How do you eat corned beef?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2295
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2005/02/03 23:15:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

For your Walmart lovers, I just bought the cheaper version of corned beef a couple of weeks ago. They have two. One has some fat and the other is mostly lean. I bought the one that had the fat and my guess is that is was around 4-5 pounds. It had the spices with it that you could add. It was already pre spiced and tenderized. The extra spice was to kick it up a notch. It did that and more. It was less than $10.00 for the entire thing.

I cooked it per their specs and it was excellent. I enjoyed it with mustard and rye bread. I stuck the remainder in the frige and it microwaved real good. It was as good as any I have ever had anyplace and that includes Jakes in Milwaukee which I thought was the best I had ever had up until then.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I have to agree with you, Paul. For my poker night last week, I slow-cooked a CB from Walmart...$1.40 per pound. It was very very good. I also served a terrific extra sharp cheddar wheel from Bedford County Cheeses, in Tennessee. Seeing a couple of my guests putting hunks of that cheese on my corned beef was like fingernails on a chalkboard.
essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2005/02/04 00:43:44 (permalink)
There's a company in San Francisco called Turkey Brand corned beef. You can go in there and pull out a piece from the pickling vats! They corn bottom round and brisket. They've been around awhile, and they got their name because corned beef was called "Irish turkey" back in the day.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2295
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2005/02/04 07:23:02 (permalink)
No limit Texas Hold-em, just like the guys on tv, except that they know what they're doing.
bottom-dragger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2005/02/04 21:10:01 (permalink)
as much as many of us enjoy and think it traditional to eat corned beef and cabbage for st. paddy's day, you would have a very difficult time finding it served anywhere in ireland.....it's not their tradition.

so, what's green and stands out in the rain on your back porch??

paddy o'furniture

joe
petersburg, alaska

lampwick773
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2005/02/05 14:05:45 (permalink)
Corned beef is one of those things that is as heatly contested as, say, New England Clam Chowder v. Manhattan style, NY Pizza v. Chicago Pizza, or the Republicans v. Democrats... but the real issue is not the type - NY Style corned beef is hands down the winner v. Chicago style - even in Chicago - but rather, where to get it.

First, Chicago style is not what people outside of Chicago - and even in Chicago for that matter - think of as corned beef. It is basically salty but otherwise bland, resembling a salty roast beef. New York style is what most people think of as corned beef: beautiful, slightly fatty, pink, brined and cooked slowly. It came from New York, and when the Jews and Irish were living in close proximity on the Lower East Side, and the Irish were eating "salted beef" (a sort of cruel, British cousin to the corned beef), when "The Tribe" squared them away and taught them how to make a brisket taste better. After that, it became better known as an Irish-American staple... but there is a reason why there are Jewish deli's that stake their rep on their product from Boston to San Diego.

All that being said (but hey, what's the point in talking food unless we're going to look at the history too, ya know?) there are 2 places that I go for corned great beef which are outside the NYC area I swear by these joints...

Manny's Coffee Shop and Deli - 1141 S.Jefferson in Chicago: Old School, and cafeteria style service, hands down the best corned beef sandwich (as well as best potato pancake and best kreplach soup) south of Skokie. Expensive at $8.50, the amount and quality of meat is worth it.I always get the Rueben, and I'm sure my Orthodox grandfather rolls over in his grave every time. A New York-styled masterpiece, found in the heart of the Windy City.

Slyman's Restaurant - 3106 St. Claire Ave. in Cleveland: Yes, I said Cleveland, and if you've ever been to this joint, you won't make one more joke about the river or the Browns... or at least not without praising the corned beef first. Scott Raab (journalist and food junky at large... literally) wrote a review of this place in the 2002 summer roadtrip issue of Esquire as having the Best Corned Beef Sandwich in America. A bold statement, but in my opinion, a valid one. Fresh rye, perfect balance of fat and meat, pickles... no kidding, after they run out of corned beef, they close up shop for the day. Get their early.

Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2005/02/05 14:47:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

A lot has happened in the last year since I started this post. During the summer, I had the opportunity to experience a corned beef sandwich at Jake's in Milwaukee. OMG, I'm a changed corned beef eater!
Jake doesn't thin cut their corned beef. They cut medium hunks with a small amount of fat(it can be ordered lean too). The stuff melts in your mouth. It's moist and tender. It's served on fresh baked Miller's rye with dark yellow mustard and a kosher pickle. Best corned beef sandwich I've ever eaten and I've been to all the best Chicago & New York delis to compare.

CSD

The Sundancer will agree with you on Jakes. I have been there many times and even though it is located in a seedy area, the crowd never ceases to amaze me. From white collar to blue collar. His sides are very different. The decor is very early American. I always worried about my car but I always enjoyed the corned beef. Always tender and juicy and thick.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I also give my vote to "Jake's" as the best. And that includes best that New York has to offer. I have tried "Carnegie", "2nd Avenue Deli" and "Katz", but Jakes is better. And the clientele at Jake's every time I've been there is 95% black, which is not what I expect at a place that specializes in corned beef and pastrami. It has also been very crowded every time I have been there, both for eat in and take out.
lampwick773
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2005/02/05 15:41:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Peachpie9

Excellent information, Lampwick.

Can you tell me exactly how the Reuben is served (what's in it, what do you put on it)?

Thank you,

Catherine

Catherine... The bread choice is up to you (pumpernickel or rye is best...) but you definitely need thinly-sliced corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, butter, and Russian Dressing (if you keep kosher, obviously you'd skip the cheese). Spread some butter on the outsides of each slice of bread (like you were going to make a grilled cheese), and spread the dressing on the inside of each slice. Pile up the corned beef, put the sauerkraut on top of that, then the cheese, then put the top on it and toast it either in a skillet, or with a panini press (if you are one of those kitchen people that has every cool gadget that hits the market... )Enjoy while watching re-reuns of "Taxi".
tigerborn
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2005/02/28 23:03:15 (permalink)
If you are a devotee of corned beef, go to Zingerman's Deli in Ann Arbor and get their Reuben sandwich. It is heaven disguised in a grilled corned beef sandwich with Russian dressing, sauerkraut and cheese between two slices of toasted Jewish rye bread. When you first bite into the decadent sandwich, you notice the crisp crust and tangy flavor of the bread followed by the rich succulence of the corned beef and sauerkraut. Run, don't walk to Zingerman's! Also, they have a website where you can order their stuff: www.zingermans.com
tigerborn
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2005/03/01 18:50:06 (permalink)
Also, don't forget to try corned beef Filipino-style.
Take 1 can of Hormel's corned beef. Mash it up in a pan with crushed garlic, olive oil and a dash of black pepper. Serve it with steaming hot jasmine rice. It's comfort food at its finest.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3297
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2005/03/03 14:33:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lampwick773

Manny's Coffee Shop and Deli - 1141 S.Jefferson in Chicago: Old School, and cafeteria style service, hands down the best corned beef sandwich (as well as best potato pancake and best kreplach soup) south of Skokie. Expensive at $8.50, the amount and quality of meat is worth it.I always get the Rueben, and I'm sure my Orthodox grandfather rolls over in his grave every time. A New York-styled masterpiece, found in the heart of the Windy City.

The original Sam & Hy's on Roosevelt & Keeler was the best corned beef in Chicago. When my family migrated to Lincolnwood from the west side, so did Sam & Hy's. They relocated in Skokie on Dempster and then sold to new owners. From that point on, their food was never the same. My Uncle Jack was the deli man at Sam & Hy's for years. What ever I wanted was free. But enough old west side Jewish geography. The next time you decide to drive up north, drop me an e-mail. We'll go to Jake's Deli on North Avenue in Milwaukee. Vienna corned beef at it's best. A notch above Manny's, but you be the judge. Not thin cut and lean. Slow cooked, cross cut with just enough fat to keep it moist, served on fresh baked and sliced Miller's rye with a Vienna kosher dill for $5.75. They make Reubens too. The Sundancer can verify Jake's supreme goodness. I still love Manny's for the best corned beef sandwich in Chicago. Give Jake's a try. Jake's converted me! I'll be happy to join you for lunch any weekday.

