Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

How do you eat corned beef?

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 109
rigoleto

• Total Posts: 15
RE: How do you eat corned beef? Sun, 07/11/04 9:20 PM (permalink)
That's the way to do it. Don't forget the cole slaw, the beer and the cheesecake afterwards!

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? Sun, 07/11/04 11:20 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Thanks Julia. I bought a pound of corned beef from Benji's this weekend. If you like lox, the finest lox is at Grasch's in Brookfield on west North Avenue. Their fish, poultry, and meat is on par with 4-5 star restaurants. I've heard Milwaukee will be getting a "Whole Foods" store. Whole Foods is in Madison and Deerfield, Illinois. I'm also hoping we get a Trader Joe's.

Enjoy Trader Joe's. I love that store. I make a lot of pasta and I used to have to search all over town for authentic San Marzano tomatoes (soooo much better than the average American canned tomato) but then I discovered TJ's canned plum tomatoes were nearly as good. And my cat got addicted to their tuna for cats (she's in recovery now because I got worried about the mercury in tuna thing). Truly they are the yuppie foodie's paradise--at discount prices.

But a friend calls Whole Foods "the food museum" 'cause we watched them polishing the fruit one day. Then there's the time I got in an argument with someone in their deli meat department. I asked if they had pancetta. The kid behind the counter haughtily informed me they didn't carry anything with nitrites. So I rejoined that authentically made pancetta wouldn't have nitrites (and avoided adding "you little snot").

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
      RE: How do you eat corned beef? Thu, 07/15/04 5:07 PM (permalink)
      Maybe it's my Jewish background, but I can't understand someone wanting to put cheese on a corned beef sandwich.

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
        RE: How do you eat corned beef? Thu, 07/15/04 5:39 PM (permalink)
        Cheese? Mayo? White bread? Oy. I don't know nuttin' about the Irish methods but I trust they know what they are doing. I eat corned beef the way it is supposed to be eaten: thin sliced and piled high on rye bread (with seeds) with mustard. A dill pickle spear is a good side. Dat's it. If you have much room for sides, the sandwich was improperly made.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
          RE: How do you eat corned beef? Fri, 07/16/04 10:00 AM (permalink)
          I don't like rye bread because of the seeds. I like to use whole wheat bread, spicy mustard, raw onions , lots of corned beef and swiss cheese. My sister likes to add sliced boiled eggs also. It also like to have a good kosher dill pickle to eat with my sandwich.

I like my Ruebens with spicy mustard instead of thousand island dressing also.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
            RE: How do you eat corned beef? Fri, 07/16/04 10:18 AM (permalink)
            I agree. I always cook my in seperate pots. I cook my corned beef.
            I make a pot of steamed cabbage and a pot of stewed potatoes. Then I make sure I have lots of raw onion and some corn bread to eat with this. Talk about comfort food!
            quote:
            Originally posted by EliseT

The most common mistake with corned beef and cabbage is when people throw it all into the same pot. The potatoes turn into a greasy, salty, watery mess. I always boil the veggies seperately. That way the meat is falling apart, but the potatoes aren't.

linus

• Total Posts: 252
              RE: How do you eat corned beef? Fri, 07/16/04 6:35 PM (permalink)
              emsmom, this is exactly how i ate it growing up. my mom's english, so we always had some melted butter with parsley chopped in it, to pour on the cabbage and potatos. and some mustard. really good stuff.!

bxfinest

• Total Posts: 79
                RE: How do you eat corned beef? Tue, 07/20/04 7:41 PM (permalink)
                When hot I like to eat corned beef Reuben style with kraut, swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing on toasted Rye. But when cold I like it with mustard(no Mayo) onions, tomatoes, swiss and red peppers on Rye. If ever in NYC all deli's are official. But the best corned Beef and Pastrami sandwiches are at Carnigie Deli on 7th Ave in Manhattan. Their Footlong high sandwiches off the chain.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: How do you eat corned beef? Tue, 07/20/04 7:47 PM (permalink)
                  Dearfolk,
                  If only this were a perfect world, I would devour mine in Corning, Arkansas. And eaty my baked potatoes in Spuds, Florida. And my garden variety red vegetables in Tomato, Arkansas. And my crisp breakfast meat in Baconton, Georgia. And something between two slices of bread in Sandwich, Illinois.
                  To stretch it, I'd take my curds in W(h)aymart, Pensylvania. And I'd buy Coffee Springs, Alabama to assure myself a never-ending supply of my favorite morning beverage.
                  Anybody got any more such eat-ioms?
                  Without A Clue, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                    RE: How do you eat corned beef? Thu, 07/22/04 9:05 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by danimal15

Maybe it's my Jewish background, but I can't understand someone wanting to put cheese on a corned beef sandwich.

