Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

How do you like your Mac and Cheese?

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 90 of 90
Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Fri, 04/8/05 3:30 AM (permalink)
Just as it's supposed to be, with only two ingredients; macaroni and cheese. Anything else is a pasta casserole.

jamesb

• Total Posts: 31
    RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Tue, 04/12/05 3:09 PM (permalink)
    At the risk of sounding like a suckup, one of the mac and cheese recipes I've been using lately is from Jane and Michael's Square Meals. Ridiculously straight forward, and pretty tasty. The quest for the ultimate mac and cheese is lifelong for me; so many mac and cheeses, so little time. JAMESB

jettababs

• Total Posts: 222
      RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Tue, 04/12/05 4:23 PM (permalink)
      I have yet to have mac n cheese that is as good as my dad's (although I admit that his is so wonderful, I haven't tried too many others...).
      Boil elbow mac, preferably whatever is handy (Barilla, usually, used to be Creamettes).
      While that's cooking, make a white sauce, with generous dashes of dry mustard. Finely grate some very sharp cheddar and add slowly to the white sauce, while stirring. Have set aside some diced cheddar, probably a handful or two, depending on how many people and how gluttonous they're feeling. When the noodles are done, drain them and stir the cheesy white sauce through thoroughly, then add the diced cheese, gradually, stirring between every few dices, then spoon onto warmed plates, and serve with tomatoes warm from the garden. The shredded cheese completely dissolves into the white sauce, and the diced cheese melts into the curves of the noodles, but stays gooey--it's heavenly. And the tomatoes offset the richness perfectly.
      Guess what we're having for dinner tonight??

corabeth

• Total Posts: 157
        RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Tue, 04/19/05 3:31 PM (permalink)
        I haven't made mac & cheese since my 4 children have all moved out of the house. Mac & cheese was a staple meal when they were all home. My recipe is from trial & error, a real stick to your ribs kind of meal, nothing fancy or gourmet, but one of my kids favorites.

I used Kroger elbow macaroni(I have always found Kroger brand products to be equal to brand name products). I made a large batch of a medium thick white sauce & added Veleeta. Added the sauce to the macaroni( the macaroni should be swimming in the sauce, as the macaroni soaks up the sauce when baking),then add shredded colby cheese. Then pour into a buttered glass casserole. Bake at 350 until bubbling all over, even in the center & top layer of macaroni is starting to crust over. My children wanted no variations, just lots of cheese & cheese sauce & a crusty top.

I will be with my 4 oldest grandchilren next weekend. I think I'll make a big batch of mac & cheese for them.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
          RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Tue, 04/19/05 4:16 PM (permalink)
          Moms recipe which was grams recipe is the one I use, a white sauce with plenty of cheddar and a couple jars of cheezewhiz, cover the top with breadcrumbs and more grated cheddar, bake till browned.. My daughter adds canned sliced tomatoes..

luv

• Total Posts: 22
            RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Sat, 05/7/05 12:50 AM (permalink)
            i like baked macaroni 'n cheese. i like mine best but like some restaurants'. the boxed stuff is not good.

sizz_leteen

• Total Posts: 118
              RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Sat, 05/7/05 8:32 AM (permalink)
              I like the Kraft Dinner Sharp Cheddar and Extra Creamy varieties.
              Most frozen mac and cheese with the little crumbs on top are great, too. As far as restaurant mac and cheese goes, nothing beats Boston Market.

ariesmel

• Total Posts: 1
                RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Tue, 06/14/05 11:25 PM (permalink)
                I do confess to using easy mac now and again, but my favorite is the homeade, cheesy, creamy kind.
                Try this: Boil one box of elbow macaroni, drain and rinse, place in your deepest casserole dish.
                Place two cups milk, half a stick of butter and some salt and pepper in a sauce pan on medium heat. Add to it: 2 lbs Cooper Sharp Cheese (must be Coopers, this is important!) cut up. 2 lbs Land 'O Lakes white american cheese. 1 small box of velveeta and 2 cups of mozzarella. Melt it all down until you have a cheesy creamy sauce then pour mixture over top of your noodles. Sprinkle mozzarella on top and bake at 350 until chesse is bubbly and slightly browned.
                Delicious!!!!

