Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

How do you order your eggs?

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 61
CNW

• Total Posts: 182
How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 3:09 AM (permalink)
The other thread discussing whether or not to add water or milk while scrambling your eggs got me to thinking about how I order my eggs. I grew up in a house where the eggs were fried in the left over bacon or sausage grease. I remember saying at a restaurant when I was very young that their eggs didn't taste right. My mother pointed out that they were using an oil not bacon grease and not to ask them to do so. For years after that I didn't give any thought to it, I just knew that the eggs I got in a restaurant were not going to have the flavor I loved.

Fast forward a quite a few years and several friends have developed an allergy to soybeans. I was out to breakfast with them and when they ordered they explained that they were allergic to soybeans and their eggs needed to be fried in butter. The cooks apparently did not receive the request and they got their eggs fried in the fake butter flavored oil that had soybeans. Apparently the side effects are unpleasant did not life threatening. The next time I went out for breakfast with them they ordered their eggs fried in bacon grease and the restaurant has no problem with doing it. So, now when I go out to breakfast my order is three over medium with bacon, fry the eggs in the bacon drippings.

CNW

Filetofish

• Total Posts: 59
    Re:How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 7:58 AM (permalink)
    I generally order over easy when out. Omelettes too.
    Fried over at home mostly.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
      Re:How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 9:10 AM (permalink)
      I like them lightly scrambled in butter and accompanied by salsa.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
        Re:How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 9:31 AM (permalink)
        It depends on where I'm doing the ordering. Most places can't prop[erly scramble eggs -- at least not as far as I'm concerned. I like mine soft scrambled. So, unless I'm in a place where I know they can do it right, I generally order them either over easy or poached. At a Waffle House I get them scrambled with cheese most often because that way they come out the way I like them.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 942
          Re:How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 10:17 AM (permalink)
          I don't have an allergy to soybeans, but I developed an allergy to eggs, so I haven't had one in 20 years. When I could eat them, it was either over easy, or fried with butter inside a piece of bread with a hole torn out of the center, or "egg in the hole", sometimes with cheese on top.

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 792
            Re:How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 10:26 AM (permalink)
            Over easy. I actually prefer soft scrambled, but too few restaurant cooks understand the concept

jajarino68

• Total Posts: 152
              Re:How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 11:56 AM (permalink)
              I order my eggs over medium at the restaurant. But at the house, my latest preference is a 3-minute eggs soft boiled.

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
                Re:How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 12:16 PM (permalink)
                Sunny Side Up......

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                  Re:How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 12:26 PM (permalink)
                  Over easy and fried in butter, please.  I need the runny yolk for dipping my toast and hash browns.

Brad
                  <message edited by ScreamingChicken on Mon, 02/20/12 2:30 PM>

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                    Re:How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 12:44 PM (permalink)
                    I like mine scrambled and browned in butter.  I will now hide for a while, while everyone else throws their raw eggs at me.

ALLGOOD

• Total Posts: 167
                      Re:How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 2:08 PM (permalink)
                      Over medium.  Some cooks get it,  some cooks don't ... just enough motion in the yolk to dip your toast in it, but not enough that it runs all over the plate and corrupts the bacon.  We had the most horrible cook at a local breakfast joint (George Webb's).  You had to order over hard to get over easy.  Geez.

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
                        Re:How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 2:24 PM (permalink)
                        A local diner here in St Louis, which is also featured on this site, puts the most comprehensive egg ordering legend on their menu.  I love it.  These are people who respect their eggs, and have the skill to pull it off, unlike the grill jockeys at your typical Dennys...Waffle House does a nice job if you sweet talk them. 

From Goody Goody diner....
                        Below is a description of how we will prepare our eggs. Please read carefully.
                        OVER EASY  yolks runny & whites slightly uncooked
                        OVER   yolks runny, whites lightly done
                        OVER MEDIUM  yolks soft & whites done
                        OVER MEDIUM/WELL  yolks firm & whites done
                        OVER WELL   yolks broken & whites starting to brown
                        BASTED  cooked in a skillet with steam
                        SCRAMBLED SOFT  eggs runny
                        SCRAMBLED MEDIUM   eggs still moist
                        SCRAMBLED  eggs are done
                        SCRAMBLED MEDIUM/WELL ...eggs are dry
                        SCRAMBLED WELL  eggs are dry and beginning to brown
                        UP   top of eggs completely uncooked

And I will order eggs differently, depending on my mood.  My preference, though, is for over medium or moist scrambled.   Allgood has it right!