Dan,

It's really not bad. That's how I eat a Reuben. As a kid in Chicago, I lived near the original Sam & Hy's Deli on Roosevelt & Keeler. Their corned beef was the best. When they moved to Skokie on Dempster, my uncle Jack was one of their deli staff. I'd stop there once a week on my way to work in Evanston to pick up a corned beef sandwich. One day, he made me a corned beef sandwich with cheese. It was good. He later instructed me to never tell our rabbi or we'd both be in deep yogurt.

BTW, I have a Vienna Polish with your name on it if you decide to cross the state line some weekend.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                      RE: How do you eat corned beef? Thu, 07/22/04 11:24 PM (permalink)
                      ...is that "wit" cheese?

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                        RE: How do you eat corned beef? Fri, 07/23/04 7:46 AM (permalink)
                        Faith and begorra, Ileechef, that was some pary. Did ya' see me brother there, sure-n he never missed a good party when he lived in Boston????

Your right about the Irish using ham back home in Ireland----the Jewish population of Boston taught them the wonders of corned beef.

The best time to have CB&C is in the fall when the cabbage is perfect. The outer leaves as green as the ol' sod itself.

Being Irish through and through we have had ham and/ or CB and cabbage for many more occasions than St Patrick's Day.

Here is a "never fail" recipe I found a few years ago that makes the whole process easier and better --- as far as I am concerned.

First, buy the best piece of CB you can find. A nice 5# piece does our family.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line a roasting pan with a double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil large enough to wrap around the meat tightly.

Rinse the CB, pat it dry and put it on the foil. Lay one sliced orange on top of the CB (yep---an orange, peel and all) add one large sliced onion on top and around the meat. Then put two stalks of celery (left whole) on top of everything else. Are ya still with me ??????

Now sprinkle 2 tablespoons of pickling spice over the whole mess add
                        1/4 cup of cold water, seal up the package tightly and bake away at 300 for 3 1/2 hours.

Cook up the spuds, the cabbage and the turnips on the stovetop. Put a pound of butter on the table and some frosty glasses full of suds and
                        you've got a dinner fit for a king.

Warning---If you want enough left over for hash the next day I would suggest you just serve this to one other, whenever I make it for more than that the hounds devour every last morsel and leave me with only some empty foil wrappings.

howard8

• Total Posts: 355
                          RE: How do you eat corned beef? Fri, 07/23/04 9:59 AM (permalink)
                          Recently due to South Beach and Atkins, I have been modifying our corned beef eating for me and my girlfriend. She has an Irish background and me, I am a Jewish eater.
                          After cooking a nicely fatty corned beef, I let it rest for 45 minutes.
                          I then cut enough slices to double layer an 8 by 10 inch pyrex baking dish.
                          On top of the corned beef goes a thick layer of good quality saurkraut thoroughly drained.
                          On top of the saurkraut goes a thick layer of swiss, and on top of the swiss goes a thick layer of russian dressing with a little ranch dressing thrown in.
                          And now after baking in a 400 degree oven until nice and bubbly hot, we have the "Breadless Reuben".
                          This dish is so damn good and without those nasty carbs we can eat as much as we want. Now you can too.

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                            RE: How do you eat corned beef? Fri, 07/23/04 12:16 PM (permalink)
                            You guys who know corned beef know the 'FAT" is essential(HOWARD8 be praised)......fortunately cholesterol is not my problem(last count 92),soooooo,fatty beef,good Jewish rye,boars head deli mustard and a coupla pickles .....OR.....get to the airport in Tampa and fly to NYC so as to grab a cab for KATZ'S

forurlungsonly

• Total Posts: 92
                              RE: How do you eat corned beef? Fri, 07/23/04 12:31 PM (permalink)
                              Growing up my mom always made corned beef with cabbage and potatoes once a year, on St. Patrick's day, and that was more than enough for me. Now that I'm not living at home, I can't say I miss it.

As for Reubens, well, I always want to like them, but for some reason the combination reminds me of feet. And I hate caraway seeds, so no seedy rye for me, please.

I guess I'm being blasphemous in this forum, but I do not like corned beef, except in homemade hash form. Now that, with some ketchup mixed in and chunks of potatoes, is good eating.

