How do you store cash on the cart?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
mdr411
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
2012/09/28 08:52:19 (permalink)

How do you store cash on the cart?

My opening night is this coming Thursday and I'm pretty excited.  My girlfriend will be there helping me and her job will be to take the orders and the money and move the customers out of the way to the condiment table.  Now that I'm preparing to do this I'm wondering how much change should we bring? A bunch of ones, fives and tens, few 20's...few rolls of quarters, pennies?  And how do you keep the cash organized?  We have a 3 pouch cash apron but what's the best way to handle change?  Do you use a cash box?  Damn...

I tried to search the forums and didn't find much so any tips would be appreciated...6 more days!  Woo Hoo!
post edited by mdr411 - 2012/09/28 10:24:24

48 Replies Related Threads

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 09:26:27 (permalink)
    Whatever you do...watch watch watch for counterfeit bills & look at every corner of every bill.. They are going around...and the denominations are getting smaller.

A hot dog vendor is a prime candidate to pass a bad bill. A new vendor on night one... is like Christmas morning.

Pennies? Hell no. Unless you want to hold a roll while making a fist...just in case someone tries to pass a bad bill. Rolls of dimes work best for that.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/09/28 09:47:50
    mdr411
    Junior Burger
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 10:25:38 (permalink)
    I hadn't even thought about counterfeits, but you're right, I'll definitely keep an eye out for those.  Thanks for the tip!
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 10:36:23 (permalink)
    I've seen as low as $5 and God forbid you don't realize it pass that along. That's big trouble. They are not only very good these days...it feels real...with enough hair spray.

One other thing since your working late hours. Have a conversation with your girlfriend about the potential with some comments that may happen. Many times it stuff that can be ignored or that's enough...but sometimes if its really bad (like I would love to blank blank blank blank blank) and you just stand there like she's got that...that can also eventually lead to an issue as well.
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 11:10:02 (permalink)
    I wouldn't start with more than $50 on the cart.   $5 in change; $1s; $5s & a $10   ... Don't take large bills $50s or $100s or make change for these separate from the till. Sometimes this is a test by robbers working as pairs to see where you keep the big bills, extra money bag and to see if you have more than a couple of $100s.     .... Move all $20s and excess $10s or $5s out of the till as soon as you can with out anyone watching.  Puts these in a bag and store in the cart.  If anyone attempts to rob you, it is not likely they will take the time to search the cart for extra money bags.  But, it is easy for them to take the till box or apron full of cash and run.   ... keep a minimum amount of money in the till ($40 - $50 or less).   The rest you will learn as you go.     ... I'd keep a small 380 or 38sp close by too. These are not good for long distance, but closeup where you can justify self-defense, these hurt and will make a robber backup.
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/09/28 11:21:58
    Foodborne Wellness
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 11:18:26 (permalink)
    I try to keep all $20 and above in a cashbox stashed inside the cart. I use an empty Kotex box to keep curious peekers out.

When you are rushed you just have to keep the Apron as organized as you can. Remember that cash is the germiest thing around, She needs to not touch anything until she washes her hands.
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 12:01:40 (permalink)
    I guess it depends on your price point...all of my stuff is priced at $1 increments with a few .50 increments.  I take some quarters, 1's and 5's.  Never needed anything more.  I keep them in order from 1's to 5's and fold them in half....when you make change keep your little stack of money in order as your making change and put the 1's and 5's in their right place.  I then fold it in half and put it back in my left pocket of the apron.  Whenever I get 10's or anything over I keep them in my pants front pocket...no need to have anyone think I have a stack of 20's to motivate them to rob me....ha ha.  All they see are the 1's and 5's.  Hopefully you're not making change with pennies and your stuff is priced accordingly. 
    RJT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 12:06:02 (permalink)
    Like CC said watch for counterfeits, get you a pen to check bills.
    I carry $50 in $1 and $100 in $5 bills and $20 in quarters. I carry this every time so I know exactly what I start with each time.

It also depends on what your pricing is that could effect what you take in change. If everything is even numbers no need for quarters.

I keep my money in a 3 pocket apron. I keep ones in my right pocket, quarters in middle pocket and fives in left pocket. I keep both ones and fives with a very light weight rubber band around them to keep them organized.

When you are busy it can become a habit to just stuff the bills and not keep them neat. It takes just a few seconds to keep them neat each transaction. It is safer to keep them neat because if not you run the risk of paying out the wrong amount or dropping a wad of money on the ground.

Take your time and work efficient but in a slow manner. If you get hectic you wil make mistakes and mess up.

