How do you treat the competition?

Author
Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1196
2005/08/17 19:13:41 (permalink)

How do you treat the competition?

This week a local restaurant was caught with bugs in the broccoli. It was reported in the news. One of the staff from the competition that is directly across the street posted the following on a local message board.

quote:
Well i hope everyone has heard about the Buggs in the BRocili inccodent at the China Resturant ..lol Uh Oh, no more beef and broccilii eh haha. Anyways it was a Huge issue, and their buisness will suffer. And the funny thing is , is that they tried to pin it on the company they buy from, which is nonsence, because we recieved the same batch at Bamboo hut, and a guy came examined it, and we wer A OK, so keep that in mind when you would like asian, Chinese Thai, etc, and remember We at the Bamboo hut are Bugg Free =]
S.T-

Although I'm not in the restaurant business, I do own a business. I indicated that his post probably wasn't a very good idea and was poohooed by several other posters. What say you!

12 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: How do you treat the competition? 2005/08/17 19:49:51 (permalink)
    In my opinon, I think you should focus on your own product and let it sell itself. What the other guy does is his or her own thing.

If you got something that is worth selling, sale it.

Let the other folks make their mistakes.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: How do you treat the competition? 2005/08/17 20:17:53 (permalink)

I agree with Paul...at least once! Let the other guy fall by himself. There is always a chance that "what goes around, will come around". It could be you in the "taking a hit position" someday .
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: How do you treat the competition? 2005/08/17 20:22:33 (permalink)
    My thought is, is to never lower yourself to the competitions level, as it only makes you look smaller.

In addition what happens if you ever run out of broccoli and you need to borrow some. The guy across the street isn't going to lend it to you. Although if he did I'd certainly wash and rinse it well before cooking.

I think you took the right road, and that the poo pooer's may be in the habit of blaming others when they in fact screwed up. That kind of thinking can only lead to problems.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: How do you treat the competition? 2005/08/18 13:22:37 (permalink)
    I sent the fellow a pretty straight forward e-mail; I think we got him back on the straight and narrow. He’s pretty young but thinking he would like to go into the restaurant business. As he’s a nice fellow I thought this would be a good lesson to learn early on. God knows I’ve made my share of business blunders. The one thing I’ve learned is that if there’s ever an opportunity not to say something, take it!
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2014
    RE: How do you treat the competition? 2005/08/18 13:42:41 (permalink)
    A few things that I have learned from older and wiser people after a long career in several industries:
    "Never speak ill of the competition, because you could be working there next month"
    "Bad Karma comes back to you"
    "You are not as funny and personable as you think you are, listen to the customer"
    "If a deal looks too good to be true, it is"
    and as applies to this thread: "If your competition has a problem, learn from it, because it is only a matter of time until it happens to you"
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: How do you treat the competition? 2005/08/18 17:34:26 (permalink)
    Theedge,

I think you did that young man a great service. I commend you on the tactic you took with him.

I have found that people learn much more from their mistakes then they ever will from their successes.

Good job

P.S. That compliment and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee plus unlimited refills at one of our local mom and pops
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: How do you treat the competition? 2005/08/21 18:39:30 (permalink)
    Never overlook the opportunity to shut your mouth. That works well in any business.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: How do you treat the competition? 2005/08/21 21:27:21 (permalink)
    Within the restaurant community in my town it is not unusual for chefs to dine at other places that could be considered the competition. We all try to give each other business. I don't know of any undermining or dogging going on. Maybe I'm in the dark, but I feel there is a good support system here. Everyone wants the others to have a good, profitable restaurant. It's to everyone's benefit.
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: How do you treat the competition? 2005/08/22 15:01:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

I follow my mother's advice: "Mind your own business."

[Works in relationships with family, friends and SO (significant other), as well as business.

CK
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: How do you treat the competition? 2005/08/23 07:50:21 (permalink)
    perhaps, you should guide that young man to this forum, maybe some of our experience and good natures will rub off on him....
    my closet 'competitior' is a pizza shop,,,, well, i love pizza and they love bbq. we actually advertise for each other. i have his menu on my counter, and he has mine. doesnt hurt either one of us. i think all restaurants should feel confident enough in their own wares to do this.
    Shirley U. Jest
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: How do you treat the competition? 2005/09/14 21:05:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    A few things that I have learned from older and wiser people after a long career in several industries:
    "Never speak ill of the competition, because you could be working there next month"
    "Bad Karma comes back to you"
    "You are not as funny and personable as you think you are, listen to the customer"
    "If a deal looks too good to be true, it is"
    and as applies to this thread: "If your competition has a problem, learn from it, because it is only a matter of time until it happens to you"

So eloquently put.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: How do you treat the competition? 2005/09/14 22:40:00 (permalink)
    This is one of the few times when never is a work we should use. NEVER,NEVER insult or "throw stones" at your competitors.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1