How do "you" find good Roadfood?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
flyseye
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 470
RE: How do "you" find good Roadfood? 2007/04/29 18:53:45 (permalink)
Simply find the old local neighborhood tavern, sit at the bar, order a beer, and ask somebody. Seldom fails.
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: How do "you" find good Roadfood? 2007/04/29 19:19:29 (permalink)
I eat a lot of bad food. As an example, about 2 months ago I was heading east out of memphis looking for a bbq gem. I stopped and ate..moved to the next town and asked for recommendations. Stopped and ate again. I learned that local recommendations are often worth squat. One thing I've learned about ribs and pulled pork is that locals often don't really know what's good. They just think they do.

If you just want the good stuff read a roadfood book. If you want to find a gem to share, you gotta eat a lot of bad food.

But it sure makes the gem worthwhile.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: How do "you" find good Roadfood? 2007/04/29 20:49:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Davydd,
Going to have the Walleye while you're at it? Say hi to Iowa for me.
The Bear

Walleye in Iowa? " /> All I saw was one catfish caught at Pine Lake State Park. No, I went for Iowa's best pork tenderloin sandwich. Report coming soon.

http://www.townhousesupperclub.com/fsmenu.htm
I was aware of your primary mission. But, I also happened to notice that this recipent of the 2006 Tenderloin award in Wellsburg, Ia., also had Walleye on the Friday and Saturday menu.
The Bear
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6374
RE: How do "you" find good Roadfood? 2007/04/29 21:59:18 (permalink)
Bear,

I didn't even look at the menu. I was there for one thing and one thing only. My report is posted in the Pork Tenderloins thread.
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: How do "you" find good Roadfood? 2007/05/28 16:18:26 (permalink)
Depending on what I'm driving I'll take a ride through the town looking for the usual clues. Not an option when I'm driving a truck.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6831
RE: How do "you" find good Roadfood? 2007/05/28 23:53:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

I eat a lot of bad food. As an example, about 2 months ago I was heading east out of memphis looking for a bbq gem. I stopped and ate..moved to the next town and asked for recommendations. Stopped and ate again. I learned that local recommendations are often worth squat. One thing I've learned about ribs and pulled pork is that locals often don't really know what's good. They just think they do.

If you just want the good stuff read a roadfood book. If you want to find a gem to share, you gotta eat a lot of bad food.

But it sure makes the gem worthwhile.

I feel bad for you as I have never had bad food.......anywhere. We happened to be in Mt. Shastna CA one Friday, I was walking downtown and smelled Q! Here was this guy with his wood and grill doing ribs, chicken and steak. I bought ribs and steak and walked back to our campground. Divine! The next day we met up with Bill Voss and he knew EXACTLY who I was talking about. But even when we're in an area where we have NO CLUE we always manage to scope out roadfood.
RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: How do "you" find good Roadfood? 2007/05/29 04:17:45 (permalink)
Never had bad food? That's pretty amazing. It's pretty easy with small bbq places to provide the appearance that they are making real que (not to be confused with real good que). The only way to know is to taste.

On the last trip, I probably had 6 different one bite meals...once you had one bite you know if the sandwich is worth finishing. None of these were. That doesn't mean they were terrible and most people would just eat their sandwich and move on to the next meal. But the goal was to find one very good sandwich hiding in all the "just food". Other then trying them, I don't know of any other way.

Perhaps I should have said just food instead of bad food but when I take one bite, throw the remainder in the trash, and wouldn't go back, to me that's bad food while others would find it perfectly acceptable food. I don't usually finish a just food meal unless it's something I make myself for sustenance.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1