How do you like them eggs

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/29 18:44:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

My husband called me from Den Haag last night and told me that he was taken for hamburgers for lunch, and the burgers were served with a fried egg on top.

Interesting!

I know I mentioned this somewhere, but in Argentina they have a dish called Bife al Caballo -- it is a thick steak atop a bed of fries, all crowned by a fried egg or two. Argentines eat very late, and I have seen people order this cholersterol special at midnight, and follow it with ice cream.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18945
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/29 19:03:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

And where would the world be without spaghetti carbonara? I'm still wating for National Spaghetti Carbonara Day to be instituted.

I also like to use eggs when I make fried rice and mu-shu dishes.

That does it. I know what I'm having for dinner tonight. Darn. I have to go get some pancetta.

I use eggs for the fried rice, but I've never made mu-shu.

Spaghetti carbonara was one of my son's favorite dishes before he went vegetarian. When he's home from college, I make it with Yve's fake canadian bacon. It's hardly pancetta by any stretch of the imagination, but it's better than nothing.

I think my favorite egg-cooking scene in a movie is at the end of Big Night, when Stanley Tucci makes a humble pan of scrambled eggs the way Rembrandt could create a splendid drawing with a few, simple strokes. Note that I am omitting Paul Newmann and his famous scene from this thread.

What's the matter? Can't you handle hard-cooked eggs.

You're right about the scrambled eggs in Big Night.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/29 19:19:31 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

My husband called me from Den Haag last night and told me that he was taken for hamburgers for lunch, and the burgers were served with a fried egg on top.

Interesting!

I know I mentioned this somewhere, but in Argentina they have a dish called Bife al Caballo -- it is a thick steak atop a bed of fries, all crowned by a fried egg or two. Argentines eat very late, and I have seen people order this cholersterol special at midnight, and follow it with ice cream.

Grampy: You are right about the hours people keep in Argentina. When I was there, I was on Tennessee time. I had breakfast at 5:00AM, Lunch at 11:00AM and Dinner at 5:00PM. Folks down there really do not start dinner until at least 9:00PM or later.

I stayed at the Alveral Palace and they thought I was very strange with my hours, but I happened to be a early bird. I generally was in the sack by 9:00PM and they were just starting.

I love their steak, wine and potatoes. Breakfast was a treat at my hotel. It was a huge thing.

There was a neat cigar joint next door to my hotel. I bought Cuban cigars. They were not cheap but they were great. That was about 10 years ago and I think the cheapest was about $10 and they went up to $100. Good stuff huh?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/29 19:55:09 (permalink)
For breakfast, I love poached eggs on English muffins

for lunch.........scotch eggs

for dinner........Veal Schnitzel a la Holstein
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/29 20:00:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

quote:

Interesting!

Grampy: You are right about the hours people keep in Argentina. When I was there, I was on Tennessee time. I had breakfast at 5:00AM, Lunch at 11:00AM and Dinner at 5:00PM. Folks down there really do not start dinner until at least 9:00PM or later.

I stayed at the Alvera Palace and they thought I was very strange with my hours, but I happened to be a early bird. I generally was in the sack by 9:00PM and they were just starting.

I love their steak, wine and potatoes. Breakfast was a treat at my hotel. It was a huge thing.

There was a neat cigar joint next door to my hotel. I bought Cuban cigars. They were not cheap but they were great. That was about 10 years ago and I think the cheapest was about $10 and they went up to $100. Good stuff huh?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Talk about coincidence, I lived across the street from The Alvear Palace for two years or so. The meat was usually as big as a football and as tender as a turnip.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/29 20:08:51 (permalink)
At the Alvear Palace, Breakfast was not a big deal but dinner was. The best steak in the world is Argentine blue stem fed beef. In addition the red wine is super and their potatoes were wonderful.

USA BBQ is great, but Argentine style BBQ was excellent also.

I really enjoyed the shopping in the aread adjacent to the Alvear Palace and I visited the tomb of Eva Perom.

The Tango shows were super.

Eggs were not a big deal as I recall.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Ralph Isbill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/29 21:57:02 (permalink)
I like my eggs on a plate!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/29 23:36:33 (permalink)
Scrambled...burn 'em. Or, in an omelette with bacon and cheddar. Keep the veggies away from my eggs. Plant stuff has no place with animal stuff.

Steve
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/29 23:39:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Why is my name blue?
It held its breath too long?
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 00:25:04 (permalink)
All the way onto the second page and no one mentioned bibimbap yet? Huh.

My canonical way to eat eggs is over easy, with the yolks still completely runny, then mashed up with the side of my fork into a kind of amorphous mass of minced white, completely covered with yolk. My family used to look at me like I was nuts. My wife understands, luckily.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 02:33:39 (permalink)
I used to only eat them sunnyside up, but, with partial deference to health concerns, it's 'over easy,' now.