CSD
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10199
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2007/03/18 00:31:22 (permalink)
Bought a 3# Hormel Cryovaced Corned Beef for St Patty's. Sliced the ends off a whole Onion & cut in half to make a base in my crockpot. Rinsed Corned Beef & put it on the onion base, fat side up. Seasoned the CB with the packet of seasonings that came with it along with some Rosemary & Celery Seed. Added a can of beef broth and let 'er cook on high for 5 Hours. Took it out, trimmed the top fat off and sliced it. Simple and to die for .

Made Colcannon to go with it. Simple also. Boiled Potatoes. In a large frypan Cooked 1/4 # of bacon. Removed bits and drained on paper towel. Saved grease and added 1/2 a head of shredded cabbage, a finely sliced leek, (with green part as well), 2 cloves of minced garlic. Added S & P. Added a little bit of water to make steam, Covered with a tight lid and simmered 10 minutes. Mashed potatoes with milk & butter added. Drained Cabbage mixture and added to the mashed potatoes with the Bacon and folded the mixture together. Served with melted butter and the Corned Beef. Glad I'm Irish!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2007/03/18 00:36:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Does anyone have a good recipe for cooking corned beef and cabbage?

See my post today
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2007/03/18 12:56:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

With all the fans of Kansas City Barbecue out there, I can't believe no one has mentioned the smoked corned beef

I have several friends that I do smoked Corn Beef for every year this time of year. Buddy's right on the money it's great.
Jack
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2007/03/18 14:27:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

quote:

With all the fans of Kansas City Barbecue out there, I can't believe no one has mentioned the smoked corned beef

I have several friends that I do smoked Corn Beef for every year this time of year. Buddy's right on the money it's great.
Jack

How do you keep the pickling spices on it? What else do u use
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 491
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2007/03/18 17:31:41 (permalink)
Boy I am with you Michael Hoffman!
tmizerek
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2007/03/18 17:40:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Does anyone have a good recipe for cooking corned beef and cabbage?

Made this for the first time for yesterday's St Paddy's Day party. Everyone said to make this a tradition.

4½ hours 20 min prep
Change to: servings US Metric
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
1 1/3 cups milk
1 medium onion, chopped,sauteed or microwaved til tender
3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
2 (16 ounce) cans sauerkraut, drained
1 (8 ounce) package medium egg noodles, cooked,drained
1 (3 lb) corned beef briskets, cooked,diced or cubed
8 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
3-4 cups rye bread, cubed,tossed in
4 tablespoons melted butter, lightly toasted in oven on cookie sheet (however much you have on hand works just fine)

1. Cook corned beef, cube, set aside.
2. In large bowl, mix together the soups, milk, onion and mustard, set aside.
3. In medium bowl, mix together the drained sauerkraut, brown sugar and caraway seeds, set aside.
4. Cook noodles and drain.
5. In large crock pot or baking dish layer in order:.
6. kraut mixture.
7. noodles.
8. soup mixture.
9. corned beef.
10. cheese.
11. Bake on low in crock pot for about 3-4 hours til it starts to bubble a little.
12. Top with toasted rye bread cubes, bake about 20-30 minutes longer.
13. *Ifbaking in oven, bake covered at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, top with bread cubes, bake uncovered for about 10-15 minutes longer or til all is hot.

buttrdish
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2007/03/18 18:02:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

The most common mistake with corned beef and cabbage is when people throw it all into the same pot. The potatoes turn into a greasy, salty, watery mess. I always boil the veggies seperately. That way the meat is falling apart, but the potatoes aren't.

Duh! Hitting hand on head! Sheesh, talk about obvious, just doing what my folks ALWAYS did! Thanks, EliseT
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2007/03/18 21:43:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

quote:

Jack

How do you keep the pickling spices on it? What else do u use

Buddy,
Additional Question---Do you use an actual Corned Beef Briskit or do you just smoke a regular beef briskit?

RSVP PLZ
YourPalWill
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2007/04/30 13:16:52 (permalink)
This thread reminds me of a conversation I heard between a waiter and patron at the Second Avenue Deli years ago.

Patron: "I'll have a corned beef sandwich very lean."

Waiter: "Corned beef is fatty. If you want lean, I'll bring you turkey. But, don't ask me to screw up the corned beef."
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1