How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ???

Author
asphalt pete
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2010/08/12 15:34:15 (permalink)

How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ???

C'mon...  you've had the dip....  comes at the finest little Mexican restaurants served all over the South East...   I've found several recipes, but they need cheese you can't get, or it's only available in 35 lb. blocks.  There can't be more than 4-5 ingredients, but whats the trick.... Anybody ????

24 Replies Related Threads

Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/12 15:41:11 (permalink)
    Queso?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10353
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/12 18:38:55 (permalink)
    Queso dip served all over the southEAST? Who woulda thunk it! Perhaps could you mean the SouthWEST? There I can help you.
    Here's my Mexican Cheese Chart that I use compliments of info I received from the EngineCapt:

MEXICAN CHEESE CHART

FRESH CHEESES
    QUESO BLANCO
    Creamy – Enchilada stuffing

QUESO FRESCO
    Like Feta – Crumbly, sprinkle over enchiladas & taquitos     and appetizers, (Botanas)

QUESO PANELA (Also called queso de Canasta)
    Soft Cheese – Snack, Appetizer cheese sometimes flavored

REQUESO
    Loose Ricotta-like. Enchilada filling and cheese spreads

SOFT CHEESES
    QUESO ANEJO
    Aged version of fresco. Garnish over anything

QUESO OAXACA
    A.K.A.  Quesillo. Most popular for Quesadillas

SEMI-SOFT CHEESES
    QUESO ASADERO
    Melting cheese. Use for Queso Fundido

QUESO CHIHUAHUA (Also Queso  Menonita)
    Yellow- Makes queso Frito Fried cheese. Like Cheddar

QUESO JALAPENO
    Snack cheese. Use in quesadillas

SEMI-FIRM CHEESES
    QUESO CRIOLLO
    Yellow – Similar to Munster

OUESO MANCHEGO
    Yellow – Good for melting or with fruit or crackers. Similar to Monterrey Jack

FIRM CHEESES
    QUESO ANEJO ENCHILADO
    Queso Anejo with a spicy red coating. Serve as a Condiment like a strong feta.

QUESO COTIJA
    Sharp crumbly Goat cheese. “The Parmesan of Mexico”. Serve over Beans and Salads

QUESO MANCHEGO VIEJO
    Aged hard cheese. Use over Nachos, Taco  Salads, appetizers called Botanas

The ones you want to use are Queso Oaxaca or Queso Asadero to be authentic. A good Gringo substitute could be to use Pepper Jack Cheese:
    Warm Jalapeno Cheese Dip

"For flavorful warm jalapeno cheese dip, use pepper Jack. A little flour keeps the dip smooth, the evaporated milk makes it creamy, and the turmeric gives it appealing bright color."
    Ingredients:
    1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
    2 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    8 ounces shredded pepper Jack cheese
    1 cup prepared salsa
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    Salt and ground black pepper
    Directions:
    Microwave milk in a 1-quart Pyrex measuring cup until steamy. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and turmeric until smooth, then whisk in milk until creamy and thick. Whisk in cheese. (Dip can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days.) When ready to serve, return cheese sauce to saucepan; stir in salsa and lemon juice, and slowly rewarm. Adjust seasonings, including salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/12 18:45:05 (permalink)
    Here's a source for Mexican Cheeses and all things Mexican

http://www.mexgrocer.com/mexican-cheese-queso.html
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/12 19:13:28 (permalink)
    most texmex places make it with velveeta and rotel hot or extra hot diced tomatos and green chilis.pour the liquid off the rotel, melt cheese, add rotel. I also add chopped onions and stir. someplaces add browned ground beef
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/12 19:16:45 (permalink)
    leftover queso is great melted over hamburgers
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/13 02:23:10 (permalink)
    ynotryme

most texmex places make it with velveeta and rotel hot or extra hot diced tomatos and green chilis.pour the liquid off the rotel, melt cheese, add rotel. I also add chopped onions and stir. someplaces add browned ground beef

I've made this many times but I wouldn't classify it as an authentic Mexican Queso Dip. It's a poor excuse for even a Tex-Mex dip even though maybe a million gallons of it is made for Super Bowl Parties!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/13 07:41:55 (permalink)
    ynotryme

first time i had this was at the California beach home of a fabulous lady--Dottie Baker--ex wife of Texas' notorious Bobby Baker of the ole LBJ era fertilzer scandal---lovED IT--still do -even if it IS a CHEESY dish!
    TacoDrew
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/13 10:13:23 (permalink)
    Here's another fairly easy one that can be made with mozzarella or monterrey jack: http://www.nytimes.com/20...23/dining/233arex.html
    bdtn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/13 10:44:19 (permalink)
    kroger has a white jalapeno velvita type cheese that you just melt .it is just like what the mexican restraunts use here.all the mexi places
    here serve bad to lousey food its what the people here like.if you add green chilis its not to bad.
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 512
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/13 11:38:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the great info on this thread!
    ddbmus
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/13 11:57:15 (permalink)
    Here's one of the best and easiest, from Taqueria del Sol here in Atlanta. Authentic? Perhaps not. Delicious? Absolutely.

