How do you eat corned beef?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3314
2004/01/13 09:05:06 (permalink)

How do you eat corned beef?

Today's Restaurant of the Day, DZ Akins features a picture of a corned beef sandwich. I prefer to eat my corned beef extra lean(no fat at all), thinly sliced or shaved, on rye, with yellow mustard, and a pickle on the side. A reuben would also be a top choice as long as the corned beef was extra lean and thinly sliced.

108 Replies Related Threads

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 09:18:28 (permalink)
    I like mine with some of the fat on it. I also like it on pumpernickel first or marbled rye second with brown mustard and a pickle on the side.

John
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 09:36:05 (permalink)
    I love corned beef. It has to be fatty as hell and tender and tasty. I like it piled high on rye usually without mustard. When it comes to corned beef, its a similar story to bacon. Its gotta have fat. That helps round out the taste. If it ain't got the fat, it ain't real corned beef, pastrami or bacon. So eat something else and stop spoiling it by telling all the counter people at the better deli's "I want corned beef but no fat" " My husband just had heart surgery". The response needs to be "LADY, order a tomato platter with a little vinegar on the side, but don't order my corned beef" Sorry if I am offending anyone but I get real serious and passionate about keeping certain foods they way I think they need to remain.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 09:39:41 (permalink)
    I like it anyway I can get it - especially in hash!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 09:51:13 (permalink)
    I like my corned beef steamed, fatty and thick sliced and piled on rye with just a touch of mustard.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 10:15:03 (permalink)
    I like corned beef hot and fatty piled high on pumpernickel (I like rye too !) with a couple of slices of swiss cheese and lots of hot spicey mustard and a dill pickel on the side !
    Dipstick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 10:25:25 (permalink)
    I absolutely love deli-fresh corn beef wrapped around a giant dill with a mild horseradish sauce for dipping!
    Ruebens and Hash are also high on the list!
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 10:43:16 (permalink)
    Yellow mustard piled high on rye, handcut and the juices rolling down your sleeves.
    Howard you are entirely right. Leave your diet at home where it belongs.
    Ask for no fat at Schwartz's in Montreal and they will throw you out on the street.
    Lone Star
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 10:51:45 (permalink)
    Does anyone have a good recipe for cooking corned beef and cabbage?
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 11:19:35 (permalink)
    Yummy

I like my corned beef on the lean side with enough fat to be juicy, but not huge chunks of fat. Got to be served hot on fresh rye bread with crispy crust and soft center, with spicy brown deli style mustard, and good dour kosher dill pickles and dill green tomatoes on the side.

Can't get it like that at home, but I had a great corned beef when I was in Los Angeles a few months ago. I think the place was called Jerry's Famous Deli. It was right across from a large hospital (Ceders of Sinai ?)a few streets down from the Beverly Mall. I wanted to order a years supply to go to take home with me.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 11:24:09 (permalink)
    I like my corned beef warm, with some fat on it, with Gulden's mustard, on fresh rye with seeds. I like it by itself and I also like it with swiss cheese if available (only non-kosher delis will have this option).
    I also enjoy it on toasted rye with chopped liver.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 11:31:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

I use a great recipe and get rave reviews whenever I have served it. I will post the recipe in next day or so.
    Lone Star
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 11:33:58 (permalink)
    I'll look forward to it Katie
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18857
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 11:42:49 (permalink)
    I prefer first-cut corned beef. That's the lean end of the brisket. I like it piled high on corn rye with a good, grainy mustard, preferably Batampte mustard. When I make one I use half a pound of the thin-sliced corned beef.

My favorite sandwich using corned beef is something that used to be called an Al's Special at a place called Al's in New Haven (Whalley, corner of Sherman) that is no longer. It was equal amounts of corned beef and pastrami on rye with swiss cheese, dark mustard, onion and tomato. This sandwich was at least three inches thick, and the hot corned beef, hot pastrami and cheese were heated till the cheese melted. Then the mustard was added, and then the raw onion and tomato were placed on top. I make this at home about once every couple of months (because that's about all I can afford at close to $15 a pound for corned beef and the same for pastrami at the kosher market).
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18857
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 11:53:19 (permalink)
    quote:

I made some last Wednesday. I use a packaged corned beef brisket. You put it in a stock pot, cover it with water and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and skim the scum off the top of the water. Then simmer for about two hours, or according to package directions. Then I add however many potatoes I need for the number of people eating, peeled and cut into fairly large pieces. I cut a head of cabbage into four wedges and, with about 20 minutes left to go I drop in the cabbage.

I slice the corned beef across the grain about 1/4 inch thick. I place the potatoes on the platter with the sliced corned beef, then add the cabbage, from which I have removed the tough core after cooking. My next, probably unhealthy, move is to put a good portion of butter on each of the cabbage wedges. I also serve butter at the table for use on the rye or pumpernickel bread being served, and for those who cannot eat boiled potatoes without butter.
    alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 11:59:38 (permalink)
    I like corned beef and cabbage with carrots and potatoes, I like to mash the potatoes and carrots together with some butter. Add a glass of Guinness extra stout and I am in heaven.

IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 12:00:43 (permalink)
    My dad used to boil the corned beef with mustard water.. then slice it thin, pile it thick on some good rye with mustard... we'd have pickeled tomatoes, sours and half sours on the side. It's 12pm.. and I'm hungry..

Mom at work
    Lone Star
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 12:09:48 (permalink)
    These posts are making me hungry too! I see a corned beef dinner coming up at the Lone Star house.

What is mustard water????/
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 12:12:21 (permalink)
    Lone Star.. take yellow mustard and squirt it into the water your going to boil the beef in.... dad always did it to his taste... it gives the beef a better flavor

Mom at work..
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3314
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 12:24:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

Corned beef and chopped liver has always been a popular Chicago deli sandwich and the only way I would ever ate chopped liver.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 12:38:15 (permalink)
    quote:

This is the way I do it.

I simmer my corned beef on the stove with the spices and water to cover until fork tender. I remove the meat to a platter, keep warm. I strain the juices, discard spices. In a large electric skillet, I layer rows of cabbage quartered, new potatoes cut in half, and baby carrots. I try to make two layers. I pour in the corn beef stock(about 2-3 cups), give it few grinds of fresh black pepper and steam until the vegetables, mainly potatoes are fork tender. While this is steaming, I slice my corn beef in generous, but not overly large slices. When my veggies are done, I lay the meat across the veggies and serve right out of the electric skillet. Makes for eay clean up! Hope this helps.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7272
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 13:04:50 (permalink)
    Fatty corned beef, sliced thinly, on marble rye with Creole mustard and a big 'ol dill pickle.

Now corned beef and cabbage is an entirely different animal! My first attempt at being gainfully employed in Boston was to become the chef at The Olde Irish Alehouse in Dedham, MA. A French-trained chef in an Irish joint. Right. So every Thursday we served corned beef and cabbage (the corned beef part is Jewish and not Irish, they actually make this dish using a shoulder ham). So I put the corned beef in the pots with the water and some pickling spice (I think my mother or someone did this). We nearly had an Irish revolt! PLAIN WATER! NO SPICE! Alright, already, sheesh, those Irish are touchy! The cabbage, onions, carrots and spuds were perfectly cooked. But the turnips.......oh, the turnips.......well I cooked purple top turnips and all the customers said, "what the heck is that? Where are the yellow turnips??" You got me, what is a yellow turnip in Bostonese? A rutabega! Needless to say I didn't stay too long at that restaurant. But I did cook over 300 lbs. of corned beef for Paddy's Day! And now the rutabega is my favorite part of "boiled dinner".
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 13:15:25 (permalink)
    Here in Baltimore, a very popular corned beef sandwich is the Cloak and Dagger. It's corned beef with cole slaw and russian dressing on rye. Some places will add swiss as well. I always like a good deli mustard on the bottom slice of bread, then the corned beef topped with slaw and the russian dressing on the top slice of rye. Don't know where the name came from.

Many years ago there was a very popular large sit down deli which had numbers next to each sandwich or combo. You can still tell an old timer counterman you want a 103 and you'll get a Cloak and Dagger.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 13:16:40 (permalink)
    I forgot to say that I really enjoy a sandwich made with corned beef and pastrami mixed in together. Especially if it is cooked and served properly. I can't stand it when they slice the corned beef and stick in the microwave to warm it up. How can do that to good corned beef?

John
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 13:24:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I like my corned beef steamed, fatty and thick sliced and piled on rye with just a touch of mustard.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Amen, but with two touches of mustard, and a half-sour dill pickle on the side!
    Lone Star
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 13:29:24 (permalink)
    Oh lleechef - adventures in cooking!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 13:48:39 (permalink)
    The Mayor's Choice-
    Forget the bread. The concept is a New England Style Boiled Dinner, PLUS Cabbage. Set aside about 1/2 of the little package of Pickling stuff that comes with the Corned Beef...I like mine to be only lightly seasoned. The recipes already listed sound great, but pull out a bunch of Butter to be added on the cabbage when it is served. This is meant for a Large and rather Primitive bowl type of serving, with towels like one would have at the seafood steamer table. The meat should be cut or better, Torn apart into medium sized chunks, The cabbage quartered, the other veggies would be soft and smushable. Set the ground rules to include picking up pieces with your fingers... So it can be sloppy and drippie and still be a good thing to devour. Ahhh St Paddies Day is forthcoming, I see one of these in my future.
    cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 13:59:26 (permalink)
    I like to eat corned beef with an invisible, impenetrable shield surrounding me and my plate so my hubby can't steal a bite!

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4116
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 14:14:28 (permalink)
    Thin-sliced=-----as they say, "mile-high". Rye bread, with thin slices of onion and brown mustard. Yum!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: How do you eat corned beef? 2004/01/13 14:17:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

I like my corned beef warm, with some fat on it, with Gulden's mustard, on fresh rye with seeds. I like it by itself and I also like it with swiss cheese if available (only non-kosher delis will have this option).

My style exactly---but ive never had it with the chopped liver on rey--sound really good though!!!
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1