Pep-O-Mint

• Total Posts: 7
                  RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Tue, 07/5/05 5:58 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by jamesb

At the risk of sounding like a suckup, one of the mac and cheese recipes I've been using lately is from Jane and Michael's Square Meals. Ridiculously straight forward, and pretty tasty. The quest for the ultimate mac and cheese is lifelong for me; so many mac and cheeses, so little time. JAMESB

I'll be a suckup with you. This *is* my mac and cheese.

foodie4thoughts

• Total Posts: 4
                    RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Wed, 07/6/05 7:55 PM (permalink)
                    My favorite Mac & Cheese is definetly Stouffers "frozen". Yuuuummm.
                    Cook it a little longer for crispy, cheesy corners. Lots of fresh ground pepper and course salt.
                    If I have the time, there is nothing like homemade with Sharp cheddar.
                    Do you have the time???

Sandy Eggo

• Total Posts: 226
                      RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Sat, 09/10/05 4:00 PM (permalink)
                      I bake it until it browns on top with some bread crumbs on top and extra cheese.

For some reason I like to put A-1 Steak Sauce on it.

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                        RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Sun, 09/11/05 2:10 AM (permalink)
                        Hello all,
                        Growing up, we never had mac and cheese. I embraced it first at the age of 14 at a United Methodist Church social meal. I had went out on my own and left the Brethren Church of my parents. The mac and cheese was not out of a box, and it was a piece of heaven. A crusty top of browned cheese, with firm noodles down through layers of sticky cheese to the bottom of the dish. I really can't describe the richness of cheese and noodles merging together. It was like eating meat, but wasn't meat.
                        In 1990, I hurt my back and my family lost my income. We decided my wife should get her Ph.D. if we wanted a good future. So, we went to Tuscaloosa, Al., for her to get her degree. I was a househusband and made so much boxed mac and cheese for my family that that they got sick of it. But it helped us survive. Now, I really love both types of mac and cheese, homemade and boxed, but the boxed reminds me of my term as a poor, househusband.
                        Take Care
                        Fieldthistle

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                          RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Sun, 09/11/05 10:23 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Fieldthistle

So, we went to Tuscaloosa, Al., for her to get her degree
                          It's time for me to stop the nice-guy act. Geaux, Tigers! Go, Big Orange!

Sundancer7

RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Sun, 09/11/05 3:18 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
                            Originally posted by Fieldthistle

So, we went to Tuscaloosa, Al., for her to get her degree
                            It's time for me to stop the nice-guy act. Geaux, Tigers! Go, Big Orange!

I really like the way that Rick splits up his devotion. Forget the tigers and go VOLS!

Paul E. Smith
                            Knoxville, TN

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                              RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Mon, 09/12/05 5:50 AM (permalink)
                              Hello,
                              Sorry Rick and Sundancer, but the Tide is going to roll...ROLL TIDE
                              That Tiger better watch out for Big Al.
                              Fieldthistle

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                                RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Mon, 09/12/05 1:11 PM (permalink)
                                The best Mac&cheese I've eaten is from The Southern Cook's Handbook by Courtney Taylor and Bonnie Travis. The book has all manner of Southern staples like they ought to be.

dreamzpainter

RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Mon, 09/12/05 4:30 PM (permalink)
                                  vols, tigers, tide,...... yaw do realize god is a penn state fan right?.... after all he did make the sky blue and white.........

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                    RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Mon, 09/12/05 4:55 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

vols, tigers, tide,...... yaw do realize god is a penn state fan right?.... after all he did make the sky blue and white.........

Nope....he's converted to a mac and cheese eatin' GATOR FAN! "RISE OF THE GATOR NATION". Gooooooooooo Gators!

Kiowa1

• Total Posts: 189
                                      RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Mon, 09/12/05 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                      Doesn't matter if it's out of a box or home made as long as it's good.
                                      Day-old warmed up is even better!

dbonnell1

• Total Posts: 13
                                        RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Mon, 09/12/05 5:46 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        I like the Kraft Dinner Sharp Cheddar and Extra Creamy varieties.
                                        Most frozen mac and cheese with the little crumbs on top are great, too. As far as restaurant mac and cheese goes, nothing beats Boston Market.

I have to agree with sizz_leteen. Nothing beats original KD from the box. If it's handy, I will supplement the packet of cheese with a few spoonfuls of Cheez Whiz to make it cheesier. Sizz also beat me to the punch on the restaurant mac - Boston Market is excellent, excellent stuff. The best I have had at any restaurant, let alone a chain. There is a BBQ place in New Milford, CT called "The Cookhouse" that has a "Mac and Cheese for Grownups" that is extremely creamy, with jalepenos and bacon added. Adding chopped, fresh jalepenos to any mac and cheese makes for a zippier flavor.

njkim

• Total Posts: 142
                                          RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Mon, 09/12/05 7:45 PM (permalink)
                                          I really love boxed Kraft Mac & Cheese with some medium salsa mixed in. yum

MYmimi

• Total Posts: 13
                                            RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Mon, 09/12/05 9:20 PM (permalink)
                                            I bet it would be interesting to serve Mac and Cheese like a baked potato bar. Never thought of it until the last two posts. I think I'll try it some time when I have company. Thanks all!!!!