As far as special preparations - huevos rancheros or migas.

And I must have freshly ground black pepper - do not like to eat eggs without it and no other pepper or sauce does it for me.

The best cheese I've found for eggs is gruyere although I usually don't have it on hand; I frequently use parmesan or Swiss.
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 08:14:02 (permalink)
i enjoy eggs any time of day-- not necessarily only for breakfast.. but if it's a dinner thing they are usually omlettes with ham/cheese/and anything else around that sounds good..
otherwise-- egg sandwiches-- on lightly toasted bread with a little butter and cheese.
egg salad......
eggs benedict........
scrambled -- sometimes with a little shredded cheese mixed in .. .( and don't forget the ketchup!)
over easy...
guess i just like the "incredible edible egg" jus tabout anyway....
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 09:43:07 (permalink)
2 eggs over easy gently set atop a pile of hash browns with cheese, then mix it all together, Waffle House style

Deviled eggs
Pickled purple eggs
egg salad
omelette with ham, cheese, onions, bell pepper, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes
Sushi_Girl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 10:10:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

JimInKy sent me a neat recipe for pickled eggs. JimInKy does not add beet juice to his pickled eggs. I add it but I am not sure it adds to the taste, but it makes them pretty. They go very well with evening libation. I sure do like them. SO makes a great deviled egg. I like the way the Waffle House does their fried eggs. I like boiled eggs with salt and pepper and sometimes a little hot sauce preferably Cholula
which is my favorite hot sauce.

Sundancer i LOVE Cholula! i eat it with everything i can, i first had it at some mexican place that if i recall was terrible, but i loved the cholula so much that i bought some there.
The way i like my eggs:
Soft scrambled with some smoked salmon and green onions.
Poached soft, no runny white but runny yolk, with a big hunk of toasted rosemary bread to dip into it.
Over Easy and served with home fries and ketchup.
A big Omelet with green and red peppers, onions, and spinach.

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 11:16:59 (permalink)
Come to think of it, Clothier, I forgot my heritage, too. Every morning on my way to school, my buddies would stop at the deli and get the "breakfast special" -- 2 eggs any way you like 'em (and as my above post would indicate, scrambled, burn 'em) on a hard roll, with bacon and cheese (or ham or sausage, if you like), with homefries, small coffee, and a juice for about $2.50. Which other thread said breakfast was too expensive??

Steve
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 11:30:46 (permalink)
quote:

And where would the world be without spaghetti carbonara? I'm still wating for National Spaghetti Carbonara Day to be instituted.

Calvin Trillin is The Man! I'm with you on Big Night too.
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 11:35:19 (permalink)
I like `em scrambled plain or with veggies or with smoked salmon and slightly carmelized red onion, in fried rice and fried noodle dishes, deviled, egg salad, hard-boiled in potato salad, and in the EggMcRhodeswich - over medium with on a toasted english muffin with fried kielbasa, a slice of melted processed cheese, and ketchup
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 11:40:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

quote:
Originally posted by Rhodes

quote:

Calvin Trillin is The Man! I'm with you on Big Night too.

It was so sad when Alice died over the summer. I felt like I'd lost a friend and eating companion.

That was really sad. It made me feel better when he still seemed to be keeping his spirits up in his new book and talking about how his new grandchild was showing every sign of being a good eater, etc.
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 13:22:45 (permalink)
hey clothier whats a baily? I know what a bialy is, but a baily?....just joshing ya...

Your reference to the good ol heritage made me remember beef frye and eggs on sundays. Since all my other friends got to enjoy bacon and eggs at any given time, beef frye and fried eggs were a real artery clogging treat!

i wonder if an egg bagel counts? And even though it has no egg in it, whenever i have an egg cream, i think of eating eggs...
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 14:15:09 (permalink)
Just read through the whole thread quickly and I'm not sure if it was mentioned and I missed it;but I also love roast pork egg foo yung.
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 15:45:55 (permalink)
Fried eggs, hard whites and runny yolks, cut up and mixed in with a mess of hot buttered grits. Ain't no better way to eat 'em!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 17:19:01 (permalink)
Due to the Atkins thing, eggs are a big thing on my diet. I have watched the price of eggs escalate big time. I was buying small eggs for $0.69 a dozen. Now they are $1.39. I still buy a couple of dozen a week and I boil them a dozen at a time and put in the frige where they are there for the snacks.

Salt and pepper and a little Cholula and they are really good but even that gets a little old after a while.

I think I will pickel a dozen using the recipe that JimInKy sent me.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 18:30:44 (permalink)
Wow! I was surprised at the extent and ways I enjoy eggs. I like them fresh and often get them from a nearby farmer.

My list:
Over easy or soft scrambled in butter
Poached with buttered English muffins
Eggs Benedict
Egg salad
Pickled eggs that I make
Deviled eggs
In potato salad and tuna salad
Custards
French toast, which I make frequently.
Egg sandwich with bacon or ham on light toast.

