How do you like your Skirt?

Author
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
2003/08/07 14:57:22 (permalink)

I love skirt steak. I recently marinated some in an asian type marinade with cumin and coriandar and soy; some in oil and garlic and another portion without any marinade. My family all liked the skirt steak without any marinade the best but all the steak was eaten regardless. I do not see this cut of steak offered much in restaurants. I think it is one of the tastiest, full flavored cuts of meat available. I like it medium rare and it like all meat must be cut across the grain. Comments are welcome.

24 Replies Related Threads

Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 15:27:14 (permalink)
    I keep it simple. First trim all the silver skin, and leave some fat on to keep it moist. I short marinating time with some soy, garlic powder and lime. I has to be grilled, and it's the one meat I don't like really rare, has to be a medium well for me. In my family we don't slice it into thin strips, rather serve a large piece, like a steak.

We serve it with fresh made salsa, flour tortillas, grilled onions, and some ranchero beans.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 15:51:20 (permalink)
    I had never had it (or heard of it) until I moved to Texas. It's called "fajita", and since I started cooking fajita over 20 years ago, I've always served it in a flour tortilla, which is the usual manner (down here, anyway).

Many of the "fajitas" you order in restaurants are not made with skirt steak, and there is certainly no such thing as a "chicken fajita".

It's funny, the first few times I cooked it, I cut it WITH the grain since that looked like the right thing to do. Ah, the foolishness of youth. After wrestling the first few to the ground trying to take bites, I realized my error.

I've tried many, many things to marinate, and I don't remember any one that I didn't like. However, I many times will just use Wish Bone Italian salad dressing. I've had people rave about how good they are, and at times I've acted as if it was some secret marinade passed down in my family.

I like it best grilled over charcoal.

I always make pico de gallo (chopped tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos mixed together; and NO, I do NOT put that nasty cilantro in mine, although most people down here do). I shred some cheese; Mexican white cheese works well, but I've also used cheddar, put out some sour cream and whatever else anyone wants (some like lettuce, salsa, refried beans, etc.), and serve with flour tortillas heated on the grill.

I prefer mine with just pico and cheese, but I also like a little sour cream on there at times.

It's been a few weeks since I've made some. Now I know what we're having for dinner Saturday!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4009
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 15:51:44 (permalink)
    I always marinate it in lime juice, garlic, onion, cilantro and cayenne pepper. I grill it up and serve it with tortillas and beans. It's one of my favorites------just a very flavorful cut of meat.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 15:54:08 (permalink)
    I thought this was about skirt length and I must say that proper business attire means no more that 2 inches above the knee.

BUT, since this is about skirt steak, here in Texas, the best place to buy is at a local carcinera! (sp?)
    wesza
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 16:06:23 (permalink)
    Skirt Steak or Diaphram, has been served in NYC Deli's and Restaurants, especially Kosher Places as Rumanian Tenderloin for over 100 years. It's also popular, together with Flank Steak as the Beef of choice utilized in Chinese Restaurants. Mexican for Fajita. It's also makes some of the tastiest, juicy Hamburger if ground. My grandma, used it for Kreplach filling, and it's popular for Pirogies, Pilemini for russian food. Made into a Cube Steak, with pepper and Garlic its a excellent Steak Sandwich. What seems funny is how the price has become much higher compared to other cuts of beef
    Lone Star
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 16:10:40 (permalink)
    Bushie -

"Pico de gallo, you oughta give it a try-o!
    Even if you’re from Ohio, it’ll get you by-o.
    Don’t get it in your eye-O unless you want to cry-O
    So come on, don’t be shy-O, eat some pico de gallo!"

Lyrics by Trout Fishing in America
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 16:50:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Bushie -

"Pico de gallo, you oughta give it a try-o!
    Even if you’re from Ohio, it’ll get you by-o.
    Don’t get it in your eye-O unless you want to cry-O
    So come on, don’t be shy-O, eat some pico de gallo!"

Lyrics by Trout Fishing in America

You know a lot of little jingles, dontcha, Lone Star?