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                          Re:How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 4:34 PM (permalink)
                          It has been my habit for many years to mix up my eggs with either hash browns, grits or corned beef hash. So it has to be over easy, over medium for me.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                            Re:How do you order your eggs? Mon, 02/20/12 5:18 PM (permalink)
                            I like to order my eggs over easy-as they are usually served over medium which is what I prefer. At home its a 5 minute boiled egg.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1209
                              Re:How do you order your eggs? Wed, 02/22/12 8:27 PM (permalink)
                              For some reason, no matter how I order my eggs, the eggs refuse to do what I tell them to do.

Bart

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                                Re:How do you order your eggs? Thu, 02/23/12 1:27 PM (permalink)
                                the grillman

A local diner here in St Louis, which is also featured on this site, puts the most comprehensive egg ordering legend on their menu.  I love it.  These are people who respect their eggs, and have the skill to pull it off, unlike the grill jockeys at your typical Dennys...Waffle House does a nice job if you sweet talk them. 

SCRAMBLED  eggs are done

And I will order eggs differently, depending on my mood.  My preference, though, is for over medium or moist scrambled.   Allgood has it right!

Basted are not steamed. Basted are well, basted with some sort of fat, butter or bacon grease. Those abve are what they are "steamed eggs".

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                  Re:How do you order your eggs? Thu, 02/23/12 1:58 PM (permalink)
                                  bartl

For some reason, no matter how I order my eggs, the eggs refuse to do what I tell them to do.

Bart

That's insubordination!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                    Re:How do you order your eggs? Thu, 02/23/12 3:28 PM (permalink)
                                    actually--steamed eggs ar4e different then basted--but they both ARE steamed--a basted egg is fried in a hot pan--usually with clarified butter--till almost set-then shake the pan to losedn the egg and add a basting liquid--can be water--i luike chiken stock--just a LITTLE--then cover and steam the eggs till the yolk is covered with a white hazy top and serve---great to dip your toast in.
                                    fishtaco

the grillman

SCRAMBLED  eggs are done

Basted are not steamed. Basted are well, basted with some sort of fat, butter or bacon grease. Those abve are what they are "steamed eggs".

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                      Re:How do you order your eggs? Thu, 02/23/12 3:32 PM (permalink)
                                      oh--and i like mine basted,over easy or scrambled MOIST--and my favorite way to cook eggs is by forming a hollow in some corned beef hash and putting eggs in them then "Baste" with a tad of stock and cover till the eggs cook to your spec--me--with runny yolks! :)

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                                        Re:How do you order your eggs? Fri, 02/24/12 9:24 AM (permalink)
                                        While soft boiled is my very favourite, I usually go with over easy. Then a nice dollop of milk gravy or mix them in with grits.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                                          • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:How do you order your eggs? Tue, 02/28/12 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                          Please make mine over medium (by the definition above) and served HOT (preferably on a prewarmed plate) Nothing cools and egg faster than putting it on 'cold china'.

My ideal egg breakfast has 3 eggs over medium, some very crispy hash browns or home fries, a good-sized Chicken-fried Steak (8 oz minimum) with a cup of sausage gravy on the side for dipping.  A small shot of red Tabasco on each yolk of the eggs to give them that bloodshot eye look that appeals to me.  Sourdough toast with butter and Orange marmalade. and a glass of Milk, please.

fishtaco

Re:How do you order your eggs? Tue, 02/28/12 1:27 PM (permalink)
                                            tiki

oh--and i like mine basted,over easy or scrambled MOIST--and my favorite way to cook eggs is by forming a hollow in some corned beef hash and putting eggs in them then "Baste" with a tad of stock and cover till the eggs cook to your spec--me--with runny yolks! :)

Ok, here is another post that says a basting an egg is done with stock or water. An egg is "basted" with butter or bacon fat. Water, stock, or whatever would only steam it.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                                              Re:How do you order your eggs? Tue, 02/28/12 2:53 PM (permalink)
                                              Didn't they have a law at one time (maybe still) in New Jersey I believe that they couldn't serve any eggs with runny yolks?

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:How do you order your eggs? Tue, 02/28/12 2:54 PM (permalink)
                                                3 eggs over easy, buttered grits, corned beef hash, a side of sausage patties and maybe some bacon thick cut and not totally crispy.

Michael Hoffman

Re:How do you order your eggs? Tue, 02/28/12 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                                  fishtaco

tiki

Ok, here is another post that says a basting an egg is done with stock or water. An egg is "basted" with butter or bacon fat. Water, stock, or whatever would only steam it.