Dinner tonight in snowed-in, single digit Lexington: Bacon and eggs and biscuits with butter and new sorghum syrup. Maybe I'll do some grits too.

Eggs, glorius eggs,
Eggs, how we do love them!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 19:18:31 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
I prefer mine one egg lumber. (Try ordering that and see what YOU get.)
Termitically, Ort. Carlton in The Usual Place... I Never Leave.
P. S. Seriously - I especially like my eggs in omelettes: creative ones using whatever's available that day for stuffing. The Amazing Travis at The Normaltown Cafe' has made me omelettes that look like junkyards and taste like diamonds (a little hard to chew, though!). Part of the joy is the improvisational aspect: he appears to enjoy the creation of it all as much as I do the devouring. - Someday that man's gonna open his own place, and I'll be as regular a regular there as I can possibly be. Gracious.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/30 19:25:02 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Calvin Trillin is The Man!

It was so sad when Alice died over the summer. I felt like I'd lost a friend and eating companion.

That was really sad. It made me feel better when he still seemed to be keeping his spirits up in his new book and talking about how his new grandchild was showing every sign of being a good eater, etc.

Dearfolk,
It was Calvin Trillin who first led me into the world of esoteric food. Then I found a tattered secondhand paperback book, The New Orleans Underground Gourmet by Richard H. Collin, for 15 cents in a thrift store. THEN I met up with Jane & Michael... all in one short period of time. Since then, I haven't been the same.
Gustatorially-Of-Wind, Ort. Carlton in Near-Calm Athens 30601.
P. S. That news about Alice sorrowed me as well. To know that Calvin is hanging in there makes a great deal of difference to me. He must be a fun curmudgeon to eat out with....
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/31 19:25:28 (permalink)
bialy--- a bagel that is baked not boiled ( like a traditional bagel) they pinch the hole together and put onion/poppy topping on them -- at least that's the way we did it at the bagel shop where i used to work in bricktown, new jersey....
they are good.....although i like bagels better-- BUT can't get a good one out here in Indiana......... oh well-- that's the price you pay..
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/01/31 23:46:21 (permalink)
How do I love my eggs? Let me count the ways...

1. Fried over easy served atop a slice of pork roll with cheese melted on top.
2. Poached and served atop lightly toasted and buttered wheat bread.
3. Scrambled with some diced ham (or sliced hot dog!) and shredded cheddar.
4. Benedict... with oodles of sauce!
5. Fried, sunny side up with a slice or two of scrapple.

Yum... is it breakfast time yet?
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/02/01 14:23:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Calvin Trillin is The Man!

Dearfolk,
It was Calvin Trillin who first led me into the world of esoteric food. Then I found a tattered secondhand paperback book, The New Orleans Underground Gourmet by Richard H. Collin, for 15 cents in a thrift store. THEN I met up with Jane & Michael... all in one short period of time. Since then, I haven't been the same.
Gustatorially-Of-Wind, Ort. Carlton in Near-Calm Athens 30601.
P. S. That news about Alice sorrowed me as well. To know that Calvin is hanging in there makes a great deal of difference to me. He must be a fun curmudgeon to eat out with....

Yes, I happened upon a copy of American Fried when I was but a young budding-foodie, and I never looked back! I've always had a fantasy about sharing a meal with him, preferably at one of his favorite Chinese restaurants or at Fats Goldberg's pizzeria.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/02/01 22:45:40 (permalink)
quote:

Yes, I happened upon a copy of American Fried when I was but a young budding-foodie, and I never looked back! I've always had a fantasy about sharing a meal with him, preferably at one of his favorite Chinese restaurants or at Fats Goldberg's pizzeria.

Rhodes,
Fats Goldberg was a very real person... he remained half of his former three-cases self to the end. He died recently, not long either before or after Alice did (I forget which). Poor Calvin has been through the ringer recently; all of us who are his fans need to cheer him on all we can.
Ramblingly (I'll Ramble Even More When It Warms Up A Bit!), Ort. Carlton in Chilly-But-Bearable Athens, GA.
P. S. I can't help but wonder if Calvin would enjoy visiting this board upon occasion....
nanster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: How do you like them eggs 2004/02/06 12:27:23 (permalink)
I'm an egg fiend! Everything (except dessert) is better with a fried egg on top

Sometimes I hardboil a bunch and keep them in the fridge for snacking. They're great wrapped in roasted red pepper.

For a Super Bowl party, I made mushroom and cheese frittatas. For a Christmas party, it was a 2 kinds of deviled eggs - tomato & horseradish, and curry & shallot.

I also like loco moco, a local Hawaiian dish. It's a hamburger patty and gravy over rice, with a fried egg on top.

When I was little, my dad would have a raw egg for breakfast. He would tap holes into both ends and suck everything out. Of course I had to copy him...
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1