BT

RE: How do you eat corned beef? Fri, 07/23/04 1:06 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by garykg6

You guys who know corned beef know the 'FAT" is essential(HOWARD8 be praised)......fortunately cholesterol is not my problem(last count 92),soooooo,fatty beef,good Jewish rye,boars head deli mustard and a coupla pickles .....OR.....get to the airport in Tampa and fly to NYC so as to grab a cab for KATZ'S

You are ever so correct. I've always thought that that is why the corned beef on the left coast is darned near inedible--too lean!

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                  RE: How do you eat corned beef? Fri, 07/23/04 1:14 PM (permalink)
                                  Unlike forurlungsonly I look forward to St. Pat's Day and although I have not a bit of Irish in me, I take half a day off of work so that I can cook that corn beef long and slow. Fortunately my entire family likes it as well. As for Reubens I fear I never will be able to look at one much less eat one again without thinking of "feet". That reminds me of a person once saying that the taste of Dr. Pepper reminded her of the smell of a squished Florida Palmetto Bug. I haven't drank another since. I know to each their own opinion, but I must add one more, anything to which ketchup has been applied has been ruined. O.k. maybe a drop or two on a dog....but YUCK!

marky

• Total Posts: 104
                                    RE: How do you eat corned beef? Fri, 07/23/04 2:21 PM (permalink)
                                    berndog it is jerrys and my daughter interned across the street. monday nights the late andy kauffman(latka) on taxi used to bus tables. did not speak to anyone but come in bus tables and leave. very good corn beef but i still love cantors on fairfax very fatty lots of deli musturd with every sandwichnamed after a dead jewish comic

Danmel

• Total Posts: 193
                                      RE: How do you eat corned beef? Mon, 07/26/04 12:52 PM (permalink)

200 Posts
                                      Posted - 07/15/2004 : 17:07:43
                                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me too Danimal- I eat my corned beef on rye or club with a little brown mustard, a sour pickle and either a Dr. Brown's Celray Tonic or Cream Soda (when the kids are hocking me, I'll get a black cherry)

Luvstoeat

• Total Posts: 88
                                        RE: How do you eat corned beef? Mon, 07/26/04 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                        I'm with you Danimal....the thought of cheese on corned beef gives me the "willies". It's bad enough that I have to indulge my wife when she talks about mayonaise on a salami sandwich (and this from a "Hollywood Park" Chicagoan!!) I do have to admit tho that during passover my family used to eat corned beef on matzo with "schmaltz" on it. Little wonder half the family was dead before they were 60!!!! Luckily my kids have learned from me.....On an onion roll with mustard and a pickle!!!!

sugarlander

• Total Posts: 254
                                          RE: How do you eat corned beef? Wed, 01/5/05 6:10 PM (permalink)
                                          Several years ago, we were eating at a tiny restaurant in southern Quebec where the sblackboard special of the day was "barbecued beef sandwich." The waiter spoke no English. When the food arrived, it turned out to be corned beef!

Sundancer7

RE: How do you eat corned beef? Wed, 01/5/05 6:52 PM (permalink)
                                            For your Walmart lovers, I just bought the cheaper version of corned beef a couple of weeks ago. They have two. One has some fat and the other is mostly lean. I bought the one that had the fat and my guess is that is was around 4-5 pounds. It had the spices with it that you could add. It was already pre spiced and tenderized. The extra spice was to kick it up a notch. It did that and more. It was less than $10.00 for the entire thing.

I cooked it per their specs and it was excellent. I enjoyed it with mustard and rye bread. I stuck the remainder in the frige and it microwaved real good. It was as good as any I have ever had anyplace and that includes Jakes in Milwaukee which I thought was the best I had ever had up until then.

Paul E. Smith
                                            Knoxville, TN

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                                              RE: How do you eat corned beef? Wed, 01/5/05 8:34 PM (permalink)
                                              With all the fans of Kansas City Barbecue out there, I can't believe no one has mentioned the smoked corned beef at Jake Edward's. Because we now live in Chicago (My wife is a KC native, I'm the Chicagoan), and there are so many restaurants to visit on our trips to KC, I've only been to Jake Edward's twice in 25 years. Both times they were out of the smoked corned beef. My KC friends tell me it's amazing and I look forward to our next trip down there. As for personal preferences, I'm partial to a good Reuben or a plate of hash.