Well, this is the way I've always done basted eggs. This is from a chef:

The basted egg starts like most, with the chicken, but we will move forward to the kitchen. Get a fry pan out, one that has a good lid to fit it, and hit it will some butter. Bring it up on medium high heat. And let the butter melt.

Once you have the fat up to temperature you want to crack some whole shell eggs into it. Sans the shells of course. If the temperature is correct the whites should start to change immediately.

Little salt and fresh ground pepper. If you like a yolk thicker, pierce the top of the yolk with a toothpick. Or a paring knife tip. Once the bottom has set and the white is getting nice and bright, add 3 Tbsp of basting liquid. Today I used chicken broth. Give the fry pan a shake
                                                  or two to get the water moved to all parts of the pan.

Through the cover on it. The steam and oil/water reaction is going to splatter the fat everywhere. And create a great amount of steam. This will serve to softly cook the top of the egg. No flipping and no rubbery egg white. Then you just monitor to your perfect level of "cooked" remove and serve.

And that my friends is the way to baste and egg. Great on their own, great on top a nice group of corn beef hash, excellent on top fried taters with green chili! Just an all round great way to prepare the wonderful EGG!

bartl

• Total Posts: 1209
                                                    Salmonella and Eggs Wed, 02/29/12 10:20 AM (permalink)
                                                    ces1948
                                                    Didn't they have a law at one time (maybe still) in New Jersey I believe that they couldn't serve any eggs with runny yolks?

First, to answer your question, there was a regulation passed in 1992, then quickly revoked over public outcry. Now, for the implied question.

Apparently, in some languages, there are multiple words for stating shades of truth, ranging from "this is the absolute truth", down to, "I heard it from an unreliable source". Given that...

The Food Network's Alton Brown has stated that the salmonella scare is greatly overblown; the chances of getting salmonella poisoning from fresh raw eggs is miniscule, and, unless your immune system is compromised, you're not going to get anything more than a minor upset stomach.

I noted that in a recent "Food Network Star" competition (yes, that is one of the very few "reality" shows I watch, mostly because of the supportive nature; no backstabbing allowed, and the judges seem to sincerely want to help every contestant win), that a contestant was criticized for using jarred mayonnaise instead of making his own, fresh. To me, that is a statement that the salmonella fear is way overblown. Haven't seen pastuerized eggs in the supermarket for a few years, either.

Bart

fishtaco

Re:How do you order your eggs? Wed, 02/29/12 1:20 PM (permalink)
                                                      Michael Hoffman

fishtaco

tiki

Well, this is the way I've always done basted eggs. This is from a chef:

The basted egg starts like most, with the chicken, but we will move forward to the kitchen. Get a fry pan out, one that has a good lid to fit it, and hit it will some butter. Bring it up on medium high heat. And let the butter melt.

Once you have the fat up to temperature you want to crack some whole shell eggs into it. Sans the shells of course. If the temperature is correct the whites should start to change immediately.

Little salt and fresh ground pepper. If you like a yolk thicker, pierce the top of the yolk with a toothpick. Or a paring knife tip. Once the bottom has set and the white is getting nice and bright, add 3 Tbsp of basting liquid. Today I used chicken broth. Give the fry pan a shake
                                                      or two to get the water moved to all parts of the pan.

Through the cover on it. The steam and oil/water reaction is going to splatter the fat everywhere. And create a great amount of steam. This will serve to softly cook the top of the egg. No flipping and no rubbery egg white. Then you just monitor to your perfect level of "cooked" remove and serve.

And that my friends is the way to baste and egg. Great on their own, great on top a nice group of corn beef hash, excellent on top fried taters with green chili! Just an all round great way to prepare the wonderful EGG!

Well, I'm not a chef, just a mere line cook, and I have never "basted" eggs with water nor broth. Do not cover them either, although I do know cooks who do. Do you baste a turkey with water?

Michael Hoffman

Re:How do you order your eggs? Wed, 02/29/12 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                                        I always baste a turkey with water. Not just any water, though. I use special turkey-basting water from Gaziantep.

fishtaco

• Location: Roachdale, IN
                                                          Re:How do you order your eggs? Wed, 02/29/12 2:38 PM (permalink)
                                                          Michael Hoffman

I always baste a turkey with water. Not just any water, though. I use special turkey-basting water from Gaziantep.

Michael you are a warped individuel!

<message edited by fishtaco on Wed, 02/29/12 3:10 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:How do you order your eggs? Wed, 02/29/12 2:40 PM (permalink)
                                                            Thank you. I appreciate it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 61

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com