Madison and Deerfield, Illinois. I'm also hoping we get a Trader Joe's.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1