Good luck!!
    post edited by RJT - 2012/09/28 14:20:20
    mdr411
    Junior Burger
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 14:05:11 (permalink)
    Those are some good tips, I appreciate all of the replies.  I am much better off now.  It's little things like this that make this forum a great place!  At least now I have more of an idea how to approach this.  All of our prices are in .50 cent increments so it shouldn't be too bad.  Thanks again!
    RJT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 14:19:48 (permalink)
    BTW, I keep my tens and twenties that I get inside a money bag I keep in my bread box area on my cart. I tray and keep the large bills out of my change apron so I dont hand someone by accident.

Also, lay the customers money where it is visible (put something on top of it to not blow away) and count back their change. Make sure that the transaction is complete before you put their money away.

Either on purpose or by accident people sometimes think they paid with a larger bill than they did.
    post edited by RJT - 2012/09/28 14:26:45
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 14:23:32 (permalink)
    Oh my God! Carrying a 38 in these parts will have him hot doggin in the pokey...in no time!
    edwmax
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 15:09:35 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

Oh my God! Carrying a 38 in these parts will have him hot doggin in the pokey...in no time!

You have 2nd Amendment rights.  I suggest getting the proper license/ID card.   Putting the criminal in his grave is better then you sending 2 months in a hospital.   http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/new-jersey.aspx

Also, for your info, it happens anywhere, even NJ:

09/14/12
    Pharmacist Dr. John Agyemang was working his shift at Jolin’s Pharmacy in Winslow, N.J. when an armed robber entered the store and demanded Oxycontin pills. Agyemang responded by retrieving a gun and firing at the criminal, who fled to a bike and into a nearby wooded area.
    An investigation revealed that Agyemang had a firearm owner’s identification card as required by New Jersey law. When asked about his actions Agyemang was humble, stating, “I'm no hero, but I thought, either him or I.” (CBS News, 09/14/12)   http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen.aspx

I'll bet after eating a couple of those pills that criminal would get the munches for a Hot Dog then harass a hard working Cart vender and rob him.   ...???...
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/09/28 15:13:14
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 15:41:42 (permalink)
    That's not a carry permit.
    edwmax
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 15:50:27 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

That's not a carry permit.

Why isn't a 'proper license' a carry permit if that is what is required?    Your own statement indicates the permit is available.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 15:55:11 (permalink)
    Because there strict restrictions in certain States when & how you can carry a gun....like here & there.
    edwmax
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 16:15:02 (permalink)
    I referenced NJ code as listed on the NRA website.  You only need to be concerned with NJ not other states unless you plan to carry in those states too.       You should comply with applicable restrictions as imposed by NJ.    However, you do have a right to obtain a license to carry for self-defense.

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 16:19:38 (permalink)
    You can apply(to carry) but will be denied 99.999% of the time.. NYC too. I believe the Gun Control Act of 1998 covers MA....as well. You can apply but unless you are in big time security and ex-law enforcement officer...a celebrity ...no way.

No way a hot dog vendor would be approved for special circumstances. I'm not saying they should be denied. I just know it's between 1-3 years in prison without a carry permit. Even if you are legal to carry in another State....don't bring to NYC...for sure. People get arrested every day...thinking they have right to carry.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/09/28 16:31:27
    edwmax
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 17:09:12 (permalink)
    That might be since the decision to issue is left up to the discretion of a judge.    ". . and to others who can establish an urgent necessity for carrying guns for self-protection"     I'm not sure if this is the way it is stated in your code, but a street vendor in constant contact with the public & criminals walking the street should easily qualify.    You only need to provide a few newspaper clipping of muggings and robberies in your area.     If you are denied (I believe you would be) appeal and ask the NRA for help.

Next it looks like in your state code, it is easier to get an FID and keep a loaded shotgun in the cart.

I think you don't need a carry permit if your business is a fixed location.

Anyway, if you don't want a carry permit, that is your business.  We don't need to debate NJ gun laws here.

I've been permitted for 34 years.  The Judge attempted to deny my application, I told her that I would be in her office in 30 minute to pickup the permit.   She had just finished laminating it when I walked in her door.

Over 34 years, i have drawn it 3 times.

post edited by edwmax - 2012/09/28 17:46:22
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 17:22:29 (permalink)
    I'd love a carry permit. My Father has been a military gun collector since before I was born. If he can't get a carry permit...I'd never be able to get one.
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 17:24:07 (permalink)
    They make tighty-whitey safes. They look like underwear, skidmarks included. Ya load yer valueables in and throw it on the floor. Who would touch it?
    Me, when I get a bunch of twentys, I stuff them in a cleaned out mustard package.(Frenches opaque).
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 17:28:51 (permalink)
    Who would think to grab on of these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00115UZ6M?dpm=1
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 21:38:11 (permalink)
    I'm sure you know to think twice before carrying a handgun on the cart. It may be an idea for in your car on the way home but unless you're Paladin (look it up) or Matt Dillon you are probably not going to have time to drop your weenie and draw your gun before some guy who already has his drawn under his coat blows you away. Just give them the money, its not worth it.
    Regular days I start with $70 in quarters, fives, tens, 25 ones in an orderly single wad. Gets to be to much in the wad I remove it to another pocket. Wrap the customers tender around my pinky until transaction is done.

BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/28 21:59:01 (permalink)
    they make soda can safes. but I see how that can turn bad on a hot dog cart.
    edwmax
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/29 06:53:01 (permalink)
    Tristan225

I'm sure you know to think twice before carrying a handgun on the cart. It may be an idea for in your car on the way home but unless you're Paladin (look it up) or Matt Dillon you are probably not going to have time to drop your weenie and draw your gun before some guy who already has his drawn under his coat blows you away. Just give them the money, its not worth it.

You watch too much TV.     ... He'll never see mine, but I'll need a new coat because of the burning hole.    The armed holdup guys will always get the drop on you first.  You wont know what is happening until he pulls his gun.    ... but these guys are probably (not always) the least likely to hurt you.  it's the crazies with the knife or (2 or 3) that think they can beat your ass and take what they want, that will put you in the hospital.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/29 08:18:05 (permalink)
    It's something that won't be an option for the OP. So...maybe options for him to watch his back before Bobby comes around and says we are too political.
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/29 08:32:36 (permalink)
    Edw gotta agree somewhat, except about the TV. Those shows are cool.

I'm pretty liberal, but I swear I have no idea what to do about gun violence. Figured someone would misinterpret my post. I started shooting when I was pretty little and my son was a pretty accomplished skeet shooter. 
    post edited by Tristan225 - 2012/09/29 08:40:38
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 726
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/30 20:38:07 (permalink)
    In Oakland, CA a young boy was killed at his fathers Mexican food truck...I also saw a video of a vendor shooting back at robbers..

In my area, the sheriff or police chief issues the CCW permits...and you need to prove you're in a high risk situation with large sums of cash...

But you'd never pull a weapon & fire if there are innocent citizens downrange...and having a loaded firearm, no matter how legal and how many permits you have, could also affect your insurance rates...

Of course, I'd never advocate for a person to carry a firearm unless I KNOW thay're trained, responsible, sober, and have a cool head...

Hidden locations, such as a small bin or shelf welded INSIDE a convient place you'd normally access frequently anyway (so you don't draw undue attention), maybe where you store your buns is something to consider...
    I had a hidden metal drop bos weld into our HD cart with a hidden slot I could access on the sly...

I had a another (non food) venture where I used to have a metal lock box, the size of a cigar box, bolted inside to the vending kiosk I was running, and it had a drop slot, so bills could be stuffed in, and only I had the key...and neighboring vendors could also make a sale if I was away and stuff money in the drop slot (it was not a food vending kiosk)...

I don't like the idea of a soda can secret safe, because a spotter could be watching you fumble with it a few times a day (I don't know how rough the neighborhood of the original poster is)...if you want a secret safe, try a  dummy cleaning spray (if they exist)

If you have a lot of cash I'd weld in a secret drop box, or arrange for a very trusted family or business partner to come and get your cash drops and deposit them (if you bank your money) and make it look like an innocent order to go in a bag...

I agree about ALWAYS putting the customers bills in secure but plain site until the transaction is complete...a spring clip could be used for this...that way there is NO dispute on the bill denomination, plus it builds customer confidence, and yes, DO count back the change (some folks have forgotten how)...

I'd get one of those bill marking pens...it takes less than 5 seconds to mark a bill...I once got a "questionable bill" FROM A BANK, so now when they pay me money I always insist on them running the bills through one of them bill scanning counters...

Handling cash means you might want to keep some hand sanitizer on hand for your order taker, and IF you also handle food you must wash hands after touching money (my county HD busted a few businesses for that)...
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/30 21:12:11 (permalink)
    Out here you have to take the food handlers course and wear glove to handle the food. gloves on for food, gloves off for non food.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/09/30 22:21:33 (permalink)
    You can't just rely on a bill pen. A bill pen simply verifies if a bill is on legal tender paper. Counterfeiters bleach-out a $5 and re-print $100.

You have to check the security bar...it will read USA FIVE or whatever correct denomination amount...and a watermark of the correct President...for that bill or a large numeral 5.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/09/30 22:29:52
    Delta
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re:How do you store cash on the cart? 2012/10/01 00:53:42 (permalink)
    now heres a twist, if ;you had to take your gloves off at every money transaction, you'd run out of gloves!  I dont think there is a problem with taking money and serving food, no?  Let me know.  it wasnt covered in my training at all, there is no cross contamination etc.  The person gives you the money, and you provide them the food.  Otherwise, if there was a problem, EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES WOULD HAVE TO WEAR GLOVES everywhere they went?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1