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                              RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Thu, 09/15/05 4:10 PM (permalink)
                                              Jettababs - Your dad recipe is almost straight from Betty Crocker...start with the white sauce (milk, flour, butter, salt, pepper to taste)...the only difference is putting the cheese in the white sauce before plating and the effect is the same...

That's not a slam or anything, that's just about exactly the same way I make my Mac-n-cheese...and it's delicious.

I told my wife I was making Mac-N-Cheese and, thinking of her mother's recipe, wasn't too pleased...but this recipe changed her mind.

The fressh tomato is a nice touch too.

Occasionally, and most sacreligously I presume, I will make a fresh salsa and add that instead of just plain tomato, to spice things up.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                                RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Fri, 12/23/05 10:58 AM (permalink)
                                                I like the Kroger Deluxe mac and cheese. Depending on what I'm serving it with, sometimes I mix in minced onions, green peppers, and celery and a bit of paprika.

Andrea

HotDogHead

• Total Posts: 665
                                                  RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Fri, 12/23/05 1:08 PM (permalink)
                                                  My husband makes a great macaroni and cheese recipe from the late, great Justin Wilson's cookbook.

When short on time, I make Chili Mac. I take a box of boxed macaroni and cheese and prepare according to package directions. Meanwhile, I brown a 1/2 lb. of beef with onions. Add beef, a can of Original Ro*tel tomatoes and mix. Put into a casserole dish. Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips and grated colby jack cheese. Bake for approximately 15 minutes.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                                    • Location: Natchitoches, LA
                                                    RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Fri, 12/23/05 6:06 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by HotDogHead
                                                    When short on time, I make Chili Mac. I take a box of boxed macaroni and cheese and prepare according to package directions. Meanwhile, I brown a 1/2 lb. of beef with onions. Add beef, a can of Original Ro*tel tomatoes and mix. Put into a casserole dish. Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips and grated colby jack cheese. Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
                                                    Sounds good, but I'd probably leave out the chips. How hot does the Ro-tel make it?

HotDogHead

• Total Posts: 665
                                                      RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Wed, 12/28/05 12:32 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
                                                      Originally posted by HotDogHead
                                                      Sounds good, but I'd probably leave out the chips. How hot does the Ro-tel make it?

Not too hot at all. It just adds a nice zip.

meltedcheese

• Total Posts: 12
                                                        RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Tue, 01/3/06 11:41 AM (permalink)
                                                        I like mine with .... plenty of macaroni, plenty of sauce and plenty of cheese !! I would use Krafts when very broke or sometimes when out camping or hiking but I always add extra cheese. Nothing beats a good homemade mac n cheese tho. I always put a good spoonful of english mustard in the sauce, and some chopped up cheese in the mac layers, and plenty grated on top to give a nice golden crust. I don't normally put onion in but I am happy to eat other peoples that do !!!

This time of year is great cos I like to make up a mac and cheese using up all the odds and ends of the christmas cheeses. Anything gratable goes in the sauce and on top, I do finely cut a little onion or scallion into this, then anything crumbly gets thrown into the dish. Its great to dig into a lovely molten chunk of the mac and cheese to discover melting nuggets of all kindsa different cheeses, hehe.

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
                                                          • Location: Kaukauna, WI
                                                          RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Sun, 01/8/06 5:00 AM (permalink)
                                                          I sometimes make something from Velveeta cheese and milk. Along with whatever noodle I choose. You got to be real careful when you cook the sauce or it WILL burn. Mix the sauce and cooked noddles in a pan and bake until it is done. Nummy.

dreamzpainter

• Location: jacksonville, FL
                                                            RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? Mon, 01/9/06 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                                            Ro-Tel is a great time saver and a pantry must have IMHO, the wife thinks its to hot but I believe it adds a good taste to tex-mex-cajun style dishes. But then she considers black pepper a heat source where as I consider a sack of jalapenos, a jug of muscadine and a fishing pole a great way to spend an afternoon at the river...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 90 of 90

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com