When I prepare a corned beef at home, I've gotten away from boiling and moved on to dry, slow roasting. Put the corned beef in a roasting pan with a bottle of beer poured over. Seal with foil and stick in a 200-225 degree oven till you hit an internal temp of 180 degrees (about 3-6 hours depending on how big a brisket you've got). I did this three St. Patrick's days ago out of necessity (the corned beef was so big, we didn't have a pot big enough to boil it). The meat was so tender, so succulent, so flavorful, we've never gone back to boiling. An added benefit is the remarkable aroma that will fill your home. I can hardly wait--St. Paddy's day is only 2 1/2 months away.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3551
                                                RE: How do you eat corned beef? Thu, 01/6/05 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

When I prepare a corned beef at home, I've gotten away from boiling and moved on to dry, slow roasting. Put the corned beef in a roasting pan with a bottle of beer poured over. Seal with foil and stick in a 200-225 degree oven till you hit an internal temp of 180 degrees (about 3-6 hours depending on how big a brisket you've got). I did this three St. Patrick's days ago out of necessity (the corned beef was so big, we didn't have a pot big enough to boil it). The meat was so tender, so succulent, so flavorful, we've never gone back to boiling. An added benefit is the remarkable aroma that will fill your home. I can hardly wait--St. Paddy's day is only 2 1/2 months away.

Sounds like an interesting way to do it. I will have to make a test run before St. Paddy's Day!

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                                                  RE: How do you eat corned beef? Thu, 01/6/05 3:13 PM (permalink)
                                                  I prefer it on a sandwich at Weintraubs on Water St in Worcester Mass. The whole combination of the meat and condiments on the bread is what makes it great. Thanks to low carb I will not be eating one for a few months. The idea of eating it without the bread doesn't turn me on at all.

angelfood

• Total Posts: 204
                                                    RE: How do you eat corned beef? Thu, 01/6/05 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                                    With my mouth, LOL.

Coaster Dog

• Total Posts: 19
                                                      RE: How do you eat corned beef? Sat, 01/8/05 6:33 PM (permalink)
                                                      Katz's in NYC has the best corned beef & pastrami in the world - riddled with fat and so moist & tender that it is actuall preferable sliced by hand (they only slice by hand with a butchers scimitar) and served on fresh NY deli rye. When you stand there ordering your sandwich, you put a dollar in the tip jar and he'll pad your sanwich with an extra 2-3" of luscious meat!!

Add an order of their crispy fries, some slaw to pile on the sandwich with a dollop of deli mustard and a can of Dr. Browns Cel-Ray and we'll need a nap when we're done.

"Thinly-sliced and lean" is only a symptom of the real issue at hand: No one knows how to cook a corned beef!!!!

If it was dry, we would use schmaltz on the bread to grease it up - back in the olden days.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                                        • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: How do you eat corned beef? Sun, 01/9/05 5:19 AM (permalink)
                                                        To those of you doing the CB in the oven, doesn't it come out very salty? I tried once on the BBQ and the dang thing was so salty we couldn't eat it. I always boil mine for several hours and then it is good.

MikeS.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                                                          • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                          RE: How do you eat corned beef? Thu, 02/3/05 6:54 PM (permalink)
                                                          A lot has happened in the last year since I started this post. During the summer, I had the opportunity to experience a corned beef sandwich at Jake's in Milwaukee. OMG, I'm a changed corned beef eater!
                                                          Jake doesn't thin cut their corned beef. They cut medium hunks with a small amount of fat(it can be ordered lean too). The stuff melts in your mouth. It's moist and tender. It's served on fresh baked Miller's rye with dark yellow mustard and a kosher pickle. Best corned beef sandwich I've ever eaten and I've been to all the best Chicago & New York delis to compare.

CSD

Sundancer7

RE: How do you eat corned beef? Thu, 02/3/05 8:01 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by chicagostyledog

A lot has happened in the last year since I started this post. During the summer, I had the opportunity to experience a corned beef sandwich at Jake's in Milwaukee. OMG, I'm a changed corned beef eater!
                                                            Jake doesn't thin cut their corned beef. They cut medium hunks with a small amount of fat(it can be ordered lean too). The stuff melts in your mouth. It's moist and tender. It's served on fresh baked Miller's rye with dark yellow mustard and a kosher pickle. Best corned beef sandwich I've ever eaten and I've been to all the best Chicago & New York delis to compare.

CSD

The Sundancer will agree with you on Jakes. I have been there many times and even though it is located in a seedy area, the crowd never ceases to amaze me. From white collar to blue collar. His sides are very different. The decor is very early American. I always worried about my car but I always enjoyed the corned beef. Always tender and juicy and thick.

Paul E. Smith
                                                            Knoxville, TN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 109

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com