Ingredients:
    1 cup milk
    4 cups shredded American Cheese (get it at the deli counter. and just ask for a hunk of it.)
    diced pickled jalapenos (this I will leave up to you. if you like it spicy, add about 1/4 cup, if not, toss in a few)
    fresh jalapenos to taste
    Directions:
    In a large saucepan, bring milk to a boil and then immediately remove from heat. Stir in the shredded cheese and pickled jalapenos. Whisk until smooth (working your arm muscles all the while). This could take about 5 minutes to get thoroughly smooth.
    Garnish with a couple of diced jalapenos.
    And serve.
    (makes about 2 1/2 cups)

Rusty246
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/13 12:23:18 (permalink)
    bdtn

kroger has a white jalapeno velvita type cheese that you just melt .it is just like what the mexican restraunts use here.all the mexi places
    here serve bad to lousey food its what the people here like.if you add green chilis its not to bad.

Publix does also, a couple of different brands both available in hot or mild.  It's in the cooler with the other cheeses.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/13 20:25:41 (permalink)
    Tex Mex places here in Texas are very serious about their Chile Con Queso! The recipes are secret. Most use some mixture of the cheeses FoodB mentioned w/ some other stuff. Here is my reca... oh wait... it's a secret. :~)

Many places serve it w/ or w/o sausage.
    Joe
    TacoDrew
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/14 11:43:50 (permalink)
    I'd be curious to know if there's any real difference between 'queso fundido' and 'chile con queso'.  I've had both, and have been hard pressed to find any real difference (beyond the differences you'd find within preparations that fall under either name).
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/14 17:38:32 (permalink)
    TacoDrew

I'd be curious to know if there's any real difference between 'queso fundido' and 'chile con queso'.  I've had both, and have been hard pressed to find any real difference (beyond the differences you'd find within preparations that fall under either name).

They're fundamentally the same. Authentic Fundido will more than likely use Queso Asadero. Chile con Queso might contain some different cheeses. "Queso" simply means Cheese. 
    queso fundido
    [KAY-soh fuhn-DEE-doh]
    Spanish for "melted cheese," referring to a dish (which is usually served as an appetizer) of just that — melted cheese.

post edited by Foodbme - 2010/08/14 17:41:52
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/14 18:01:00 (permalink)
    I think Chile Con Queso is a term coined by the early Tex Mex places. It sounded good on the menus.

Here is a place to start with the Gooey Jalapeno Queso. Use one or more of the softer cheeses from FoodB's neat list. Add some chopped nacho style, or already chopped (La Costena makes em) pickled jalapenos w/ some of tha jalapeno juice. Then add some kind of cream/milk product and melt it all together. Hey... it could end bein real good!?#@
    Joe
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/14 19:35:39 (permalink)
    Foodbyme
         Big news flash  - the Southeast has probably as many if not more Mexican/Central Americans as y'all out there in AZ  - come to think of it with your new laws probably more.  They work the  farmlands around here.  Here in Wilmington, NC there is a taquiria or TexMex shop on every other corner!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Flagged as Spam (2)
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/14 21:42:04 (permalink)
    ocdreamr

Foodbyme
         Big news flash  - the Southeast has probably as many if not more Mexican/Central Americans as y'all out there in AZ  -
    Not a chance. You don't understand the issues.
     come to think of it with your new laws probably more. 
    Yep, the Illegials are leaving. Going to CA and other places. You're welcome to have them.
    They work the  farmlands around here.  Here in Wilmington, NC there is a taquiria or TexMex shop on every other corner!
    Yep, but how many are owned or operated by Illegals? Probably not to many. This is a National Problem. Don't get me started!!! 

mrclean
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/15 00:38:00 (permalink)
    Hey asphalt pete- This is the real deal if you can get to one of the locations that sell this. It's fantastic, Good Luck

http://gordoscheesedip.com/
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/15 01:11:25 (permalink)
    I didn't say it was authenic mexican, I said tex-mex. there is a saying here that if the queso was yellow it was tex-mex, if it was white it was mexican.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/08/15 01:37:04 (permalink)
    ynotryme

I didn't say it was authenic mexican, I said tex-mex. there is a saying here that if the queso was yellow it was tex-mex, if it was white it was mexican.

OK, I'll buy that! Most all authentic Mexican Cheeses are White. Tex-Mex could be anything, including Velvetta.
    Bogeyman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/10/18 12:46:56 (permalink)
    It is tasty but there's nothing mysterious about it. I've asked about it at Mex places all over the Southeast & they all say the same. It's just white American cheese.
    Rusty246
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/10/18 12:57:15 (permalink)
    mrclean

Hey asphalt pete- This is the real deal if you can get to one of the locations that sell this. It's fantastic, Good Luck

http://gordoscheesedip.com/

This is the brand that I bought from Publix.  I bought mild for the kid's sake.  It was very mild.  Hot is more for me. $3.89 for 16oz.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:How do you make that white OOEY GOOEY jalapeno queso dip served in The South ??? 2010/10/18 22:53:28 (permalink)
    Rusty, just add some chopped pickled jalapenos, w/ some of the juice, to that Gordo's. That is a good way to liven up many things. LaCostena is my fav brand.There is a BIG diff in pickled jalapeno brands.

I want to try some Gordo's but it's not sold anywhere near me. I will find a way though.

Ricos makes a white cheese sauce. I think it might make a good base for queso. Maybe add some canned green chiles? Oh, and jalapenos.
    Joe
    post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/10/18 22:55:43
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1