Well, keep it up! I like 'em!
    Lone Star
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 17:05:34 (permalink)
    Oh, I just remembered that song, one of the favorites sung around the campfire down at the place in South Texas.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 17:20:55 (permalink)
    When I was growing up(sorry, another "Mom used to...)we used to have what I thought my Mom called skirt steaks, it was probably 2 or 3 long slices of beef and was wrapped around to where it kind of looked like a cinnamon roll, or maybe one of those very colorful suckers you buy from Disany World that no ever eats....anyway, the butcher shop(back when they were still in our area)would take a skewer, rather thick and rounded with a pointed end, and push it right through the middle to keep the meat in tack. Then a pat of butter would go in the middle of each "steak sucker". When we ate them we just pulled the skewer out and unrolled the meat. Am I way off here??? Has anyone else ever seen anything like I've described? They were VERY good.
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 17:57:38 (permalink)
    Rusty246 that sounds like a version of the german dish rouladen, which is made with skirt steak.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4009
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 17:58:49 (permalink)
    Places out here sell "pinwheel steaks" which sound very similar, although I think they are made of flank steak
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 18:05:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

Places out here sell "pinwheel steaks" which sound very similar, although I think they are made of flank steak

That's it! I was trying to think of what cut of meat the pinwheel steaks were. I've had them made with flank (bought them already rolled, didn't do it myself). However, they'd be good made with skirt, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what your Mom made, Rusty.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 20:59:08 (permalink)
    Man.....there is a funny comeback (kinda dirty)to this question but I don't want to get kicked off the site until I get over a 100 Posts!
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/07 21:13:31 (permalink)
    Dripping off the plate like at Sammy's Roumanian on the LES. Extra schmaltz, please.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/08/09 00:53:19 (permalink)
    I just got in from doing a bunch of stuff and found this thread full of "skirt chasers". Oddly enough, I had just purchased a couple of beautiful slabs at our local meat market (not the kind you gutter minded people are thinking of). I love skirt. My kids love skirt. My mama loves skirt. How could you not.

I don't even have to tell anyone how I prepare it. Bushie was kind enough to do it for me. Ditto to Bushie except.......Bring on the Cilantro! I never liked that stuff until I moved to Mexico (Baja, between Tecate and Ensenada). I became a cilantro chewing radish eating fool while I was down there. Maybe it is something that has to grow in you, but boy do I like it now. Tacos al carbon con pico de gallo y guacamole para manana.

Will someone please email me a not and tell me why these emoticons have stopped working. Does it have anything to do with pop up blocker? I went back and disabled it for this site, just in case, but did not help. I am entirely too big of a smart ass to do without them Someone might misunderstand and think I am serious (see, I need one right here. Help me, before I lose all my new friends (see, I need another here, as well)
    plumgoodie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/09/29 21:25:27 (permalink)
    Skirt steaks used to be known in LA as Greek Steaks as it was sold in all the greek restaurants. It is great when ground for hamburger. It is also great for Flajitas. How many of you have boiled it before it is peeled. Peel and eat. This is a german treat! A good marinade before BBQ'ing is great.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3301
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/10/09 14:42:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by goldsborscht

Dripping off the plate like at Sammy's Roumanian on the LES. Extra schmaltz, please.

Try one Chicago Style, trimmed lean from the butcher, broiled medium and smothered with lots of grilled onions. The onions are first cooked in Coca Cola and then well grilled.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/10/09 15:17:42 (permalink)
    Flank steak huh? Well you know, it's been years and since there are no more butchers around these parts, I guess I'll just have to see if my local supermarket can make me some, although I'm sure they'll think I've lost my mind when I try to explain. Maybe I should just try to make my own.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2126
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/10/09 16:49:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by goldsborscht

This, my friends, is a good steak!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6803
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/10/09 18:25:55 (permalink)
    OK, somebody has to say it........how do I like my skirt??? Short, short and even shorter, preferably accompanied by stiletto heels. JUST KIDDING! I don't want to get moofed outta here! I put it on one of my menus once and had a hell of a time getting it on a regular basis......AND it was more expensive than sirloin, although I prefer the less "noble" cuts like skirt and flank over tenderloin.....they have more taste!
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/10/09 18:26:52 (permalink)
    quote:

I like mine preferably not caught up in the back of my pantyhose
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/10/09 18:28:59 (permalink)
    and ^5's to llechef for having a like great mind at the same time in posting. You GO GIRL
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6803
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2003/10/09 18:46:41 (permalink)
    thanks, redtressed! I didn't know if I should go there.......but then.......the temptation just got to be too much! I did justify it by actually talking about the FOOD and not the GARMENT. Woofda!" />
    LaurieGee52
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: How do you like your Skirt? 2004/09/28 20:53:15 (permalink)
    Great topic....Skirt Steak is probably my all time favorite piece of steak primarily because it's thin to begin with...my 2nd favorite'd have to be Filet Mignon.....

The simpler it's cooked...the better...a little garlic salt...some Tony's and as my son used to say "Deliciosos".....

LaurieGee52
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1